Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Game good. New features good. Thread title bad.

Like really, just make it something generic like Stellaris: Paradox in Spaaace, it'll be better than that old-rear end joke while we wait for someone to say something totally rad and wacky that makes for a good new title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I would cackle like a maniac if we suddenly got StarDrive's module grid ship designer in Stellaris, and then I would blissfully fiddle with my pseudo-Lego starships to the end of time while this thread melted down about it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

IMO it's pretty telling that arguments for unit designers never involve a remotely compelling argument about why/how they add to the game and instead end up being "more choice = better" and "everyone does them".

I'm not remotely surprised that it's not going to happen but these systems are a large part of why combat in space 4X games tends to be so bland.
Ship to ship combat is an integral part of space 4x games, and the feeling that those ships that I'm watching fight and die in a furball are MY ships that I made makes it a lot more compelling than if they were just some generic RTS units. It's also not just an optimization puzzle, because most of the time I don't really give a poo poo about everything being optimized. Sure, missiles are bad, whatever, but by god my Ker'Thuul class cruisers will have missiles in them because they are cool goddamnit.

It doesn't have to work in some sort of super synergistic way with the rest of the game, the ship designer is just a part a lot of people enjoy in and of itself. It doesn't really need any more arguments than that. (and what Wiz said)

Nordick fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 22, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Alright so it's been a while since I looked at Stellaris, and I see GlyphGryph has made the goon empire mod finally happen, so I'll just resubmit the ones I originally made. I have to say I love it how this idea I just offhandedly blurted out in the old thread picked up in such a way. :)

Was really hankering to play now that I finally bought the Leviathans DLC, but then I saw Utopia is only like five weeks away so I dunno I might just wait for that. Or maybe play a game with the smallest galaxy to tide me over.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 13, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Doctor Zero posted:

Was I supposed to read this in Cave Johnson's voice? Because I read it in Cave Johnson's voice.
That wasn't my intention, but now that you mention it, hey why not.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

GunnerJ posted:

The cool visual element is their giant laser beams tho? :shrug:
Point is, it would be a cooler visual element if that giant laser beam came out of a giant gun barrel in the nose of the ship, instead of a generic turret on top. That's what "spinal mount" means, a giant gun inside the ship sticking out of the front.

EDIT: Or, as mentioned a few posts above, in more extreme cases it's just that most of the ship IS the gun. Artillery cruisers in the online game Dreadnought being another example:

EDIT 2: \/ I'll have you know spaceship aesthetics is no joking matter :colbert:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 7, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Heartcatch posted:

I couldn't get into Dreadnought for some reason, it felt like Space World of Tanks with respawns to me.
That's pretty much what it amounts to, honestly. Especially since a big update a few months ago, in which they changed the progression system to be very similar to WoT/WoWS, to boot. It's a pretty cool game for what it is, but I don't really need yet another game with that same formula, so I lost interest pretty quickly.

Their visual ship design is hella cool though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I wanna start a new game but drawing a complete blank trying to come up with a new civ. Already adjusted my old ones for the new government system so could just pick one of those I guess, but ugh.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mister Adequate posted:

I had the same problem so I just hit Random and went with what I got!
That's absolutely a fine idea for some people, but I'm one of those dweebs who want to think up some background lore and poo poo, and too many of the portraits aren't really to my tastes, and and and basically I'm just way too goddamn picky for my own good.

Also random would run the risk of being pacifist which is lame and stupid

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
drat, I didn't realise from the dev diaries just how closely the Traditions feature apes Civ V civics. I'm not complaining mind you, it's a neat system.

The new faction system seems really cool too. So far I have three factions; One is pushing for better xeno relations, one is all for scientific advancement and the last one just wants me to make more money. Makes sense as I'm playing xenophile materialists. Gonna be interesting to try keep things balanced to not piss them off.

Also it's nice to see that a democracy with a mining station mandate leader is still good way to be swimming in influence.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
SPECIES SUBMISSION

Third try's the charm, I hope. :v: First was for the original pack before it fell through, second was probably just too late before Banks/Utopia came out and GlyphGryph had to redo the whole thing. Anyway, here goes.

Karnault Scionate - Your usual conquering warrior horde. Krogan Mongols, basically.

quote:

Karnault: A dusty rock in the middle of nowhere? Technically true, I suppose.

But Karnault is also our mother. And our mother is a blacksmith. We are both her children and her craft; her soil is both our cradle and our crucible. In the blazing heat of our sun Mordoon, on the anvil that is her mesas and plateaus, she has forged us. Hammered, tempered and nurtured us to make us ever tougher, ever stronger.

We Karn are our mother's singular masterpiece; the greatest weapon in the galaxy. You will not find a shield too sturdy for this weapon to split, no beast too mighty for it to slay. If you don't believe me now, you will when this weapon swats away your fleets and beats down the gates of your palace.
https://pastebin.com/KPRi0xvZ

Search of Corainn - The stereotypical curious and greedy crows in galactic civilization form. ("Search" is the collective noun for them, as in "murder of crows" or "pride of lions".)

quote:

For the Corainn, the word "curious" is vaguely synonymous with our "pious". They are not religious in the usual sense; They have no personified gods and do not concern themselves much with such vague concepts as "soul" or "divinity". Instead, they revere the concepts of exploration, discovery and learning, and find what we would equate with spiritual fulfillment in discovering concrete new things and ideas. A place they haven't been to, a story they haven't heard, a food they haven't tasted; All these things are, in a sense, divine to the Corainn.

Also they just really love shiny things.
https://pastebin.com/tqTDd5KG

Allied P'Zark Laboratories - If Cave Johnson was an actually competent scientist and also a total rear end in a top hat, he might be a P'Zark.

quote:

Describe the P'Zark society? Oh, for the love of....

Ok, look: Science. That's the P'Zark in a nutshell. We do science. We've been doing science for a long time and we're pretty good at it. And with good science comes good everything else. You let us do our science in peace, we're good. You get in the way of our science doing, we'll science you right in the face. With missiles. VERY SCIENTIFIC missiles. Science is very good for explosions, you see.
That descriptive enough? Well it better be, because we ain't got time for more, we've got more science to do. Now get out.
https://pastebin.com/vy8mnEZw

Rylcan Concordat - This time, the XENOS purge YOU.

quote:

Our ancestors were born from the muck of the ocean floor. From there, they set out to conquer the deep. Their enemies were terrible and many, but the ancestors battled until they alone remained in the bloodied waters. Then the Spirit of the Abyss urged them upwards, to the surface. The ancestors were aghast, but the spirit chided them, and prophesied: If the ancestors mastered ocean, land and air alike, one day their children would once again rise from the mud and dirt to find a new deep to conquer.

My brethren, the prophecy has come true. We have found the New Deep, and it is infinitely vast and terrible. Our destiny is clear:

We will honour our ancestors. We will conquer the deep.
https://pastebin.com/t5GbzFx5

MOD DEPENDENCIES:
Hail Columbia! American portraits: I think this is what adds the custom city appearance for the Rylca.
FlagBackground Plus: For the P'zark flag.
Cybrxkhan's namelists: All but the P'Zark use a namelist from this.

Reveilled posted:

Rather than a species, per se, I've got something slightly different. If it doesn't fit with the pack feel free to leave it out. According to the blurb of the Commonwealth of Man, humanity sent out six ark ships, of which the ark that formed the commonwealth was only one. What if the others survived?
I really liked these. :) Especially Sarah.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 9, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So as I couldn't afford to buy Utopia yet I'm just playing with the base Banks update. Eventhough the "chemical bliss" living standard apparently requires the DLC to use, I still have the rare tech for it taking up research option slots, which is... not a huge deal, but not really desireable either.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

GunnerJ posted:

QoL update named after Douglas Adams has interesting implications.
"Quality of Life? Don't talk to me about life."

I'm a little bit upset that Adams isn't a major update, but that's really just me being a fanboy.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Wiz posted:

We're trying to be a bit more thematic with the major update author picks, and I really don't know what kind of features would actually make sense there. Galactic highway planning?
Philosophical ascension by building a planetary supercomputer to figure out the ultimate answer, to life, the universe and everything. :pseudo:
But yeah I get your reasoning, I wasn't really being serious. :)

Aethernet posted:

Nebulas rendering some stars invisible until you're right on top of them. Races spawning there can't see out until they've got the first sensor tech.
And when they do get that tech they start a massive galactic war to purge everything.

Come to think of it, it could be cool to have some "primitives" be special in some way that would make them powerful way beyond their size, i.e. Krikkit, or humanity in Turtledove's Road Not Taken. Well, mabe not quite that strong, but anyways. Have them achieving space flight act as impromptu mid-game crises or something.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Preem Palver posted:

Are migration treaties a trap now? I'm about a century in, and my strong early start is now faltering because my population is emigrating from my empire at about the same rate that the population is growing. I've been struggling to even keep all my buildings running over the past few decades, much less continue to develop planets. I even had half a dozen pops emigrate to an empire that didn't exist by the time they left my planets, as it was conquered by its neighbor, but they still disappeared once their timer was up. All of my factions are happy, my average pop has a happiness of ~85%, and I'm a democracy with mostly egalitarian pops, but its just a never-ending stream of people leaving to go live on worlds with half the habitability under despotic regimes.

I'm definitely ending my remaining migration treaties once I jump back in and continue the game, but has anyone else had similar experiences with Banks/Utopia?
Yeah. It's not a huge problem for me, most of my pops still just move within the empire, but enough of them are moving out that I have an inactive building or two in most of my more established colonies. Nomadic trait: Not always a positive thing. :v:

I kinda feel like the migration controls in the species rights UI should have a "domestic migration only" option.

EDIT: That said I have had some incoming migrants too, thanks to the "Legal Aliens" edict.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 11, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Welp, the Prethoryn invaded and it was not impressive.

First the vanguard arrived and I noticed all the fleet names were like SCOURGE_NAME_VANGUARD or something to similar effect. I stomped one of the little vanguard fleets and then the second wave arrived immediately after. I beat up like four or five of the second wave fleets (about 38k apiece) with my one fleet, which dropped from ~35k to ~25k in the process as the corvettes and a handful of destroyers died. Cleaned one of the two planets they were trying to infest, while three of their infestors somehow wandered halfway across the galaxy and managed to die to a fortress of mine I had built on a whim.

At this point there was a fleet of 80k+ bombarding one of my colonies and the one remaining infested planet was behind several of their fleets, so I figured I better bring in some more ships before taking them on. So while waiting for the huge conga line of reinforcements to trickle in I was going to blow some of their constructors and infestors (who were just standing in place doing fuckall), but before I could even do that I suddenly got an event box informing me that the scourge had been defeated, and all of their fleets just winked out of existence. :effort: My total losses were 30 corvettes, 8 destroyers, a few mining/research stations and a single building that was destroyed in the bombardment. Like, I'm not even sure what happened, though I'm guessing that one of my neighbours managed to cleanse the other planet that was getting infested and that was it.

Then later a materialist FE awakened because they wanted to save the galaxy from the Scourge. Too bad I can't tell them they were like two years late. :downs:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I also enabled colonisation for my sectors as an experiment, and on one of their first colonies they built the capital right on top of a betharian stone deposit. :downs:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Another downside of the Nomadic trait: It makes having a more evenly multi-species empire more difficult. I start a new colony, and multiple pops around my territory will start migrating there, but as the main species is the only one with Nomadic they will migrate faster and fill up the colony before anyone else gets there. I actually have to enable migration controls for my main species to give the rest a chance to spread. I mean, even if I start the colony with another species, those rear end in a top hat birds will fill up the place before the first new pop even finishes growing.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is Chemical Bliss (the tech) entirely useless if I don't have Utopia?
The 1.5.1 hotfix notes said this was a bug/unintended. Supposedly it should be fixed now, though I'm guessing the fix might not apply to 1.5.0 saves?

EDIT: Unrelated, I managed to get over my "can't play pacifists" hangup. I just have to remind myself "Just because we're pacifists doesn't mean we can't be assholes." Fanatic authoritarian pacifist campaign ho!

EDIT 2: On the other hand I've just played for like 180 years without a single war so maybe I'll do this pacifist thing later afterall

Nordick fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 13, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Quoting this just to get your attention:

I don't know if you have PMs, but I sent you one regarding some changes I wanted to make to my empires included in the mod.

In case you don't, I guess it would just be a matter of posting the updated empire entries from my user_empire_designs.txt, right?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I also just found Earth, which was just in the middle of WW2. However, there was also an anomaly talking about how the surface was barren and cratered, and investigating it revealed a warning left by supposedly the last of the now-extinct people to not look for the superweapons they left behind after killing themselves.

Of course, I remorselessly exploited this oversight by grabbing the kinetic battery tech from the anomaly (this is at a point where I was still using tier 2 and 3 lasers and missiles) and then interrupted their pissant little war by conquering the place.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Covok posted:

I've been missing some fun by playing Humans from Earth then. Looks like aliens get to find our world and mess with it. Might do a playthrough as some aliens then so I can find Earth. Not sure if I'd peacefully integrate us or orbitally bombard Earth and forcefully enslave the populace. This is a whole new realm of fun.
Yeah there are a few different states you can find Earth in, either populated or not. It's cool.

I'm just gonna pretend that anomaly contradiction of mine was actually me swooping in just as humanity were about to kill themselves, taking away their bad toys and being like HEY PLAY NICE NOW. And then carting them off into the salt mines.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Anticheese posted:

What are the ways to cultivate a spiritualist movement in your empire?

Go conquer some spiritualist primitives

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah it's pretty incredible. It makes piracy in the early game really loving scary since ships take so long to construct, and every single one of your ships is valuable and important. On top of that the ships are far more customizable and the combination of hardpoints makes the various technology choices very meaningful. When a single destroyer costs more than a cruiser does in the vanilla game it really changes things (and for the better).
This sounds really drat good and definitely my jam, the problem is I can't bring myself to care about Star Trek. Here's hoping some other mod comes around that does the same to ships but without a specific universe setting (Or at least a setting I like).

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I had a xenophobe Fallen Empire awaken and start gobbling up the western parts of the galaxy. At one point I noticed their areas were receding a bit and it looked like the huge AI empire next to them was putting up a fight, so I figured I'd dickpunch the FE while they were occupied, wardecced them and started blowing up their stations and outposts. But when I actually started moving in transports to occupy their planets, they brought their fleets in to defend and I had to pull back because lol 160k fleet vs my ~90k.

Then while I was busy just staying out of their way trying to figure out what the gently caress to do, the Unbidden popped up to the south of them. I just hauled rear end through the FE's territory to try and slow the Unbidden down and luckily managed to pull some of the FE's fleets into them to help. Eventually I had to retreat, but fortunately the FE wisened up and sued for white peace so I could build back up in peace and go finish off the Unbidden before they grew too much. At some point a Xenophile FE in the south also awakened to fight them, but all I've seen them do is build a couple colonies. Then they declared war on the pacifist xenophile Otterman Empire and their likewise pacifist federation buddy, for some reason.

So currently the Unbidden have just been beaten by the most ruthless imperialistic conquerors in the galaxy (I'm playing FanMil/Authoritarian), the awakened xenophobe FE is expanding basically unopposed (until I build up enough forces, at least), and in the meanwhile the supposed "Galactic Peacekeepers" are just bullying around the only two empires who haven't done anything belligerent the entire game, the other of which is the only one apart from me who might conceivably put up any sort of notable resistance against the xenophobes at this point. :psyduck:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Baronjutter posted:

faction words
Just a note that there can be different factions bound to the same ethics.

For example, I currently have two xenophobe factions. One is the usual racial supremacy bunch who want to gently caress up the xenos and ensure the main species have all the rights. The other is promoting isolationism; they basically just want to stay out of everything, let the rest of the galaxy sink or swim.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah in my current game I've been expanding a lot and not specializing in unity in any way, just building a unity thing on most of my planets and I still have more traditions than I really need.

I think the whole tradition thing is a nice idea, but it might still need some tweaking. Like give each category more choices but make it harder to get everything. If I'm playing Fanatic Militarist conquering assholes, it feels stupid to pick traditions in the Diplomacy and Harmony trees just because I have nothing else left to pick.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Hey Paradox, just in case you're planning to do a music pack DLC for Stellaris like the Sabaton thing with HoIIV and EUIV, please make a deal with Keldian. Space metal, yo.

You can thank me for this brilliant idea later.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mister Adequate posted:

Rayjenkins what flag pack is that background from? I love it :eyepop: (Also nice krogans)

Rayjenkins posted:

It was the flag pack that was needed for the awful utopia mod. Phone posting right now so I can't look up the name, but check there.
Actually that's a different pack now. The flag pack requirement was due to one of my species, but the pack hadn't been updated in ages so I changed the flag to one from another pack, which is the one now listed in AU's requirements. But now the old pack has been updated too, so you can just get both without being pestered by the outdated mods error.

Namely, the pack Rayjenkins' flag is from is FlagBackground Plus. It's not included in the preview pictures but I just checked in-game with only this pack enabled and it's there.

Unrelated, this one is another v. good pack.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Rayjenkins posted:

Oh, thanks for the info. I didn't realize the flag pack for AU had changed. I should check and see if I'm subscribed to the new Flag pack, but the game hasn't complained about not having mods or having incomplete species.
Yeah it won't give any errors. If you don't have the flag pack used by some species then all it does is give the flag a solid black background, so it's not a huge deal in any case.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I bet they sound like this when they yell inside those helmets

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well yeah I mean imagine if that one yelling cockatoo was a hundred of them yelling at once. Or even just like a dozen or so.

I think parrots are cute and hilarious, but I do realise that's just because I don't have to deal with them personally.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stellaris - PYF annoying bird sounds

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TorakFade posted:

I am going to start a new game tomorrow, what are the current must-have (or very-cool-to-have anyway) mods for 1.5.1?
Just get Awful Utopia and you're set imo

I can also recommend:

-The Tiny Outliner and other Tiny *** mods for making a lot of the UI more convenient

-Ship Power Stations and Advanced Ship Behavior Modules for a bit more freedom and flavour in ship design

-Cybrxkhan's Assorted Namelists for more namelists than you could possibly ever want. It includes "Space Finnish" if you want some UnReal World vibes in your Stellaris. :v:

-More Events Mod because more event variety is good. I haven't noticed anything that would really stand out in a bad way by sounding amateurish or anything.

-Guilliman's Planet Modifiers seems really cool but I haven't played a game with it yet.

-Add whatever flag packs and other cosmetic chaff to taste.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Aethernet posted:

Also, and this may be sacrilege against the current meta, but I really don't find battleships to be that bad.
I have four different classes of battleships in my current fleet. :shepface:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Splicer posted:

I like having carrier ships loaded with space amoebas. It's probably poo poo tactically but hundreds of space amoebas > tactics on the fun scale
I don't have amoebas, because I haven't seen any all game. :saddowns: Come to think of it, I haven't really seen ANY space critters all game, apart from a single void cloud (which was nice, as cloud lightning seems to be pretty decent now. I did switch it to plasma once I started getting into more serious fights, but goddamn if cruisers that shoot lightning everywhere aren't cool.)

But yeah I have carrier BBs plus a class for each of the XL mount weapons. And of course those classes are all different from eachother in other ways too, because by Harry I'm Fanatic Militarist and I need to have ALL THE WEAPONS.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Soup du Journey posted:

bombers and arc emitters probably arent the worst combo ever, seeing as how they both bypass shields and either half or all armor
At the very least they absolutely ruin the Unbidden.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I know that's not your point but I would really like torpedoes with guns on them

They are called strike craft :v:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
You will pry my mining laser corvettes from my cold, dead hands.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The one on the left definitely has turrets on top of it so I'm gonna guess Titan sized warship.

No guess on the hula hoop thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I am going to mod the god ray to say WOLOLOO

• Locked thread