Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceocNS-toDk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Genderfluent posted:

Schindler is the Alex Jones of the left
Schindler isn't really "left" though.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Professor SJW posted:

nah the better timeline is the one where your dad squirted you on your mom's veiny tits instead of in her cooch

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

if the police are chasing 108 black guys after a shooting, vs 6 white guys, there's a much higher chance of one of those 108 black guys getting shot
boy howdy these SAT math questions are a lot different from what i remember in school

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well I, for one, love the Chinese Communist Party! What do you think about that!?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Poetic Justice posted:

Does China have hot babes? I like countries that have a lot of hot babes
The hottest.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

That a great portion of the US still literally believe in prophecies (maybe even more than in Israel) is maddening as gently caress I give you that.
prophecies and miracles are true though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the thing about israel though that yes theyre pretty bad but so are all of their neighbours

its kinda like the syrian war, there are no good people to be found on any of the sides
syria is one of these "gray" wars where every side has a "legitimate" reason for being angry at their enemies. they are all sometimes good but mostly bad, and the only thing that everyone more or less agrees on is that ISIS is not just bad but actually evil (which it is), which makes everyone fighting ISIS kinda the good guys.

israel is also mostly bad, but it's in the same gray zone. to survive in the mideast you have to be part of a tribe willing to throw down if anyone comes within your territory. actually i don't know if that's true, but people over there seem to have convinced themselves of that.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
also i think, the size of the middle east is important here. it's a pretty small place, actually.

here in america, if i live in a crappy neighborhood or want to sell my house and move, i just do it. it's a pain in the rear end, but our individualistic society makes it easy to do, and land is relatively unimportant.

and there's one big giant hegemon called the U.S. federal government that makes those kinds of transactions and the freedom of movement over vast distances possible. and culturally, things are pretty homogeneous. you can drive across the whole territory without having to stop at any border checkpoints -- and stay in the exact same hotel chain the whole way.

now the width of the gaza strip is like 4 miles across. a fit person can walk across that length in about an hour. erbil, the capital of iraqi-kurdistan, is as far away from mosul as a commuter suburb is to downtown dallas. and these cities are very different culturally, linguistically, religiously. and your house is not just a thing [or an "asset"] but your family history, a symbol of the future salvation of your people -- and whatever else.

different mindset.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 11, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What if I told you I like brutal hardcore Outer Space-Kimilsungism.

Does that shock you.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9PCcx7i4xQ

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Knight posted:

I love these things, they're either so broad that they're describing everyone in the world who is different than the author (usually in a horribly insulting way) or so precise that any further description is redundant but is wrapped up with a new nickname.

I saw one that was: Nu-males
-In their 30s
-Has beard and/or glasses
-Hair thinning

Yes, you definitely identified men in their 30s, gj. Let me tell you about these, uh, cuckOlds; they're men over the age of 65 who are obese, wrinkled, and have some kind of chronic problem that requires medication.
Yeah whoever wrote that has got some alienation going on. I see this Elliot Rodger type guy sitting in class, never says anything, quiet. He doesn't talk to anyone. After class he packs up his books and returns to his apartment and composes his maestro: "freaks of nature...blacks...mudsharks... the sexually abused... the only solution is a good old fashioned culling."

I have more thoughts on this than I'm willing to think through right at this second. But I will say that modern U.S. college campuses seem like alienating places in general and for a lot of reasons. So this student, who was already isolated and confused, now has somebody to blame! It's the freaks... the blacks... etc. etc.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

new phone who dis posted:

I actually think the groundwork has already been laid for stripping radicalization out of the University considering that most of the graduates holding degrees in those fields will still be busy paying them off while underemployed by the time their kids go to school.
See, I don't buy that the universities are intentionally radicalizing people. Although caveat here being that I didn't go to Rutgers (far from it). But in my experience it seemed that professors were under pains not to offend anybody. The one I remembered who did not do this fled his West African country just before the army shot a bunch of intellectuals. That guy was awesome and he hated political correctness in all forms, left and right. He'd torch all sides equally.

I would say it was a pretty alienating environment though. You take a bunch of confused young people from all over and cram them into a campus which is ballooning from this student-debt bubble. An environment that's constantly in flux like that does weird things to the brain. Everyone is stressed out. You feel persecuted but don't know why. The left-wing students who want to force all men to wear dresses or whatever: they think the university is persecuting them. Or alternatively, these purple-haired freaks are out to get me!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

When the Soviet Union fell and there was nowhere left cool to be a communist all the radicals fled to academia to regroup and rebrand into the dumb modern identity politics bullshit we're getting bombarded with these days. The irony is that they've completely lost any attempt to appeal to the average working class person even a little and it's pretty much elitist and bougie pricks using that cudgel to perpetrate class warfare.
I don't disagree. But your mistake is thinking the right is not doing that too. The right has -- very cleverly -- appropriated the same dumb modern identity politics. It's "we're downtrodden and oppressed against the privileged elite." And that's how they snagged you like a catfish eating a cheeseball hooked to a fishing line. The "average working class person" around my part of the country has a mustache, speaks Spanish, likes sports and thinks Trump is a dumbass, but otherwise doesn't think about politics very much.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I never vote for the right and their importance to me extends only as far as their ability to expose the supposed left for the crooks they are. The demographics in my area are similar to yours. It's not surprising the right adopted identity politics, what's surprising is the people on the left whining about it like they didn't help create it.
That's not surprising either. But really all I can say is that, chances are, people will get sick of the right-version like they did the left-wing version, but also not-surprisingly the left-wing version will come back, and then people will get sick of that again. And that will happen because people are predictably dumb.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

When the Soviet Union fell and there was nowhere left cool to be a communist all the radicals fled to academia to regroup and rebrand into the dumb modern identity politics bullshit we're getting bombarded with these days. The irony is that they've completely lost any attempt to appeal to the average working class person even a little and it's pretty much elitist and bougie pricks using that cudgel to perpetrate class warfare.
Campus P.C. leftism is also a broader cultural thing. It's Pomo politics. Identities are created by power relations and must be deconstructed. Language creates the world and "words have power." I mean that's basically "meme magic" for the right. We can remake our realities and change consciousness through manipulation of symbols and language.

Or in advertising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8XUBPl_A84

But fixing structural racism, for the left ... is a lot harder. As it will be equally difficult for the right which seeks to return America to ... I dunno ... an Eisenhower-era golden age or something like that. I'm pessimistic.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 6, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It's easy actually, end war on drugs, create tons of jobs through legalization
No that's an objective, reality-based thing that would work, which is why it won't happen.

Instead, we solved racism by electing a black president, who solved racism through sheer symbolic meme power, but since he was a racist against white people we elected an orange president who healed the racial divisions which bedeviled us by remaking our very consciousness, but in fact, the orange man is a racist. Therefore, we should

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

a bone to pick posted:

Trump will be America's Julius Caesar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a5nfaPgExo

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Prorat posted:

They are frauds, they are actors and make up artists. It's been proven time and time again.

You are so easily fooled.
I'm not surprised that White Helmets are mixed up with jihadis but this stuff is also pretty common in war zones.

http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/reporter-shoots-at-isis

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
IMO a lot about America's political culture, social problems and violent crime problem derives from it being a colonial country in the Western Hemisphere.

The United States is like if Brazil managed to expand more and get really big + wealthier.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y63784JvYA

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kiryen posted:

It pays good, so I'm sticking with it for the time being.
please don't hurt anyone

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There was some mischief with Russian soft power organs like RT being in the tank for Trump, and Trump's hired gun "advisors" like Manafort and Page were up to something. But it was never clear to me how much of an effect this had, or what it means now that Trump is president (very little).

'Trump is the Siberian Candidate' thing doesn't hold water. Because some wealthy Russians bought his real-estate properties? I don't think Trump cares who buys his properties as long as they buy them.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

just before the French TV debate betwen LePen and Macron there have been Russian tweeter accounts sharing a fake document claiming Macron has offshore accounts. This was immediately used by Lepen in the debate.

Those who think Russia didn't intervene during US election are painfully naive
I saw mischief-making like that yeah. But relations between the U.S. and Russia have if anything gotten worse since the election, probably in part as blowback for the mischief.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Poetic Justice posted:

Yeah? So their goal was to get Trump elected to upset the popular majority, and cause chaos, is that it? Really, you think that?
Not to help get Trump elected. No. Trump's victory blindsided the Russian government's goons as much as it did everyone else.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

No

Trump being elected is just the icing on the cake. They just want to create confusion, make people not trusting their government in general. And you don't have to push Americans too much for that. I don't think they will succeed in getting LePen elected though
Yeah it's a chaos strategy, which worked for awhile as it allows Russia to punch above its weight geopolitically by being unpredictable. But credible experts who know Russian intelligence people were like "these idiots were totally stunned that Trump actually won -- they didn't expect it." They (quite understandably from their perspective) didn't like Hillary and wanted to poo poo on what they saw as her inevitable inauguration. Now they've got unpredictable Trump in charge and don't know what to do. Putin has been diminished internationally by this.

But this isn't surprising at all. The CIA did stuff like this for decades and it blew up in the agency's face plenty of times.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 5, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If you don't think foreign intelligence agencies are meddling in the U.S. then you will get owned eventually if you have anything of value. It mostly doesn't have anything to do with politics. Say, if you're a business owner who works in technology and want to protect trade secrets for instance. Industrial espionage is massive.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

VikingSkull posted:

anyone with a brain would've known this when Trump launched missiles at Syria and people in the MSM were talking about how great it was and how presidential Trump looked

the first indicator I had that most of it was bullshit was when they constantly reported it as "Russia interfering with/hacking the election" and not the truth, which was "Russia possibly hacked the DNC and released inconvenient truths"
Russia had also cultivated various hangers-on like dumbass Michael Flynn. Jill Stein was another one of these. (RT even hosted the Green Party debate lmao)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N0D6Em6P_8

Also hey, give a speech in Russia and get paid for it. And also you get to sit next to Putin during a dinner and drink a bunch. Whaddya know... Russia ain't so bad... maybe we should get along...

Now is this any different from what other foreign governments do with the Democrats? I dunno. It's part of the game. I think it's more common than people assume, but also more banal than the spider-web conspiracy theories suggest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_United_States_campaign_finance_controversy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Like, the letter firing Comey even admits it was at Sessions' suggestion.

It's undeniable

The piss tape is real
It's true. Trump had Russian hookers piss on him.

America has a pissy piss-president of the United States of Piss.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Piss tape real

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Because why should they be prolonging a witch hunt. It's loving stupid. This whole Russian angle was stupid. And you fell for it.
I hate to break it to ya but firing Comey is not going to make this thing stop.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Trumpists wanted to prevent America from becoming a third-world banana republic so they elected a third-world banana republic leader to the White House.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

a bone to pick posted:

Ok guys make up your minds already, are we going with Trumpkins, Trumpets, or Trumpists? There are way too many terms for Trump supporters.
Trumpyites.

Pronounced Trumpy-ites.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The new electric catapult system which doesn't work and requires years of development and millions for a total redesign and refit to be combat ready. Or say "gently caress it" and do away with the pointless flashy new tech and go for the refit (which was anticipated during design) with a cheaper option based on proven technology.
it'd cost billions to reintroduce steam catapults since the U.S. doesn't make them anymore

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

COMRADES posted:

He literally has done nothing meaningful and should be held accountable for this ridiculousness (I mean come on, he and his staff can't even keep their stories straight wtf?) and this has nothing at all to do with the election of 6 months ago.

Hillary is gone. What, in 4 years when still nothing good has happened for you and me are you going to shrug and say "well but Hillary."
The "mood of the nation," in 1972, was so overwhelmingly vengeful, greedy, bigoted and blindly reactionary that no presidential candidate who even faintly reminded "typical voters" of the fear & anxiety they'd felt during the constant "social upheavals" of the Sixties had any chance at all of beating Nixon last year – not even Ted Kennedy – because the "pendulum effect" that began with Nixon's slim victory in '68 was totally irreversible by 1972. After a decade of left-bent chaos, the Silent Majority was so deep in a behavorial sink that their only feeling for politics was a powerful sense of revulsion. All they wanted in the White House was a man who would leave them alone and do anything necessary to bring calmness back into their lives – even if it meant turning the whole state of Nevada into a concentration camp for hippies, niggers, dope fiends, do-gooders, and anyone else who might threaten the status quo. The Pendulum Theory is very voguish these days, especially among Washington columnists and in the more prestigious academic circles, where the conversion-rate has been running at almost epidemic proportions since the night of November 7th. Until then, it had not been considered entirely fashionable to go around calling ex-Attorney General John Mitchell a "prophet" because of his smiling prediction, in the summer of 1970, that "This country is going so far to the right that you won't recognize it."

This is the nut of the Pendulum Theory. It is also a recurring theme in McGovern's personal analysis of why the voters rejected him so massively last November. The loss itself didn't really surprise him. Not even the Eagleton debacle, he insisted, could explain away the fact that the American people had come within an eyelash of administering the worst defeat in the history of presidential politics to a gentle, soft-spoken and essentially conservative Methodist minister's son from the plains of South Dakota.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Yug posted:

Who are you supporting, the spooks or Trump? Who would you rather see set the agenda for the country?
Are the Russians a third option?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
well at lot of the "discussion" here is not about actual policies but about identity and symbolism. trumpism is right-wing identity politics.

the big political divide in the U.S. is between urban and rural/suburbs (the latter kind of a battleground) and the political loyalties map onto them. nixon was adept at exploiting this to his advantage. for the right, with some justification, they resent liberal do-gooders perched in their urban and academic enclaves and who exercise a lot of sway over media/entertainment. there are many liberals who believe their politics are the only acceptable baseline for speaking about how society should be ordered, which leads to things like "PC" (in the american context) and creates a lot of resentment which eventually, given enough time, causes the pendulum to swing in the other direction. and it swung very hard in 2016.

but eventually it will swing back in the other direction.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I agree. But even doing all of the above, Trump comes across as a lumbering buffoon with zero experience, leadership or deal making skills in the current administration. Even if you solely go by full interviews, he sounds woefully out of touch with the reality of the job, the problems (not the perceived problems) of the American people, and at times reality itself.
Trump reminds me of my fairly autistic/aspergers syndrome father but like... more so.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Yug posted:

gently caress YOU AUTISTIC DAD
No, I like my dad. But he does remind me of Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Can you describe what kind of person Donald Trump is based on this interview? Just some characteristics of the man that come across in the interview. It's fairly indicative of him as a person (and president so far), and I'm curious.
He comes across as having high-functioning aspergers syndrome / autism coupled with age. He lacks a "theory of mind" or the idea that other people have different perspectives than his own, which is why he has no filter and seems perplexed that people oppose him. A typical president would come up with a (true: often self-serving) analytical reason for their opposition, but Trump doesn't seem capable of that. Trump is like "It's crazy they don't like Trump. Other people like Trump. I think I'm doing a great job, too! It's weird they don't like the great, amazing job I'm doing!"

• Locked thread