Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Man, I envy you guys going with digital. The sheer concept of an english SRW game was enough to drop dough for the physical version. Monday :smith:

Did anyone actually end up going with the LE?

Would've if it hadn't sold out so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Christmas Island is where Goatse was originally hosted, if I remember right.

Yes, Christmas Island has the .cx tld.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Watching Eva 1.11 again for the purpose of comparison with Shin Evangelion, I am wondering, outside of Eva and SRWZ2's dimension beasts, are there any other media were rainbows are menacing?

Katamari Damacy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Helion posted:

I was a huge fan of the game boy games, so I was incredibly excited to get this. Bought from Play-Asia and even paid the extra shipping to get it here as quickly as possible. This morning it was to be delivered, when I realized I had a doctor's appointment. Thinking fast, I left a note asking for it to be dropped on my doorstep, normal procedure for an indirect signature package.

Within the one hour window between it getting dropped off and me coming home, the package was ripped open and the game stolen. Life sucks sometimes.

That blows. Sadly with the customs declaration form on the outside it's often really easy to tell what's in there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Doesn't PS4 work the same way as PS3 where DLC downloaded onto one system can be used by all accounts on said system? I haven't actually used the DLC in my copy of GB3 yet to check.

The DLC in Breaker 2 only worked on the account from the same region the game was from.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

So uh I just noticed the OST for Alpha is for sale on American iTunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/super-robot-taisen-alpha-original/id483369877

Why is it doing here!?

Someone got a deal on licensing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Seriously, what the hell happened to Bandai Namco to make them change their tune? A decade of "lol gently caress you" turned into "LET'S GIVE THEM EVERY GAME!"

Whatever Bandai's model division was smoking in calendar 2015 (we got some crazy kits) got passed to the video game guys this year.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

Do you lot think it succeeded as a supposed entry point?

Being available in English probably helped it more than anything else there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

You think that's nuts, some OG mechs like the Grungust run on Nuclear Pulse Generator. Near as I can work out, that's either meaningless technobabble or they use nuclear fuel for loving internal combustion.

We tried it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_pulse_propulsion

Also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Excalibur for nuclear powered lasers.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Prism posted:

Project Orion doesn't really detonate nukes internally so much as poop nukes that push it forward.

'Guys, you know what will solve mobility problems in space? NUCLEAR BOMBS.'

You could detonate the bombs inside a spherical pressure plate and convert the push to some other form of energy, which is basically nuclear internal combustion. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Prism posted:

I thought those were disposable (and in fact would have been mounted on a launch system of some sort - booster rockets maybe?), though they were designed to be directional. More or less. Within ten or fifteen degrees, anyhow (which is to be fair a hell of a lot more directional than most nuclear explosions). But it wouldn't be something you could fire while holding without blowing yourself up.

http://toughsf.blogspot.com/2016/06/the-nuclear-spear-casaba-howitzer.html

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

So my first effort trying to order from PlayAsia to Finland is a hassle (UPS here sucks, turns out). I've decided to just make an HK account instead to save myself the trouble. It seems easy enough to create the account, but do I need a separate memory card as well (separate from the current US based account mem card I have)?

Yes, you need a separate memory card or will have to erase it. Account switching on Vita is unpleasant.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNrK1npQIiQ

Well that's the weirdest video game related thing I'm going to learn all month.

:wow:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

And you can't even chalk that up as otaku/japanese weirdness, considering things such as My Little Pony's fandom.

I dunno where the tipping point was...

It didn't cause it, but it seemed to happen around the time Sailor Moon showed up on US broadcast TV.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Magical Princess Minky Momo is a Japanese magical-girl anime franchise by Production Reed. The original series ran between 1982 and 1982 on TV Tokyo and inspired three OVAs between 1985 and 1987.

:ok:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I played some Gundam Breaker 3 today after a while off and it is still pretty awesome. For you guys who have played this series longer than me, do your MS designs ever settle down or is it a neverending parade of swapping out parts with slightly better ones?

edit: I'd post a picture of my MS but it will just change in half an hour.

Usually changing something every mission until about 75% through the game then I settle on a favorite configuration and make those parts stronger.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ryoga posted:

It is literal and to the point. It is an orthodox translation.

Nice.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm sure most of you guys are long done with it, but I just finished GB3 today. Well, half of it anyway. I am not happy that they got lazy and/or greedy in this one. Previous games had a long campaign in which you started with HG parts and upgraded to MG about halfway through. In this one, you beat the game with only HG parts and then get the message "NOW YOU CAN REPLAY THE GAME AND EARN MG PARTS THIS TIME." The DLC missions may be the missing half of the campaign, in which case booo to Bamco, kind of, for making me pay twice as much for the same amount of content we had in GB1 and 2.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I hated the Gundam Musou games because they didn't have any gundam music.

The Japanese versions did and it was some really really bad music. Real bad.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ZuljinRaynor posted:

For the Barrel is that thing with like (weird) different character designs for everyone, correct?

The mechanical designs are also weird as hell.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So I'm trying to order SRWV off of play-asia, and I went though the whole paypal thing and authorized payment but on my play-asia account, in the My Purchases section, there's a "pay" button under actions that whenever I click it, it sends me to my shopping cart, which it shows as empty. And nothing's been pulled from my paypal yet.

Will it just automatically pay up for me later or is something messed up?

Something is wrong, play asia always charges immediately. Ask customer support, they've always been quick to help.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PurplieNurplie posted:

http://www.play-asia.com/super-robot-wars-v-english-subs/13/70a98f

This PlayAsia page still has Japanese text and stuff while the PS Store page seems to be down or not available or whatever. Should we just wait to preorder from the store? I'm not 100% confident it's the full on English version.

That's the right on on play-asia. They often copy the first (usually Japanese) description they get to the Asian product pages.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Rufus posted:

Don't worry about the songs when you can put this in your custom playlist: http://gundampilotssmokingweed.tumblr.com/post/62139935571/we-have-more-incredibly-fresh-beats-were-those

Y'all welcome.

I miss that blog. The author went through some tough times and never returned.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

I don't suppose there's been any confirmation as to whether the Vita English version will be available digitally? Really rather not wait like a month for a physical version when I wouldn't have to. I know it's not up for pre-load like the PS4 version (or at least, not on Singapore's PSN), but that doesn't necessarily mean much.

It almost certainly will. While the Vita is largely abandoned, Sony has always pressured publishers to make everything available on PSN for the Vita. Only one game that I know of tried to go physical only, and it ended up on PSN eventually.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Any idea how much it'd be? Trying to figure out how many (if more than one in the first place) of the prepaid cards I'd need. First time I've really done the import thing. Is it just $40 converted straight into Singapore Dollars, or what?

Come to think of it, is there tax on digital purchases in Singapore?

It won't be more than the PS4 version; maybe a few dollars less. I don't remember there being any tax on my Singapore PSN purchases.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doc Quantum posted:

So funny story. I pre-ordered Z3-2 when it came out, but was never able to play it due to reasons (mostly related to finishing my thesis and getting started in a new job). Fastforward to today when my new copy of V arrives and I open the box to look at it. I notice the DLC code included in the box has an expiry date.

Cue frantic scramble for my unopened Z3-2 box and the code for Rengoku-hen that's been sitting inside. I reach in, pull out the little slip, and read the fine print sitting below the code.

It expired 28th December. :suicide: Tried typing it into my Japanese PSN account and got told the code was invalid. While I suppose I could live without playing any of Rengoku-hen, it still rankles a bit not to have it.

Anybody have any ideas about it? Or am I just pretty much outta luck for this?

You're probably out of luck.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

The funniest thing is I got my copy of SD Gundam GGeneration Genesis I'd preordered at the same I got Super Robot Wars V.

SDGGG came out November 23.

Same, I didn't pay attention to the release dates and play asia will hold the shipment till everything in it is released.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do Mao and Kurz never get anything but M9s through the whole novel series and/or this game? Don't they feel screwed out of the fancy custom robots that Sosuke, Cruzo and all the enemies get?

Kurz gets a Shadow at the very end of the books but yeah, M9s are it for Mao.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Did they never, like, get around to making an M10 or something. The US military was using M6's, and Mithril jumped to M9s, did they really never come up with anything past that that wasn't just a super one-off like Arbalest and Laevateinn?

Come to think of it, were M8's and 7's even a thing? Did they just jump from M4 to M6 to M9?

It's been a long time since I read the books, but if I recall correctly the M9 was top-of-the-line tech that was still being evaluated by the US military though Mithril had already adopted it. We never heard anything about the other M(x) units though since FMP! parallels the Cold War, they were presumably other designs that never made it past the experimental stage. The whole FMP! story takes place over the span of 2 or 3 years so there wouldn't really be enough time to develop and field an M10 even with Whispered pushing technology faster than normal.

http://fullmetalpanic.wikia.com/wiki/Arm_Slave

FMP! Invisible Victory should come out this fall and chronicle the rest of the story.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

So how much in Singapore PSN dollars do I need tog et allt he DLC? My copy has been sent to America, so it'll be here in...a week or two.

There's a pack with all of them for 45 SGD.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

This is the last I will say anything on this topic, because if you don't understand after this point there's no hope:

Do you know what dogwhistle racism is? My point was that the first 4-5 episodes of G-Reco were full of dogwhistle sexism (which caused me to stop watching after that point). The show as a whole was sexist, and most people seem to agree. The problem is that posters cherry-picked phrases out of my statements in an attempt to discredit me, which worked perfectly and continues to work to this day. I pointed out how hosed up it is that even the expert women characters were powerless in the face of amateur male characters, from things like an unarmed training grunt flown by a first-timer taking out a space pirate leader piloting a Gundam to how virtually every character with 2 X chromosomes was either in a cheerleader uniform or crying. In fact, it may be literally every one-- it's been a while since I last saw the show. These were not the only examples in the show neither were they the only examples I provided at the time.

The show had a ton of problems visible from the outset, but between being pushed by overly defensive goons and poor wording on my part the actual subject matter got divorced from the content. I was right about the show being bad, I was right about the ways in which the show was gonna be bad (with a single exception*), and isolating instances of me trying to drill the idea of "Hey, context and presentation are very real things, just look at people defending this other show which is about real, actual rape used for entertainment" into idiots as some vague attempt to insult me only makes you look like a Trump voter.

*The part where I was wrong was on the topic of the horse blinders on the G-Self. I was shown wrong on episode 3 that G-Reco doesn't care about visibility as a concept, demonstrated by Bellri shooting with pinpoint accuracy with his monitors off and only viewport blocked by his own shield. I'll file that right next to "brain damage from oxygen deprivation wears off over time."

You're right, and that was hosed up of me! Something about the atmosphere here makes me speak like I'm much more immature than I should be. I'm trying to work on it, but I get tempted into extreme wording when people troll me, which happens all the time. After so many years online I should have learned that facts don't drive discussion (example: anybody saying I play 40k in the last 8 years).

sir, this is a taco bell drive thru

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Nah, it's Sentai. You get ranges for both the zords and Kame Riders power suits like the Tekkaman guys.

I think that game was called Lost Heroes for the PSP.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Is there a "how to SRW" guide somewhere? I dusted off my GBA to play SRW OG to learn these games, and I've gotten to level 17 where if anyone on my side dies it's game over. All my robots can be two shotted by just about any enemy, and it takes at least three attacks to kill even the weakest enemy. I think I'm underleveled, or upgraded incorrectly, or am not using Spirits right since my people run out of energy after one or two uses. All the FAQs I find say it's a great easy level to make mad bank on, but they're much better than I am.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

I'm assuming you're playing OG1 and you're taking the Kyosuke route.
Focus on getting to the target point. Killing enemies is completely optional. Units can board battleships at a cost of 10 Will (to a minimum of 100) which recharges their EN and ammo, regens their HP over time, and protects your fragile units.
Be patient and don't overextend in an attempt to kill the further enemies. That won't win the map.
That mission sucks. Goondolences. Ryusei route's story is the canon one, anyway :P

For generic OG1+OG2 advice:
  • Leveling in SRW is almost never a problem, and the games can be beaten without upgrading. Worst case scenario, eat the Game Over and restart the map with the extra money and experience from the first attempt, but this locks you out of that map's SR point in OG2.
  • Press B while on the map to bring up the tile stats. Non-airborne units will gain a bonus to their Evasion and Defense depending on the terrain they're in. Some terrain can regen HP or EN, as well. Everybody takes advantage of Space terrain.
  • Enemies you've Scanned or fought will have their stats visible, and you can use this to control who they target. Force enemies to prioritize your tanks (be it dodge-tanking reals or supers with Prevail and Guard) by leaving them within stationary weapons range.
  • The safest way to kill enemies is to focus-fire them. The most efficient way to kill enemies is to spread damage and let them kill themselves on your units' counterattacks.
  • When you begin a map, your damage sucks. Each pilot has Will gains based off their personality (the default being +1 if you get hit, +1 if an ally dies, +1 if an enemy dies, +4 on top of that last one if you killed the enemy), and Will greatly affects your damage dealt/taken on top of available moves and modes. Take note of which of your units needs Will and make a plan for how they're going to get it. Note: Some pilots have terrible personalities that reduce their usability. Excellen and Katina in particular have terrible Will gains (although Excellen doesn't really care about Will outside of Rampage Ghost).
  • Use Support Defend to protect your fragile units that can't stay inside a battleship for one reason or another. It counts as a Defend use so you take half damage (before barriers are applied!), and it only uses the Support if the attack connects.
  • Support Attack is a very easy way to boost your damage output considerably. Keep your units in teams that allow your home run hitters to take advantage of Supports.
  • Size matters. The Giganscudo and Hiryu will take less damage from enemies and deal more damage to enemies based off their size class. You can see it on the stats screen (SS/S/M/L/LL). Smaller units get an evasion bonus, too.
  • Characters have relationship bonuses which affect their stats. These bonuses change over the game's plot accordingly and can't be checked. Friends gain Hit/Evade bonuses for being adjacent. Lovers gain damage. Rivals gain critical hit increases.
  • Teach everybody SP Regen if you can.
  • If a pilot has Prevail, it might be counter-intuitive to heal them depending on how much damage they've taken. A pilot that could get one-shotted at full HP may be invincible at low HP.
  • It's worthwhile to cast Alert as you move up the field in anticipation of enemy attacks. Just the same, cast Guard before throwing a super into a group of dudes to tank.

Thanks, this is the sort of thing I was looking for.

Before I saw your reply, I ended up beating that level by not moving the battleship while mobbing my entire force against one enemy at a time, then suiciding all but two of my forces and parking the survivors where the robot objective squares would appear after the Hagane reached its objective. Then just moved the Hagane straight for its objective square. It worked, but it cost just about all the money I earned on the level to resurrect everyone and I was wondering how you were supposed to turn a profit on this level. Didn't realize you could land robots on a carrier though, I could have parked the lovely Gespensts in there and not had to worry about them.

I also didn't realize you could retry the stage while keeping the money and experience; I reloaded my save as soon as I saw the game over screen. How do you get to the point where counterattacking isn't suicide? My units can't take more than two hits so evading is really the only thing I can do if I don't want everyone to die in the first four turns. Also it sounds like some pilots have spirits that are worth using so far everyone seems to have garbage like "+10% to your next evade" which isn't worth going into the menu to activate.

Davzz posted:

If you're having trouble killing Grunts in OG1/2, you should fully upgrade M950 Machine Guns, which are pretty terrible at Base but have an upgrade power/cost ratio that's so high it's basically one of few usable Equippable Weapons in the game.

Like Fire Emblem, if you're actually having difficulty against masses of enemies, the best way to tackle them is to build up a juggernaut vanguard unit or two - this should be either a unit with ridiculously high Evasion/Mobility or someone with Guard (which is rather OP from a defensive standpoint) with a decent counterattack - they don't have to kill all the units coming at them, but soften them up enough.

Then you send the Vanguards forward ahead of everyone else, while having the rest of your team stand a bit behind, let them weaken everyone with counters on attack phrase, and then sweep with the rest of your team. Rinse and repeat until you win.

This strategy is also rather SP light since the only ones that's going to be consistently using SP are said Vanguard units, leaving the rest with a bank for emergency bursting, so if you're poor at SP management, this will make things simple.

This seems like it would work but literally none of my force can withstand more than about 5 hits from anything. This is why I was thinking I was underleveled; for a game called "Super Robot Wars" all my robots are pretty loving weak.

I started this before Moon Dwellers and V were out; I have both but wanted to get through OG1 first. Would those be better to learn on?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'll go back and see what my pilots have. They were all pretty worthless early on and I never got into the habit of using them; the ones you describe sound more useful. Alert is one I think is crummy since you can't control if the next thing that shoots at you is a popgun or a Death Star laser, though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Well hey Policenaut, they didn't wait until Japanese release day to announce it. Our curse is broken, and we are no longer forced to buy Asian discs to bring the Gundams westwards.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Where is that option though? Is it treated as an MS somewhere in the MS list like a fighting game, or something else?

If you go into the mode where you can select all four players, at the end of the MS list are the random choices.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Also gonna agree that it is seriously cool of Hokuto to translate that interview.

:yossame:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

I think "don't hold your breath" is good advice for SRW fan translations in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Senjou no Kizuna is coming back as a VR game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdTQhetgMe4

It's being tested for a limited time at VR Zone Shinjuku, but with any luck they'll put it out on major VR platforms.

Ohh yeahhhhhhh

• Locked thread