Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

Portable handhelds are for middleschoolers who will never amount to anything in life imo you don't need to have access to brain rotting entertainment 24 hours a day and on the go

I have zero need for a portable gaming device because I'm never "on the go" - I drive to work and back then sit on my couch, where in that packed schedule do I need portable gaming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

itry posted:

Depends, what's your opinion on pooping at work?

Pro-Work Pooping crowd, for the record.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

But then when would I check Twitter?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I quit Nier Automata after my first playthrough when I found out that your reward is to do the whole same thing again except as a different weaker character with a few changed lines of dialog, and that people say you didn't actually play the game really if you don't do that loop like 4 times. Then I spoiled the story for myself and it turns out it's all extremely predictable and the things I assumed in the first 30 minutes of the game were true, like all of the humans being long dead and the war being pointless and it's basically a retelling of I Am Legend

Yup. I got maybe two hours into the second playthrough when I realized that the game was for chumps and promptly deleted it.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Souls games are the most tedious, joyless, stockholm-syndrome pieces of garbage ever to worm their way into some kind of perverse popularity.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Counterpoint: I've played Elden Ring and it owns

Realtalk yeah I'm going to give it a chance and if I hate it it's just another thing I can beat myself up about because I should have known better.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

This better not awaken something in me.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Apparently everyone loves the parkour in Dying Light 2. It's really solidified my feeling that I hate parkour/platforming in first person. I can jump around with Nathan Drake or Lara Croft all day, but put this poo poo in first person, and it just doesn't work for me.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Got a chance to play Elden Ring this weekend at sunk almost five hours into it, I doubt I will play much more. I really don't know what people see in this game, it looks like poo poo, combat is slow and clunky, the whole vibe is dour and depressing, and it feels totally pointless. Oh, go just wander aimlessly and maybe find a cave with some weirdos in it. Pick up a bunch of random poo poo you may someday have a use for. Take frequent breaks to google stuff the game doesn't explain. Feels very much like a low budget niche game from yesteryear. No thanks.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

Popular thing is good actually

That's literally against the spirit of this thread. It's for us one out of ten dentists that don't recommend Colgate.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah and then you go attempt to fight that guy and you get your dick smashed. it's a nonlinear game, you're supposed to find some way to get stronger .

Yeah I followed where the game points you and very soon came to a point I clearly wasn't ready for. Cue a couple hours wandering around, farming trash mobs to level up, getting killed by random high powered enemies. Compelling stuff.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Never pirated a thing in my life. Not out of moral character, the truth is I have always been really just too lazy to find out how to do it safely and successfully. And I've always managed to have the cash to get what I wanted, that helps.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I'm not a Souls fan. At all. But I'm now an Elden Ring fan. I'm still not going to have any interest in another standard Souls game, but ER2 yes please. The open world/freedom of choice makes all the difference.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Any jackass that says Elden Ring should be played any particular way should be treated like someone playing Doom saying the only real way to play is using only the starter pistol. Like, sorry you refuse to acknowledge that this is the game the developers made, on purpose. No, they never intended you to use Moonveil or Rivers of Blood or Mimic! You love From on one hand but on the other say they are dummos that can't balance their own game. Sorry I'm picking up the BFG they purposefully put in this game and using it, shut the gently caress up.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

styls trill epic posted:

I wish I got to play the style where the sound design was more than a one minute loop of "creepy" violin, my little tarnished guys feet didn't clip through the one dimensional washed out grass, and there wasn't a two minute load screen between deaths.

This is the criticism of a sad, sad man.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

just dont die op then you dont have to worry about the load screen

Or maybe play the game on anything other than a potato.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Mescal posted:

lol i'm a scrub and i'm doing fine with elden ring

Yup. In my experience you have to treat it like an old JRPG where you're expected to grind up levels on side stuff between story bosses.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

styls trill epic posted:

wasn't a two minute load screen between deaths.

Oh and special for you I just tested this on PS5, time from when YOU DIED disappears from screen to respawn, ten seconds.

Owned Snipe.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Over time, Dark Souls has become better regarded.
Over time, Elden Ring will become less well regarded.

Disgree with this, as I am not a Dark Souls fan, ER is a massive evolution of the formula that frankly shows how lovely Souls games have been all along, and fixes most of the issues.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I played a few hours of FFVII back in the day because I gave into the hype. Found it tedious and dumb. FF and JRPGS in general are just not my thing.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Yeah Tiny Tina's is fun. My only complaints are, there isn't as much weapon variety as B3, and once you get into Chaos mode at endgame the bosses become massive bullet sponges. The characters and chatter are all mostly better and less cringe inducing than B3, though I've always enjoyed Tiny Tina so that does color my opinion.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Don't give a poo poo about SF6. I cared about Street Fighter 2 in like, 1992 when we'd gather around the SNES. My interest in the genre has dwindled through the years to absolute nothing, it kinda trips me out that people still play fighting games in tyool 2022.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Unpopular Vidjagame Opinion: I am sick to death of reading one more deadbrain post about Disco Elysium. Every time I read anything about this game I am that much more determined to never play it. OMG you can read so much text in this game with its trash-filter art style and edgy nihilistic protag! The whole fandom around this thing is maximum cringe, I don't need to personally handle the hot rock out of this pretentious fartsniffing hotzone to know I should stay far away from this particular existential sickness.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Devils Affricate posted:

You think you're being smart

No I'm drunkposting and just pooping out a hatepost for this game which I'm sure I will be told is WRONG because you read this game and it's so SMART and STUFF.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Serephina posted:

Thank you for making me read Yet Another Post about that game. Gratitude.

Yeah I've become part of the problem. So it goes. Well this is just my little moment to say I hate this loving game I've never played, by Monday this will all be forgotten.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

i also hardly ever hear about it anymore

We are clearly not following the same threads my dude.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

SCheeseman posted:

You would probably enjoy the game

That's the worst part, my deepest fear.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

SCheeseman posted:

Avoiding something because of a dislike of the most obnoxious parts of it's audience is something I'll never understand. Is it out of fear that you'll become one of them or some kind of guilt by association? How thin skinned do you have to be to let the feelings of a bunch of internet dumbasses dictate what you do with your time?

Well it's more than that I read some reviews and poo poo and realized this was a game I would probably regret buying by hour two. But years later goons still talking about this garbage.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

this is weird as hell

who gives a poo poo what internet people think

Yes Caesar, you have never read threads on this dead comedy forum and cared enough to talk about it. Goons blast poo poo opinions and you let it flow through you, never touching you. Kudos Caesar-Sensai I can only hope to learn from your example.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

its spelled sensei you fuckin IDIOT

Weeb Edgelord falls right into my trap.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the protagonist of disco elysium is many things, including a communist, fascist, centrist, libertarian and liberal all at once, but explicitly not a nihilist

(though his ancient reptilian brain and limbic system might be)

Thanks for the info, though by revealing such knowledge you out yourself as a self-sucking player of this garbage-lord clown circus game.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Smik posted:

Then I played it for two hours. I found it contrived, condescending and pretentious and wanted to stab it, but instead I just uninstalled it and did my best to forget about it.

Here is a man of the world, listen to his pronouncements. That you may aspire some day to such hard-won wisdom!

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Heck I just dropped 20 bucks on Fortnite the other day so I could run around as a goofy looking fishman, among a few other things. I only debated the purchase for a moment, thought about how I had spent that exact amount out at lunch that day and that was twenty bucks I was going to poo poo out and would be gone forever, and by comparison a Fishman and WWII bomber glider would be around for years. Pretty easy call to make for a filthy capitalist shithead like myself!

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

If you've spent a single cent on a game when you haven't secured your fiscal future through long term investments then you need to take a serious look into the mirror and ask yourself why you think you can justify throwing away your future for such paltry and temporary pleasures

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Turns out my future is a paltry and temporary pleasure as well, so it all evens out.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Elentor posted:

After Cataclysm every zone is shoving you with events, huge chasms boiling with fire, zone-wide announcements and jokes and references that aged like poo poo.

Yeah, I liked all the Cataclysm changes at first because, oooh new stuff, look what they did here and here, etc. But after the novelty wore off it's clear that most of the changes were not for the better.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

Don't really need more box-carrying gameplay.

Yeah I'm hoping there are some new base gameplay mechanics. I don't think I'd be down to traipse around with stacks of boxes again.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

precision posted:

i don't realy remember shooting anybody in deus ex

i mean like one time there was an Agent Smith i had to get around i think and i shot a rocket launcher at him

i think i remember using a sword a bit? or maybe that was in Deus 3X :shrug:

anyway i only played Deus Ex once literaly like 21 years ago and i still remember it fondly so im gonna go out on a limb and say it might have been a pretty okay video jame

Yeah same, I barely remember the game but I recall enjoying it. Probably a lot of old games in that category.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I was too old for the HP book craze, honestly I think the first time I ever heard of it was when the first movie came out. The kids never got into it either they were too young and the movies were kinda overlong and exhausting and bored them so I don't think I ever watched beyond the third movie. Anyway I'm a sucker for open world games so I'll probably grab it even though the license does nothing for me.

Here's another unpopular opinion, I recently picked up Gotham Knights and it's actually a pretty fun game.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

I also think a ton of the outraged mob here on SA have been secretly playing the game.

I just assumed 90% of the pearl clutchers were posting ironically to stir up poo poo and didn't really care one way or the other, as per SA tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

satanic splash-back posted:

Play all games inebriated for the first time so when you replay them you don't really remember most of it

I thought this was my own secret technique, well now it's out there I guess.