Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Why can't Dedenne learn Dazzling Gleam?

He's super cute but seems really sucky.

Because Gamefreak is dumb.

I bred and trained a Dedenne anyway. I use him for catching Pokemon with Nuzzle and for picking up items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I was gonna go with Moon, since nocturnal creatures are my jam. Owls, bats, cats and other creatures of the night.

Though I prefer DayWolf and definitely want one on my team. I may just have to find a friend with Sun and get them to evolve my Rockruffs in their game and trade it back.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

we don't have confirmation that they are version exclusive, please stop this meme

I thought it was confirmed in CoroCoro?

I don't want them to be version exclusive evolutions and I hope they really aren't.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

There were, what, 150ish Pokemon introduced in Gen V? With some of the strongest and best designs ever?

If you couldn't find any you liked out of that, the problem is with you, not with the game.

Agreed. Gen 5 is overall, the strongest gen in the series.

It's impossible to make a Pokemon game with 100% great designs, because a lot of it comes down to taste. You might not like Trubbish, but someone else finds it charming. It's okay to not love every single design because they weren't all designed for you.

However, if you can't find it in your heart to love:

Chandelure
Cincinno
Whimsicott
Lilligant
Scolipede
Leavanny
Golurk
Hydreigon
Volcarona
Reuniclus
Braviary
Cofagrigus
Eelektross

Then you're really missing out.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 15, 2016

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Simisage has a cool pompadour. Simisage is alright.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Electrode is smug as hell and blows itself up for fun. It has an enormous grin and a charming wink and its great.

Klefki is just a pair of keys and I hate it :reject:

Klefki has a cute little face.

I love the fact that it jangles it's keys at it's foes to scare them away. It's adorable.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I enjoyed the shorts.

Though I always imagined Looker as having a thick, French accent like Inspector Clouseau.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Who is everyone's favourite unevolved pokemon, not in terms of usability, just in terms of how excellent they are?

As well as my documented affection for Sunkern I am very fond of Chingling. I want twenty of them to live in my Christmas tree.

Cleffa is a perfect little star friend.

Phanpy is so cute that I had a hard time fighting them in Firered. I ended up raising one to level 100, just to be a cute friend with Pickup.

Also Pumpkaboo, Joltik, Duskull, Phantump, Goomy, Dratini.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I am disappointed that megas are still in the game.

Hopefully, I can keep ignoring them.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

HopperUK posted:

What's the nickname you guys are most proud of? I end up naming mine after characters in TV shows I'm watching most of the time but some people are a lot more clever than that.

Cap'n UFO the Magnezone.
Shayera the Talonflame.
Skulkraken the Gyarados.
Goliath the Gliscor.
Panzer the Aggron
Robocop the Metagross. (With Bullet Punch, of course)
Anubis the Lucario
Fiona the Leafeon.
Egon and Ray the Rotoms.
Imhotep the Cofagrigus
Davy Jones the Carracosta
Sherribelle the Cincinno.
Vincent the Cryogonal (Vincent Ice)
Knives the Bisharp (with Cut, Psycho Cut, and Night Slash)
Foxy Cleo the Bouffalant.
Jacqueline the Gourgeist.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Classtoise posted:

Two of my favorites are Cybelle for lady Grass-types (Cybele being a nature goddess + belle for beauty)

And Swirly Joe my Poliwhirl.

I have a Beedrill named Cybele. She was for a mythology team with Thor the Raichu, Gaia the Flygon, Amphritite the Vaporeon and Erebus the Weavile.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Olivia looks rad.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Classtoise posted:

Apparently the translation was a bit wrong. It wasn't "Rockruff and the starters share a secret", but "Rockruff has a secret. So do the starters."

I.e it was less "they're the same secret" and more "They have a separate secret."

Well, what else could the starters have as a secret? Maybe unique Z-moves?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Yeah decidueye is a disastrous name and sincerely believe nobody at whatever branch handles the Pokemon translations could think of anything better like say Arrowl

Arrowl Flynn would actually be a pretty good name for one.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Calaveron posted:

The characters from b2w2 aren't the same from bw?

Nope. B2W2 are sequels and not remakes. They take place 2 years after the first BW. The friends of the BW protagonist have grown up and gotten jobs. One of them even became a gym leader. The starting town is even a new town on the other side of the map.

We need more sequels like that.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

Any datamine info on the availability of Cosplay Pikachu?

Cause god drat it, my wrestler team of Incineroar, Hawlucha, Emboar and Machamp could use Pikachu Libre :(

Still missing on a 6th member.

Hariyama is a Sumo Wrestler.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I really want to see Phoebe make a guest appearance in the game. That would be great.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My least favourite type is Fighting, so I would probably roll with Lucario, Mienshao, Pangoro and Bewear.

Also, some people seem to have forgotten that Sharpedo is a fish.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I don't know what people's problem with Sylveon is. The ribbons aren't any weirder than Pokemon that have clothes.

Sylveon is made of pretty colours and friendship.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

Relicanth is awesome, but is a coelacanth, not a fish, so it's fine. :colbert:

Coelacanths are lobe finned fishes.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Lupus Rufus posted:

where's the problem?

(also dresses with pockets are the best)

Agreed. A dress having pockets is what will make me buy a dress.

The idea behind why women's pants don't have pockets is that we would look all lumpy if we actually put stuff in them, so it's best that the pockets are decorative only, according to the fashion industry.

I just tend to hear a lot of sweaters with pockets.

My 3DS usually lives in my purse or messenger bag.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

TriffTshngo posted:

I've never really understood the Gen 5 love. Black just did not click with me, and it's what made me hesitant on playing each new game simply on the merits of me liking Pokemon. If XY and Sun/Moon didn't impress me with cool new (admittedly gimmicky) stuff like the move to 3D, Mega Evolutions, and Alola Forms I probably would've passed like I did with BW2 and ORAS.

It probably didn't help that I don't have any real appreciation for the "New region new pokemon! Pick some new favorites, nobody cares about those old ones!" thing that Gen 5 and to a lesser extent 3 did, and I kind of hate most of the Unova dex. I had to struggle to fill a team of 6.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, the new stuff only restriction was dumb. I dunno why people liked being locked out of using their old mons, especially when the Unova dex was filled with a bunch of stinkers. Unfortunately, you really did miss out with B2W2 since it had a bunch of the old Pokemon in it.

What universe are you guys from where 5th gen was full of bad Pokemon?

5th generation was one of the best Pokemon generations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Decus posted:

Only new info on that front seems to be Vulpix is Sun, Sandshrew is Moon. Everything else was either confirmed or heavily implied by the boxes previously.

I have made the correct choice. Day wolf and Vulpix.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

hey thread what in your opinion is the weirdest change a pokemon undergoes when evolving? while there's some that drastically change (magikarp > gyarados, trapinch > vibrava etc.) there are at least thematic reasons behind them. but then there's stuff like shroomish > breloom, and aside from retaining the mushroom theme, i don't see how they're connected at all. why would this random mushroom turn into a boxing kangaroo??

Remoraid into Octillery, a fish into an octopus.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Zore posted:

It is a gun into a tank.

I have never seen them as such. I just see a remora and an octopus.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

LAY-ZX posted:

Once you realize it you'll never be able to unsee it. Octillery isn't a tank though, it's an artillery cannon. Four arms to lock it in place and then a cannon mouth.

e: Also Mantine has Remoraids under its wings. It's a fighter jet with guns.

I still just see a fish.

If anything, it's a fish first, and a gun second.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

But Triple Battles don't exist anymore.

That saddens me. I loved triples. I did all my Battle Maison stuff in triples with two flyers and a Tyrantrum in the middle.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Rangpur posted:

Okay if I am going with the seal (I am going with the seal) I must build a team of equally elegant Pokémon to complement it. Suggestions?

Tsareena, Oricorio and Alolan Ninetales.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Everything I've read says those are it. Kind of miffed that I can't get real red hair.

Same. There are multiple shades of blonde and brown, but no red! As someone with coppery/strawberry blonde hair, my best choice is the "caramel blonde."

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

El Burbo posted:

I'm I the unluckiest person on the planet or is Oricorio just stupidly hard to catch

3 pokeballs 2 great balls 2 ultra balls and then it calls for help and my guys aren't equipped to grind them up so I run away

I had trouble with Oricorio too, but not as much. Took a heal ball and 4 great balls to catch with it calling for help several times.

Though her move pool isn't so great right now, since she doesn't know an electric move and I already have 2 other birds. I put Pricilla the Oricorio in the box for now.

Also, oh my goodness, Fomantis sounds like a little squeaky toy. It's so adorable. I caught one to take through the water trial and named her Orchid. :3:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I keep seeing Stuffuls that belong to other people, but have never been able to find one in the wild! I gave up trying to find one on route 8. Is it only in a certain patch of grass?

My team is pretty great as is, but I do need a Stufful. I ran across a lady with 8 of them! Why can't I just have one of hers?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Try the Akala outskirts, there's only one encounter table there so there's no worries about using the wrong grass.

It shows up there? Good to know!

Nemo07 posted:

Serebii says it's just a really rare (5%) encounter. I was having similar trouble finding Delibird on Route 3 since he's only found there in the top patch 10% of the time.

Ouch. That explains why I couldn't find one.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Oh my. I found a shiny in the wild. A Mudbray. I guess I'm obligated by fate to use it.

Mudbray is a good little donkey. Mine one shotted the fire totem Pokemon. She kept getting muddy after using Bulldozes, so she absolutely loves me. She's a Mudsdale now.

Does it have Stamina as an ability?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Cicadas! posted:

Are SOS calls disproportionately skewed to being male or something because I just spent half a loving hour chaining the same salandit (which is a huge pain, thanks dragon rage) and not a single replacement was female, and the last replacement after the original struggled itself to death didn't feel like calling for help anymore in 10+ turns so I just knocked it out. Is this just poo poo luck or is it coded to only spit out dudes in SOS battles?

On my very first Salandit encounter, it called for help and the help was female. It took a little while, but I had to catch her.

She was also Timid.

Named her Salandra.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

mabels big day posted:

I think for clothes colors you can buy in shops, Sun version has Red, Yellow, Pink, Orange, and Beige, and Moon has Green, Blue, Purple, Navy, and Grey.

Kind of interesting they made clothing colors a version difference.

For serious? Goddammit, I want to wear Green, Blue, Purple and Grey. Those are like "my colours". Am I really stuck with only wearing pink and black for the whole game?

Edit: Oh, I guess I can still dye things those colours? Good.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 21, 2016

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oh my goodness, the Pokemon Center in Po Town is amazing.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Captain Muffin posted:

Q1) Is there something in Sun and Moon that prevents progression (i.e. training Pokemon above a certain level) that would be good "breaks" in the game for us to have round robins in? I know about the trials, but do they actually limit game progress? Can we use that in place of gyms? We need something that levels progression, suggestions?

Certain areas needed for progression are literally gated off until the trial is complete.

quote:

Q2) I haven't played one since Ruby / Sapphire but was told today that if you battle each-other, all your Pokemon are set to the same level. I can't think why they would introduce that as a game mechanic, that seems mental. Please tell me I am smelling sweet bullshit.

Ah the joys of returning to something you have't touched for ten years and then finding it's all changed.

Why is that bad? Not needing to manually level your pokemon to the same level is great. It gives everyone an equal playing field.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

enojy posted:

Aw shoot. I was hoping she could have her own character and play through the story. Oh well. Thanks!

Get a copy of Sun and a copy of Moon and then you can trade with each other.

It's pointless to try to share a single game.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Haifisch posted:

I wish there was an option to tell Lillie to keep her moonbat/sunlion. Who cares if you're not a trainer, you can become one with a dimension-warping thing as your starter. And then it'll see more of the world than the PC box I'm leaving it in!

I agree. I wanted her to keep her Nebby and become a strong trainer with him! Solgaleo is an excellent starter Pokemon, Lillie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

please age up the main characters in the obligatory sequel so I can be more fashionable

I liked the Black and White protagonists a lot. I want teenage characters again.