Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That's clearly a device that measures heart rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That's clearly a device that measures blood sugar levels

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It was my favorite television-watching experience of all time. Real shame that they destroyed all the tapes and hunted down and slaughtered anyone who rerecorded it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Watterson's main complaint was that newspapers kept cramming comics into smaller and smaller spaces, so artists kept having to draw simpler and less visually interesting comics. Calvin & Hobbes was popular enough that he could insist on some hard rules about how small newspapers were allowed to print his Sunday strip (and thus other strips on the same page), so he was less affected by the trend than others, but he still Had Opinions about the way the newspaper comics industry was going.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Pictured: A Rick & Morty cartoon about off-putting fan bases.

I get it!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It seems like PFSC really hit its stride right around the wedding arc or just after, these have all been Actually Good lately. I knew there was a reason I remembered it fondly.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Fools Infinite posted:

This is what is known in the business world as a ‘hard sell.’
And then, none of you bought Crammerz, and Beartato died. The end.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm fine with people posting comics that they actually like. In the devastating aftermath of Crammerz™, this thread was threatening to become nothing but a race to the bottom, and that sort of cycle can be hard to end. Goon humor tends to turn running jokes into mandatory jokes.

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Jul 8, 2021

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm not a fan of that wave of "yeah well if we're posting bad comics, how about ____" one-upsmanship turning into something that lasts indefinitely. Please post comics you actually like. They don't have to be comics most people like (see: PFSC) but if this thread keeps being just a dumping ground of subjecting people to the worst thing you can find, that'll just suck.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

while it's cool to invent things that make you sad, the actual result is that about half a dozen people have encountered Thorsby comics for the first time, binged the entirety of them, and had their lives immeasurably enriched
I think the person posting HFD is saying "hey this is actually good in certain ways", I wasn't talking about it at all. I'm a fan of daily posts, even of "bad" comics, in that spirit.

Raine Dog and Moon over June were being posted in the spirit of "if we're posting bad comics you should be subjected to this". That's the distinction I wanted to draw.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Glad people are enjoying The Wario Diaries. I remembered it existed and immediately started posting, it's a prefect fit for daily updates I think.

It's the same trick Chris Hastings pulled repeatedly with Dr McNinja -- somehow build out a setting for a solid story on a foundation of the thinnest jokes possible. It's impressive.

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Jul 13, 2021

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Different people like different things. Strange but true.

Can we declare a truce where thorsby-likers don't insist that you're guaranteed to like it if you read more, and thorsby-haters don't insist that anyone claiming to like it must be trolling? It's clear that plenty of people just aren't going to enjoy it, and clear thay plenty of people genuinely do, and arguing otherwise for another five pages won't improve anything or put any more of your favorite comics into this thread.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

As long as people aren't posting stuff they don't like in a purposeful arms race of poo poo, it's fine imo. It's taking way longer to scroll past all these posts arguing about HFD than the comic itself. Post comics you like, drown out HFD in things you prefer, be the change you want to be in the world.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Bechdel test isn't that meaningful for an individual movie, but for looking at the whole industry (how few movies even pass this 'test', as compared to the gender-flipped version) it's pretty illustrative.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Jul 22, 2021

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Plethora posted:

Someone please explain this loss meme for my ailing brain.
Roman numerals
I II
II L

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

killer crane posted:

lol amazing. i want more.

There's one more page of epilogue, but yeah, this is short and sweet.

I'd say "probably for the best, there's no way this would hold up for dozens of more pages" but this man made something called Dr. McNinja cohere for over a decade, so who knows.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Again I'm going to emphasize that the difference between posting HfD and PFSC in this thread, and posting something like Raine Dog or Moon Over June, is that the people posting the former two actually like what they're posting, and are posting it for the sake of others who like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Clementine is my favorite thing in the thread these days. Thanks for posting it.

I'm a fan of PFSC, haven't seen most of it since it was originally posted. The Purina arc last month was great, just a perfectly surreal and disturbing whirlwind.

HFD and Pupkin have both grown on me a lot. Someone said one author is the brother of the other, right? It's amazing how much sense that makes.

Tredlocity is entertaining and fun. I agree that when it tries to do something reminiscent of having stakes, it utterly fails. But the one-offs and jokey adventures are thoroughly enjoyable. (I definitely had the "oh it's another oblivious my-ttrpg-group-is-quirky comic" first reaction, and it overcame that.)

Softies... was failing to hit whatever tone it was going for, and was inexplicably unnerving to me. But this latest arc is landing better somehow. I think the author is going for a "the kid hasn't let themselves mentally process the tragedy" thing, allowing for a contrast between wacky space adventures with deeper undercurrents. But the events of the first couple chapters just... didn't set that up well.

I can't read breadcat, my eyes slide off it. No worries though, I know there are people who feel the same about PFSC, and I'd hate to whine about it like they do. I guess it's the anti-PFSC, bringing balance to the thread.

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 06:20 on Sep 4, 2021