Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Better than Jedi Knights. For the grand finale to their story, they're required to use T7-01, their very first companion. Haven't used T7 since you got your second companion? Sucks to be you.

They eventually added a free set of up to date gear for T7 you could loot at the beginning of the mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Thanks, is there a goon server to play on or a server agnostic chat channel? Didn't see mention of it in the OP.

Jedi Covenant.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aleth posted:

But who doesn't want a fine, wookie-pelt rug to compliment their lounge?

If you're romancing Iresso or Nadia when Qyzen gives you the wookiee pelt, he suggests it as an engagement present. If you're romancing Nadia, you can politely turn him down because you don't think Nadia is the kind of woman who appreciates a wookiee pelt. Qyzen sighs and goes "Women, am I right?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As for the possibility of new romances in Eternal Throne, datamining spoilers: Doesn't look like it. You can repeatedly flirt with Empress Acina, but she politely turns you down. There are occasional romance-related moments if you're romancing one of Lana, Theron, Koth, Torian, Vette, Kaliyo, or Aric.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hmmm. Will Eternal Throne still be free if I resub after it launches? After resubbing and playing for a couple weeks I've realized I'm already kind of tired of this and am considering dropping my sub and coming back once Eternal Throne actually launches. Shae Vizla as a companion means nothing because companions in the KOTFE/KOTET era of the game don't mean poo poo for the story.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Has anyone summoned the fortitude to finish KOTFE on multiple characters? It seems incredibly daunting since it's essentially the same story

I've done it on six out of eight classes. It's long, it's tedious, you will kill close to a thousand skytroopers and a hundred knights of zakuul over the course of four or five tilesets, you personally do nothing in the plot except what other people tell you to do, and few of the chapters directly contribute to the ongoing plot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I like it...it's just a little strange that ToR has spent the last 4 years getting more and more alt friendly only to suddenly reverse.

But aren't you enthralled by the gripping story and want to do everything possible on one character to fully enjoy the experience?!?!

That seriously is an argument I see a lot on the official TOR forums in response to criticism of KOTFE.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sassassin posted:

She's apparently sith so can't be trusted and I'll have to off her at some point.

You can't. Lana is by all appearances and quest dialogue the one actually running the alliance. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

M_Sinistrari posted:

According to the SWTOR forums rumor mill, Lana is the dev favorite just like Liara and Leliana were.

I'm not sure I buy that. If I had to point to anyone as a dev favorite it would be some combination of Senya, Valkorion, Arcann, or Vaylin.

Lana to me reads more like Hackett, Anderson, or Solas - she's the one giving orders and coming up with ideas while the PC is increasingly relegated to "hey, go do this totally badass thing" rather than being a driving force in the plot in their own right or otherwise taking the initiative themselves, a tendency of Bioware's that's been growing in their last several outings between ME3, DA2/I, and the TOR expansions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

prefect posted:

I don't think it's Arcann. He's looked like a clown almost from the beginning. An immensely powerful clown, but a clown nonetheless.

I'm not sure there's some dissonance going on between how the writers want players to perceive Arcann and the general perception of Arcann as a bumbler. Same goes for Valkorion and Vaylin - I personally can't take any of them seriously as villains, but the story clearly wants me to.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SgtSteel91 posted:

I don't really understand all the dislike for Koth. I though he was alright and kind of funny, like when he cock-blocks a romance scene between the PC and Lana.

I think his main narrative purpose is to provide the native Zakuulian's opinion on things, that maybe Valkorion actually isn't all bad and Zakuul's a nice place to be. The problem with that is that the subsequent narrative completely fails to support that point of view. You get oppressed refugees who dared to question Arcann, and then everyone else is a decadent moron, and this "hey, maybe Valkorion/Vitiate's actually not a terrible guy" line comes hot off the heels of him destroying a major Imperial world with a population of billions. And again, the story then does nothing to support that point of view.

I don't think Koth is a bad character, but I do think he exists to introduce a premise that the game then fails to follow through on. Which can be said of much of KOTFE in general.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Berke Negri posted:

I don't think the kids are too on the up and up about what dad was up to. If I remember right much like the Dark Council, Valk's family doesn't know why he goes silent for long stretches of time, and I'm pretty sure don't know how he became immortal either. Arcann just wants to rule the whole galaxy as emperor, as Valk says in some fashion he has "jealousy, not ambition". Dad hosed him up and he killed his own brother, who he also blames on dad. I don't think Arcann or Vailyn or any of Zakuul really know about Vitiate planning on just sucking up the whole galaxy once he's bored.

Eternal Throne datamining goes into more detail about Valk's motivations. He seems to just be a body-thief now. Valkorion's body was finally giving out, so now Vitiate has set his sights on you as his next host body. Not a word is mentioned about him eating planets or wanting to become a god, he just wants immortality.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sometimes Usually I feel like they have no idea what they're doing with the Emperor's character and just have him bounce from villainous archetype to villainous archetype as the whim suits them.

This is why I have never liked the Emperor as a villain from Shadow of Revan onwards.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aleth posted:

A shameful triplepost.

Right from the start Keeper makes it clear she could be an asset but one that you might need to terminate at some point. It's kind of expected that you don't fully trust her and are just using her for her connections and proven abilities in areas Intelligence are likely to be operating until she becomes a liability at which point yes, she goes out the airlock.

Except you never do get to airlock her, even once she starts blackmailing you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sassassin posted:

If you can't get emotionally invested in a story what's the point?

Apathy is death. The moment I stop caring about what happens to my characters is the moment I stop playing (hopefully the Wood Elf DLC is out for Warhammer by then).

If Sith Warrior Act 3 makes you bitch this much, do yourself a favor and stop playing after the Rakata Prime flashpoint. It's all downhill from there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dalris Othaine posted:

It does at least have a conclusion though.

Fallen Empire and Eternal Throne, to me, feels like it was made for a very specific kind of main character, and different classes and ways to interpret the eight different potential PCs work for the Zakuul expansions to different degrees. I think the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior fit the expansions like a glove, and the Jedi Consular and Sith Inquisitor aren't far behind.

But to me, the Zakuul arcs are much, much weaker if you're one of the other four classes or if you took the dialogue options for the glowstick brigade that actively avoided any interest in power or leadership. The Zakuul expansions declare that you are the Chosen One and the single most important person in the galaxy - believable for some classes, less so for others and the game barely pays lip service to anyone who doesn't want to stick to the railroad.

Eternal Throne is a bit better about not being the Valkorion, Senya, Arcann, Vaylin, and Lana show where the PC is for all intents and purposes an empty figurehead along for the ride, but it's still another big disappointment from Bioware for me. Not as bad as Fallen Empire, and the gameplay is still workable enough, but at this point I think it might be time to walk away from TOR for good.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Mostly from what I remember, nothing much was really ever said in the original trilogy other than the Light/Dark thing, Force ghosts can happen and the Jedi were an Order of Force users, and the Sith were just a name and had to be the baddies since Vader was one. Everything else was predominantly fantheory with the occasional Lucas saying something that might sound good when someone asked him a question he likely never gave any thought to until that moment. So, I'd say it's completely plausible for all those shtick elements to be part of it along with a few other things neither of us are thinking of at the moment. From what I've seen of how the SW mythology's developed over the decades, I can't shake the feeling all of this was never really meant to be detailed so in depth but spergy nerds being what they are, aren't happy unless everything's detailed down to things like Force use during masturbation.

I blame fanfic for the existence of that last on, and my own drat train of thought of "Really, how godawful could this be?".

One of the more interesting world-building bits of Rogue One is confirming that there are ordinary people who follow the Jedi way as a religion. I think that's an interesting spin on it, making the Force something well known and understood by most people but Jedi and Sith are the strange, eccentric monks and mystics and gurus who have gained supernatural powers from the Force.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'd be happier with the one story thing if the one story wasn't awful. :( Senya and Lana can't carry the story on their own, and everyone else in the story is either a badly written character (Valkorion) or a nonentity (the PC).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

She's Sith intelligence. She's already full on cartoon Dark side, have you seen what those guys do?

That's just the thing, when she first shows up she's pragmatic leaning downright Light side. Sure she'll choke a traitor when the situation calls for it, but a huge part of her appeal in SoR was being a bizarrely practical, levelheaded Sith lord.

Then KOTFE hits and her character is replaced with a bog standard Sith Lord.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sassassin posted:

Kira wants to overthrow the government (not a bad idea tbf).

Specifically, Kira wants the Jedi to rule the Republic and gets angry if you point out that that sounds like the Sith Empire or suggest that democracy is better.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

prefect posted:

Yeah, well I'm not a big fan of democracy these days, either. :smith:

The thing about Kira is that if you look closely, she has much more in common with a light-side Sith Warrior than she does with the Jedi Knight. She thinks the Jedi should run everything because the Jedi are just better than everyone, has a [at times not-so-] subtle edge of being racist to non-Force-sensitives, and doesn't much care for the peace and harmony thing the Jedi are supposed to stand for.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

prefect posted:

I would have loved it if Kira had been around for the Valkorion show. :sigh:

And she gets really mad if you ever point out that she sounds an awful lot like a Sith at times, or that the Jedi aren't supposed to rule or make peoples' decisions for them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

prefect posted:

Thinking about it, I like all the Smuggler companions; there aren't any of them I wish I could casually leave behind on some planet. You should give it another shot.

Corso can be incredibly irritating if you play a lady smuggler who doesn't want to romance him. The guy does not take a hint and neither does the game. And if you take one flirt with him ever, it usually locks in the romance.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McSpanky posted:

Yeah game's funny that way, if you play the classes that are philosophically invested in the struggle of good against evil, going dark side often results in just doing a lot of dumb shortsighted poo poo. But if you play a soldier just doing your job that way, you become a loving Waffen SS war criminal.

The non-Force classes had a hell of a lot more creative freedom when their stories were being written, and it shows.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Colgate posted:

I do find it a bit weird they went for quantity over quality for the companions and that they also decided to homogenize them. If they didn't homogenize, at least you'd have a number of companions in each role that you can pick who you liked. Instead we have...well, Chrono Cross.

Another issue for many players, including myself, is that they keep introducing companions but only a small handful actually matter in the story. Even so, with so many chapters introducing new characters who are promptly dropped from the story the moment you leave and maybe mentioned once in a later chapter, there's little time given to develop the characters you already have.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't care whether it's more Zakuul stuff or Sith/Jedi Republic/Empire stuff as long as it's written well. In my opinion, KOTFE was not written well and what I've seen of Eternal Throne on youtube is no improvement.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Colgate posted:

Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm curious what you're measuring the writing against. I find the writing, while not the greatest, not particularly offensive or anything like I do with WoW's. It's pretty par for the course for a Bioware game.

Other Bioware games generally involve the player character being an important part of the story, instead of a personality-less witness to Lana overthrowing Zakuul and without the "Hey people like Game of Thrones, right?" constant nonsense of Valkorion, Senya, and the kids. Other Bioware games also don't constantly introduce new characters, have them be important for an hour, and promptly drop them from the story seldom to be mentioned again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aleth posted:

Posted a few days ago and obviously spoilers if you haven't played through KotET but one of the writers gives some of the reasoning behind Valkorian and the plotline here.

Nothing I hadn't already guessed, personally. Still doesn't make Valk a compelling or interesting villain, and reinforces my impression that the story really was written with the Jedi Knight and to a lesser extent the Sith Warrior in mind as protagonists.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Valkorian's alright in that pseudo-deep philosiphical Matrixy don't think too hard kind of way, he's no Doug Bradley Vitiate though. It's Arcann and Vaylin that drag the whole thing down.

Kinda like Godzilla 2014 where Godzilla appears for like 5 minutes and the other 100 minutes are poo poo nobody cares about.

Meh. Valk was boring when he was "I'M GONNA EAT THE ENTIRE GALAXY AND BECOME A GOD!" and he's boring when he's trying to be Kreia 2.0.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Benthalus posted:

Basically people seem to play this game until they've played through all the class storylines, maybe repeat one or two if they're really into it, then move along.

I just dropped TOR because I hated Knights of the Fallen Empire and nothing about Eternal Throne has made me want to come back. I'm certainly open to coming back if a future expansion includes content and story I care about.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aleth posted:

Bullshit! Not being in the guild means you don't get to see the splendours of the Space Bar and Manaan Karaoke Retreat.

Enough people still play TOR to keep the guild active?

I keep reading this thread in the hopes that they'll add or change something that will make me want to play again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vette's shock collar.

Dark side Jaesa.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Point taken. I do have to admit I did like that with how much Mako was all 'we're killing his rear end' all the way through and when you just leave him there, she's "he's not worth the time.'.

Leaving an enemy alive is the ultimate insult a Mandalorian can deliver, which is what I think Mako is playing on. You're pronouncing Tarro an unworthy opponent, not worth the time or effort to kill - and the ship's about to explode anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

The game is great for small bursts. It just doesn't have the appeal to keep playing repeated endgame content like WoW does.

And honestly, in today's world I don't think any MMORPGs are going to have staying power except WoW and FF14, and those are just because they're established. Today's gamers are about "what to play this week" instead of dedicating themselves to one thing. That's a natural side effect of games becoming cheaper, more plentiful and easy to get on the internet. Not to mention the rise of mobile gaming.

The class stories I feel are still pretty good. The problem is, most of us who have been around for a while have already played all the class stories, some of them more than once. And after 50, it's all into one unified story that's even mostly the same whether you're Republic or Imperial and is for the most part on rails. Opportunities for plot branches are few and far between, unless you count LS/DS points whose decisions will never be referenced again. Plus, in my opinion, the quality of the game's writing plummets after Rise of the Hutt Cartel, or maybe the Dread War depending on your taste, and the story from Shadow of Revan onwards is doubly meh if you're not playing one of the anointed Force using classes it really feels to me like the plot is written around the protagonist being.

Disclaimer: have not played Eternal Throne.

I'm still hoping I'll see the game's story go in a direction that makes me want to pick it up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

The game has been like this since 2014. Knights of the Fallen Empire drove the people who wanted a MMORPG away as it focused on story. I really wish I could see the numbers, because I have a feeling that it was way more successful than a lot of people think it was BECAUSE it was essentially a single player game.

Not everyone. I felt the story took a nosedive with Knights of the Fallen Empire, which is what's keeping me away and from reading the official forums I get the feeling I'm not alone. I got into TOR because of the places and ways it departed from traditional Star Wars ideas and storytelling - the light side Sith Warrior, the dark side Smuggler, the Imperial Agent in general.

I think it's a shame what became of the game.

• Locked thread