Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

d0s posted:

I added the CDi and 3DO to the OP, but I'm a little unclear about some things re those systems, any info that would go in a one paragraph buyer's guide for each would be great, and some greats/cult classics for CD-i as I know absolutely nothing about it's library.

The most common problem with the CD-i is a dead timekeeper battery, and with the exception of the 300 series (the portable model with attached monitor), it was not designed to be easily replaceable. The closest thing the CD-i probably has to greatness are Labyrinth of Crete and Merlin's Apprentice, puzzle games by the creator of The Fool's Errand—and I'm just going off reputation here, as I've yet to play them myself. There are some good ports of then-graphically impressive PC adventure games like The 7th Guest, Litil Divil, and Lost Eden. Apprentice is one of the more popular CD-i titles, notable only in that it's a competently designed platformer on a system almost totally devoid of those.

Edit: Also a very large percentage of CD-i software requires the Digital Video Cartridge expansion, which the earlier models don't come with.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've never owned one of those remotes, and I feel like I've missed out on an essential part of the cd-i experience.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

And I somehow forgot Illusion of Gaia! One of the best games ever. Makes you fight every boss again at the end.

As Shadow—the last character anyone would want to use, if given a choice. I remember being really pissed off that the pyramid boss was such an ordeal in the boss rush (genuinely hard, or just tedious, I can't recall) when she wasn't particularly difficult to begin with.

A boss rush as a separate mode is fine, though in most cases I probably wouldn't be interested in playing it. I guess I don't mind them too much in the main game if they're not much of an inconvenience and give you a "look how far I've come" moment, but they're just padding almost all of the time.

One of the reasons Radiant Silvergun is my favorite shmup is that it barely even reuses normal enemies in a genre where reusing all the bosses is the norm. The story mode does add a "boss rush" before the final boss, but it's a series of unique bosses not seen anywhere else.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 21, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Rirse posted:

Even through they show up in later Castlevania games (or every game as in the case with Death), I like Super Castlevania boss rush against Gaibon Slogra, and Death, who you do not fight at all at this point in the game. All while this creepy piano track plays.

And the lead-up to the unique boss rush is a nail-bitingly tense scramble up a tower with collapsing staircases, pursued by a giant circular saw blade. It's one of the all-time great final levels for sure.

Hell, I can think of maybe one level in Castlevania IV that isn't stunningly over-the-top awesome (Level 5), and even then it's drat atmospheric.

Forever a criminally underrated game in my mind, because even as widely loved as it is, it's never gotten the level of praise Castlevania 3 or SotN have—and it's one of the best games ever made.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

sinking belle posted:

I saw a guy walking around wearing an Illusion of Gaia shirt like a decade ago and I have never been so envious of a piece of merch.

I actually bought one of these years ago, unworn and in original packaging, and the drat thing disintegrated. Don't buy one to wear unless you want to cosplay gamer Hulk Hogan.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

al-azad posted:

Maybe I'll hear it one day walking around in a Sears or something but it's up there with Battle Against A Weak Opponent as "song that totally sounds like an early 90s pop song."

...you don't recognize Tequila?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Town themes in rpgs always take me back.

I think because they are always either peaceful or upbeat, and also always catchy. There's games where I hated every song in the game except the town theme.

To take that even further, the town themes might actually be the single best thing about Beyond the Beyond. It's some of Sakuraba's best work, I think.

Mountain Cottage (always thought this was very pretty)

Isla Village (very reminiscent of early King Crimson)

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 29, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Here's the first song to sample a video game—from 1975!

Gentle Giant - Time to Kill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TWcWhD32nI

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 31, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Allen Wren posted:

I mentioned this in another thread where we were talking about games, I figure I might as well mention it here as well, since it's about retro-style gaming and a game that is, itself, retro at this point.

http://nurium.com/breakquest.html

BreakQuest, which is probably the best-looking, best-sounding update on the Breakout/Arkanoid formula I've ever seen, is now free to own with a serial posted right underneath the download link on the developers' site. The only problem is that you have to force it into pillarbox mode since it was made for 4:3 displays and stretches to fill the screen in full-screen mode.

Honestly, give this piece a try if you're even vaguely interested. It's got physics out the wazoo. Ball moves based on how hard you hit it with what shape your bat happens to be at the time, blocks can move (sometimes connected on wires, sometimes free-floating), your ball can change shape or acquire smaller balls that orbit around the larger one or both, AND EVERYTHING PRODUCES A MILLION GODDAMN PARTICLES. :pcgaming:

It's like 12 years old at this point, but what's the last you heard out of the genre worth a drat? Seriously. Give it a go. I love the hell out of it.

Oh, hey, other fans of this game do exist. It's the best game in its genre. Yes, better than Shatter even. Also, the soundtrack is totally great.

There's a sequel, but it's a PS Vita exclusive (?!) and plays like rear end.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Ofecks posted:

Seta's Thunder And Lightning

Those loving turtle blocks! :argh:

d0s posted:

Are you talking about the C64 game because idk if it really fits into that genre, it's like it's own genre

Unless you're thinking of Devilish which is a wizard themed breakout clone (and also rad as heck)

They probably meant Wizorb, which is also very good, but I'd put it at a distant third behind BreakQuest and Shatter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtLZQnb4NiE

This is BreakQuest: Extra Evolution, the PS Vita-exclusive sequel. Because you basically need a mouse or trackball (or one of those cool Arkanoid dial controllers) to do this sort of game well, the play control is bad, and they made the game extremely easy (slow ball, a constantly refilling barrier) to compensate. To put this in perspective, it's a freemium title on Vita, and I completed it 100% paying $0 and getting every trophy except the ones for losing 50 balls and playing 24 hours.

It's a shame this never got a proper PC release, as the aesthetic's as cool as the first game's, and it has actual boss fights.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 5, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I've never been into Breakout-style games - some of them seem close enough to shooting games that I think I should enjoy them (especially the explicitly shooty ones like Gunbarich) but they always feel mega-random to me and I never stick with them.

You should still give BreakQuest a shot, as one of its main mechanics is a limited gravity control button. You pretty much never end up in the situation of bouncing the ball around the same stage for ages trying to hit the last lousy block.

d0s posted:

Has Firestriker been mentioned yet because it's another good fantasy themed breakout, this time on snes

I don't think it has, but it's one of the great forgotten co-op games for sure.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I think it's the Taito collections that had extra games on Xbox?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I was too young to care when I first played it, but in retrospect Yoshi has got to be one of the worst commercially released puzzle games, right? I mean, it's not painful to play, but there's really not much of a game there.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Charles Get-Out posted:

On the reverse, Radiant Silvergun prices have pretty much tanked to the oh-so-cheap $100-ish :v:

$20 more than I spent on it in 1999—that's pretty surprising. It's one of my absolute favorite games, and I was always irritated by how there was kind of a backlash against it when it was at its most unacquirable, but I understood.

Rirse posted:

Is the NES 'dogbone' controller worth getting? I am buying a rgb/multi-out NES 2 from Monitor Burn as it not much more then modding my NES...plus I always wanted to get a NES 2 again after having one as a kid. But I forgot it had a new style controller, which Monitorburn didn't have any.

They seem to go for 30 for real ones and 8 for knockoff.

I still like the feel of the original NES controllers better, but that might just be nostalgia. The dogbone's a perfectly good controller, but I have no experience with the knockoffs.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 24, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

West SAAB Story posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it, but if anyone is looking to buy an :intv: , I have several in very good condition that I have been hoarding (and playing, and rebuilding) for decades. Time to pick up the reigns and move on, so if there is any interest, hit me up and I'll put together some bundles. I don't even remember how many 2609A units I have. I know I have an Inty III, a Sears version, and pretty sure at least a handful of Inty IIs.

I might be interested—well, I am interested but I dunno if I have the money for it right now. Intellivision's a big gap in my gaming knowledge from that era, for whatever reason.

According to wikipedia. the Intellivision III was never released, though?

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 7, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Random Stranger posted:

Let me throw this question out there: what's the most cheerful game you can think of to go back and play? Not for nostalgia, but actually cheerful gaming?

For me it's Katamari Damacy. You can't be sad while you're rolling things up.

For me it's relatively easy games that look super, super slick when you play them well. Off the top of my head, Castlevania IV (awesomely precise whip control, moonwalking on stairs), Streets of Rage 2 (defeating bosses without getting hit by cancelling their attacks, throwing enemies for crowd control), and Kirby's Adventure (skillful use of the slide, killing enemies by falling on them, triggering the mix roulette, actually making situational use of borderline-useless powers like Ball).

The Kirby series in particular defines "easy to play, difficult to master" for me. It's really, really gratifying to play for imaginary style points, and you're never stuck for long—if at all—when you gently caress up.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

d0s posted:

city connection

This is such an underappreciated game, and it's really distinctively weird even by the standards of '80s arcade games.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I don't think I've ever gotten a clear answer to this, but does the PSN release of Suikoden 2 have all the same bugs as the disc version, like the missing music tracks, and the Suikoden 1 protagonist's name not transferring properly?

al-azad posted:

Legend of Mana is the best in the series :colbert:

I might have liked Legend of Mana if it had some semblance of challenge. There were a lot of neat combat mechanics you had no reason to pay attention to because nothing was as effective as just equipping a spear, holding forward, and mashing attack.

Random Stranger posted:

[*]Chrono Cross (the first part in SquareSoft's "inferior PS1 sequels that are only tangentially related to the beloved original game" duology)

I think most of the criticism heaped on Chrono Cross is warranted (not what anyone wanted in a sequel, poor pacing, bad at telling its own story, a largely generic and interchangeable cast of characters), but I still love it to death. It is gorgeous and completely nuts. There is nothing in Chrono Trigger as great as the whole Dead Sea/Tower of Geddon segment of Cross, but most of Cross is definitely long stretches of very atmospheric tedium punctuated by moments of staggering brilliance.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 17, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

d0s posted:

edit: gotta admit to not loving the majority of konami shooters, gradius in particular.

I want so badly to like Gradius and its ilk (I own a surprisingly large number of Konami shooters for someone who doesn't), but it always comes down to accumulating all the right powerups and hoping you don't gently caress up. Dying once is effectively a game over in most of them.

Ultimately, I don't think I'm much of a fan of shmups as a genre. I'll always carry a torch for Radiant Silvergun because in my eyes it's the rare example of a game that does everything right, but beyond that I honestly couldn't tell you what my favorite shmups are—at least in the sense of games that I truly enjoy playing rather than games I recognize are well-crafted but ultimately aren't really my thing. Maybe Megamania on Atari 2600 for the cool enemy wave patterns and nostalgia factor. I remember liking Super R-Type a lot, but I tried playing it again recently, and there is no loving way I beat this without a Game Genie.

Edit: Oh, Gyruss, of course. Arcade or NES version. Gyruss loving rules.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 19, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

flyboi posted:

And then there was this

Which I figured was going to be incredibly racist. I rolled the dice. They just fart for a minute straight and it's over.

Is it to the tune of Turkey in the Straw or something, or just regular farting?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

d0s posted:

They seem to be expanding a lot, hopefully they bring one to south florida, we used to have a bunch of good arcades but most have closed down or fallen into disrepair

You don't by chance remember Bigfoot's Arcade in Sunrise, do you? That was my childhood arcade, and it must have closed sometime in the late '90s (I remember them having Street Fighter 3 one of the last times I visited, and they for sure didn't last into the DDR era).

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

d0s posted:

I think they had moved at some point because I remember an arcade near where Google says they were but on the east side of University Drive and a bit further north (by commercial blvd) that I used to go to in the mid-late 90's. Tons of old golden age stuff, a Raystorm machine that was one of the first machines I really spent time trying to clear/score on, all the typical mid-90's fighters, etc. I remember playing a ton of Daytona USA there too. My place for SF3 when that came out was Blockbuster golf and games in Plantation by 595 though (where ikea is now), but I think I do remember that place on University getting it quite a bit later and then closing down soon after.

I remember Bigfoot's moving at some point too, and I think both locations were on University, but it's been so long. I don't remember them having Raystorm, but it's not the sort of game that would have caught my eye back then. I first went there around 1990, and I was obsessed with Robocop and Ninja Turtles. After fighters got big, I remember them having Samurai Shodown and Super Street Fighter 2 on large screens, side by side, along with eye-catchingly awful stuff like Time Killers. I played a whole lot of Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder there. As far as golden age stuff, I specifically remember Asteroids, Joust, Bubbles, and Galaga and Tron side by side—which somehow got combined in my memory into a game called Galagan, and I was deeply confused years later when I couldn't find any record of this game I swore totally existed.

quote:

Blockbuster golf&games was a crazy place with one of those full size Ridge Racer setups with the real Miata you sit in, R360 and Virtuality stuff and a pretty great selection of normal cabs. I miss all these places a lot

Yessss, Blockbuster Golf & Games! I couldn't remember the name of that place, but I loved going there. Probably more for the mini golf, though, as I can't recall anything specific about the arcade.

Edit: I was about to PM you to reminisce about South Florida childhoods, but I see I already did this two years ago and forgot about it. :lol:

I'm lucky enough to live pretty close to the best arcade I've seen since the '90s right now. It helps make living in Arkansas bearable.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 20, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

d0s posted:

Grand Prix changed their name to Boomer's and lasted for quite a while and their arcade was shockingly good, but poorly maintained. That was my place for Giga Wing, Raystorm, a Raiden game I can't remember, Prop Cycle, Battle Gear 3, Planet Harriers, and various fighters as the FGC scene there was fantastic.

I vaguely remember Boomer's, and I doubt I went there more than once or twice. Like a lot of people, I mostly stopped going to arcades once consoles could offer a comparable or better experience. I first played DDR at the Gameworks at Sawgrass Mills, and even that I played at home/the dorms almost exclusively. Never even considered that arcades might vanish altogether, or that I'd really miss them.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

kirbysuperstar posted:

On another note entirely, I want to hear everyone's "favorite" bad port. Maybe it stands out to you for being exceedingly shite, maybe you have a big ol' soft spot for it regardless.

The NES version of Ikari Warriors II: Victory Road is my "favorite" for standing out as probably the worst port and worst licensed game on the system. When I finally found out about Mironics (the uncredited actual developer of many infamously bad NES ports), the sudden huge jump in the quality of SNK's NES releases made perfect sense.

I do have a real affection for the ugly, flickery NES version of Bad Dudes because it was one of my first NES games, it was at the very least playable, and it was the first game I ever finished (thanks to the extra lives code). Plus the music is arguably better than the arcade version's, and "AHM BAHD" is just hilarious.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

kirbysuperstar posted:

Double Dragon for the 2600 is a good one. It was kind of impressive. A lot of colours, still had the Double Dragon jingle and I guess it kind of looked like Double Dragon. Still played like poo poo and also I can't imagine it sold too many copies in '89.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDQ-iK31JLQ

This is pretty sad yet also kind of admirable. Sadmirable? I love that one of your main attacks is an extremely casual pose with your elbow sticking out a bit.

What's the most visually impressive 2600 game, anyway? Pole Position?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

DeathBySpoon posted:

Any other suggestions for lesser known NES titles?

When I brought my NES to the dorms, my housemates and I all ended up hooked on (and actively competing to get farther in) 3D Adventures of World Runner, of all things. I'm still not sure why that happened.

Orb-3D definitely belongs in the "great concept, horrible execution" pile, but I'd recommend it if you think a deeply flawed, experimental Breakout variant would be at all your kind of thing.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I think Nez and Snezz were a European thing, maybe specifically British. The only person I've ever personally known who called them that is British, anyway.

I'm at work so I can't access YouTube, but pretend I linked that prank call video with the guy calling a game store and asking if they had any Puss-threes or Puss-pees.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Me at the Swap Shop in 2004: Ehhh, I'm not sure I really want to pay $30 for this CIB 32x.

As interesting a piece of gaming history as it would be to own, and as much as I would love to have a complete Segazord, I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to buy one now. It was then or never.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

d0s posted:

the only good thing I ever found at a pawn shop was robo aleste for 5 bucks and this was no joke like 17 years ago

Sealed Lightening Force for $5, in 2011.

Conker's Bad Fur Day for $5 I can't remember when, but after it became a hot item.

CIB Super Mario Bros. for $20, a few months ago.

Most pawn shop trips I leave empty-handed, but they're the only place I have even the slightest hope of finding anything good anymore.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The Lightening Force was from a pawn shop in Meriden, CT I went to once on vacation (which had quite a bit of retrogaming stuff), and the Conker's Bad Fur Day was from one in Columbia, MO that I went to multiple times, but they never had anything else exciting.

The SMB was from a place in Fayetteville, AR that barely had any video game stuff. It was like: a few random PS3 games, a couple of SNES sports titles, complete Super Mario Bros. in excellent condition. :psyduck:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I have a nerdroom with four consoles hooked up at once, in addition to the PS3 and Wii U in the living room, and my only gaming related activities the past two weeks have been Elder Scrolls Online on my days off and watching LPs on my Vita to fall asleep. I don't have the time for gaming that I used to, but more than that it's like I don't have the necessary mental energy to enjoy it. I'd love to get totally engrossed in a RPG like I used to, but maybe that'll have to wait until I retire.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

d0s posted:

this is the only sailor moon game i like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EizPltEFypw

This game is practically a Streets of Rage clone, down to details like the delayed punch stunlock trick working exactly the same. If not for the generally dull level design, it could've been one of my favorite arcade beat-'em-ups.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

njsykora posted:

Mario Party 4 is easily the worst in the series and the Mini/Mega system and bland board design is a big part of that.

Mario Party 4 was the first one I played, and it was so bad that I never bought another.

I watched that Mario Party series LP in its entirety (years ago, I don't even think 9 was out yet), and came away from it with the opinion that the only entries in the series I'd even consider owning are 3 and 5.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

TheHoosier posted:

except Light Crusader which even then is alright.

Light Crusader is definitely too short, but I really enjoy it and don't think it deserves its bad reputation at all. I'll even go as far as to say I prefer it over Landstalker, if only because it's not horrendously, spirit-breakingly difficult.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 24, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Kea posted:

Decided to break in the cheapo controller with Mega Man 2, I have only completed it before with savestates so its been a royal pain in the rear end thus far but Im enjoying it and enjoying looking at the old pixel graphics. Might move onto a different mega man or maybe earthbound afterwards.

I recommend Mega Man 6, as it's one of the easier ones, and has my second-favorite Mega Man powerup of all time (the jet suit). The stage/boss design is pretty hit or miss, and the password system doesn't save E tanks for whatever reason, but ultimately I think it's one of the best of the classic series.

And as far as Mega Man-like games that aren't Mega Man go, I highly recommend Shatterhand.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Quiet Feet posted:

My mom was freakishly good at Dr. Mario, and my mother-in-law also shares the same talent, according to my wife. I'm just assuming at this point that it's the one game that all moms are good at. Like it's something genetic that gets triggered once you've produced offspring.

Edit: Come to think of it, when my aunt gave me her old NES if you years ago, Dr. Mario was the only game she had for it too. :tinfoil:

Until now I wasn't aware Dr. Mario was The Mom Game outside my own family. How strange.

My dad never liked video games, except for showing a brief interest in Pilotwings. On his first attempt, and probably the first time he ever held a SNES controller, he got a near-perfect score on the first light plane stage. The landing was flawless—he just missed a couple of points following the trail to the runway. This is the same guy, who when I later asked him to talk to the townspeople in the RPG Maker game I was working on, held the PS1 controller up to his mouth and said "hello?"

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 4, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Quiet Feet posted:

It's a New Age Retro Christmas Part 3: It's a Euphemism for Testicles.

Ballz 3D is one of those 16-bit era games that, due to a combination of marketing, presence in "game secrets" books, and general availability, seemed to have been a much bigger deal at the time than it actually was. My mental image of the SNES case at Target around 1995 has Ballz 3D alongside the likes of Brutal: Paws of Fury, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, and Zoop.

I want to say I'm glad I never bought it, but my standards for fighting games at that age were so low that I wonder if I might have enjoyed it anyway. I played the hell out of Tuff E Nuff and the Genesis Power Rangers game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It played decently enough and had fun characters that weren't all patterned after Street Fighter characters, I'll give it that. I've never really had the patience to get MUGEN up and running, but I think Tuff E Nuff would provide good fodder for that. K's's undodgeable lightning projectiles would probably be far from the most bullshit overpowered thing in that environment.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Quiet Feet posted:

On closer inspection, the label is coming apart from the cartridge on top. This is not the first time I've seen this and it seems kinda common in later titles. The sealed copy of Overlord I opened last year had the same problem, and that came out in 1993. Makes you think that there must have been some manufacturing changes at the time, which wouldn't be surprising as the NES was well on its way to wrapping up.

This was also the case with my sealed copy of Wario's Woods, which I bought several years ago. Good to know this is a common issue.

Wario's Woods never really clicked with me, but it's possible I just haven't spent enough time with it. It's better than Yoshi, not as good as Dr. Mario, and would probably be forgotten if it weren't an interesting object for collectors for the reasons you described. I just happened to find it for cheap, and I can't turn down a complete copy of any Nintendo-developed NES title.

My favorite underappreciated NES puzzle game is Spot: The Video Game, which is exactly the microscope game from The 7th Guest as a standalone title. An extremely small percentage of you are probably going to rush out and buy it now.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Quiet Feet posted:

Isn't Spot just Othello? I had a cart for a little while but honestly got bored with it pretty quickly.

It's not quite Othello/Reversi. I haven't played any of these recently enough that I can recall the precise differences, but it's fun. Or at least it's a game you learn to love through attrition during the course of playing The 7th Guest.

And I do mean it's exactly the same game—originally called Infection, and also released in the arcade as Ataxx. Wikipedia has a brief history of it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ataxx

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Modus Pwnens posted:

Simpsons arcade.

Every Konami licensed title and most Capcom licensed titles I can think of. See Wild West Cowboys of M.O.O. Mesa for an instance where the game is probably the only thing about the property worth remembering. It's the Sunset Riders sequel you always wanted and didn't know already existed.

The aforementioned Spot: The Video Game, though that was just slapping a 7-Up license on a good puzzle game that existed in other forms.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

I'd say Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, because it's just a really fun and clever adventure game, and not so in-jokey as to render itself incomprehensible to people unfamiliar with the source material. No more incomprehensible than Homestar Runner already is, anyway. It's Telltale Games' best from before they came up with the Walking Dead formula and decided to never again deviate from it.

A lot of the WWE wrestling games over the years, for featuring the most complex and versatile character creation suite available anywhere. They're legitimately great games if you treat them like The Sims, and I wasn't interested in professional wrestling before I started playing them. Get WWE 2014 for PS3 or 360 as that's the last one before they started cutting features again, and the last one to support custom music.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 20, 2017

• Locked thread