Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Powered Descent posted:

Capitalism is hardly unique in that respect. Look up what the Soviets did to the Aral Sea sometime.

Exactly, people are the problem, not politics or economics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Is this a joke, if so, smooth. If not, do you know what politics or economics deal with?

Yes, but also no. If we kept our population to a reasonable level our political and economical decisions wouldn't matter.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

Anyways my PHUO is that steampunk is due a comeback. poo poo rules

I would watch the poo poo out of wild wild west 2. It could be will smith's redemption tour. He could slap steam-powered chris rock in the face, but since he's robotic it wouldn't hurt him and they could talk out their difference before breaking out into a new music video (no loveless edition)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

That makes no sense unless you define "reasonable level" as 0.

There is a non-zero level of human population that can exist while maintaining a healthy planet. I'd define that with a totally not pulled out of my rear end number of under 1 billion.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: Anyone who believes this planet is overpopulated is by necessity a eugenicist, and they should start the depopulation with themselves if their belief is so heartfelt and sincere (as opposed to edgy nihilism that went stale when they were a teenager)

If I could be assured that the world would follow through with it, sign me up. For the greater good.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

That’s not what you said, you said a level at which our political decisions “wouldn’t matter”

That's what I meant. With a small enough population, it wouldn't matter if we drilled for oil or deforested areas to support our "needs" as long as we did so at a rate that is in balance with how nature replenishes itself.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Being hung over can be nice. Freedom from responsibility, with a good conscience.

I don't mind them on a quiet sunday or something. Definitely wouldn't recommend doing what I did and having to defend your dissertation hung over though. That was rough but it sucked even more when I came out after passing and seeing my car had a boot on it because of too many parking tickets and I had to walk across campus to pay the fee. I thought as long as I kept paying the fine I could just keep parking there but they thought otherwise.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Your mistake was not making sure you were free before being hung over. I work and work out a lot, so when the chance is there, to just get drunk and do nothing the next day. It is like a gift from the gods.

*and genuine gz on doing that, happy for you

In that case it was a matter of being cocky. My neighbors were having a party and I knew the research so well I thought I might as well pre-celebrate and went a little too far. It worked out though so :shrug:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

To be fair, if he started going on about microscopic things like germs they'd probably think he was crazier than they already did. He was saving that for the advanced course.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

maybe there's a different mystery ape that feeds on their skeletons

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

2nd Amendment posted:

If we are going that route ghosts are definitely real since we can define infrasound around 18Hz as "ghosts".

You took an extra step there. 18 Hz might be infrasound but who ever said infrasound = ghosts? Green is that specific wavelength range. Green doesn't mean anything except that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

The Asylum has done far more damage to American cinema than Disney

There have been very few opinions posted ITT that made me react as strongly instinctively as negatively as this one, i'm ready to throw hands. They have their share of misses but they are a national treasure.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

like seriously how can you see 6 headed shark attack and not realize this is peak cinema

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Their intentionally bad joke movies are bad, but they aren't the bulk of their output. Most Asylum stuff is knockoff of popular movies with legally distinct titles, or movies that try to sell themselves based purely on the poster. And those are all terrible. All of them are 90% army men talking in a room.

But the fact that they're all bad isn't what's damaging to cinema about them. What's damaging is that super low budget movies made quick to fill slots has been a thing in cinema forever, but it used to produce good stuff. Roger Corman is the most influential person in the history of cinema, so many great actors and directors got their start working on movies called stuff like "The Horror of the Atomic Man!" The First movie Francis Ford Coppola directed was a Psycho knockoff shot in 9 days called Dementia 13 that he was able to make because another movie wrapped early and Corman was like, hey kid make a movie. Cannon Pictures, even loving Full Moon, they produced a ton of garbage but they also produced some good, interesting, or unique movies, and trained up a generation of filmmakers.

Now The Asylum fills that position in the industry, but their formula is so rigid they never produce anything interesting, and they aren't training up new filmmakers. They have shut down what was a major talent pipeline into the industry.

To be fair, I exclusively watch their "intentionally bad" (good) movies, I never saw the ripoff versions. I still feel compelled to defend them because their "bad" movies are funny and I like seeing a 6 headed shark stomping across t he beach after idiots who just lay there while it comes at them instead of running away.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

San Andreas was the only GTA game I've cared about playing until the end. All the extra stuff like the dating and playing pool etc I didn't really care about (I liked the flying though), but I have over 1k hours playing it and less than 10 in the other ones. The other ones just didn't do it for me. I bought 4 and couldn't last more than a few hours because I kept dying from crashing into everything. I like realism in some games, but I draw the line at being forced into not driving like a moron in my GTA games.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aside from dying so much while driving, the thing that really put me off of 4 and presumably 5 is playing multiple characters. That isn't appealing to me at all. I just want to be one guy in a game.

also the smart phone stuff. The cell phone stuff in SA was annoying but at least I only had to press the one button to answer the call and didn't have to add contacts and call people myself or whatever.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Oct 13, 2022

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If we're talking about GTA music: K-rose in san andreas was the best GTA radio station out of all of them. There's just something relaxing about running over people and causing major traffic accidents while all my exes live in texas plays.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

christmas boots posted:

IIRC you only play one guy in GTA4. Unless you're talking about the DLCs

Maybe I got it mixed up with what I read about 5 (I did not get far at all into 4 before getting frustrated and uninstalling), but I know in at least one you switch between characters as it goes on.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

Giving someone the middle finger when you’re angry at them only ever makes you look like an impotent loser.

I’ve been flipped off twice in the past six months and both times I wasn’t insulted, I just thought “wow that guy’s a loser”

True, but when you're driving there aren't many better ways to express your displeasure with other people. Maybe they don't care but at least they are made aware of my impotent loser opinion about them.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

gently caress Columbo. gently caress zoomers suddenly latching onto lovely tv shows. And gently caress people who think "Reference" = Joke.

I wouldn't go as far to say "gently caress" them, but if a show's/movie's primary appeal is "nostalgia", it's probably not very good. Looking at you, Stranger Things. Also Ready Player One, but that's horrible for so many other reasons than relying on nostalgia for its appeal.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Ohtori Akio posted:

what's the temperature on The Nanny itt

I always left the room when my parents started watching it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

pretty sure it was harry potter who said that

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

phuo: "the singularity" is a silly concept and it's never going to happen.

e: which makes it well-suited for fantasy/scifi but still it's hard to take it seriously

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Oct 22, 2022

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

How do you imagine the far future? Same as now except the people live in shinier buildings?

It's not a fair question as any rational human imagining the future as it currently stands sees climate change spurred famine, war, etc. but look past that if you can, into the future that might'(ve) be(en).

Hopefully it is a society that realizes the mistakes we have made in our era and doesn't pursue pointless urban expansion. Even just maintaining the status quo would be a big improvement. If we keep continuing with uncontrolled growth hopefully some alien predators come in and regulate the population.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

a.p. dent posted:

my opinion is that all fireworks should be banned because they make my dogs sad. and they're dangerous, but that's secondary

The danger is part of the appeal, but I agree they shouldn't be used if you have close by neighbors with pets. There's just something inherently fun about being (responsibly) stupid with explosives and fire.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

But people with pets are drat near everywhere. The only way to not bother people’s pets is to use fireworks far away from residential areas

which is the ideal place to live.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The worst is cursive done using a mouse for digital signature. I had to sign my name that way like 10 times for new hire paperwork and it just looks like scribbling. I don't know why but my signature always ends up tilting down at a 45 degree angle no matter how hard I try to make my hand not do that with mouse signatures.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Being warm is low key goated a f

I like to be cold. It's kind of a distraction that overrides your brain when you're shivering so you only think about that instead of all the other stuff you'd be thinking about if you were comfortable.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Most fruit is better under-ripe.

Fruit should never be crunchy unless it's an apple. There is nothing more disappointing tasting than an under-ripe melon or pear or orange or basically anything else other than an apple. Ever try to bite into an under-ripe nectarine or peach? It sucks.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Any movie that is being described as a "love letter" to anything is going to be really bad. I don't care what the oscars say.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I have heard Godzilla Final Wars described as a love letter to the Godzilla franchise.

was it good?

I was mostly thinking of movies like Hugo that get 90+% positive reviews. It just feels like we're being voyeurs on movie snobs jerking each other off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

All the hype over ChatGPT and A.I feels to me like the same pattern of bullshit as blockchain and NFTs a year or two ago. Although I can see potential in the technology, the current feeding frenzy smells mostly of bullshit; especially the talk of how it's going to "revolutionize" the world.

Maybe not that unpopular an opinion?

I asked it to create a very basic function and immediately recommended to management to not let anyone use it. It was nonsensical garbage and would have taken at least twice, probably three times as long to decipher as it would someone who is actually competent in fortran to write from scratch.

also the coronation is only boring because you can tell nobody involved really cares. Just a bunch of old people reading off of cards. If they took it seriously it'd at least be a little entertaining.