Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Please tell me you're kidding.
You think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It’s not “outside internet connections” they have to worry about, it’s all the legit-even-by-CP-standard forms of encryption.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HerStuddMuffin posted:

If the Belgians haven’t been able to pull that off with Wallonia even though it sits right next to France
France wants them less than they want Quebec.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

haier getting made into a boytoy for a mainland lady is the bevst thing that could ever have happened.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TsarZiedonis posted:

I'm in Bangkok and I'm renting an airbnb from a Chinese woman. The day before I'm due to check in, I get a message telling me to ignore all the signs in the building saying no airbnb allowed and just to say that I'm a friend. There are huge signs everywhere that are like "NO AIRBNB, if you are staying here you are trespassing and will be arrested." It's a really aggro vibe that's kind of ruining my chill. Now I'm afraid to use the really awesome rooftop pool and fitness center because they both have signs up asking residents to report suspected Airbnb guests. On a scale of 1-10, how likely am I to be kicked out of this condo by the Thai Airbnb fun police?
Report that poo poo to airbnb and they'll take care of you.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

Sixth rule for me, never venture outside Scandinavia.
You’re missing out on so much deliciousness tho

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Chinese steel stronk

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

All the >6 figgies medical devices companies I've interacted with have all the smarts hidden away in the software. Like it's cool that you repro the device, but interpreting the output stream takes actual engineering. The solar industry is a v good example of what happens when you delocalize reproducible manufacturing IP. All the "western" companies still in business make money on the integration and middleware.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 12, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Coolguye posted:

the military story in china is one i will never be able to take too seriously in terms of people trying to get the corruption out just because they already had the single strongest stimulus for getting their poo poo in order in 2003. the second iraq war caused A LOT of leaders all over the world to poo poo themselves. everyone knew iraq would lose, but saddam had a very professional military that he had spent literal decades drilling loyalty and procedure into. people expected that they'd give the americans quite a bloody nose before they went down.
I don't know how anyone can be foolish enough to lull themselves into a smug self-satisfactory complacence. The americans basically own the tip of the tech mountain, which means they get to erode all your infrastructure essentially for free if you give them the initiative, and when the armor start rolling you've essentially lost already.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

feedmegin posted:

I absolutely agree that China is going to lose if it fights a war overseas against the US in someplace-that-is-not-China. The original post, however, was 'a party that loses Beijing is never going to have legitimacy in China again' and I do not believe the US can just waltz in and capture Beijing easy peasy no muss no fuss.
If they've learned anything at all they'll set foot on the ground, just thwack chinese command and control until they can't take it anymore.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That woman is my spirit animal

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kharnifex posted:

Ah that sounds rad, I'll definitely have to get my rear end there, Turkey and hopefully Iran if it hasn't been invaded by the time I get around to it.
Turkey gets worse every year so hurry. Iran with a decent inside connect is amazing, with the predictable caveats.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Every time someone tells me they're going to Dubai on vacation, I'm a bit sorry for them.
It's the loving worst. Now I wanna do jordan :]

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Can we please stop paying attention to bad day

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Holy poo poo the pro-women responses are amazing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I love the nine dash line because A) it's incomprehensible to me how average people can actually care about a border dispute and B) it's such an incredibly brazen territory grab. So many border disputes are disputes about a border but that one is literally just "lol yeah we're just going to violate all international standards by taking this entire sea just because we're giant assholes :dealwithit:"
It's gonna be fun once their neighbors get modern AIP subs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I saw the same Chinese tour group dump at least one garbage bag full of trash on the ground in Södermalm and Gamla Stan in Stockholm. How do you generate that much trash :negative:
Do you not hand it back to them? I did that to an English tourist who tossed a can in the street and the look on his face was a sight to behold.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

Beautiful. Where was this? What did he say?
Soder, I was biking with my kid. He said “I must have dropped it” (gotta save that precious face) and briskly walked away. His friend could barely contain his laughter.

Outrail posted:

English, so equal chance mumble something and put it in a bin, loudly complain about how rude the local are or rip off their shirt and start a brawl.
That’s 100% accurate.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Trust me the kid doesn’t give a poo poo

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Of course they never did, what possible reason would they have to do so? Being a normal country that exists within the normal deterrence system we've settled into between the nuclear armed states, sure, but giving them up? lol no.
They've also witnessed the dogpile onto the last guy who gave up his WMDs

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

JacksAngryBiome posted:

One of my colleagues recently had a scientific journal submission under review. One reviewer's message was basically "nice paper, but for publication you should really, really cite these two papers to strengthen your introduction." The papers were tenuosly related to the research at best, and surprise, both from the same research group in China.
That poo poo would get you blacklisted *so* fast in europe.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It’s only anonymous to the submitting group, the editor knows who’s reviewing. The right course of action in that case is to inform your supervisor and let them talk to the editor.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Didn't they buy that piece of poo poo carrier knowing it was a piece of poo poo so they could use it to grind their "carrier operation and construction" skills before making their own? Like I don't think the outcome is supposed to be a good effective carrier, that's to come later.
That's exactly what they did. People keep dismissing china's naval efforts but in the mean time they've built a legit regional blue water force, peppered a bunch of man made islands with logistics and AA infrstructure, and are in the process of developing an expeditionary/projection force.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/22/technology/china-micron-chips-theft.html

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The worst tourists here are British stag/hen parties. Absolute loving animals. I've never heard anything louder than when a bachelor party comes down my street.
A friend of mine had a stash of gallon size water bombs by the sink to chase them off and he'd always have time to fill them up between hearing them and being in range. Englos are the absolute worse.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

WarpedNaba posted:

Ah, the beeb. Tech and Science news bits are still fairly okay though.
I work in tech and hate their tech coverage. Wife is a scientist and curses their science coverage. HTH

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tote up a bags posted:

Welcome to PUBG! As the plane flies to your destination, please feel free to enjoy our in-flight entertainment: A very detailed breakdown of Japan's ownership of the Diaoyu Islands! Good luck!!
In all games with no region-locking the pro move is spamming "TAIWAN NUMBER ONE" a few times then muting chat.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

are we talking infant mortality rates
:kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Lol you whites have no idea how good you have it
I mean yeah we literally dont