Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

fridge corn posted:

Have you played bloodborne my man

Yeah, I massively enjoy the soulsborne stuff. They even go a step further and gently caress with gaming conventions. Which is also loving fantastic. But there is almost a From convention building up now. Be interesting to see where they go with that ninja game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

signalnoise posted:

Walking forward super determined with a hand at your waist, usually holding a weapon, the best of poses

Yeah, what's super lovely about this, is that the designer would have offered a ton of different ideas, and the head honchos decided on this one, every time. Like there's undoubtedly so much actual good poo poo out there on the cutting room floor.

I feel like of these the little L shape of Dark Souls, Prey and Battlefield are the most forgivable. Prey is actually conveying something other than "I'm such a badass, I'm here to get poo poo DONE" and actually the slender frame and glowing face has a kind of 'sinister purpose' to it, which befits the game. Battlefield is about soldiers, and that "I ain't happy to be here but I'm gonna get this poo poo done" vibe is actually what soldiers are about. The style actually suggests the setting and gameplay better than another take would. Likewise Darksouls is pretty much exclusively about going "gently caress it, I'm likely gonna die, but I'm going in", and the art is of the dude going forward, ploughing on with gritty resolve. The rest of them are just shorthand for "This guy is awesome, enjoy the power fantasy".

!Klams fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 7, 2018

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

signalnoise posted:

My favorite comparison is Deus Ex to Assassin's Creed. At this point it's not just similar poses, it's the exact same posture.

Lol, for a while I was looking at the two, and was like, "yeah, I mean in the one his head is sorta looking down and it's slightly later in the stride, but God that is actually the same picture" and then I realised for some reason I was comparing asscreed and Devil May Cry.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

sebmojo posted:

Fallout 3 nailed lockpicking. The hacking was good too.

I actually like most mini games though, even planet scanning in me2 so my brain might be a bit broken idk

I totally agree, Fallout 3's stuff was simple enough that it didn't feel obtrusive and was actually fun. I especially liked finding the 'secret' bits in the hacking, not that it was hard at all, it just felt oddly satisfying.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Sunless Sea is too hard. Not because it's slow, or random, or roguelike, all of that stuff I get on with. What killed it for me, was finally getting 2000 echoes together for a new boat, and I get it, and it's a pile of poo poo trap. Like all the engine upgrades. I think it's one thing to have difficult decisions, but entirely another to JUST punish you to the tune of what amounts to about 8 hours of gameplay for trying out a better ship?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
We can argue about controllers until the cows come home, but the undisputed king of memory card was the dreamcast.

So as to be a controversial opinion, I think that was the best gimmick on any console and that they should all do that.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Irish comedian Dara O'briain does a bit on how computer games are the only media that gate content based on ability, like if Lord of the Flies went "to unlock the fifth chapter, describe the main themes of the novel and explain the significance of the conch". I really strongly agree, and think a lot of games mistake difficulty for content and / or quality. It's mostly an anachronism, a holdover from arcade games trying to milk you for quarters, and then simple early games artificially lengthening themselves.

I think the ballet of Arkham City's combat is rewarding in a way that say, uncharted's isn't. With uncharted, really I just want to see the combat play out like an action film, with me in control, to take me to the next set piece. I can see how I'm supposed to do it, and how that would play out, but randomly having to restart an acton sequence because of an errant grenade I missed isn't in any way more fun. It's just 'how video games work' so there it is. The rest of the game is about going along for the ride, like a movie, but a movie where sometimes the action sequences involving guns (and only those ones) go wrong and have to start again...?

Dark Souls is specifically about 'gitting gud' and mastering your play, and is 100% fair, but extremely punishing. Once you learn to defeat an enemy though, you will always beat that enemy, and you always know what mistake you made that lead to your death. Dying has a specific mechanic (running back to recover souls, losing humanity) tied to it that forces you to master the environment. Whether you like it or not, or think it's good or not, (or difficult or not) it's hopefully clear that the difficulty is actually part of the story, of the theme and necessary to the game. Contrast to God of War.

In God of war, you are literally a God of combat (obviously) and the fun is going ham and smashing folks to ribbons in style. Dying is undesirable solely because of a load screen. Like uncharted, if you die, you know you'll be able to get it eventually just mashing your way through. The only real penalty is to your time.

I'm not saying games are too hard, but that there MUST be more fun ways for most games to handle failure? Like, if bosses in GoW recovered all their health to full if they hit you enough, that would be functionally identical*, only there wouldn't be a load screen, and eventually you'd build up the "go HAM" meter that lets you almost auto win. If instead of my health bar going red in an uncharted game it went into bullet time, that would just look cooler. Like maybe those aren't ideal solves, but I just really don't think EVERY game benefits from allowing you to fail indefinitely by design.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 17, 2018

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

FoolyCharged posted:

Its kind of depressing that they took a series I really loved and in one swift motion botched it so bad that I don't even have interest in picking the third one up at this point.

e:

They tried that when they attempted to reboot the prince of persia series and people hated it.

I thought the prince of Persia reboot games were hugely successful though? (There was even a movie?) And they also had the Mechanic of rewinding time to avoid your death, which is exactly the kind of thing I'm taking about? Like, I'm fully aware that my solutions aren't good ones, but surely some good game designers can think of some?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Chomp8645 posted:

Wow can't believe that the only popular form of media which requires input from the user, might sometimes test the input from the user. Really weird how the other forms, which literally cannot be acted upon by the user in anyway, don't test the users ability??? Mind blown, makes u think...

It's not that they sometimes do though, it's that sometimes they don't. Sometimes, very rarely, you get to see all the content independent of skill. And, again, I'm not complaining about the amount of skill required, I'm enough of a nerd that instead of muscle mass I have hay fever and great APM, but that it is the de facto model, despite not really being the most fun a lot of the time isn't great. That designers will either make concessions to norms instead of doing something more fun, or just by virtue of being lazy do the same is, to me, a shame.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Verisimilidude posted:

Thumper is the greatest rhythm game ever made

There is no loving way at all that this could be considered a controversial opinion, SURELY? thumper is so good

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It’s incredibly wrong if you know Guitar Hero and Rock Band exist

Well, I think if you're playing either of those solo, no contest thumper is WAY better.

If you're playing in a group, rock band is much better than guitar hero, but always annoyed me because why weren't we just playing real instruments?

I must admit I hadn't really grouped them in, because they're local multiplayer, which is basically it's own genre nowadays.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think the problem with HL2, and WAY moreso Portal 2, was how much research they did into player experience. Like, they did an absolute poo poo ton of testing and iterating, so that they knew that like, 80% of players go into a room and look directly up for some reason, so they put a thing on the ceiling. Or, 67% of players tried to turn left here, so they moved the exit from the right to the left.

It has the effect of everything being super polished, but also of telegraphing EVERY single puzzle super clearly. Like it's all well and good developing such a strong visual language that I play your game as you intended, and get all the cool set pieces curated to me in a way that feels organic. That's good. But by portal 2 it was so polished, I would literally walk into any room and go "oh I see, that's clever" then click through it. There was exactly one puzzle I didn't immediately get, where I had to take a second look around. It's not because I'm clever, it's because they taught me a language and then asked me to read it and I could.

At least in HL2 there were still some bits that were... I dunno, for want of a better word, weird? Like, in Prey, when you first get the glue gun, you can use it to scale the wall to reach the level above, and it feels like you're breaking the game. Of course they've accounted for it, but there's no obvious place to do it. In valve world, there would be one wall with graffiti going up it diagonally, and at the top of the wall just where the graffiti ends would be a hole in the ceiling, with high contrasting distress marks around the hole. Nestling on the precipice would be a desirable power up. This wall would be a dead end down a corridor.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 18, 2018

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Sodomy Hussein posted:

You say you hate this, but obtuse mechanics, confusing mechanics, or things you can't really learn without a wiki are all far more garbage.

SMDH at people ITT complaining that Valve level design is objectively good

Nah, I really like obtuse stuff. Stuff you can't learn without a wiki might be pushing it, but it might not. I mean I appreciate though this is an incorrect, as well as unpopular opinion. But, to me, novelty is ten billion times more important than anything else, because I've seen the "well scripted well designed" before. What's the point? Its like how every tv episode had to subtly catch you up by having an outside character ask what's going on or whatever. Like, "oh the big block that literally all I can do with it is slide it about has to be in the right place does it? Do I slide it over here away from the new area I've unlocked but can't get past? Oh, no, I can't because there's a boundary that prevents this, thank God! I might have tried anything else at all ever otherwise". Nah. gently caress off. Give me zero context clues and make it slide around like that, but I have to generate enough friction sliding it to ignite it. Something. Anything other than the typical.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

signalnoise posted:

Sure but you'd still want that poo poo in more than one place. If you can burn stuff using friction then the fact that that is possible in that game should be made known to the player.

Out of all the puzzles in all adventure games I've played, the only one that really sticks out in my mind as a real gently caress you because of this was in Myst. There's a 3 number combination that you have to solve using 2 levers, and each one spins an outer number and also the middle number. This puzzle is impossible to solve if you don't know the trick to it, and it's ridiculously easy if you do know the trick to it. The trick is that if you click and hold a lever, it spins the middle number an additional time. Thing is, this game came out in 1993, and at that time the idea of clicking and holding for an input was hosed up because that was only used for selecting multiple things by clicking and dragging to create a selection box. The puzzle also did not do anything to suggest this to the player, and was presented as a mathematical problem.

Hotel Dusk had a similar puzzle that required the player to assemble a jigsaw puzzle, but there was no obvious input to flip the assembled puzzle over to see the back of it, where you'd find a message. That game was on the Nintendo DS though, and the solution for it was to close the DS and open it back up, which also transfers the puzzle from one screen to the other. There is at least the context of playing the game on a clamshell device, and there is a clue about what the solution to the puzzle should be in that you know there is some writing on the back of the puzzle piece you found.

Having the player think creatively to solve puzzles is cool. Thinking outside the box feels good. Setting up puzzles that require specific actions that are in no way suggested to the player through any context is dumb as gently caress.

I mean, I specifically remember liking that lever puzzle in Myst, because the solution was a gimmick. I've never heard of Hotel Dusk, but I would probably have enjoyed that too. Like I said in my previous post though, this opinion is incorrect. I appreciate that being stumped by something that doesn't seem to be playing by the rules feels unfair, or that if a solution is arbitrary it isn't as much to do with skill as dumb luck. My sentiment though is that I like things that feel unfair much much more than things that are so familiar as to be rote. Actually I like things that are unfair a great deal. I played 'I wanna be the guy' quite a lot. (Yeah, that's cheating / doesn't lend itself to my point, but y'know.)

I'm kind of the same with movies. I'd much much much rather a film show me a new idea than it be well acted, written or directed. The shot in Dune where Feyd crushes an animal in a little transparent box and drinks its blood is BETTER in my opinion, than the entirety of 'The Wife'. Like, I haven't seen 'The Wife', just a trailer for it, and I know how it ends, because there's no other way that a critically acclaimed version of that movie would ever end. Because of how it ends, I know how the rest of it plays out too. There wouldn't be a moment in that movie where I'm presented with a 'new' idea. And yet, I can appreciate that 'The Wife' is obviously a brilliant movie.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I thought gone home was really good? It was totally it's own genre, completely independent of other walking games, because it was a "find the hidden narrative" game. I suppose you could call it a detective game, but with no framework built in to support a detective game, I think it's it's own thing. There isn't any way to talk about it without sounding all the way up my own rear end, but, whatever. If you're not aware, you haven't "completed" it until you read further into it and realise the game isn't about the kids. There's more to the story than what's spoon fed, and I thought it was really well done.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You have to listen to the notes he isn't playing

Yeah, I mean, to be clear, I'm not saying "In my opinion, on a deeper read, the allegory is strong" I mean there's a clear cut secret story there with all clues and poo poo and its well done and kind of harrowing.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Shibawanko posted:

Discworld 1 was the best point and click adventure game

Uhm, I mean, I really liked Discworld, and often hum some of the music from it to this day, but, ehh... it really wasn't. Even the Neverhood Chronicles was better, tbh.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

hackbunny posted:

did you figure out that the reason dad is obsessed with the jfk assassination, and all his novels have the protagonist traveling back in time to that day, is that the crazy uncle did something to him on that day, when he was a kid? I didn't, I had to read it somewhere. I knew the timeline was important but I never realized how it lined up

Yeah, this is exactly what I was referring to, and why I thought it was actually a pretty good game. It doesn't flag that particular story in the way that games normally would, but, because the entire thing is about reading deeper into the families past, it kind of concreted the idea that the vague snippets and odd threads about the Dad and the house would actually have a discernable backstory. Like you don't lovingly craft that much plot about the daughter without also coming up with stuff for the rest of the house, y'know? It probably helped a lot that the main arc resonated with me and I was keen on staying with the game for a bit anyway. There's a bit in the basement with a height chart (that stops at the age the dad would have been) and an old discarded child's toy, that I saw on first blush and didn't think much of that is just crushing when you return to it.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 26, 2018

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I've been trash talking it a bunch in this thread, but I've finally come round to God of war '18. It's only really because I've finally come to accept it as it's own thing and not God of war, but a lot of it is just that it does story in slightly more interesting ways than normal. Like, obviously the boy constantly being there, but then later various other "characters" join you, and they're all handled well. What's impressive, is that they're all handled well despite Kratos staying true to form as the most po faced angst driven rage goblin. Kratos cursing the stars for all their empty promises works as he murders Gods to avenge his dead wife in the previous games, but is positively hilarious in this one, while he's rowing a little boat with a young boy and a chipper talking head.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

food court bailiff posted:

Dark Souls' setting worked well for me because the big interconnectedness of it and weird NPCs made it feel like a modern Zelda 1. Coming from Demon's Souls and its levels it was really cool.

It was specifically designed to be like Zelda actually. Miyazaki said he used to play western games like Zelda as a kid in English, and he didn't speak English, so had to piece together what was going on, and wanted to emulate that sensation in his game.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

My Linux Rig posted:

they’re all variations on the same fight with the same weapons

it’s literally either laser weapons or rockets, and the only thing that changes on each ship is how many of these it has and how many hits it can take

and the game drags on through a million of these

Lol, you never even finished the game on easy.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

FoolyCharged posted:

Most shooters on consoles have an auto aim built in that will cause you to track your target if you aim in their general direction. I recently decided to pull timesplitters out for nostalgia's sake and it's really noticeable once you're aware of it.

I dunno about timesplitters because that was forever ago, but these days it's not so much that it tracks your target, as much as when you're over a target its like, 'rough', it's harder to mover the cursor, and then its smoother when you're off a target. So, in this way its like, you have to aim, but then it's easier to stay on the target

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

CrRoMa posted:

People who play hours and hours of PUBG or counterstrike must be a bit unhinged. I play videogames to run around strange places, see unusual things, cast magic spells and just have fun. Playing videogames to exclusively shoot other human targets is lame as gently caress.

I totally agree, but also have a billion hours in LoL, just because I'm quite good at it, so it's quite fun doing the mechanical actions of it, I imagine like someone who's good at a sport like darts or snooker feels, y'know? Like snooker is the loving same every single time, but being quite good at physics is just somehow satisfying, and LoL is a bit like that. I don't think I'm the same as other players I know though, because to me it's JUST like a toy, and the idea of getting angry at it is bewildering.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

CrRoMa posted:

Lol isn't simulating real life and snooker isn't simulating killing people

Oh I see, sorry I hadn't really taken in the 'mudersim' aspect of what you were saying. Yeah, I think it's the same though. I think it's a STUPID false equivalence, personally. Like, I don't play pacman and think I'm actually eating pills to eat ghosts, and there's no threat of me becoming 'more of a ghost hunter'. Likewise, I don't play counterstrike and think I'm actually murdering humans, because I'm incapable of thinking that textured polygons are the same as human babies. Maybe in the future with VR there will be enough of a similarity in approach mentally, but, I just don't think any of the mental space overlaps for normal people, and if someone was as unhinged as to be influenced by a game, it's just because they're unhinged, not because the game puts you in a murdery headspace. Like, to get a gun in real life you don't press B, 4, 2, 2, or whatever. The mental space of 'aquire gun' in CS is checking a number at the bottom right of a screen and pressing a memorized series of buttons. Even that, even getting your hands on a gun is COMPLETELY alien and unrelated. There's basically zero in common with shooting the gun, except aiming, and even that isn't actually similar. Like, nothing about playing CS informs how you would murder people with a gun, any more than reading about a murder would. I actually think LESS so, because when you read about it, you would put yourself in that circumstance, but when you play the game, you actually put yourself in a DIFFERENT circumstance that DOESN'T inform the real world equivalent.

Obviously, I might be completely wrong, and this generation is going to grow up and murder the poo poo out of each other and all of us with guns in a hurricane of blood that they're totally blaze about, I'd completely believe that's the case and I'm the weirdo as well, because man, EVERYONE on league is loving livid 24/7 and that's as close to 'the ultimate childrens toy' as I'd wager any victorian era toymaker could have imagined, so it would stand to reason that the thing that should probably fill you with adrenaline, fear, guilt and anger actually leaves them totally cool.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

food court bailiff posted:

extremely hot take that i may have made before:

mobile controls can be pretty good these days, for some things.

Oh for real? Been waiting for this for ages, got any recommendations?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Poil posted:

Red Alert is better and more fun than Command and Conquer. :colbert:

I was about to chime in with how easy a stance that is to hold because only one of them has attack-squid, but then I remembered that it's C&C that has gap generators, which is just such a cool concept / phrase that it bumps it up to a contentious opinion that I agree with. On 'paper', RA3 is the best game of all of them, you can load bears into a tank and shoot them at the enemy. Unfortunately it also has an army of Weebs with a full on anime girl superhero unit. I suspect I would have LOVED the co-op campaign stuff in RA3, but honestly the single player missions were such a disappointment I couldn't bring myself to force it on a friend.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Just picked up Witcher 3 because everyone's always banging on about how great it is, and, yeah, it's p. good, but Geralt is absolutely unacceptable levels of Mary Sue. EVERY SINGLE conversation is hyper cringeworthy because of him, and it's so bad its definitely never going to be ok. I don't really care about that sort of thing, either, but it's just so horribly OTT I can't really understand how that isn't all anyone ever talks about.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

CrRoMa posted:

I'm not labelling a huge swath of TV as "bad". I'm saying television shows have consistently bored me.

I read everything you've said, and I don't think you're dumb or wrong, I just think you have a very short attention span. That kinda sounds like an insult, but to me it's more like "your hair is red". I kind of relate, in that for me, I care 99% about a show or movie having new ideas, and 1% about all the poo poo people ever talk about. It only ever really comes up in discussion as "world building", which is usually where it's obvious. But to me a film that I can understand is not especially great like The adjustment bureau or I <3 Huckabee's, that at least has different ideas in it than the next film, is BETTER than something like "The Wife", but I can still appreciate why the wife would get critical acclaim over the others. I think actually it's because I don't care about human drama and that's what drives 99% of movies. (I'm saying you should watch the Crank movies).

Anyway, dumb game opinion is that I feel the same about games, so anything with a gimmick is GREAT, and as such Clive Barker's Undying with it's scry mechanic and weapon / spell load out is the best fps ever made.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The Witcher 3 is just a cross between fallout 3 and Dragon age origins, and its as bad as that sounds but not as good as that sounds.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think if games as a medium were a bit more mature there would be a meaningful conversation around how the game of say dark souls, is ABOUT overcoming difficulty by mastering it, but a game like RDR is about escapism (I mean, there are probably deeper takes than that but) and so lack of fast travel in one plays to it's strengths while weakening the other, and it's not just something that there's a blanket answer for. But I think you have that conversation when games are actually about something, by design, and reliably.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

a new study bible! posted:

Here's a real unpopular opinion. The new God of War could have been cool, but the level and world design was such plodding poo poo that moving around was a terrible chore and it was reason enough to turn off an otherwise good game.

I turned that game off after you had to complete the long rear end light temple while carrying crystals back and forth like it was an n64 game.

Not defending it, because it is super plodding, but fairly soon after that the world becomes like a big circular hub that doesn't feel as horrid, and that light temple is 110% the worst part of the game. It's weird, because later on you get new abilities and stuff that's fun, but not until like halfway into the game. The most fun stuff is right at the very end. It's like it rewards you for slogging through poo poo with the actually fun game it kept promising.

Also, the new GoW sucks exactly because you can't just mash attack and slowly win, watching insane cut scenes and set pieces all the while, like you expect from GoW. It's much more like a traditional RPG, which is poo poo. (Until the end, when it becomes fun, but then promptly ends in the most unsatisfying way).

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Colonel Cancer posted:

Wait wait I thought Daikatana was The Bad one.

Has anyone got any links to like, stories from the Devs explaining how it came to be? I've always wondered, ever since the moment I played it, how they (being some of the finest game devs of the time) reached the decision to give you a sniper rifle and pit you against swarming hordes of flies on the first level? Like it just seemed so OBVIOUSLY the worst choice, like it was insulting, but then the game didn't especially carry on in that vein? The ad campaign about it kicking my rear end or whatever would have actually been pretty ahead of it's time (See Dark Souls) if it was kind of baked into the design philosophy to be as much of a oval office to the player as possible, sort of like a AAA 'I wanna be the guy' type situation. It still would have been terrible, but at least a conscious decision that I could respect, and enjoy the creative hostility of.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

jokes posted:

I said this since Halo:CE, but gently caress games that have hitscan sniper rifles. Or just sniper rifles in general.

I sincerely believe if you added widowmaker's ult on to someone else's (probably mercy tbh) and got rid of widowmaker, the game would be much much better. It's not so much that I don't like playing against her (though I don't really), it's more that I hate having one on my team, where it either feels like we're a person down, or we ARE a person down.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Harrow posted:

Yeah GDQ is pretty boring these days. I already found it hard to watch because of how much reading out donation messages got repetitive, but the runs aren't even all that interesting to watch anymore on top of that.

God I hope nobody thinks Kratos is a good dad in that game. It's all about terrible parents loving up their kids and Kratos doesn't realize he's doing that until the end (when it's almost certainly too late).

God of War spoilers (ish) I guess? :

I thought it was super-turbo lovely of a God of War game to have the ending NOT be that, like, it sort of kind of 'hints' at the idea of it being too late toward the end, but actually the way it ends and where they are at (Atreyus totally gets over it all and soldiers on like a trooper) implies it isn't at all too late, and that the only 'tragedy' is fate. But, in a kind of, stiff upper lip, I'm more dignified than to fight it / it's for his own good sort of way that means it's bittersweet (if it even is tragic at all), I guess leaving it open ended for sequels, really (Their relationship I mean, the game is obviously tbc) instead of what it should have been, which was Kratos losing EVERYTHING, completely and utterly, and being left wretched and empty.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
All this talk of graphics, it reminds me how irritating it is that most games look the same. Like, you can name off the top of your head the handful of games that have a standout aesthetic, but even often then there's overlap. And I get that a lot of it is imitation and following trends, I just wish studios would take more risks. Now that I phrase it like that I realise this isn't in the least an unpopular opinion...

...game gear was better than gameboy.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

DebonaireD posted:

I think this is because of the move to physically based rendering, and yeah it sucks. It drives unity, unreal engine and others. Everything is shiny, everything has a diffuse glow to it and now all 3d games have that hazy post processed look to them. Every surface is just way too shiny, bumpy and fuzzy whether its spyro or battlefield it's all just a soupy mess.

Oh, I don't even mean that (although yes, that), but more like, first person shooters all look like first person shooters, there's a visual language goes with them. And, like, fine, a lot of it is because it's evolved and proven, but look at hotline Miami. It's not an immediately obvious "X-clone", and it has a style very much its own, to the point it basically kick started a sub culture. Maybe what I want is a modern art equivalent in games.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Serephina posted:

And SS2 was way ahead of its time. ... the only real flaw in the game is the too-sharp transition from boring pregame tutorial to dumping you strait in the deep end.

This is often the case with games considered "very good", I think there's something in not babying the audience. I've ALWAYS said with boardgames people are teaching me, do it with all the expansions and do the full fat version, don't hold anything back 'because it's a learning game'. I actually think it goes for computer games, that you actually have a better experience if at the start, when it's new and exciting, you are inundated, because actually you can pick up way more early on than you'd give yourself credit for, and it means then you're playing the full game longer.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Waltzing Along posted:

Monopoly is a bad game.

The last time I played was at a family gathering. After the game had devolved as Monopoly games typically do, one person suggested we all form a consortium so that everyone could win. Seemed like a great idea. All the liberals who were playing quickly agreed. The conservatives said no, there can be only one winner.

No wonder this country is totally hosed.

(The conservatives kept playing for 2 more hours after we all bowed out. No one ever won that game. Well, I mean, we won because we enjoyed the rest of our evening.)

What really confounds me, is that, YES. CORRECT. This is the correct and expected outcome of monopoly. It's not a bad game just because of the core mechanics of the game, but also because the intention of the game is for you to have a bad time. This is writ. It's not opinion, it's a fact that Monopoly is kind of like a joke game, it's like Desert Bus, it's like Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band - Jazz, (Delicious Hot, Disgusting Cold), its poo poo ON PURPOSE. This is it working. What has happened though, is that the company that makes it will only sell games to stores if they also agree to stock a bunch of monopoly. Since to have games on your shelf in a game store, you kinda need to buy from them, it means you're contractually obligated to peddle Monopoly. (It's almost as if..... etc etc.)

It's like if every year at Christmas, across the country, everyone got out an Uwe Boll movie (This is in a world where it is accepted as fact that he did make poo poo films on purpose as a tax break, just go with it for the sake of argument) and hated it, then the rest of the year said "Oh, I don't really like movies. I only really watch 'Alone in the Dark' at Christmas, you know." And it was the general consensus that movies are bad, and that you got idiot cunts saying stuff like "If you watch it in the original 4:3 format at 50fps it's actually good, I refuse to watch it any other way". NO gently caress OFF STOP WATCHING ALONE IN THE DARK FOR ANY REASON EVER THERE ARE LITERALLY THOUSANDS OF GREAT FILMS OUT THERE FOR FUCKS loving SAKE.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 18, 2019

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Wasn't that Isolation?

No, it was colonial Marines, where the .ini file had to be switched from

"Aliensonateather" to "Aliensonatether" and it suddenly worked as a game. Like, holy gently caress.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A bit funny given the DC crossover and that they're made by WB Games now iirc.

Though overdesigned edgy ninjas was kinda the whole 90s aesthetic that MK revelled in from the start.

Yeah, I feel like, when MkII came out, 80s ninjas were cool by virtue of being kinda poo poo, but owning it. By the time 3 came out though, that was more like a cool retro aesthetic, so being kinda poo poo and 90s but owning it was more MK. Like it's always existed in it's own weird world that totally skirts the line between self aware and not.