Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subyng
May 4, 2013
That strong new Zealand accent though...anyone else find it a bit hard on the ears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013

tooterfish posted:

Yeah, well...

Minor spoiler, but I just can't pass up the chance to be sarcastic here:
A certain Martian marine gets a shitload less hawkish once she gets a tour of the homeworld, and realises Mother Earth has no problems crushing her right the gently caress back.

Yeah when the Martian marines were being smug as gently caress I was just thinking "lol good luck invading Earth with your brittle rear end bones" but I guess that's why they have power armour.

Also I'm getting some major Ben Sisko vibes from the actor playing Fred Johnson.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Kesper North posted:

Yeah, they were also using the station itself as cover. The stealth ship was supposed to defend the station, it couldn't exactly defend it by shredding it in order to get to the Rocinante.

No I agree with mastershakeman. Yes they were using the station as cover, so why wasn't the stealth ship attempting to maneuver around it to get a clear shot? Maybe it was, but the way the scene was presented it seemed like the stealth ship wasn't really doing anything. Maybe waiting for the Roci to pop out of cover?

Rocksicles posted:

You don't know how ship to ship combat works. If you can't see them, you can't shoot them

Lol let's not pretend that any of us know how ship to ship combat works without rigidly defining a whole bunch of parameters (on that note, check out the game Children of a Dead Earth if you're curious about an actual space combat SIM). But strictly speaking you're still wrong because you can, for example, launch a missile that intercepts a target on the opposite side of a planetary body. But yes, the key point is that in this scene the Roci was using the station for cover, but the stealth ship still seemed a bit too complacent.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 5, 2017

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

You're imagining a very specific weapon to win your point. The missiles those ships fired at the Cant made a hell of a mess

A stealth ships main weapon is stealth, floating around looking to make a oval office out of itself is what it does.

I wasn't trying to win my point, I was just being pedantic :goonsay:

Subyng
May 4, 2013
It would make sense if they were moving tangent to the ring, then thrusted forward when they lined up with the docking port.

Edit: acgue the roci just needs to be stationary relative to the ring and thrust forward once the docks line up

Subyng fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 6, 2017

Subyng
May 4, 2013
What I meant is stationary relative to the ring's axis of rotation. Point the nose toward the centre of the ring, and when the docking ports are aligned, thrust forward. Of course as has been mentioned already this seems like an unnecessarily difficult way of docking.

Another possibility is that the arm that grabs the Roci can rotate independently of the ring so that while the ring rotates, the arm and the ship are stationary relative to each other, and once the arm grabs on, it matches the rotation of the ring.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 6, 2017

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Phanatic posted:

But then by the time you get to the docking port, the station's rotation has carried in spinward. You need to match the station's spin so that you're stationary relative to the point on the rim, and that takes constant maneuvering thrust; you literally have to match the rim's *acceleration*, not a position.

You thrust ahead of time so that you arrive there as the docking port becomes aligned. E.g if the dock is 90 degrees away, by the time it has reached 0 degrees you're already touching it.

Like imagine someone on a lazy Susan with their arm outstreched. You're standing right next to the edge with your arm out, and when your hands meet you clasp them together and you get pulled along

Subyng fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 6, 2017

Subyng
May 4, 2013

AirborneNinja posted:

That would cause a non-trivial amount of stress. Instead of the ships thrusters changing the ships velocity vector to match the stations its the docking clamps.

True, but it does match what we see with the sudden acceleration in the show. If the docking clamps have a flexible component like an accordion that might also dampen the sudden acceleration.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I thought it was going to be some kind of sentient nanotech, which in my opinion is much cooler. I'm hoping the aliens angle is just a red herring.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Does Mars have an authoritarian government? I'm getting kind of a Zeon from Gundam vibe from them.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Also in episode 1/2 they say that Phoebe was completely destroyed? How powerful are those nukes to destroy a moon and not only that, to deorbit it (they say the fragments spiraled into Saturn I think)

Subyng
May 4, 2013

404notfound posted:

I really hope they develop Bobbie more once they get to Ganymede. The rah-rah semper fi attitude that she wears on her sleeve is one-dimensional and getting stale, fast.

It's so cliché as to be cringey at times.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Space cut out the airlock sex scene despite having a nudity warning, but does not censor the word gently caress even though there was no warning about coarse language. :shrug:

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Well realistically they aren't going to be entirely homogeneous in personality.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
It's possible the dose of radiation they received wasn't actually that lethal. After all how would they know if they didn't measure it.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
The whole thing with Miller and the dead man's switch on the bomb seemed a bit contrived.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Tree Dude posted:

There's something about Avasarala's voice that bothers me. Not the sound of it... the cadence of her speech, maybe? I dunno. I'll see myself out.

Yeah, her delivery is a little off. Her accent sounds like a real Iranian accent.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

flosofl posted:

I don't think they were looking to push it on a straight line vector either, they're only looking to change it's vector to intercept the sun, not necessarily the speed. A hit from the Navou at a near 90 degree angle would transfer almost all of its angular momentum to Eros. I'm trusting that they did the math to figure out the velocity needed on the intercept to alter Eros's orbital trajectory.

In order to make Eros deorbit the sun you have to slow its speed relative to the sun to close to zero.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I didn't think he was assassinated, just that the setup looked like a bad murder on a CBS show. Shot out of nowhere, camera pans to show shadowy crew member run away from where the bullet originated. It was dumb.

I thought it was perfectly clear thatthe captain got killed from a penetrating round (if the sparks and crew dying didn't set it up enough, and also because it's already been established that that is what happens when a ship gets shot at) and the person behind him jerks suddenly as if getting shot, and doesn't at all look like running away.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 3, 2017

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Svaha posted:

E:This may be a stupid question, as my understanding of physics is super rusty. Just humor me for a sec.

I know that the show-runner has already said that they were using artistic license for dramatic effect, But wouldn't special relativistic time dilation come into play here? Especially considering that the speed Eros moved as The Navoo passed is considered to be mindbogglingly impossible under their understanding of physics?

The impossibleness was due to such a huge mass accelerating so quickly without any apparent means of propulsion, not the speed at which it moved. Afterall, the Roci was able to keep up with it, so it's doubtful they were moving at any appreciable fraction of the speed of light.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Phanatic posted:

I think you need to be a lot closer than that. I'm not going to actually do the math and work out the fluence, but in the testing during Project Orion they mounted graphite-covered steel spheres 30 *feet* from a nuclear explosion and they were intact, with only a thin layer of the graphite ablated. In my above post, I'm considering "near miss" to be virtually within direct contact. Agreed you definitely don't need to get the warhead inside the target ship.

Wouldn't it depends entirely on the yield of the nuke anyway? It's impossible to say for certain without hard numbers.

Anyway, so Jules Mao is missing and suddenly a protomolecule monster appears on Ganymede? Jules Mao is the protomonster, calling it now.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

ATP_Power posted:

But where's the ring?

Around Saturn. The protomolecule was found on Phoebe, a moon of Saturn.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

If you took away their blind hate and blame of inners and granted them full independence they'd be killing each other off in a matter of years.

Same, but for trump voters

Subyng
May 4, 2013

crazypeltast52 posted:

Under existing astronomy, Mars would have trouble keeping an earth-like atmosphere even if it had a magnetic field to keep the solar wind from blowing it away. Then again, if we have magic engines, we can magic something else up for Mars too.

http://askanastronomer.org/planets/2015/11/20/can-we-create-a-magnetic-field-for-mars/

I've read that although this is true, the time time it would take for solar winds to actually strip away the atmosphere would be measured in millions of years

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I felt like this was the weakest episode of the entire season so far. Like...nothing really happened.

But Weeping Somnambulist is an awesome name

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

There's no stealth in space, but there is in the expanse some how. Don't worry about it. In the expanse if you aren't doing a main engine burn you're pretty well hidden.

Yes but that doesn't mean you can instantly spot every object in the sky. One thing that really bugs me about Atomic Rocket's analysis of space stealth is that he only considers either perfect stealth or no stealth at all, with no grey area in between.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah, the part where he seemingly reverses his orbit with thrusters to avoid the Martian ships is really the only thing that bothered me.

Its not that he reversed his orbit. Both the roci and the Martian ship would be orbiting in the same direction, but relative to the Martian ship the roci is getting farther away, thus disappearing behind the horizon.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Phanatic posted:

What? No, it doesn't consider only that.

The difficulty of stealth in space is predicated on the fact that when things warm up, they radiate, and being able to scan the whole sky for that radiation is a fairly modest task, well within the capability of any entity that can actually engage in advanced interplanetary travel. It doesn't mean you can instantly spot every object in the sky, no, but it does mean you can scan the entire sky at a sufficiently-rapid rate to detect this radiation with sufficient rapidity to render most means of avoid detection pretty much impossible.

Avoiding detection doesn't mean you have to be impossible to detect, it just means that you have to avoid being detected for the amount of time in which you need to avoid being seen. That's the grey area I'm referring to that isn't really sufficiently acknowledged in my opinion. It implies that any stealth technology to which there is a means of detection is useless, which is obviously not true. It's like looking at a Where's Waldo book. There's nothing the artist can do to perfectly hide Waldo (short of not drawing him), yet he is still difficult to find.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Longbaugh01 posted:

Why would they necessarily be orbiting in the same direction? We don't know that for sure unless I missed something that confirmed that.

They would have to be in order for that scene to make physical sense. The Roci ducks back under the horizon using only its thrusters, so the relative velocity between the two ships couldn't be that large (ignoring the fact that it's already been mentioned that the entire sequence was very implausible)

Subyng fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 7, 2017

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Talorat posted:

How do you make it sticky only after you throw it?

You put some fins or feathers on one end like a shuttlecock so that it always flies in the same orientation. Then you put the sticky stuff on the front end.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Bubbacub posted:

Good point, I guess it's easier to let a non-threatening frigate slip through when you're facing down an entire fleet of enemy battleships.

I probably should have seen it coming, but Errinwright's betrayal was pretty :aaa:. They did a nice job of drawing out how humbled and vulnerable he pretended to be.

I dont think errinwright was pretending. From his point of view his life is basically over once it goes to the courts, so he doesn't exactly have anything to lose by betraying avasarala. This is basically his last ditch attempt at trying to salvage the situation.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
That was the first thing I thought when I saw amos too.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Longbaugh01 posted:

Face Blindness is a long-held tradition on Something Awful and continues to wreak havoc across its community.

If that were true than people would be saying that everybody looks like everybody else. Instead, multiple people are saying specifically that Amos and Tyrol look alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

See this is just a quick motion though. With a machine gun your actor has to just stand there and do zombie arms while pretending to shoot people and it looks boring and bad.

If you want to continue the Iron Man comparison, look at the drone fight in Iron Man 2. War Machine just stands there and waves his arms around.

Holding your arms out to shoot would not be functionally different than shooting a pistol with one hand, I think.

• Locked thread