Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Smythe posted:

i got my job via cronyism
saaaame. say, anyone want to crony me up a new job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Bloody posted:

sure but its in boston and not good
dammit, i think that's the only thing i can offer in return

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Rex-Goliath posted:

- who do you work with on a daily basis / describe the day to day role
- how are decisions made / how will [team] be asked to accomplish things / who makes those decisions
- what are the company's primary values? what characteristics are you looking for in a candidate in relation to those primary values?
- what would be expected of me for the first / three / six months? What will success look like in this position, how will it be measured?
- what sort of training/mentoring/career dev things are here
- what's the most impressive thing you've seen out of someone else you've interviewed recently
- What do you see as the most challenging aspect of this job?
- how do you set milestones/deliverables for projects and how does your team react when it's clear they won't be met
- when was the last time you took pto / how much did you take / what did you do
i used some of these at my last interview, and i look forward to using more next time. thanks for the repost!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

Grats bloody!!!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Maximo Roboto posted:

are there any u.s. cities with a lot of tech jobs besides SF/NY/LA/Seattle/ATX
i've heard boston, but the various boston posters in this thread can probably speak to that more accurately

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

echinopsis posted:

i just want to live god drat it

same, but the opposite

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

got an initial phone call with amazon coming up. i have not heard great things about working there, but it can't hurt to talk to them, right? :ohdear:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

for people who have relocated for a job, how did you go about looking for jobs in a new city without much of a network there? for some reason recruiters aren't banging down my door begging me to relocate like some people in this thread, so i might have to find a job myself <:mad:>

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

not our fault about burger king m8
:eyepop:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

I got a call on my office phone yesterday from a recruiter. I told them if they were dumb enough to call me on my office phone while I am at work, they were too dumb for me to want to work with.

How stupid do you have to be to try and pull poo poo like that?
i got one of those too, along with one to my work email. it just seems like a bad idea.

in other news, i had an initial phone screen last week with amazon that went pretty well, but i have not heard good things about working there. at the very least, it was some interview practice i guess.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

trying to schedule all day interviews while working is a pain in the rear end. i'm sure a random middle of the week day off won't look suspicious or anything.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

a friend of mine is walking amazon's process right now, and they gave him a multiple choice paper test with questions like:

going to an in person with amazon next week. i can't wait for the brainteasers!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

leper khan posted:

I got 4% and was told it was considered a large raise.
same, now i'm interviewing lol.

St Evan Echoes posted:

stackoverflow jobs is quite good if you're in a big market
thanks! :tipshat:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

hifi posted:

What We Need:

An entry level Linux Sysadmin.
o A four-year degree specializing in Computer Science, MIS, Mathematics, Physics, or Engineering.

gently caress these people!!!
i used to work for a government department that required a degree in CS and at least 2 years of experience for a junior developer job paying ~40-50k. no other degrees were accepted, so if you didn't have a BS CS, you needed 4 years additional years of work experience to make up for it, and you'd end up at the very bottom of the payscale at that. they had some trouble filling those roles until someone took a look at why.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

The Management posted:

ciao motherfuckers, I'm out. good luck getting my code to run

how I leave the office every day

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

i had an on-site interview w/ someone skyping in from off site

"welcome to our office, here's a room with someone on a computer to talk to u"
yeah, had one of those recently. at least it was the last of a 5 interview series for the day, and the others were in person. it's kind of weird being just left alone in a random room in an office to talk to a screen about your experience. didn't end up getting an offer though, so the hunt is still on.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

gimme one of those high figgie nyc jobs

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

so, uh, what is an on site interview like at a non dysfunctional company? here it was even more tests, a bunch of bragging about the facilities and then am awkward one on one with a member of each team you were interviewing with.

The Management posted:

they're going to put you in an interview room. one or two interviewers at a time for 30-60 minutes are going to ask you technical and coding questions. they'll take you to lunch. it'll be a long day.
combine these two, and you've encompassed every tech interview i've had, some of which appeared to be at not-entirely dysfunctional companies

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

The Management posted:

first, you need to take a deep breath and not panic about this.

second, reviewing algorithms is always good. read this:
http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2008/03/get-that-job-at-google.html
Now look up on Wikipedia every one of the algorithms mentioned there that you don't remember.
thanks for the reminder about that post. I feel like the algorithms/data structures don't get much practice in my everyday world of mostly sql and web dev, which has definitely hurt in some recent interviews.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

DuckConference posted:

heard back that I failed my technical phone screen at google. I thought I did okay, but apparently not. I did study DSA but since most of the stuff is things I have never used in my day job I just don't have that natural practice, I should have done more practice questions
yeah, I'm struggling with this now. not only is my day job not interview question style coding, but it's often not coding at all, so most practice is after hours. hopefully i can get some of the greatest hits of algorithms embedded in my brain before the next interview.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Sweeper posted:

yeah what do you want to know?

phone screen is standard. if you get the on-site it is an all day deal. You meet with members of the team and some management. They all have different competencies they are interviewing for which line up with the company "values" for developers. Be sure to explain what you are doing and why. Ask questions. Dig into the interview question if you feel it is vague.
seconding this as a 100% accurate description of my recent amazon interview. they send you a packet in advance with information about the company values that were mentioned, and the questions are generally leading toward one of those.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

jre posted:

Or you could create a linked.in profile and immediately fluke your way into it like I did.

I must be doing something wrong, because i don't get many people lining up to give me jobs. maybe not having a bs cs does it :(

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

he called. figgies are in my future. he did wrestle base pay out of me during the talk though.

:woop:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

get good at sql
sql is crazy useful, and it boggles my mind every time we hire a new person who's never touched sql before, whether they're a new grad or someone with 10 years of dev experience. like, how many dev jobs are there that never interact with a database?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

i know it's way harder to find a new job when you don't have one, but it's getting really tempting to leave and take some time off before finding something new. anyone have positive/negative experiences with leaving without anything immediately lined up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Iverron posted:

another good one is letting a candidate react to MacBooks being the standard

an interview is a great time to lecture your potential future coworkers on the evils of Apple
on the other hand, i've had coworkers in the past who insisted on macbooks for C# development, since developers use macbooks, PERIOD. they were actually pretty upset when they found out that they'd have to set up a windows vm for their everyday tasks.

• Locked thread