Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

R.D. Mangles posted:

Remember you read it here first, but God Healer and Oracle J Leman predicted on the Big Ten Network that The Mighty Northwestern Wild-Cat is coming out of the West next year. See you chumps in Indianapolis.

Michigan and Northwestern would be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Here's a bad idea.

https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/818835565818900484

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Komet posted:

Tom Herman is a good hire, but not many teams get turned around that fast.

My take on the odds:

1. The fact that Alabama is given a 25% chance to win the championship every year is really bad for the sport at large.
2. Vegas has a lot of respect for Coach O, but it appears they still view Penn State as a fluke. USC and Penn State are both young and pretty equal teams, but I would guess that USC's odds are so favorable because Vegas does not see any competition for them in the PAC. The implication is that USC is a near-lock on getting into the playoffs and Penn State still has to fight its way through Ohio State and Michigan
3. I wonder what Ohio State's odds would be without Kevin Wilson?
4. Michigan is overrated going into next year. They were a senior-laden team. I'm not sure how you can argue their favorable odds unless Vegas believes Harbaugh is hiding some redshirt freshman or sophomore Andrew Luck type of QB

2. they are
4. he probably is

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Komet posted:

Jim Harbaugh is weird and unable to see the line between appropriate and inappropriate social behavior. Michigan fans should just accept this and embrace their coach for who he is. It's not like he's a terrible person and covered up a rape scandal. He's just an eccentric with an childish temper.

I don't know what you're talking about specifically, but Harbaugh is completely embraced, even uncomfortably so

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

got any sevens posted:

I'm sure those 5000 year old records before paper was invented and most people were illiterate are accurate

Actually, in ancient Hebrew culture, verbal storytelling was a popular gathering activity, and if you messed up, others would interrupt and correct you, preserving the accuracy throughout generations.

We do the same thing today on Twitter, with bad sports takes.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

For what it's worth, you know who had open discussions about social issues, and supported his players raising a fist to the national anthem this season?

Jim Harbaugh!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

what does that have to do with the post you quoted

If a top tier head coach gets behind the players' perspective, maybe that will influence other coaches to be better.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

KKKLIP ART posted:

lots and lots of shiplap

I hesitate to ask what this is.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
As someone who doesn't read SA outside of TFF, SAS, and some of the American politics, it's always sad to lose someone else out of the Big Ten West.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

pillsburysoldier posted:

Every board I post on is in an unsettling, dark, last-night-on-earth, glad-to-have-met-y'all mood

Hm

Hey, glad to have met y'all. Just in case.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Question I've been wondering for a bit. If Fulmer goes back to Tennessee and the team immediately starts being awful with violations again can we rename the Fulmer Cup to reflect Fulmer's deep commitment to athletes getting into trouble?

The upvote system isn't conducive to conversations. Each individual post will occasionally devolve into it's own series of discussions and sub discussions. The SA forum style is like a stream of consciousness which works surprisingly well to follow the flow of conversation.

I went and read through all the drama and whoo boy I'm sorry any of our admins got affected by it or had it convince them to bow out. Shame.
What happened? Where'd it happen?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Please welcome the Los Angeles County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl!

This is a phenomenal joke

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
That Kiffin video is amazing. Is he hungover?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Looks like he got some recruits to commit to the Owls.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
There are apparently a lot more MSU players about to get kicked off the team, for speculative reasons.

I am going to be so pissed if Dantonio leaves because of something this summer.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Three Michigan State players and a coach suspended, due to a Title IX sexual assault investigation.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Look at this rad cat

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The biggest thing pushing MSU and others is that they can get sued for not coming clean, so the magnitude is being felt everywhere. If anywhere has something to hide, it's now clearly best to just take care of it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Anals of History posted:

Yuuup: http://statenews.com/article/2017/02/john-t-madden-sexual-harassment

No further details yet, and no one else AFAIK has come out to say that Madden was a creepy, awkward dad with them, too.

One comment I read that made sense is that everything's popping now because of the impending lawsuits/trial with Nassar. All this stuff might get dug up in the process, and this is MSU trying to get out in front of it by appearing proactive and transparent.

More on Nassar: http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/12/21/larry-nassar-gymnastics-doctor-sexual-abuse-michigan-state/95724202/

If everything being said right now is true, Nassar really looks like our version of Sandusky. Assaults and rapes taking place under admin's notices, MSU ignoring complaints, MSU pushing women to declare themselves medically inactive if they didn't use Nassar, and MSU rounding up their own "independent" group of experts to somehow rubber-stamp pussy fingering as standard medical routine. Everything MSU did in the process looks shameful.

Look, all things considered, nothing is worse than Sandusky.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I warned a lot of younger people, especially girls, not to go to expensive West Michigan Christian colleges, and it worked on everyone but one girl. Things matter.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Look for rural fanbases. Lots more sovcit and Trump supporting fans for Michigan State, rather than Michigan, for example.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Henchman of Santa posted:

EL is not Ann Arbor, but it's not that rural either.

How about West Virginia?

There was a graph by zipcode of what places root for what teams. East Lansing isn't rural, but the rural and militia parts of Michigan picked MSU as their team.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Why are you so salty

Is it because you're preserving meat in salt because you live off the grid as a sovcit

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

KKKLIP ART posted:

Not football related but topical with other MSU stuff, but apparently they suspended a band director for sexually harassing a student and they also had their gymnastics coach "resign" after a lawsuit also about sexual assault.

"He also confirmed that it was Klages who told his client's mother that "Nassar’s digital penetrations of (the athlete's) vagina was a proven medical treatment.""

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I can't believe we're gonna have a more unlikable FBS independent than Notre Dame, huge news.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crotch Bat posted:

Jerry hated Catholics, too. He desperately wanted a game vs ND.

I hope he gets that game, and he gets embarrassed. And another against BYU too. And Michigan, obviously.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Some hope for the future.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo..._source=twitter

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crotch Bat posted:

Pretty much echoes all I said. This was a move of pure ego and they're going to get embarrassed and have to slink back down to FCS like a beaten dog.

I hope Michigan gets to play them, and puts up a triple-digit shutout.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/CoachJim4UM/status/832991339491033092

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Anals of History posted:

Based on the now-former MSU gymnastics coach was a woman who strongly defended these "medical things," I think you can swap "guy" with "one."

A "proven medical treatment".

Also, I visited Penn State this week, and so many things about the hero worship there make sense now.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

I eagerly await Michigan's impending national championship, because it's going to be so great to see a woke Jim Harbaugh making fun of Trump to Trump's face.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/CoachJim4UM/status/841085961429688320

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesHarbaughJr/status/841411044580945921

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crotch Bat posted:

Harbaugh seems like a decent enough guy deep down, it's just hidden under layers and layers of Asperger's that we see more often.

Jim Harbaugh is the most Jim Harbaugh he could be, at all times.

Also,

quote:

Politico: Have you met with President Trump at all since he became president?

Harbaugh: No, I have not.

Politico: Have you tried pinging Obama also?

Harbaugh: Have I talked to President Obama since the election? Yes, I have.

Politico: Was that about the LSC?

Harbaugh: It was about Michelle Obama's Reach Higher initiative.

Politico: What more do you plan to do as the budget process moves forward? Are you going to followup at all?

Harbaugh: Yeah…Making people aware of some of these issues is a start. I can hope and I can pray that some of these proposed reductions in funding and even worse elimination won't undercut our nation's civil legal assistance programs and it would threaten our fundamental American commitment of legal justice for all.

quote:

Politico: Is there a line you try to walk on political issues? There are other high profile coaches who have increasingly begun speaking out about politics.

Harbaugh: No, I wouldn't say that. I'm not saying this as a football coach, I'm saying this as an American. I'm for America first.

Politico: Well that's a Trump slogan right now—America First.

Harbaugh: I wasn't aware of that.

Politico: Yeah, he likes saying that.

Harbaugh: As [Madison] said in Federalist 51, ‘Justice is the end of government, the end of civil society. It ever has been [and] ever will be pursued until it be obtained or until liberty be lost in the pursuit.’

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

NickRoweFillea posted:

Where do they rank with athletic khakis that I can wear to teach/play golf in

Like most college football coaches, Jim Harbaugh has a weekly radio show where he breaks down last week's game and talks about the game coming up this Saturday. Now it's the off season for football, basketball, and hockey, I think we should have enough season Harbaugh radio show, or he takes questions like the one pose here. Would that be a great hour of radio every week? Absolutely!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
“Now that they’ve had a chance to reflect on Ferguson, one of the real culprits were the fines and fees they were putting on low-income Americans, [that] 48 states have been implementing on all of us, all Americans. For Colin, and what Colin’s doing and has been doing, when you really stop and listen and know where Colin is coming from … he’s trying to do this for his future kids, for my kids, for all of our kids. He’s a special person and a hero, in my opinion.”

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

I hope Pitt beats them again.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Dango Bango posted:

I don't remember this at all :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe