Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

inthesto posted:

One thing about Fates in general that bothers me is just how incredibly good all the royal characters are. Ryoma is especially blatant about it, but they all just get good bases, good growths, and half of them also get absurdly good unique equipment. In my opinion, they cross over from "good and fun to use" to "good and boring to use".

I feel like the Nohr royals are better about this. Once we reach a certain map it will be easier to discuss this in more detail as we can actually compare the two families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

Subaki actually has his own complexes (which are revealed in some of his supports, like with Corrin). If I had to pick an Awakening unit to compare him to, it'd be Severa.

Which is quite suitable considering his support options.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We have much more fun in Mokushu in store for us.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Camel Pimp posted:

God, the whole "Oh no Takumi's been possessed- oh wait he's fine two seconds later" is so clunky and badly done. It gives the impression of "why is this even here?" Yes I'm aware it's foreshadowing, but it's not done any better then, either.

It was kind of well done if you are talking about what I think you are talking about.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The shining bow (a Nohr exclusive bow) allows bow users to attack at 1-2 range.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SC Bracer posted:

There's actually quite a bit of cool analysis you can do on Camilla's character if you take information we learn on both routes together, not that she's entirely guiltless of being a stunning piece of objectification. She is a much better written character than you'd imagine though especially after the way she's introduced here.

Also the supports. In fact the supports in general on the Nohr side are really strong.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Then again, I've soured on Awakening in general. A lot of the supports still make me laugh, but in retrospect it's a painfully sexist game in a lot of ways and most characters are one quirk or personality gimmick taken to absurd extremes. Cordelia, Sumia, and Olivia are not much better than Tharja.

Out of curiosity what makes the game painfully sexist?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ohmygorgon posted:

You're not wrong, but there were still gender exclusive classes playing to stereotypes, including a literal Bride class.

1. That was dlc.

2. The most powerful skill in the game comes from a female exclusive class.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
When we get to Conquest we will have plenty of time to worry about who is and isn't included.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FELD1 posted:

In Fates Bowbreaker is the level 15 skill for Sorcerer, not Bow Knight. Because...? I don't really know.

Bow Knights get Shurikenbreaker which is a much better skill.

The whole point is that the classes that get the breaker skills are those whose main weapon is already effective against.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To get the most out of the great club you want to be a berserker as with a bit of effort you can actually get a crit rate of 100%.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Her ability is worth talking about though. Savage blow is a really useful skill to have for feeding units as it deals either 10 or 20% to every enemy unit within two squares of the attacked unit.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0ML-Uh-1nk

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

Just like Morgan, Kana's gender is the opposite of the avatar's, so playing as guy-Corn gets you girl-Kana, the better one, and girl-Corn gets you boy-Kana.

Are there any good supports that highlight this?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, the Adventurer class is nothing like its cousin from Awakening, the Trickster class. Aside from swapping its primary weapon from swords to bows, Adventurer is more specced towards magic than strength...when there is only one magic-based bow in the entire game. So yeah, it's a class that wants to be a staff user rather than an offensive unit while having one of the best weapon types in the game. I don't even. :psyduck:

Sadly, we never get this interaction in Fates (fanart not made by me):

Or you use it with a character with good magic growths and just pummel anything stupid enough to get near you.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Leo is the classical middle child. Supports from the Nohr side will go into more detail about how it all works out but the term royal family describes the Nohr royals then royal siblings.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

Every single marriage is a dice roll. There is no bias.

Will this policy hold true across the lp?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I am more disappointed or impressed with how easy that level is.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The younger brothers are some of the best written characters in the game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also going back to the end of Garon. The impression I got is that he used to be at least a semi-decent person due to the way Xander turned out, but sometime before Corrin gets kidnapped the change occurs and he becomes a complete shitbag.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stephen9001 posted:

You've got a bunch of pictures that have the male rather than female avatar face there. Other than that, yeah, this is shaping up to be dumb. Faceless with poison strike though? Scary.

It gets much worse then just poison strike. The motto for Conquest might as well be check what skills the enemies have or else suffer horribly.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is a way to get a horse spirit in conquest naturally so don't worry about it.

Also in general I enjoy the Nohr royals and retainers as they are for the most part really good characters.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Elise having wyvern rider as her second class makes a lot of sense plotwise.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There are enough good characters that we should drop Mozu so that we can use them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

On this map I could never get by with the frontal assault strategy. The units guarding the entrance would refuse to be baited out unless they could definitely kill someone. I had to blast my way in through the side, and Azura using the dragon vein and getting the brass naginata herself was very useful.

I tried the frontal assault once and after it failed miserably I stuck to the side as well.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is also one of the best maps in the game.

Edit: Seeing that the tactical screen does already have some of the information I want to talk about I will add a bit more unless Tae wants it gone. The map encourages you to push out with optional objectives and while it does put more risk at the start of the map, it also means that there is less pressure on your position towards the end.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 25, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you turtle up too soon you will just be hit by too many enemies at once and something will break. Most successful strategies generally involve trying to thin the enemy lines so that when the dragon vane is used you can more or less safely pull back and defend the rear.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CptWedgie posted:

You can actually legitimately get Point Blank on your units in this game, though it's a bit of a pain to accomplish. Specifically, it's the reward for clearing the last Heirs of Fate DLC map. Yes, you can get as many as you need.

Anyway, why the hell are there so many Nohrian skills on the Hoshido guys? I mean, Hinata has Armored Blow from Great Knight (Darting Blow is more forgivable, since that's at least a Hoshido skill), while Takumi has Wary Fighter from General plus a skill you can't get without paying real money for it! Of the three, Oboro is the only one who actually has a plausible skill set that does not involve skill importing or Avatar influence (IF you ignore the fact that she's a tier 1 unit using a skill from a tier 2 class)... and I'm not even gonna start on the GENERICS.

Because the skills given to enemy units in Conquest is about making them a challenge.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just snipe at him from afar and neither counter will activate.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CptWedgie posted:

I can give a valid explanation for this, which also explains why she doesn't completely overwhelm everything on both sides: Camilla promoted at level 10 or 15 or something, so she isn't THAT much higher level than your other units. (I've been thinking this is why her stats are only slightly higher than Beruka's, but didn't post it until it was confirmed.)

Well, this is actually a pretty good support. Despite how much I dislike Camilla from what I've seen (which, admittedly, does not include her supports). I mean, I still feel she's creepy, overly sexualized, and too murderous for my tastes (basically: a typical yandere), but this at least shows that there's something UNDER that.

Overall Camila's supports do a good job of building her up as a character and explain why she is messed up.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Destroying all the pots would have been the better move. Overall it averages out to the enemies coming at you being weakened and while riskier allows you to grab all the chests before wrapping up the map.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BrightWing posted:

Laslow to Ninja cause ninjas are cool and good.
and
Selena to Sky Knight

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A few things I never get about Fates.

1. That despite initiating the war, for the most part Hoshido is the one constantly invading Nohr.
2. How are all the siblings besides Sakura able to go run off to mess with stuff outside their country when they have lost their leader.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The real joy of Charlotte is getting her near weak female healers and watching her do over 200 damage with an almost guaranteed critical hit. There is something hilarious about imagining Charlotte pretending to be dainty as she stands over an enemy who she has literally made explode

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Kaden?

Yet it's still more than all the girls got. :yum:

I wouldn't object to Camilla becoming even more terrifying of a unit.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Lets put this another way. We would not be voting on anything if this was Lunatic Conquest.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This map kicked my rear end repeatedly.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We have yet to see the proper recipient for the female dlc class so hold off on that for now.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

good old charlotte. 1 res at promotion, but 28 strength and 24 speed!

The whole point of Charlotte is that anything stupid enough to get near her is turned into a bloody stain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To be fair to Arthur, he is probably one of the few fathers who has a valid reason to want his son as far away from his as possible.

• Locked thread