Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Cleveland won a pro sports championship.
The Chicago Cubs won the World Series.
Bama lost the national championship by the slimmest of margins.
Notre Dame went 4-8.
Donald Trump is about to become president.

Someone wished on a monkey's paw, didn't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Bip Roberts posted:

Tri tip sandwiches are the best.
Tri-tip is California's sad attempt to pretend it has its own barbecue culture.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Ungratek posted:

Can someone tl;dr the drama for me. I've been busy at work all day
Basically "Lowtax is back on the forums".

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
It's the college football version of "the Warriors blew a 3-1 lead in the Finals".

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Rice and Stanford will open next season in Australia.
I'm not sure why, though. Rice is going to get flattened (just like this year), and has a small fanbase that will neither draw a bunch of local alumni nor draw a bunch of traveling alumni. I guess Rice thinks they'll get a chance at name recognition for Australian students in the process of being flattened by a superior football team (and academic institution, for the most part)?

Also this was going to be a Rice home game, so that's one less opportunity for the MOB to make fun of the only other scatter-band school we're likely to play.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

KKKLIP ART posted:

yeah but wasn't there that one time their band owned TA&M by insulting Reveille being dead or something? Rice will always own after that.
The time that angry Aggie fans surrounded the MOB in Rice Stadium was after a show that featured a formation of a fire hydrant (and a joke about Reveille pissing) and goose-stepping. There were no dead dog jokes that year.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah but Reveille #whatever had died earlier that week or something right? And they were playing oh where or where has my little dog gone during the fire hydrant thing.
That show was in 1973; the Reveille at the time "reigned" from 1966 to 1975. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reveille_(dog)

Also :lol: if you think the MOB had a "locker room" (they were trapped in the tunnel leading into Rice Stadium). The MOB since its inception has been housed in the basement of the student center, the basement of the Central Kitchen (which stopped being the Central Kitchen but continued to be the band hall for some time before the university decided they wanted to use both spaces for something), a basketball court that they only had part-time use of, and only this year did they get an actual purpose-built space (renovated from the old football weight room).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Man, and I was all excited about Jaeger Bull.
https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/826479682400968704

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This would be great except the Falcons would go 4 and out and everyone in the stadium knew it
Yeah, even if the Falcons had gotten the ball, they'd have lost once the game got to OT.

I'd honestly rather have basketball-style overtimes where they play a full shortened period (10 minutes?) and forget the sudden death bullshit entirely, but I understand why that's not as feasible.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Crotch Bat posted:

Jerry hated Catholics, too. He desperately wanted a game vs ND.
I should hope that all of us can root for the giant meteor in a hypothetical ND vs. Liberty game.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Crotch Bat posted:

Yea but being embarrassed by a cop is worth another or two.
He didn't want to take a sack, so he ran away and took an even worse sack instead. He has a bright future with the 49ers.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Manoueverable posted:

Hi just in case everyone forgot John Ross loving owns and I really hope he does well in the NFL
Congratulations to John Ross for being drafted by the Oakland Raiders

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The logo is somehow the best part. "Yeah, it's my initials... but they're all Japanese looking and stuff."

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I am vaguely surprised that anyone else posted about this before I did.

The wordmark has that "this will look incredibly dated in ten years" feeling, and I don't understand why they're using both the script R (which is indeed rad) and that loving wordmark.

The new owl logos look good, though.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Pakled posted:

The only thing worse than having your stadium named by a corporate sponsor is for the corporate sponsor to be as unglamorous as Kroger
Honestly, I'm not sure if a corporate sponsor is that much worse than just naming it for a booster with really deep pockets. You're taking money for it either way, and it's probably easier to terminate a sponsorship contract than try to erase some horrible racist/rapist/pedophile booster's name.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

John Brown posted:

I can never say this enough: gently caress Penn State
I could almost have been okay with Penn State fans complaining about the NCAA's involvement (because the scandal was mostly unrelated to the football team). I am not okay with them continuing to venerate Joe Paterno, knowing what we know now.

gently caress Penn State forever.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

PostNouveau posted:

Live mascots are the only real way to judge a school's character.
Thus why Ohio University is the best university in the Midwest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=577hN8tQM6g

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Haven't read yet but a few weeks ago on his podcast he had an interesting take on relegation: use it only among the G5 to fill a sixth power conference.
This is sort of awkward because it means those schools have a harder time maintaining regional rivalries, and travel expenses will vary year to year based on who's promoted. If Hawaii gets out of the dumpster one year, suddenly the Consolation Prize Conference becomes a much less lucrative thing for G5 schools.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

iospace posted:

You do realize there is an entire subforum dedicated to cooking, right?

Also a chat thread in this one.
We're in the depths of the offseason, which means it's BBQ chat time.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Cougs vs. Cougs in 2019 and 2020 as Washington State plays Houston.
I'm hoping we get a wild back-and-forth OT game as both sides try to Coog/Coug It simultaneously.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Big Game Bob is about to become Big Game Hunter Bob.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Grittybeard posted:

Don't worry, that one ASU fan will be in any second to tell us all how dedicated Graham is to the university.
That's what every fanbase of a school he coached at said shortly before he left.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Pakled posted:

It stands in stark contrast to TCU which despite the name is effectively pretty secular.
Same with SMU. It turns out that Baptists are the least chill major Christian denomination.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Jon Bois is some kind of terrifying wizard.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

kayakyakr posted:

I nailed my best man speech. 1 minute, memorized and not spitballed, humor, moral, love, tears, toast.
I tried to demonstrate this principle at my sister's wedding (I was the man of honor because "well, [groom] gets to have his brother next to him, I want mine next to me"). 2 minutes, outlined and rehearsed but not scripted. Then the groom's brother made up for it by speaking for like 10 minutes.

Then there was a surprise flash mob because apparently in 2017 every wedding must have a flash mob.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Scarf posted:

Do we usually have a predictions thread, or do we just post them in here? I can't remember... Regardless, I think it's time for predictions.
Prediction: Rice is awful this year and gets dunked on so hard by Stanford in Sydney that no Australian will dare set foot on the Rice campus for a hundred years

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

blugu64 posted:

Australians not caring about American football will be more taken in by the cynical hijinks of the Rice Band which will lead to the destruction of Stanford as an institution of higher learning within 20 years.
:lol: You think the MOB has the budget to go to Australia. The MOB barely has the budget to go to one bus-trip-distance road game per season.

The MOB got a new band hall (the old football weight room, its first in its entire history which is not a basement or a basketball court) and I have no idea who convinced the university to spend money on it.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

augias posted:

This saturday Rice, the stanford of texas, is playing Stanford, the stanford of stanford, in New South Wales. Is that crazy I don't know really.
The only problem with this game is that it's going to be a goddamn massacre, and I say this as a Rice fan. It's like how the NFL always sends the Dolphins and Jaguars to London: not the best representation of the caliber of the sport.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Of course, having a game in Sydney means travel blogs.

Come for the football players taking over IAH, stay for philosophical discourse about Uno.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y89HPPfR2Ss&t=71s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

all-Rush mixtape posted:

The best/worst thing about being a fan of Texas State is that there is no smack talk.
We stole your coach 11 years ago. He kinda sucks. I'm not sure which team this reflects badly on.

• Locked thread