Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

JcDent posted:

Was there a year at the start when nobody was working against the emperor? Cos the graph makes it look like that.
Oh wait I see what you mean...

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

One question about aircraft carriers (the real ones) that popped up when viewing that website: how were the islands counter-balanced on an aircraft carrier?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I find Italian is almost spot on in terms of 'speak as written', the only notable exceptions being gh, ch, gn, gl and sc.

EDIT: it's always funny hearing english people butchering the pronunciation of gnocchi

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

dialects

he's not from new jersey, but through my father, this is how i pronounce the only italian words i know
The article is kind of funny, because in some areas of the US they use English phrases and words which are much more ancient than what British English would use as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Slightly off topic but if you are in the UK and interested in the Iraq/Iran war, a megagame is gonna be run for it in London

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well the conversation regarding cavalry charges reminded me of the the purported 'last cavalry charge' of the Italians on the eastern front, and found the following:

quote:

Corporal Lolli, unable to draw, as his saber was frozen in its sheath, charged holding high a hand grenade; Trumpeter Carenzi, having to handle both trumpet and pistol, shot by mistake his own horse in the head.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The history of the procurement problems for this gun is basically military-procurement.txt

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

HEY GAIL posted:

there were way more nazis in german postwar life than you'd think

it was even worse in italy, mussolini's granddaughter is active in politics right now and she's 100% unreconstructed
Yep

My uncle has a parrot called 'Benito' that knows how to say 'Sporchi Communisti!'

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So an interesting thing about my family history is in regards to my grandfather and my great-uncle on my Italian side.

The only thing that I have ever been told about the Second World War by my grandfather is that he was sent to a training camp while Sicily was underway. A bombing raid occurred and the trainees, himself included, were being kept in the barracks by a sergeant, but eventually were able to convince him to let them go. My grandfather ended up on a river side, and a bomb sent him flying into the river, where he was about to drown, when suddenly another bomb blew him back to shore and he managed to make his way home. He never really wanted to talk about the war and it was clear that it had affected him deeply.

My great-uncle was captured by the British in Ethiopia and by the time he came back home, he was still a fervent Fascist. This was attributed to the fact that he hadn't been in Italy during the Italian invasion/takeover by Germany/partisan action, and hence he held on to those beliefs. My uncle was affected by the fascist beliefs of my great-uncle, hence why he is a fascist himself. Thankfully my dad was left-leaning.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

the worst war movie ever was Rules of Engagement, that wonderful movie where the twist ending is that shooting into a mixed crowd of armed/unarmed civilians was moral and good

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Perestroika posted:

For another solid contender (though not Hollywood-made) there is My Honor was Loyalty. In which the director takes it upon himself to try and rehabilitate the loving Waffen-SS, of all things. You know you're in for a treat when the first thing you see in the trailer is "This trailer is not propaganda": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIwimWccIoM
Hahaha holy poo poo.

Concerning films that attempt to humanise German soldiers, what are people's thoughts on Stalingrad (the German 1993 film). I haven't seen it in years but from what I remember I don't recall anything objectionable, apart from displaying how loving lovely fighting in Stalingrad was.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

GotLag posted:

He rubs me the wrong way but I can't put my finger on why I think he's bullshit. Any pointers?
Watch his 'Cavalry was a stupid idea' video and you'll understand. He talks authoritatively but knows gently caress all.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what's his SA user name?
It's me/you/<POSTER I DON'T LIKE>

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sicily Landings helped somewhat in terms of what happens when your air/naval assets don't cooperate successfully.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

like a scrum in rugby

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The first time I ever heard anyone use the word nork when referring to North Korean was when Homefront (the video game) came out. Norks means boobs in the UK.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Ish. At the start of the war a bunch of Southern aristocrats raised and paid for their own military units. With truly fabulous uniforms in some cases!
I mean, this happened in the north as well, especially with the "Zouave" companies. It was amateurs all the way around.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

zoux posted:

This site is reporting that production on the third HBO WWII series The Mighty Eighth about the air campaign over Europe is finally beginning production, and that HBO is going to spend $500m on it. Folks, I'm unbelievably hype.
I'm the scene where one of the gunners, after one of his friends dies, grabs his machine gun, starts shouting and then fires wildly at german fighters, finally bringing one down

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

InRangeTV tested a wide variety of guns in a mud test. The only ones to pass with a 100% were the Luger, several AR-15s, and the CETME-L.

The key with mud is tight tolerances that keep mud from entering in the first place, because as soon as mud enters the chamber you're done. The AK's advantages are ease of disassembly, cleaning, and manufacturing.
Did they mud test an owen smg? I'm really interested to see if it's actually as mud resistant as claims suggest.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Looks like Lincoln to me.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

spectralent posted:

What about Barbarossa actually caused this?
At a guess, too many people to manage.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

Welp, let's wrap it up. Irony is dead.
It was dead long ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Since my interest in conflicts seems to always rise when I play a game based on the conflicts, I'm interested in finding out more about the French-Algerian War. Any good books on it? Also, can anyone comment on David Galula, his writings and, specifically, how widespread was the use of his book post-Algeria and if any counter-insurgent entity extensively made use of them (I think the Pentagon did read up on the book during Afghanistan/Iraq, but I'm interested to see if it was applied anywhere else).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

What game are you playing based on the French-Algerian War? Did Greg Stolze come out with an Unknown Armies hack for the OAS?
Colonial Twilight, by Brian Train (his second game on the subject, actually, but the first using the COIN mechanism). Very good game in terms of how interesting/strategic it is, but I always like to fact-check historical games that I play. The OAS does have a pretty significant impact on the game as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Comstar posted:

I know next to nothing about the French failure in Algiers- what happened? They know everything there is to know about a COIN war, take all the lessons home, have a short logistic distance and no external war to worry about. Did they take the wrong lessons on how the Gestapo and German army tried to deal with the Resistance? The pressure of the war caused a large blowback, but who was complaining about how they acted, considering most other European countries had just tried to do the same thing in the decade or so before hand?
They still treated the FLN as a military force that had to be crushed, rather than focusing on socio-economic aspects and running programs that removed the reasons why the Algerians would side with the FLN over the French government. Even though they were aware and knew about the tactics that the FLN would attempt to perform thanks to experiences in the Resistance, the issue is that it doesn't really teach you how to appease a hostile population, and theories on COIN from the counter-insurgency side weren't really developed until after the Algerian war. Being an insurgent doesn't really teach you how to fight them, especially if you go from tacit approval of the population (like the Resistance) to tacit disapproval of the population (French-Algerian War).

Also, the French Republic at the time was politically unstable, was reeling from unsuccessful wars in French Indochina and had a series of attempted coups and almost a complete military rebellion. The opposition to the war was very much present within France itself.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think the invasion of Syria during World War II is actually an interesting case study of the relations between Vichy France and the Allies, and the willingness (or unwillingness) for the Vichy France to fight against their former allies. The common wisdom before Operation Exporter started was that the Vichy France forces would surrender, especially due to the presence of Free French forces (it was important politically for the Free French to be part of this campaign). The Vichy French, however, did not surrender as expected, which had implications for the fight in North Africa. The entire campaign is quite interesting for how small yet intense the fighting was, and how relatively unknown it is, especially considering that the UK suppressed news of the campaign during the war.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Who's going to catch you out there?
Literally thugs

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Is there really a german warship that was called the "Colourful Cow"?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Did the Romans ever name their ships? Do we have any record of actual named Roman ships, beyond a classification of which squadron they were in and their number?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I personally love Macchi, so looking forward to that when it comes up, especially the C.202.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Is the general consensus on the Ariete Italian Armored Division that fought in North Africa that it was one of the premier elite divisions of the Italian army? I know as a whole that bersaglieri were better trained and equipped, and I was wondering what the opinion of soldiers at the time was in regards to Ariete, especially in terms of what the Germans thought of the division.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Note that despite this, Imphal still happened.
Imphal was 1944 though and it was basically a hail-mary attempt with minimal forces (the japanese attacked with something like 3 divisions IIRC), minimal logistical support (and even the small amount of supplies that reached the front had to go through the naga hills, which was a logistical nightmare) and minimal air assets. Imphal was basically lost for the Japanese as soon as the offensive started, to be honest.

It's not really comparable, unless by Imphal you mean the invasion of Burma in 1942.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I saw another TIK video and it's quite funny to see the wehraboos come out in force for relatively uncontroversial opinions like "the soviets were actually quite strategically, operationally and tactically adept"

This is pretty much wehraboo.png:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There's a lot of media that has conditioned people to see SS units as some uber-powerful special forces with all the latest and best weapons, while in reality there was a large gap of skill, equipment and ability between the best and the worst of the Waffen-SS. Although the "Myth of the Eastern Front" is not completely authoritative, it does show how especially the Waffen-SS was mythologised, and how even today in wargames (even simple stuff like making the SS counters black), video games and pop-history crap like "Deadliest Warrior" seems to show that the myth of the SS is still strong nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Epicurius posted:

Do I get to pick the SS unit he gets stuck with? Because some SS units were decent, but a lot were terrible.
How about the 30th Waffen-SS Division?