Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Peebee is obviously Space Tracer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

the good fax machine posted:

So just a trailer, and a release date for a novel? Didn't they say they'd have more than just a trailer? Who the gently caress reads Mass Effect books

cut to Plinkett saying "and don't tell me that it's explained more in the novel! what matters is the movie video game!"

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

the good fax machine posted:

What the gently caress is Sera

Not-an-elfy-elf from Dragon Age: Inquisition.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Eej posted:

Krogans own and the stupidest thing they did in ME1 was give you an option to kill Wrex because it prevented them from working the actual best character in the series into the main plot more.

But if Wrex is dead, you don't have to shoot Mordin.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

Technically, it's not, since that's just her nickname, but I have yet to see anything that clarifies what her actual name is.

Filling out the application for the multiplayer beta forced me to look up my N7 rating, which suggested that I'm... in the top 13% of multiplayer players for ME3? I always though I was solidly middling.

PB are obviously initials. Her real name is something like Phlogiston Basileus.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Volus confirmed! :shepface:

Nah, the Batarian People's Republic launched their own Ark.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kurieg posted:

DRY DRY DRY!!!

You will know the spin cycle, Shepard.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Transmetropolitan posted:

Dow Jones is at -709 in futures

This is "people lost everything and have a stone albatross of debt around their necks" level of market collapse

Welcome to the Mass Effect Andromeda thread

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

also it's impossible not to read "The Reapers" in Mark Meer's voice.

Or Marina Sirtis. "And one step closer to the return of the Reapers :effort:"

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Vanguard isn't doing it, repetitive charging and shotgunning/novaing just doesn't have the appeal I thought it would

Unfortunately I'm not really sure what would have appeal except that I suspect Adept isn't it either, so... suggestions?

Engineer. Play through Leviathan and get the Dominate bonus power, sit back and let everyone else fight it out.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Has anyone made a mod that lets us charge the kid in the dream sequences?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Sera, Bull, and Solas are a great combination for the same reasons. There's even a bit of Bull lecturing Sera on her misogyny and how she shouldn't treat women as disposable sex objects.

Sera, Vivienne, and Solas all hate each other and you get maximum snark bringing them along :allears:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ein Sexmonster posted:

It was a fairly restricted demo, not the full game. Hopefully we get some good stuff out of the tech test in the coming weeks+ the press event that we'll see stuff published from thursday.

It wasn't that restricted, there may have been only a few maps but it was certainly enough to show that the multiplayer was going to be a blast. Which it was.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
How much is EA paying all these Twitch streamers to replay Mass Effect 2 (and even ME1) but not touch ME3?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

precision posted:

Bioware apparently couldn't bring themselves to actually do a Judas story though so that kinda sucks.

You forgot Sidonis, "burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out" which sounds like what went down in Garrus' loyalty mission except it was a headshot.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Flare is pretty good too.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

I ended up taking Energy Drain because vanguards don't deal with shieldds well, apparently.

Where should I put the points for biotic charging like a maniac?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

bio347 posted:

Looks to me like all of the time dilation powers have gone away. No Adrenaline Rush, nothing on Charge, nothing in Sniper Rifles or Cloak.

They probably want the classes to behave the same in SP as MP.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Question about ME1 since I never tried this - on Feros it should be entirely possible to not meet the Exogeni holdouts by driving right on past both times (and ignoring the scientist when she says "STOP THE ROVER" and runs out on the way back.) I'm curious how the game actually handled this, does it take into account that you don't know about a way to knock out the thralls and is there a "who the hell are you people" moment after killing the Thorian?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Avina lookin' good

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The Unnamed One posted:

That room is huge!

Ryder should deal with a mutiny during the game

Cerberus Ark arrives, hilarity ensures.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I'm sorry but I genuinely, unironically prefer the derpy sad Sarah face to that over-airbrushed model.

The animations have some legit problems, but I don't know what problems people are having with the writing or story. The GiantBomb guys in particular are being really pedantic and dense from what I've seen.

"So you have a computer in your head?? Whaaaaat??????"
"I know right? Right?? I know! Like I dunno man! Isn't that dumb????"

One of them ragged on the animation of someone using her omnitool without looking at it, because as we all know it's impossible to use a keyboard without looking at each key as you are pressing it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Horizon is a really great game and it blows my mind that Guerrilla could recognize they had a deficiency in story writing, and therefore recruited the project lead from Fallout: NV to direct their narrative. Mass Effect, coming off one of the most divisive and maligned endings to a trilogy ever, hired the guy who wrote Halo 4 to land the plane.

They also seemed to acknowledge something went wrong in ME3 because Leviathan and Citadel, both of which are excellent (heck, I'd say Leviathan is the best DLC if you aren't into fan service.)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

How many of those writers are left, really? The opening hours of Andromeda read like "well we gotta hit Mass Effect trope A, B and C" without any understanding of what made them compelling or memorable.

I'm not going to dig too much into Bioware employee history but it looks like John Dombrow is still working on ME, and Weekes went over to run Dragon Age. Those were behind the Tuchanka arc on ME3 which everyone agreed was the best part of the game. Does anyone have credits handy for Leviathan/Citadel?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

If you look at the department leads for ME, ME2, ME3 and ME:A the only commonality is Mac Walters.

Ten years is a long time at a single company, heck it is a long time in the game industry.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

I won't argue with you, but just googling people in the first minute of the ME trilogy credits suggests there's some truth to the idea of a lot of departures in 2010-2014.

I'm not debating that, but counterpoint, you have a bunch of people who probably joined together when Bioware was staffing up due to KOTOR/ME/DA:O, and they become friends through the fire of shipping a game, and then about 5 or 7 years in people realize that they want to work in a place like Austin or SF which has a lot of game companies, or get tired of the long hours at low pay which is every game company, or just get tired of writing games and decide to double their salary by working at Google or something. And at any company, if there's someone whose best friends at work start leaving, I can guarantee they start sending out their resumes soon because I've done the same thing.

And then you have someone leave and John Dumbrow comes in and does a fantastic job, or David Gaider steps aside to run something and they move Patrick Weekes over from ME so he can run that franchise. Which I would have preferred it if he ran ME but I'm glad he's running something because he's a great writer and I'm looking forward to Dragon Age: Tevinter.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

JBP posted:

I guess people need to be like "HOLY poo poo ITS THE PC" but when you compare Pathfinder (which isn't well understood) to Spectre (which you know is a scary space James Bond) it just doesn't make much sense. I've watched the first two hour streams and people react to Ryder like she's actually done something that isn't sleep in a loving tube for god knows how long.

It sounds like the job is to explore planets but surely you can be trained in that, it's not like everyone was going "OMG WHO WILL EXPLORE" and someone's application being rejected because they weren't a member of the Pathfinder Caste or didn't get a degree in Pathfinding at Grissom College (now part of the Claremont Colleges, apply today.)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
OH THANK GOD IT'S DAPPER_SWINDLER

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

JBP posted:

Sitting on the chair judging people often fell flat but it had glimmers of great gaming.

The best judgment wasn't done in a chair.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DrNutt posted:

I think it's loving stupid that they need to have an OMG ~special title~ instead of just calling them by their name or rank. You were Shepard in the ME games, not SPECTRE. It feels like a lovely thing they brought over from DA 'The Warden,' 'The Champion,' 'The Inquisitor.'

Next there will be three major missions like finding out what happened to the Asari, Turian, and Salarian arks.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kirios posted:

Uhh nothing. This isn't exactly introducing new concepts and setting new ground ala Zelda Breath of the Wild.

I have literally never played a Zelda game, only watched some videos, but it looks like basically the same thing as Wind Walker or whichever one geop was LP'ing a while ago.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kirios posted:

I'm an open world collector kind of guy. I play a (good) Assassin's Creed Game, I tend to 100% them for example.

Wait, even AC2? You collected all the feathers so Mama Auditore would tell you what a good boy you were?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

I think I was warming to Cora a bit as I played, but the trial isn't long enough to really get to know her.

Perhaps that's the problem with the trial. You feel rushed to get in as much "game" as you can in 10 hours, and with a game this size it's daunting. But several times I felt uneasy talking to people because they awkward shell faced drones instead of humans and I just wanted to run away from them and do something else.

What's the length of the game?

Ten hours into DA:I is nothing, either you are rushing to get to Skyhold, or you are still stuck in Haven and doing sidequests before the plot really kicks in with the Mage/Templar recruitment storylines. But DA games always tend to start off with a slow burn.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

Zaeed's gonna get posted tonight. Derelict Reaper, Tali, Legion and suicide mission. But then we have all of Overlord and Arrival :shepicide:

Please say you're going to bring Legion to Overlord :allears:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Huh. I thought I remembered Garrus saying let them die and Tali was saying save them. Guess I'm remembering wrong.

The only one that's hardcoded I know is that Wrex will always say "kill the Rachni."

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

sera is voiced by someone who has never interacted with other people from derby or any of these loving shires and im like two shires over.

edit: actually, its mainly the use of piss. i think maybe its all the writer here and the actress couldn't change it or didn't care enough to.

IMDB posted:

Became interested in acting whilst studying for a B.A. in English at the University of Cambridge

She should have spoken like real Englishmen and said "Jolly ho, gov'ner!"

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Lemon posted:

Sera's accent was fine, the problems were just with the performance and script.

Also all the Dwarves had such fake American accents. Nobody in the US sounds like Varric.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Utnayan posted:

It's a complete enigma. Nothing is ever done because if anyone says anything, and stands up for what is right in these situations which is still ultimately in the best interest of the final shipped product, you will be blacklisted and never find a job in the industry again. It's pretty loving stupid, but thank god some of these awesome folks that do want to do the right thing pretty much keep their mouth shut and move into another company and out of the shithole that is Bioware/EA today.

So what was it like when you were fired from Bioware? :allears:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Fojar38 posted:

Well that answers that (if he isn't lying but ehhh)

Or it's as simple as "he thought it was fixed in the day one patch, it isn't actually fixed in the day one patch, but the day one patch has been released."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Vermain posted:

To be more specific: Drew Karpyshyn's original idea for the Reaper's existence was that the titular mass effect actually doesn't violate conservation of energy - it ends up drawing the energy from the universe as a whole, accelerating entropy, which leads to stars dying faster than they should (re: the dark energy readings in Tali's mission). The Reapers created their scheme to allow civilizations to flourish for a certain period of time until they eventually developed mass effect technology in sufficient amounts as to be harmful to the universe, whereupon they'd swoop in and cull the existing civilizations (to prevent further stellar decay), preserving some of them as Reapers.

They also used the Reapers as AIs to figure out a solution to global warming high warp speeds destroying space-time. I'm not sure why you just wouldn't destroy the mass relays and then pull a Quarantine on systems with sapient life so all life could flourish. Or even just tell them "hey all this warping around is bad, keep it down" backed by muscle.