Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Moola posted:

princess Leia died :(

I was fine up until I saw Mark Hamill's twitter :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

I played Kings of War today. gently caress Dwarves.

What makes them so anger-inducing?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Defense 6 regiments, Steel Behemoths, their loving heroes, and Headstrong, and overall good stats on just about everything. I know Headstrong is their army special ability but gently caress me when it's combined with everything else. Oh they're slow I guess, not that it's ever mattered.

Slow and they can't take the Heal spell naturally. But yeah, I can see how that can be infuriating to deal with, particularly the Steel Behemoth. Why the gently caress is that Def6?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dztM6XSPn9o

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

If that was a dig at GW they should have opened a bottle with a normal opener at the end. If it wasn't a dig, it was still funny.

Oh it's totally a dig at GW.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yes as demonstrated by Moola's dad and sis here.

If this is what's in Divinity: Dragon Command then I think I might have to give it a shot.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

God, shut the gently caress up about Star Wars already, you loving nerds.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

pocket Star Destroyer

:kimchi:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

TKIY posted:

Yeah they didn't even let the end times go for a while before crapping out AoS.

I'm pretty sure AoS came out 4 months after End Times finished.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

half the fun was in theory-crafting with your friends from the scant details and hints scattered throughout the codexes and rules. Every time a canon plot has been expanded, it's invariably been dumb and made the setting worse.

Yeah, this. Nerds and writers (especially nerd writers) have this almost pathological urge to fill in every nook and cranny with detail, explaining everything they can so that their nerd-readers and nerd-fans and nerd-friends can spend a significant chunk of their life pouring over and memorizing everything. Anything that has a sense of mystery to it is anathema and must be stamped out because they have to know everything about the setting and lore, even if its irredeemably terrible.

D&D does this in several of its settings. Up until recently, Star Wars did this too. Star Trek probably does this but I know gently caress-all about their EU and with the weird limbo that series has been in who the gently caress knows anymore. Having a few key locations and the rest scribbled down as "here be dragons" is going to do more to excite the imagination than dozens of books dealing with source material, particularly in a miniatures game that tries to sell itself as "you can make your own army!"

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

they had the Baal which was the best tank because of how much better Rending got between 3rd and 4th

Rending didn't really change in the transition; rather, it became a universal special rule rather than the purview of two units (Genestealers and Daemonettes). Rending got added to the assault cannons, which itself got better because they dropped the stupid 'jamming' rule they had (and added +1 shot iirc).

Atlas Hugged posted:

I haven't looked at a Codex Space Marines from 3e in a long time, but I don't recall a "traits" section. Are you sure that's not something that was added later or from 4e?

There was no trait system in 3e. Closest you can get is the Index Astartes stuff found in various WD articles at the time (which was really, just force org changes). 4e had the trait system.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

With their 4e codex they could make a powerful list, but it certainly wasn't flavorful. Everyone worth their salt took 2x daemon princes with Lash, min troops, plague marines in rhinos, and 3x defilers. Nothing else was even close to being viable.

4e stripped out a lot of individual options for Chaos, including rules for traitor legions and having god-specific daemons. While it fell more in line with the design ethos of most 4e codices, it paled compared to the second 3e codex and their plethora of (admittedly broken) options.

TheChirurgeon posted:

4th edition Blood Angels were loving ridiculous. Half the army would pop out of rhinos and assault you on turn 1, then sweep into the second half of your army on turn 2

You might be thinking of the 3e BA book which was indeed busted (and more or less stayed that way through the first half of 4e). BA only got a 4e WD list which was overpriced and not that great.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Just Dan Again posted:

I remember being completely floored by just how lame 4e codex armies were. It was such a complete 180 from the flavorful armies from the previous codex which, broken or not, definitely looked and felt like their respective legions.

The 4e Chaos book completely invalidated my Slaanesh army (sonic blasters and daemonettes EVERYWHERE) and, not too long after that, the 7th ed. Beastmen book invalidated my all-Minotaur list. I've taken a dim view of GW ever since.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Formations came in 7th

They came in during 6th actually, with the Necron codex.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I probably got poo poo mixed up with Dataslates, of which there was quite a few of them during 6th.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

spectralent posted:

Mantic needs to hire better painters real fast.

How about some models with loads of detail you can't see because the entire armour's painted white, sure that sounds good. - some guy at mantic presumably

I seem to recall that they had a position available for an in-house studio painter a year or two ago and it seems like they hired whoever was willing to work for the lowest price they could legally get away with.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That poor man was broken by GW's betrayal.

It's sad, really. Dude's a phenomenal painter but ever since AoS I haven't seen him paint anything :sigh:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Sir Teabag posted:

This looks pretty rad.

Does anyone know of an RPG that would be a similar apocalyptic theme but set in modern times? Back in the day I was a big fan of Alternity and their Dark Matter setting. This was to the best of my recollection heavily influenced by the X-Files.

http://schwalb-entertainment.myshopify.com/products/godless

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Why would you even agree to that?

Like I still play 40k but anything over 2,000 points (which is already pushing it) is just painful and Apocalypse is the worst, least-fun thing GW has ever put out by a loving country mile. I have never had an enjoyable experience playing in a big game of Apocalypse. Even descriptions of those games make me cringe

I've never heard of a game of Apocalypse making it past turn 3.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

the funny part is, at its core, everyone who plays kind of *wants* to try it because the core concept is "just get the biggest loving armies you can and make it one big rear end EPIC battle" which sounds rad as hell but then the actual execution does nothing to streamline the game, and piles on extra rules, such that the result is a long slog that takes forever to set up and execute each turn so you never get around to later turns. Hell, even the game's mission structure doesn't do anything interesting--it's just more "mash your armies into each other" on a table that's too small to accommodate a game this size.

The only way to even begin to make Apocalypse fun is if everyone just brings only superheavies and so it turns into a scaled-up game of Adeptus Titanicus.

Or you could just, y'know, play E:A, which does the 'massive sci-fi armies' thing much better than Apocalypse ever could.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Too many saves, they re-added the psychic phase back in, more bullshit during set-up, models are even cheaper so there are more of them, rules are even more obtuse so you have to hit up the rulebook at least once per game, longer games (5-7 turns)

That there's even more models on the field is really the killer here. You have so much poo poo to move around the field and keep track of far more units than you ever did in 3rd/4th that it's one of the main culprits of making the game such a loving slog.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

spectralent posted:

He somehow got really chunky looking, though.

He's been slammin' down some chaos burgers for the past two decades. Cut him some slack.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

what the gently caress is a meq?

Marine Equivalent. Anything with T4 and a 3+ save, basically.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

Those are holy loving balls amazing, but Wrath of Kings seemed to die out almost immediately locally :(

Same happened here. A bunch of people backed the KS then just as quickly tried to sell them off mere weeks after delivery, and I don't think I ever saw anyone play a single game at the LGS.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

LordAbaddon posted:

I'm really hoping that The Other Side doesn't suffer the same fate

I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

The other side looks a bit crap

I got a buddy who did playtesting for it before it went to kickstarter and he raved about it, but nothing about it save some of the models excite me. It's a bit of a hard sell when the market is already packed with 28mm mass battle games, and when the mechanics come off as watered-down Malifaux with none of the charm or depth.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Sir Teabag posted:

E: I hope the little circle thing is supposed to be a gun barrel on the guys shield. A gun shield would be hilarious.

Sadly, it's just a gem and not a gun barrel.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Oh, you don't have to convince me that DnD is bad. I knew that from the start. I was mostly just looking to reject the idea that 5e does everything 4e did well better.

5e doesn't even do half of what 3e did but better, and it's basically a retroclone of 3e.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

As far as I can tell, a level 1 Fighter can do little more than "swing sword" but most of the other classes get access to spells, which now have a hit/miss mechanic that 3e never had. Is this correct?

As an example: a wizard with the Animate Dead spell can summon enough skeletons with bows to out-damage the fighter as early as 6th level. As you can imagine, this only gets worse with higher levels, as you can summon more and more undead that will simply murder most enemies by sheer weight of attacks, as well as slow the game down to a crawl (have fun rolling 24 attacks!).

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

panascope posted:

Buying a product with the quality and pedigree of Games Workshop doesn't make you a "dumbass".

It does however, make you a fool.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Honestly any game that takes more than 50 models and doesn't use multibasing like KoW just takes up too much time, effort, and space.

I've harped on in the past about how, if I were to play 40k ever again, it'd be strictly 3rd/4th edition. Because it WAS like 50 models per side for anything that wasn't nids and orks, and you could squeeze in a game in an afternoon and not feel like you wasted the day playing it.

Firefight seems like it'd be perfect for that sort of thing. Instead, Mantic keeps trying to shove the large-scale game down our throats and no one aside from Ronnie wants that.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MFVhqcRpN4

40kers should just get on the right stuff and listen to King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard until it's all over

Well now I have a new band to dig into, thanks.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I accidentally went to the GW website instead of gmail and not gonna lie, I do like those new models. The plague marines aren't as I'd picture them but the Chaos look I like is never coming back and they're still pretty good, and the giant marines are mostly really good. I won't buy any but still.

Which Chaos look do you prefer? RT/2nd?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

It actually looks better with that helmet + color scheme.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The head of the company left.

Kirby is still around, he's just no longer running the company.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

:(

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

They have so very much no competition that they got passed up by FFG and PP is not far away. But hey, if you want to believe there's no possible concurrence for GW...

Yeah like, X-wang is GW's biggest competition in the miniature wargame market right now. SW is being sold in actual big-boy retail stores like Target, Wal-Mart, B&N, etc., unlike GW which only has their own (tiny) proprietary stores and independent game stores.

You can absolutely make the case that the rest of those games are tiny in comparison, but not SW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Corrode posted:

You mean to say that something with the Star Wars licence is selling well? :O

Aside from the branding (Star Wars sells, period), X-wang is also 1) pre-painted and mostly pre-assembled, lowering the barrier of entry; 2) fairly inexpensive to start; and 3) have rules that are actually functional, with little ambiguity, and scales well from casual to tournament without injecting a bunch of house-rules to make it competitive.

GW has a recognizable brand and large presence. It doesn't sell itself on any of the points I made above. If it did, I doubt SW would be eating its lunch right now.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'd argue that GW is functionally on the same level now--X-Wing's rules PDF is free online, but the cards you "need" are scattered across dozens of kits that you don't want

Yeah the cards being scattered is horseshit and FFG knows it.

• Locked thread