Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

veni veni veni posted:

It’s not nonsensical. It doesn’t mean everything is art, but everything has the capacity to be art. If someone sees artistic value in something, it’s art as far as I’m concerned. But I don’t see the word “art” as a compliment. If a child expresses themselves by scribbling on a wall, it’s art. If I see a slurpee spilled on the sidewalk and find it interesting to look at, it’s art. It doesn’t mean that either of those things has monetary value, or even that anyone on earth cares about them or finds them interesting, but someone found artistic value in them which makes them art.

It honestly makes life a lot easier if you don’t equate “this is art” with “this is good”. There’s a ton of art that in think is straight garbage but I don’t concern myself with whether or not it’s worth caring it art in the first place.

Can something not made or in some way influenced by humans be art? Could, say, the constellations be art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

It all tastes the same. Pasta is trash, gently caress pasta and gently caress Italy

how do you feel about noodle dishes from, say, Thailand or Japan?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

New PHUO: I don't see what the big deal is about hardwood floors. I mean, it's a nice enough flooring choice, but I don't get what makes so many people go so bonkers for it. (Or why these same people all seem to think that wood paneling, which is the exact same thing except vertical, is dated and tacky.)

agreed. carpet is roughly 1000x better, especially if you live in a colder climate.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I can't think of a good british comedian. Jimmy carr is the most notable example of one that people mostly like but his gimmick of "i say swears with an accent" just isn't funny.

e: limmy is funny but he's scottish

eddie izzard

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Canada and the midwest could not be more dissimilar if they tried. Barring north Dakota and parts of northern Minnesota which are culturally canadian

Alberta == Texas is really the only 1:1 comparison that makes sense, and texas is midwestern...

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Relevant PHUO: Tarot is actually a really useful tool for storytelling and focusing your thoughts, not because of any supernatural fortune-telling ability, but because it presents you with universal stories and archetypes to react to. How could the concept of "Seeing things from a different perspective" or "Death is rebirth" or "There's a fine line between love and obsession" be relevant to whatever circumstance you're meditating on? You could use MTG cards or baseball cards or whatever for the same purpose, but it's just a neat concept and exercise.

This is in stark contrast to things like astrology, where the concepts are still arbitrary, but instead of being random each time, they are consistent and treated as innate or essential to you. Astrology is a lot like other essentialist social constructs like race and gender, but thankfully not as deeply entrenched.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Restaurants should only give people pickles with their fries if they ask for it, otherwise the pickle flavor overwhelms the flavor of whatever it touches

this, but wasabi at sushi places

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Why is there not a Big Caesar's pizza? Seems like a failure of capitalism to me.

trademark law. capitalism wins again!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

BRB, starting a pizza chain called “Ptolemy XL”.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

PHUO re: alcohol chat: self-control and self-regulation should be taught in school. we can and should teach people to recognize and control their impulses, especially violent and addictive ones, instead of relying on parents for that poo poo.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

vodka tastes like drain cleaner smells

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

alexandriao posted:

Get better glasses

this post aged EXTREMELY well

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: There probably needs to be some talk and action on how to deal with surplus men in modern times, but that talk is forever poisoned after incels got access to the internet

That is a problem most populations have had to deal with in some way because the men on the losing end of that equation are the main targets for radicalization and other bad propaganda

probably starts with emotional education, OP

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

silence_kit posted:

Huh I wonder how Netflix is able to assign $ amounts to shows. I'm not sure if views are always proportional to # of new subscriptions

There's a lot of reporting and speculating about Netflix and their internal numbers, but in short, they almost certainly can't.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

PHUO: Politics should stay in D&D and Cspam

only unpopular because then there are still 2 politics forums, 2 more than there should be imho

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is a really depressing worldview. My mom is my ally, my girlfriend is my ally, my cats are my ally even as they poop in my home. They root for me even when I'm not and vice versa.

And this is just allies. I've got plenty of cheerleaders among family, close friends, even a bunch of colleagues and friendly acquaintances. But then again, I believe in that possibility, which is probably a big part of why I've been able to develop such a network of friends and supporters.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Dune was absolutely worth seeing in imax. The problem isn't that movies or TV are bad, it's that all media are 99% popcorn as they have always been. Any medium can produce exceptional experiences that can't be perfectly replicated in a different medium.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't understand how anyone can be so upset about daylight savings.

It's the most obviously dumb and arbitrary thing about our extremely arbitrary and dumb society, a sign that we can't change even the pettiest and most irrelevant things about our collective actions.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Jesus go outside bro.

sorry, it's too dark/bright out.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

this can't possibly be in even the top 20 most toxic threads on this forum

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

phuo: alcohol is a toxin, as are all the other good drugs. toxins are good (sometimes)

christmas boots posted:

This thread isn't toxic at all we're just buds hanging out with buds Fahrenheit is better than celsius having a good time right now

personally i prefer kelvin', absolutely love to kelv

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

KFC is inferior to Popeyes in every way, biscuit quality being first among them.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

popeyes kfc et al are all trash, they make friggin taco bell look like gourmet food. Wtf is wrong with people

you should get your fail tastebuds looked at by a doctor

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Hardcordion posted:

"What do you want for your birthday/Christmas/whatever?" is a dumb question that defeats the purpose of gift giving. A gift is special because it shows you've been thinking about the person and understand their tastes, or because you want to share something you also enjoy. Asking what they want is throwing that thoughtfulness back onto the receiver and reducing the gift to empty consumption for consumption's sake. If you have to give a gift and don't know the receiver well enough to know what they'd like, either accept "nothing" as an answer or just do cash!

this is an unhealthily high expectation to have of other people. folks should get used to other people not being able to read their minds and instead asking about things they want to know. it's ok to be straightforward about things.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

imagine thinking that black friday was in even the top 10,000 most important problems facing black americans. imagine believing that, AND believing that the solution is to post aggressively in the PHUO thread of the Something Awful comedy forums.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Mighty Moltres posted:

PHUO
Multi-page derails and discussions are fun to read.

PHUO: this thread is categorically unable to have "derails." Jokerpilled Drudge's opinion was VERY unpopular and therefore on-topic.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Rainbow Knight posted:

counterpoint: Picard works better as a counter to Q than other captains.

This is a flaw in Q, not anything to do with captains.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

It's not so much that no one will morally do it as that killing people on your own soil is rare, difficult, hard to hide, and hard to keep control of the tens or hundreds of people who might get wind that something is wrong.

If you're a career bureaucrat and know you'll be thrown under the bus if anything gets proven or goes wrong in any way, it isn't going to be your first choice.

cops are murdering americans on american soil constantly, and very publicly getting away with it

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

2nd Amendment posted:

A Sexy supervillian. Такого как Путин

More people deserve to know this reference.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Malls, especially busy malls, should have one day a week that small children aren’t allowed. Adult swim, but for shopping

Amusement parks should also have ~1 day a month like this.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

It's the Beatles. Sure Bob Dylan sucks but most people know that.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

There were like five people that ripped off humongous winning streaks last season and the oldest was in her 40s. One of them was 23.

yeah exactly. people in their 40s. olds.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

it's text and pictures on a screen. i'm text and pictures on your screen, you are text and pictures on my screen. real life is trees and dogs and people and stuff

text, pictures, and screens are all real.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Aramek posted:

We should pay poor people more because I hate poor people and if they have more wealth there will be fewer poor people for me to hate

Super simple stuff.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Robobot posted:

Wait, I grew up across three different states and in every grade from 1st through graduating high school we had a gym period.

Is that not a thing anymore in the US?

my high school "gym "class"" was letting the kids out in the yard to do whatever, sports equipment optional. it was also a single semester you only had to take once. nothing like the strength training and nutrition/health info described above.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

2nd Amendment posted:

Contentment is an ontological state of being whereas happiness is an existential state of becoming.

:kstare:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Mad Max is an incredibly boring film. Amazing that the rest of the series even got made.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

anyone who uses the word "uncivilized" has also said "not to be racist, but" in the last month

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

There’s no reason for penlights or thermometers to be disposable

maybe you could provide one or two concrete examples of what you're talking about since nobody else seems to have any idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Where would you even put them? In the post office or something?

Yes