Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Sir Lucius posted:

the navy feels the same under the reign of commander and chief god emperor trump.

Wait until the pictures change on the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
Today and Tomorrow is Mandatory "Transgender Training" for Day/Night shifts (makeup on Friday). I haven't heard anything discouraging from the students, but I am kind of curious what's going to be on those power point slides.

I remember when DADT was repealed, there was a training session over in Andrews that my command had to go to, and everyone seemed to be alright with it. But there was one chief though, who, at a discussion about how homosexual sailors could bring their spouses/partners to Command events/picnics/Mandatory fun, decided that he should be able to harangue these hypothetical because he didn't want his (five) children to witness two people of the same sex kiss one another (it always seems to be homosexual men with these people).

Of course, that chief happened to be my division chief, who was leading a bunch of liberal pansy-rear end programmers. He was also black man -- it's always weird to see people punch down on others when they were barely a generation apart from being punched upon. I don't think he ever saw it that way though.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Our training was thankfully mostly dull rather than extremely awkward (I was expecting the worst after the last SAPR training with those godawful videos). The base CO did a pretty good job at the beginning of laying it out - "we did this with blacks, we did this with women, we did this with gays. Nobody gives a poo poo what you think, it's going to happen and it's not going to be a big deal." Then it's like 45 minutes of narrated powerpoint slides explaining uniform regulations and DEERS admin throughout the transition process.

Normally if I see a penis in the men's locker room then something has gone wrong, so I can't imagine many trans women being super eager to start swinging it around in the women's room.

I really wanted to claim a religious exemption from the training as a Unitarian. "I promise I'm cool with this, it's entirely in line with my religious beliefs, can I please skip it?"

For some reason, there's no focus on trans men. Hmmmm... I wonder why?

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
I already had a job when I went for TAPS in Annapolis. Annapolis was filled MUs who had never left Annapolis after 20 years. Also some officers who were instructors.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

LingcodKilla posted:

So he should go reserves right? Get in, get "trained", get his clearances, get a job.

CTN-trainee reserves are a little weird, because JCAC gives you about 25% training in all four fields and uses old examples just to teach technique and methodology. Without follow-on OJT & experience, you're not exactly useful in the field. I don't know what purpose CTN-Reservists even have.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

orange juche posted:

Knew a guy who did it (CTA) as an E4-E5, he basically did all of the SSOs work while the SSO lazily rubber stamped everything. Its a fuckload of admin paperwork without the advantage of having other poor fucks to distribute the workload.

Now, as a YN, the CTA work is just an NEC-based collateral duty.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Team America is 13 years old.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Howard Phillips posted:

TGPS does suck but you can use the time to think about some stuff maybe you've been kicking down the road or haven't thought about. Bring your own laptop and work on resume or job/school research. Some of the activities are stupid and you will have to do them but overall it's not that bad. Nice break away from your command if your work environment is toxic or overbearing.

It also counts as active time, so you can block it in between two leave blocks like you would PTDY/Househunting entitlement to make that sep leave even longer.

I used this to begin my away time in July but actually got out in November

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

ManMythLegend posted:

Also since we're talking orders chat I just got a verbal to head to Fort Meade. Time for me to be officially stationed at Navy Nerd HQ.

Ft. Meade is alright. Most nobles live near Waagh! Chapel in Crofton, which has been built up a *lot* to compensate for all the high ranked officers living in the gated community there. They even have one of those 60mph go-kart tracks there.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
Wasn't losing the contract why that NMCI guy went ballistic in JBAB 4.5 years ago and took a gun to the place?

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
Was on Nimitz in 08 during first CVN to Chennai. Can confirm double dragon Gastro'enteritis shipwide for two weeks straight and 4 hour cleaning stations daily with quarantine chow.

They park you out by a wastewater plant. You are drinking their poo poo.

Also the boats sank and every one was stranded on the pier. Have pictures of the situation. I wasn't sleeping there. Took the admirals gig to rescue people the next morning, oddly enough the 4th of July.

Only officers had hotels. So it was just enlisted being stranded on the industrial pier and they weren't allowed to leave or to find lodging.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Dingleberry posted:

Can we all get a recap?

'07 Deployment Nimitz (the one right after the "Carrier" show), actually. I misremembered. It was right at the end of the Malabar bullshit with the Indian Navy. They did the same in the '05 one. Anyway, we had left in April, like right after April Fool's, and it was July and this was our second scheduled port call (we'd get a beer day on that deployment for going over 60 days without port, and that wouldn't even be the first one). Ted Branch had just left (and would go to gently caress up the IC as an Admiral, where I would cross-rate into and meet again, later), and Captain Mike "Nasty" Manazir was the new CO. We did this exercise called Valient Shield with the lovely Kitty and the Stennis(? I think), where the Navy wanted to try out to see if 3 carrier strike groups could even work together or if it would just be a master class clusterfuck. All we got out of it was a photo op that people tell me they think is photoshopped. The navy's pretty good at photo ops and putting a bunch of ships on a straight line, including 3 CSGs. I know I'm making it up, but I feel like the Kitty Hawk always has pieces falling off of her when she was moving. Mostly rusted paint.

Anyway, the port call was historic in the sense that a carrier had never visited India. No one knew what to expect. Some serious "Temple of Doom" vibes, y'know? I wanted to visit the Theosophy Gardens, but all I knew of India were Dhalsim's stages in Street Fighter, so whatever. I got big into Theosophy in high school. A bunch of Indian leftist activists were ready to protest a nuclear ship because of "cannot confirm or deny the presence of nuclear weapons on board the US Navy ship, though it is not the policy of blah blah blah..." (why do I still have that memorized 10 years later?) Anyway, that's nothing really out of scope of the normal poo poo in Japan.

It's enough that they have no actual military port in Chennai, which is off the Southeastern Coast of India, near Sri Lanka and is not the Fun Jungley India, nor is it the Fun Mountain Punjabi India. They did have an industrial one, probably built by the British to take tea leaves to Europe 300 years ago. It isn't good for a carrier, so the Pickney takes the pierside brow. Gotta put the carrier somewhere, I guess, so they anchor us out. No big deal, happens in Singapore all the time. So the carrier moves out a couple miles out into the brownwater at 2 July 2017.

People are antsy. Hotels were cleared out a long time ago in presales, and the tickets were few so almost all of them went to the nobles. Standard thing where it's Captain First after we lower the anchor and everyone secures for watches. The Port Call schedule the entire time I was on that ship was that it would be 4 days and leaving on the fifth. The airwing would have 1 duty day where a section would stay on the ship and perform watchstanding, like hangar and flight deck security/firewatches, and then our squadron would make us stay a *second day* for stand-by duty because their personnel standing watches means no one was actually doing maintenance. So the airwing would lose half the port call every single time. This had an added psychological effect of making airdales go fuckin' hard to drink their sorrows away both days while most of the ship's company enjoyed the four days off (and for sure the officers enjoyed them regardless of station and would be off-the-ship the entire time in their fuckhole hotels while they used codewords to violate OPSEC and fly their wives ahead of schedule to meet them before the ship ever got there and no one seemed bothered by this). This makes people antsy, and the fact that we had ferries loading upwards of 100+ people going back and forth would still take over 30+ trips and just barely get half the ship.

So here's what no one knew: the Indian Ocean in the summer is goddamned Monsoon season. This makes the waves, even those just off the coast, really rough and vicious. These fuckin' dhows the natives were bringing out were not meant to ride monsoon waves. Within 2 hours of general liberty call the whole thing is cancelled. A line from the fantail all the way back along the hangar has to go back to their rooms and jerk off. It's reported one of the boats fuckin' sank. It fuckin' *sank* in the water because it kept taking more in and the thing broke. A YNSN gets a NAM for taking muster of the 100+ people in the ferry as they transitioned to a rescue ferry and manages to get most of the luggage cross-decked. Then they're returned. Everyone on the ship now stays on the ship because people with hotels were prioritized. No one comes back.

July 3rd. Attempt #2 gets a lot of people off the ship. This was the best opportunity to get anyone not in a hotel off the ship to actually visit India. Once in a lifetime opportunity; 'git you some spirituality. Hundreds of people make it to the otherside before high tide rolls in and sinks two more ships. Liberty is secured again. Now, there's a problem. There's a lot of people in India; more than have hotels. The water is too tough and the natives decide to stop ferrying. They won't even come back at low-tide. The watchstanders/shore patrol are already there, and not even they can come back for watchstanding relief, meaning they have to stay on watch. The call is this: Hotels are packed, and as soon as the people come back to the industrial pier, they can't leave and have to stay. No one can leave the pier. They have to stay and wait until the morning to get back to the ship.

The Pinckney does their best and opens up whatever space they can for berthings, including their gym spaces and deck/nonskid and any spare racks. There's like 500 people stranded though. There's nowhere to sleep. People did their best and "found a good rock." Bodies were piled everywhere on this disgusting industrial pier that smelled of waste and had bugs and dragonflies the size of goddamned baseballs. The market was filled with people on the 'sandbox' (to use a UAE-ism) in those plastic picnic chairs just bowled over themselves, passed out on a table. People were sleeping in the industrial trailers around the entire facility. Watches just patrolled the area. But gently caress sleeping on that poo poo.

When the Day of American Independence occurred, the Captain's Gig was the only boat left. 4th of July, and the next Watch comes along and we have to use the goddamned Captain's Gig to get people back. I was a part of that patrol. Everyone who was on that duty section was impressed to rescue everyone in India. Reconnoiters occurred at the Chennai Police Stations so buses were dropping people off at this Cricket Field and then given ham sandwiches and water and then sent to the pier to get on the Captain's GIg and sent back until another set of Dhows could be repaired to continue it. Again, no one is let off the ship who wasn't on the rescue team. I saw some of the faces of those people coming from the pier. Didn't realize you could completely lose all respect for the Navy in one night, but there you go. All it takes is for Big Daddy Navy to just completely abandon you on a pier. I saw a dude who was Petty Officer of the Quarter AZ2(AW) have his spirit completely crushed and just go straight to "gently caress it" mode after that night and prepare his DD214 paperwork. People were dirty, greasy, muddy, and *still* hungover. It would be 6-7 weeks until the next port call, but no one knew that.

Those were the people *outside* of the tent.

So everyone gets back. July 5th we're leaving. Here's where it gets good. No one realizes that the Nimitz was parked out in the place where a water filtration plant was. I dunno if you go to GBS and visit the India thread there, but take it from me and when I actually went through Chennai looking for people: that place is a fuckin' poverty pit. Billboards of beautiful lightskinned bollywood actors and actresses in the place, shadowing these absolute hovels of abject poverty, shoeless people walking around underneath high tensile electrical wire in U-shaped slums with all manners of university mills and people making GBS threads on the street because no one has indoor plumbing and I guess that's just a fuckin' thing you do in India because it'll get washed out to the Ocean (where our ship was parked). Everyone is in those small economy cars or mopeds. There aren't any fuckin' lanes on the street and it's like 5 lanes of people and in India it works via echo-fuckin-location because everyone is constantly honking their horns -- not out of aggression, just to let everyone around you know you're there so some bus doesn't run over your moped that's carrying you, your wife, your two kids, your pet dog, and a goat with your week's work of groceries stacked on it like the Road Trip episode of fuckin' Pete & Pete. There's shrines on the sidewalk everywhere to Hindu Gods and they're beautiful. There's murals on sports stadiums and it's awe inspiring. The people are absolutely riddled with disease and have nothing but robes and curry; these are the unwashed masses that Burke liked to write about. They're absolutely humbled by our visit and I was given a gift by one about achieving Dharma that I still treasure. Their lack of infrastructure is epitomized by the apartment complexes falling into ruin, but Chennai is so dense with people it's hard to even criticize. The dichotomy was so far away in the extremes in terms of class that it's enough to make you a tankie.

Anyway, the ship has been pulling up the "blackwater" as he calls it for the entire week to go into the potable systems and ensure the goddamned reactor doesn't melt down. Reverse Osmosis does a lot of things, but it don't get rid of all the viruses that can survive in the air. Now, there's always the expectation of traveling far away exposes you to microbials the native population has grown resistant to; that's natural selection. Things like smallpox and syphilis are the grandest of exchanges, but to smaller degree is Montezuma's Revenge in Central America and "Delhi Belly" as its called in India. What we got wasn't fuckin' Dehli Belly. Everyone drinking and using the water (which was everyone because it's a ship with a scullery and a shower and water fountains) contracts gastro-enteritis from drinking Indian Shitwater for a week. The entire crew comes down with it. It's the Double Dragons. There's absolutely sickness firing at both ends. Simultaneous vomiting and diarrhea in projectile forms (thankfully my berthings head had two rows of stalls so I could sit between them and fire at both ends while on all fours).

Everything gets fuckin' secured. The galleys no longer use trays and utensils. The CS's and FSAs grab the fuckin' styrofoam trays and plastic sporks and behind the glass, in some fuckin' biohazard suit, they plot the food for you and hand it to you at the end of the line. All four lines, plus ward rooms, plus chief's mess go like this for two weeks. Cleaning stations double, and then the times double. twice, two hours a day, at shift change, are cleaning stations. Every workcenter has to go to Corrosion Control to get this sort of red/orange kool-aid biohazard spray and wipe down everything with it every single time. It's like this for two weeks. Medical puts out a notice that there's no fuckin' cure for G-E. It's a virus. Just don't die from dehydration. Everyone has to let the virus work its natural path of liquefying everything in your gastrointestinal tract and firing it out of the nearest hole and once it's over we'll be okay.

It passes. People drink more water and jerk off more and we keep heading west to the gulf to do the actual war poo poo. After a beer day, we pull into the UAE. That was alright.
Hong Kong/Singapore on the way back.
Tiger Cruise in the last week.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

vulturesrow posted:

Vriess definitely wins the battle of worst India visit. I guess maybe we did learn a few things from that experience. I know they treated the water onboard and to my knowledge the cases of GE are limited to those who did dumb things like drink water in town. We only had one night where Sailors were forced to sleep on the pier. The real kick in the balls was when we dropped anchor on day 1 and then realized we didn't have a single service ready (thanks India!) whereupon we weighed anchor and drove further out to get away from the shitwater.

His description of the place is highly accurate though. The first night I went out I saw a dude sleeping naked on the sidewalk. The only place I've seen that had more out and out poverty was Djibouti. The Indian officers I met all pretty much told me in their polite Indian way that they thought Chennai sucked as well.

It was almost exactly a decade though when we got out of quarantine.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
see fuckin' Dunkirk

In IMAX

Now.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

maffew buildings posted:

I just need to know how to get BAS for the time gone, can't figure it out on my claim. Our supply department handles DTS so, that's fun

Former DTA:

Switch your per diem to commercial rate. Write in that the place had no government dining facility.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

DinosaurWarfare posted:

You know those specialized skills you have or the "fun" of doing your specific in-rate job?
Imagine that those aren't there and your job consists of updating excel spreadsheets and being poo poo on by people who cannot function anywhere else and are also landwhales who scream and throw poo poo.

But who do you think has to marry said landwhales?
Certainly not the Nobles.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

More like "enter male"

NASP and IWTC shutting down tomorrow. Gonna compress the poo poo outta JCAC.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Billzasilver posted:

chair force.

That's our words

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Sir Lucius posted:

I was a CTN for 6 years. It was a comfortable rate with minimal stress. I'm now a govt contractor and life is great.

One of the other CTN goons is/was an instructor down there when I went through jcac.

Two. FartSandwiches and I are both instructors.

Also, I don't know why you guys even tried to talk LogicalFallacy out. The Navy Thread must thrive. It can't thrive if no one is Navy. We sacrifice him to the reactor so our thread may live off his pain.

It's for the Greater Good.

When he stops posting. We'll know he went sadbrains. By the way LogicalFallacy, read the sadbrains thread so you know how to handle your future suicidal ideations. We don't really want you to kill yourself. It's just statistically probably you will attempt to do it. Memorize those resources when the time comes so you can get proper help.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Null Integer posted:

Also currently a CTN. I think Laranzu is one too.

Right. So were we.

Any CTNs that came through JCAC in the last 4-5 years have met one or both of us.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Blackchamber posted:

It's not a rate or mos. It's usually a job done by civilian contractors but supposedly people have been assigned temporarily to work at the gym and other places and do that crap.

Depending on the kind of trouble you get into, big Navy has something called temporary holding units and they farm people out to do lovely jobs.

TPU /THU is also where people go when waiting on adjudication for their clearances for SAP access or what-have-you. THU is full of A-schoolers from Corry who didn't get their polys in time and, yes, they get sent to good ol' Eagle Fitness to hand out Basketballs until the SSO okays them.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

RE-ENLISTMENT SELFIE

Never thought I'd see an SRB that big as a Tomahawker.

Good job.

That's the initial pre-tax, with the other 50% being paid out for the rest of your life, right?

'Cuz you can get that as like, a raise, once you're out.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
All of Pensacola is shut down for Gordon.

Hell yeah, no work.
No School.

Just chillin' at the Winchester and waitin' for this whole thing to blow over.

My buddy at Meade convinced some people in DINFOS to authorize him to write a fluff piece on a Navy Couple that CosPlay together. So they authorized DTS travel for all three to Atlanta with flight, rentals, rooms, and CMR/Per Diem for DragonCon.

All he had to do was buy a $140 ticket.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
NAS Pensacola and CID Corry locked the gently caress up today. JCAC shut down.

Michael Myers is comin' to stab the gulf coast.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

orange juche posted:

What the gently caress does an fc even crossrate to?

CTN

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
4 day weekend. A bunch of students got voluntold to be in their dress uniforms to match in a parade Monday. So they have uniform inspections this weekend and muster all Monday to march down the street for Armistice Day 100.

Hahaha. So glad I'm out.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Or get mustered afterward, put right back on a bus and driven out. But yeah sure you go spit some game bro.

This is what will happen. They're students. They will be mustered outside of the barracks with a uniform inspection an hour before the ride so a reinspection can happen, get bussed, remustered, march, remustered, and bussed back to the galley then disbursed to their duty sections.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Dorstein posted:

I... said that? Apologies for not being clearer.

I'm not saying you can't be a homesteader in the US military, just that it's not the default. Also that the incentive to cover busted stuff up until you leave isn't really present if you never leave.

I went to TAPS outside of Annapolis, and upon learning that the MUs stationed there literally never leave, except on deployment "tours"; but they just buy a house and stay in Annapolis for 20-30 years playin' trumpets and oboes and poo poo blew my loving mind.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Fuuuuuuck the Navy.

New Thread title?

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

My favorite was when we had two engineers (actual engineers), a programmer, a former OSINT analyst for worked for a well known private intelligence firm, and another guy with an MBA all undes in deck department because for a while there was a policy at San Diego of not giving most A-school drops a second rate, and lol BUD/S is an A-school.

Seen this at Corry. Some gung-ho moto SWCC candidate comes to Pensacola for training for EOD or some poo poo, takes a bad fall, gets medically discharged from the program and gets sent to fuckin' JCAC because of their AQFT. Taps out within two weeks and that's two failed schools, so undes they go.

Two months last RTC and the Navy ripped their heart out Kano style. Now comes the 4 years of chippin' and striking into FSA.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
Some Nuke ET3 in Prototype School is a highly notable member in one of the strongest multinational fascist groups in the world, and put enough information about himself on discord that people were able to put things together.

https://haleyvilleara.blackblogs.org/2019/04/08/identity-evropa-member-south-dakota-farmer-der-seeteufel-aka-andrew-wietgrefe/

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

maffew buildings posted:

the battalion we're relieving has people on restriction for having painted a dick and tits on the banner of the battalion they were relieving

5 for equal opportunity on the evals.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Just drive up and down unaccompanied housing in an unmarked white van offering free candy, BAH and Xboxes, I'm sure you could reel in something.

a speeding ticket from the MAs

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Right!?! I'm from Portland so getting back to the NW's climate has been my goal since they sent me to Florida.

Whidbey Island is run by the Dutch Mafia who care a lot about property values and "the right kind of businesses" and even the strip clubs close at 8pm to ensure that a Wal-Mart won't be built.

Deception Pass gave me vertigo.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Man Dutch Bros is expanding their power base it seems :downs:

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I thought the pinnacle of a Captain's life was the :smug:ness his wife gets to enjoy every time she gets to use one of the O-6+ spots at the Exchange/Commissary.

I thought it was the initiation to all the Swingers' clubs

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Stultus Maximus posted:

A group of people who won't stop puffing out their guts chests about how they're the backbone of the world's finest Navy also like to pretend they're badass pirates with skulls and poo poo because the culture is fundamentally stupid.

Skulls. That's always the symbol for good people who should be trusted with authority.

Skulls.

:yohoho:

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The utility jacket was the best and I still have mine from 2006.

Same.

Kept all the coats; utility jacket, Eisenhower, pea coat, raincoat + liner, foul weather.

Then I moved to Florida.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So apparently naval aviation has suddenly found itself in such a major budget shortfall that they're shutting down an entire carrier air wing for the next three months. No flying at all.

They're also straight up not repairing or doing maintenance on anything over a certain price point, which is going to lead to some loving amazing backlogs for a long time to come.

Apparently there are even more drastic options still on the table if needed. :munch:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28732/navy-may-slow-aviation-ops-due-to-budget-shortfall-as-it-ground-super-hornet-demo-team

Oooh man, there are still conservatives here in Pensacola with "Ground Air Force One, Not our BLUE ANGELS!" bumper stickers from the Republican-lead shutdown/sequestation like 7 years ago.

I wonder if their convictions hold when this comes to pass?
Hrmmm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Virginia Slams posted:

I have a question on waiving your last advancement exam when getting out. I'm trying waive it because there is zero reason i would ever stay in. But I feel like my chief is just making poo poo up at this point regarding waiving it. He said that people who are hitting HYT(I am not HYT) who waive their exam lose benefits or whatever and that he believes that applies to waiving your final exam if you are not HYT and just getting out.

To me it sounds like he either has no idea what he's talking about or he just wants me to take the exam for no reason. Anyone have insight, does this sound like bullshit?

Your first fault was letting your command know in advance you're getting out and now they're trying to gently caress with you for it.
Play both angles. Don't commit. Act like you're going to simply transfer.

Then when they have all your award paperwork done, simply don't sign your re-enlistment paperwork or OBLISERV and skate out to PERSUPP to do your DD-214.
Tell them you're going to TAPS because it's a requirement in the last year, or do it right before sep leave when it's too late to change things.