Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

K. Waste posted:

Disney canon isn't chronological and linear, it's more like a centralized web, where the magic castle at Disneyland serves as a kind of stargate. I'm not even bullshitting, the magic castle is incorporated diegetically into the opening of a lot of Disney movies, now. Heck, even the new Jungle Book explicitly takes place in Disney's Animal Kingdom.

edit:

And now that Star Wars is canon, you can officially say that all Disney movies take place long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Disney's magic castle is actually the Tower, and all Disney movies are secretly part of the Stephen King cinematic universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

What was the deal with talespin anyway, why did they decide to repurpose jungle book characters for that show, that always seemed like a weird thing to do

I suspect that it originally started out just as a Jungle Book show, but was eventually rewritten into something else.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

friendo55 posted:

I've been looking for a good podcast and/or Instagram account related to Looney Tunes - tributes and discussions on all the classic shorts. I assumed being as popular as it is, it wouldn't be so difficult - but I haven't been able to find anything.

There's tons of film podcasts, and evenat animation podcasts, but nothing specifically to Looney Tunes.
Can anyone help out?

Wouldn't Tumblr be better than Instagram for that sort of thing?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Phylodox posted:

I know a lot of the same people are involved. The writing is very Avatar-esque, too.

Its very important to clarify the writing is like the Last Airbender, and is not like Legend of Korra.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

OWLS! posted:

The rule of thumb with Oscar nominated animation is to watch pretty much everything, because what wins will at least be mediocre fun, and the excellent gems will be the poo poo that got nominated but oscars being the popularity contest that they are had no hope in hell of winning.

A reminder that Ernest & Celestine and The Wind Rises lost out to loving Frozen. I mean the category has pretty much been crap since the Toy Story 3 win, which I am still having a hard time justifying, considering The Illusionist had been nominated that year.

Ernest & Celestine and the Wind Rises were both mediocre at best.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Why isn't Samurai Jack available on blu ray?

Cartoon Network isn't very good at putting out their shows on DVD/Blu-Ray. Its on Amazon Video though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Leap looks like they are making a children's movie about the guy who killed himself by jumping off the Eiffel tower, convinced that his flying suit would work.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

Hey, I dunno where else to post this but Castlevania is actually good. For a moment I thought they were gonna go "look at us trying to look like some awkward crappy anime from the 90's" but,it was nice. Quite gory, but it's ok. I liked the animation and although I haven't ever played the game (I still ask myself why), it's easy to follow. I haven't finished the series, but I loved to their choice of voice actors. (Oh, Tony Amendola! :allears:).

Who was the studio working on it? I completely forgot and I know they've done stuff I've liked.

Its Wow Unlimited Media, which was formed from a merger of Rainmaker and Frederator.Studios.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

A happy solution would be you either watching or not watching Zootopia, your choice, but never telling us whether you did or not

You wouldn't feel compelled to have an opinion one way or another, and you'd save us from reading about it. It'd be the best outcome.

It'd be like... Schroedinger's viewer

The best outcome would be for you to stop being a creeplord constantly implying that you want to gently caress cartoon animals from a childrens' movies, but that is never going to happen.

I'd make a witty pun involving schrodingers cat, but you probably want to gently caress the cat.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 9, 2017

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Das Boo posted:

Honestly curious, is there a reason for this that isn't some dumb, market researched, test audienced, number crunching BS?

Its possible that the movie has a subplot about a kid trying to make a flying machine, but it turned out better than the main plot, and they decided to change the name/make a trailer that emphasizes that more.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...m_medium=social

It is pretty amazing how something written in English with actual voice actors somehow sounds exactly like a cheap anime dub.

Its not actual voice actors though? It has some actors in it, but they aren't really voice actors. Also, the lead is Jaden Smith.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

lelandjs posted:

Nothing about this show makes any goddamn sense. Jayden Smith can't voice act for poo poo, and he's voicing the lead. The creator is the dude from Vampire Weekend, who's never shown any interest in animation (or any creative outlets besides music) before now. And instead of using a western animation style or being Anime-inspired (a la Teen Titans or ATLA) it's full on generic Japanese anime even though everyone involved with the show is American. And the animation's not even good!

Netflix what were you thinking? :psyduck:

They actually got the guy who directed Gundam Unicorn storyboarding it. Production I.G and Studio DEEN are also the studios actually animating it (Along with a Korean studio of course). I'm not implying its actually going to be good, but there are indeed people from Japan working on it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Macksy posted:

Eh this looks like its mostly the korean animation studio working on it. Maybe I'm wrong but it has that strong avatar/boondocks korean imitation anime look to everything in that trailer.

I was just replying to the person that said there was no Japanese people involved even though there was.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Xolozcuintles are just gross looking, but they're still doggos

Yeah, I just got one, they are good dogs.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

World Famous W posted:

IT was OK and avoided a very very bad chapter, and I say that as a fan of the book.

Still see lego instead.

Didn't realize you were talking about It at first, and thought you were talking about Peter Rabbit instead. I was wondering what hosed up thing could be in a children's book.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 22, 2017

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

since that possibly scammy Oz movie, I am forever bugged by trailers where it's clear the Action/Funny Line bit and the other character reacting are in completely different scenes

Uh, that has been around forever.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

This is a pretty neat short about happiness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9dZQelULDk

lol such subtle and original commentary about society.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I swear that they already have one???? My kids watch it all the time. Not the movie, a series.

Are you sure your kids aren't just watching the news?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

You'd figure if they want people to use their app, they'd make sure to air a wider variety of shows. How are kids supposed to know if they want to watch a show, if they've never watched an episode of it?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I think Hotel Translyvania would be better if the movie didn't decide to focus way too much on Adam Sandler and his friends. I feel like the daughter/love interest barely got any character development compared to Adam Sandler's character.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Nude posted:

Much like The Incredibles funny enough.

The Incredibles never really brought up Jack Jack not having powers as an issue though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

My roommate brought up a good point that this should've been used as learning experience. Watch the movie with your kid and explain that that scene does NOT mean you should just be ok with being touched like that if you're not comfortable. But no, no one wants to do that, they'd rather complain until the scene is removed and they don't have to talk about it if their kid sees it. However, as my roommate pointed out, if they didn't talk about it and the kid saw that scene and then it unfortunately happened to them, they'd possibly get the wrong idea.

I think the better solution is not taking your kid to a creepy movie where they think a scene about forced genital touching is a good idea.

Also, if a studio thinks that the scene is a hill worth dying for, then they shouldn't be surprised there are consequences. Why the hell would theaters put out their necks like that for a lovely children's movie? Nobody is obligated to distribute a bad film.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I've never even heard of this show.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Princess Mononoke is coming back to theaters for like, 2 days:

https://gkidstickets.com/us/studio-ghibli-fest-2018-princess-mononoke/

Yes, this is part of an ongoing Studio Ghibli event.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Vandar posted:

From the Wikipedia page:

I guess it's in development but they can't find a distributor? :shrug:

I don't know if I like it being CGI though.

Its pretty weird that they aren't adapting the first "film" (its an OVA), Since that is the plot of the first book. Also, the director has only directed a tekken thing before.

Also, it being CGI is a giant red flag. I've yet to see a CG tv show solve the lifeless environment problem.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Land of the Lustrous had some really creepy gross poo poo in it, at least the manga did.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The Wreck it Ralph movie should be all about Nazis invading the internet, and the brands meekly submitting to them.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

Man, so we're just accepting that that is a thing that is going to happen, uh?
God, I hate this feeling of powerlessness over these titans devouring each other, and growing stronger with each kill. I feel like a person in a crowd scene of a kaiju movie.

Disney buying Netflix is unlikely. They already are going to have 2 streaming services.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

Let me go look for news about this on their official website...

I have to give credit to Warner Brothers for making sure this historically important website was preserved.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm out of the loop, what did Joss Whedon and Linkara do exactly

Joss Whedon cheated on his wife with multiple women for a very long time.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I just think that a video game supervillain, an YouTube comic book critic and Joss Whedon being the only feminists TV Tropes could name (at the time - I haven't been on TV Tropes in ages to check if they've changed it) is very funny.
Buffy the Vampire, and Doctor Who used to be on basically every page. (Not to mention some weird gross fetish X-Men rip-off welcomic.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The egg eating scene is about the only thing I remember from Rescue Down Under.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUNXwgDObr0