Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

My parents named me after their dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

[quote="“dividertabs”" post="“481573251”"]
The extra egg is so obviously Frankie’s that I wonder what her side of the story is.
[/quote]

I would say Frankie keeping the extra one is the obvious thing to do, but they’re probably better off without her if she’s going to freak so badly over this. I’d bet Frankie had been having issues with them for a while but never said anything, and now she’s going crazy about a chocolate egg and getting her dad to intimidate a bunch of 20-year olds. I don’t have a whole lot of sympathy for people who refuse to talk to their housemates about issues, if that is indeed what’s going on here.

If she signed the lease she’s still on the hook, for the current month at the very least.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

It's obviously not about the egg. It's that the three other roommates when faced with the very obvious conclusion (it was frankie's) decided it was everyone's like that was the natural thing to do. OP denies it in the comments but it's basically guaranteed that stuff like that has been an ongoing issue in their household and the egg was the final straw.

It just goes to show that sharing all your food with your roommates is almost always a terrible idea. I’ve seen pretty much this exact situation multiple times where everyone agrees to share their stuff except one person may not be really into it but goes along with it anyway. Then they end up melting down over a seemingly minor issue and everyone else is wondering what the gently caress happened.

I think it’s dumb as hell to want to live like that in the first place, but if you agree to it despite not actually liking it, then what do you expect?At least these people are only 20 and have a bit more of an excuse for their immaturity. Also lol at signing a lease and then ditching a week later.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I can see someone getting kind of irritated if their coworkers are constantly giggling and squealing or whatever he says, but lol at this dude being so confused about their behavior and asking if it's normal.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Bubblyblubber posted:

My [31M] bf [31F] lacks BASIC LIFE SKILLS

I can totally believe that this guy has ADHD. But if he’s refusing to get any treatment and just using it as an excuse to be a gently caress-up then there isn’t much hope for him. I have ADHD so I can understand some of his behavior to a certain extent but he has gone way, way beyond what is acceptable for another person to have to deal with. The dude can’t even flush his own poo poo.

The best thing for him is if she leaves. Maybe then he will be forced to learn how to do basic tasks. Or find another girlfriend/mommy to take care of him, most likely. At least she’ll be out of there.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

This reminds me of the train enthusiast that said they don't bother learning social skills because the cattle aren't worth the effort to talk to.

Clearly the reason I refuse to clean up after myself or flush my own poo poo is because I'm just so smart and don't want to waste my brainpower on such trifling matters :smuggo:

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

[quote="“Lone Goat”" post="“481729688”"]
I meant before they left. Get a job then use the money from the job to go on vacation.

:capitalism:
[/quote]

Getting free room and board and food in exchange for 4 or so hours a day of work is a pretty good deal. I know some people who’ve done this, mostly in South America. It still leaves you with plenty of free time to do whatever else you want. If you’re just planning on going on a week-long vacation or something it’s obviously not worth it then, but if you want to stay a while in a certain place it’s not a bad deal.

Obviously, experiences vary and I’m sure there are a lot of lovely hosts out there so you should obviously do some research ahead of time.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

He also said she hit him in the head while he was driving. The dude doesn’t exactly sound like a catch, but I have no issue with her getting in trouble if she’s seriously hitting someone while they’re driving.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

Yeah, what's with a woman that has to pay child support? You know she had to gently caress up bad.

Well, she doesn’t live with them and just goes to visit them for a few days it sounds like, so it makes sense she would have to pay since she isn’t really helping to take care of them. Usually it’s the dad who’s doing this sort of thing, but I’m sure there are plenty of moms who aren’t actually that interested in raising their kids.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I feel kinda bad that her splurging if she inherited a million would be "buy a quality pair of pants and finally get myself a haircut" :(

I figured maybe she’s already doing pretty well with what she has and doesn’t really need a lot more. I mean, I’m always hearing about celebrities who go bankrupt because they bought too many castles or have blown millions of dollars on a bunch of bullshit. I’m sure this lady could probably think of a few more things to spend it on if the money was actually in front of her, but I think it’s kind of nice that she just wants a really nice of pants.

edit: Also, a 38 year old woman having some grey hair and wrinkles is not “aging ungracefully.” That’s just “aging”. It happens to everyone.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 2, 2018

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Theophany posted:

How in the ever loving gently caress do you live in a country for 20 years and not pick up the lingo jfc

I don't know, it doesn't seem to be that uncommon for white expats in foreign countries to mainly interact with other expats, which results in them never really learning the local language. But this guy's wife and presumably their children speak Japanese, so I'm not really sure how you wouldn't pick up a little over 20 years, even accidentally.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I thought Hogwarts just automatically accepted all magic people in the region. I mean, they even let Hagrid be a teacher so I don't think I would consider them very prestigious.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Based solely on her random capitalization and the fact that she said ‘twas multiple times I am going to take a wild guess and say she is also crazy.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

Also what if the couple has more kids? I wonder if the PI op has any sort of legal responsibility in a situation like this.

If their youngest child is 14, I'd say it's pretty likely they're not planning on having any more. Given the kids' ages, I'd hope that any serious issues would be apparent by now, but I'm sure things can turn up later in life too.

I say this dude should take it to his grave. Telling them basically means destroying a presumably happy family. If they're all functional people and seem happy together, then I would say it just isn't worth it. Although, I guess there's nothing stopping the husband from going to a different PI or trying to find out on his own.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Haifisch posted:

My [27/F] best friend [27/F] has just had a baby and appears to be avoiding me, but I'm not sure. What should I do?

"My best friend just gave birth to a new human being and is busy with poo poo related to said birth, clearly that means she's avoiding me."

That's what I thought it would be based on the title, but it does sound a little strange after reading it. Not responding or communicating at all to her but inviting another friend over and possibly making up having jaundice is kind of weird. But maybe the OP offhandedly reveals a very good reason her friend is ignoring her in the comments, as so frequently happens.

And yes, "fell pregnant" is how it's referred to in the UK, I think. It always makes me laugh hearing it described that way.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Why would he even assume it was his fault she had a miscarriage in the first place? He doesn't really talk about that. That and some other details also make me think this dude has some internalized issues, pretty much what Petra is saying.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

When was the last time this lady washed her sheets? How do you not notice your mattress is covered in bed bugs?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I went to Disneyworld when I was 7 and I don't remember any of it. All I remember is the super long drive to get there and that the place we stayed at had a nice pool. I do have vague memories of liking Space Mountain, but that's it as far as the actual park. Neither of my parents particularly like theme parks so I'm not even really sure why we went.

But adults who are super into Disney are always really weird, without exception.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Never, if you don’t feel like it. Whatever consequences she is suffering are 100% on her, and have nothing to do with you. You’re not required to like her or forgive her just because she has hosed herself over.

If you’re not going to forgive her, though, it’s pretty weird to keep hanging out with her.

Yeah, she's definitely not obligated to forgive her just because she claims to feel bad about it now. The other lady's a real dumbass, what the hell did she think was going to happen?

It seems like the only reason they're still hanging out is because of her boyfriend, so she really needs to dump this guy, otherwise she is always going to be a part of her life. Especially if her boyfriend is living with them. But she probably won't do anything and will just silently be miserable.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

People need to understand that you don't just lose your cultural heritage if you're secular. He needs to understand that there is such a thing as secular Judaism, and if he doesn't, she needs to :sever:

חג שמח!

The vast majority of Jewish people I know are either completely nonreligious or they're the Jewish equivalent of Christians who only go to church on Christmas and Easter.

"Why would anyone even want to be Jewish anyway?! Uhh, I mean because of all the anti-semitism and stuff" is pretty funny though.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Rubellavator posted:

IIRC some people looked into this and her "DUI" involved nearly killing a family, he should have been divorcing her from that alone

Yeah, I think she'd had multiple DUIs before and this one involved her hitting some parked cars, driving away, and then hitting a minivan that had a bunch of kids in it like 10 seconds prior.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

My favorite "disgusting boyfriend" stories are the ones where the dude refuses to clean his rear end because it's gay. I recall at least three different ones in this thread.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, most stores will take stuff back without a receipt even if it's against their policy if you make enough of a scene.

It seems like the best option is to just take the kids out somewhere as a gift. Also, post on the facebook group about what they're doing. Not that it will actually make any difference in regards to selling this stuff, but it'll at least piss off the parents and might make them feel the slightest bit of shame. It sounds like no one is actually willing to do anything though because the parents will just not let them see the kids, and apparently the rest of the family is willing to put up with all their bullshit in exchange for that.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think serving the mentally disabled guy a bud light was fine. I’m not an expert or anything but I used to work as a support staff for people with disabilities and some of them were allowed (according to the program and their case rules, not just legally speaking) to go to bars and drink alcohol. If this guy was by himself then he was probably more independent than most of the people I worked with. If the guy could articulate what he wanted and paid for it himself then I don’t see any good reason to deny him service based on what happened. I think a lot of people are just uncomfortable around people with intellectual disabilities and often end up infantilizing them or underestimating their capabilities. Also it was a bud light, like come on.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Scathach posted:

I'm the main caregiver for a woman with Alzheimer's and this is a huge issue. Her own family treats her like a child because her memory is fading-- she can still open her own drat Xmas presents and if you fluff her pillows and try to tuck her in she will get mad at you for good reason. She gets super frustrated when people treat her like a little kid, and I don't blame her.

Yeah, I can definitely see how that would be frustrating to deal with. I was taught to let the clients be as independent as they could (within reason) and to ask if they wanted help with something instead of just assuming they needed it.

For me it was doubly annoying because that kind of attitude also ends up with people excusing a lot of bad behaviors from them, like stealing or shoplifting, because they think they don’t know any better or they don’t want to look mean. But it was really frustrating to try to reinforce to the people I worked with that stealing is wrong and illegal and there are consequences, and then when they steal someone’s sandwich at Starbucks and eat it in front of them the barista is just like “Oh no problem, I’ll just make you another one,” and there are zero consequences. I get where people, especially service workers, are coming from with that but it really does not help anyone.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

I mean it's still unethical as hell not to tell the kid they have a different parent - they have a right to know their genetic heritage, just like adopted kids should be told that too.

Yeah, I wouldn't really call that a :unsmith: ending. Maybe it's not a big deal to the other siblings, but it's pretty hosed to keep this from the sister all this time, no matter how painful an event it was for the mother, and it doesn't seem like they were ever planning on telling her. I'd be super pissed if I were her. This is assuming this isn't a cover story the parents frantically tried to come up with, of course.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

lol at dudes who think women’s primary motivation when getting dressed is about how hot random guys think they are.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

InediblePenguin posted:

this is a huge omission from the story tbh. he only says "when im done" and lets the reader assume it wasn't 3am when he was done

Yeah, the fact that he didn’t say how long he was playing makes me assume the worst considering all of the other stories about reddit gamers. I would not be surprised at all if he played for like 3+ hours while his girlfriend eventually gave up and went to bed. If he only played for 30 minutes or something that would be one thing, but considering where he’s posting about this and that it was PUBG, I’m going to take a wild guess and say he spent a bit more time on the game than his gf anticipated.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

What kind of couple dates for 22 years? :psypop:

The kind where the guy takes 22 years to decide he wants to get married apparently.

I’d like to hear what his tampon advice to her is though. I wonder what insight he’s discovered that this 45 year old woman doesn’t know about.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Getting married after 22 years together is kind of weird though. I’ve always assumed unmarried couples that have been together for like 7+ years, let alone multiple decades, specifically do not want to get married for whatever reason, not that they just haven’t made up their minds about it yet.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I kind of agree with the metafilter lady, although my feelings on it are not as strong as hers. That sort of sense of humor gets tiresome after a while, especially if it's the only way the other person knows how to be friendly, which seems to be true for a lot of guys. I know some women who do the same thing, but it definitely seems to be way more common in men. Especially the part where they get upset if someone else doesn't appreciate their jokes. I wouldn't write a multi-paragraph post about how much it annoys me, but it gets pretty lame. I've also always assumed this is some sort of weird masculinity thing that I don't really understand or care about.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

My family is pissed that I [26F] wasn't nice when I called them out on racist behavior. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

I posted not too long ago on another sub talking about my family's racist behavior that got so bad over Christmas that I finally had to respond, and the update below. I wanted to post here too because I'd like as much input as possible.

Essentially, my family calls black people "Canadians" when they want to say racist crap but not overtly. (Ex: "That's a Canadian neighborhood" or "typical Canadian behavior.") I'm the family baby so I'm never taken seriously so I haven't brought it up yet, but finally hit my limit after they did it over and over again at Christmas.

I texted the below to my aunt and my mom today. (Copied/pasted because I can't link to a screenshot).

"I did want to bring up one thing though that has been on my mind. The talk about "Canadians" really needs to stop. I can't control what you do or say outside of family gatherings but it's extremely disrespectful, tasteless, and racist. [DH] and I bit our tongues out of respect but if it continues we will not be silent and if it continues further we will leave family functions early. It's honestly embarrassing having to hear that kind of talk from otherwise rational adults and we won't stand for it anymore. I hope you'll consider not using that kind of talk outside of family functions too because it's incredibly awful behavior."

Both went radio silent. I only got a text from my uncle saying "Wow." When I asked my mom an unrelated question, I brought up my text and she essentially said that I was unnecessarily harsh and I should have just said it bothered me and they wouldn't have done it around me again. I tried telling her it wasn't just offensive to me but in general, that I shouldn't have to sugar-coat it, and she told me to drop it and refused to talk about it any more.

Am I the one being the rear end in a top hat? Was I really that harsh? I'm so mad that I can't see straight but now they're making me feel incredibly guilty.

EDIT -- I want to mention that part of why I feel so guilty is my aunt and uncle just had the entire family over for Christmas, bought everyone lots of really sweet gifts, worked really hard for days and had a big wonderful dinner for everyone. Everyone bought lots of gifts and enjoyed seeing us because we don't visit often. I think my aunt is more sad than angry. I just feel like an rear end in a top hat for causing this big drama after they did all that for everyone.

tl;dr - I called my family out for being racist and I was pretty harsh about it, and now they're pissed. It's making me second-guess myself and feel guilty.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

South Carolina to DC isn't even that far. That's like a 6-8 hour drive. I assumed she didn't have her license at first but she mentioned driving from NC to SC. But her parents probably don't let her drive by herself for more than an hour or two because that's just too dangerous. I guess her only option is to live with mom and dad forever.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I assume when people say STEM they're actually just talking about computer people and engineers. Most of the guys I know that are in natural sciences or math aren't disgusting swamp monsters. They should probably just get rid of the S at this point.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

life is a joke posted:

~the truth is in the middle~ because on one hand she might be battered by edgelords, but on the other hand the brother being like "lol i thought the before pic was better lol" is such a gentle ribbing that she definitely needs to loosen up.

I'm pretty sure this lady's issue was that this kind of teasing was constant from her brothers and other guys. By itself that comment's nothing to get upset over, but if that's basically the only way he interacts with her (aside from telling her to shut the gently caress up), then it eventually gets annoying. I saw her issue as not so much with the joking itself, but rather that these dudes just do it all the time to her.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

sneakyfrog posted:

what if its at your own expense?

People who constantly make self-deprecating jokes are also annoying. Being able to laugh at yourself is good, but when your jokes are all "Haha, I'm an idiot and I suck!" then it just gets sort of awkward and makes me feel bad for you.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

quote:

bagel with peanut butter
That's the grossest thing ITT by far

Huh?!

Yeah I know this was a few pages ago, but I just can’t let it go.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

It’s no different than having it on bread! Yeah, there’s probably some kinds of bagels it wouldn’t go well with, but on plain bagels (and this guy is definitely eating plain) it’s perfectly fine! I just don’t understand!

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Hellsau posted:

he didn't consider his wife to be an actual person with feelings, like even if he thinks reptiles aren't 'real pets' and are just possessions how else do you get to "lol hey babe welcome back I gave away literally everything you've ever owned, wait why are you mad"

I don't understand what this guy's obsession with reptiles is. "I won't have my child grow up in a house with reptiles!" I'm pretty sure that's vastly less dangerous than having a dog around, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

The take that people with money are worse and less redeemable than violent domestic abusers is pretty legendarily bad hth

Not really. An abuser who is rich has a lot more options to gently caress up your life than one who isn’t. A non-rich abuser is still terrible obviously, but having money gives you so many more ways to be a horrible person.

Plus rich people just suck in general.