Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Blackchamber posted:

He has stated before, and I'm sure several times, that he is like a smart person. Not valley girl 'like' but that he and smart people have a lot in common 'like'. He's also smart related because at one point when he was explaining why hes 'like a smart person' he said his dad graduated from MIT or something, and we all know that college degrees are passed down as an inheritance.

Considering that college degrees are a requirement for sperm donors in many places in the US, I'm guessing a lot of people would agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

....so awesome?

Extremely

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Drone_Fragger posted:

What is it with grimdark space universes and "Whoops we made an AI that was sentient and now we don't use computers anymore or know what technology is"

Well, if you're going for grimdark then your alternative is "we made an AI and now everything is terrible."

On the flip side you either have AI and everything is great or you don't have AI and human organization is a clusterfuck.

I guess you could somehow thread the needle and have a grimdark world where AI exists but is useless in saving humanity from itself, in which case it's little more than window dressing.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I actually search Ctrl-Alt-Del to see if it was still going. This is, no poo poo, the top of the summary box on Google.

Not the logo. Not Tim Buckley. Not even just a blank spot. Loss is the emblem of this comic as far as Google is concerned.

For those wondering, it is still going, and I think Buckley is actually starting to get the hang of drawing. He still doesn't quite have it down, but he's getting there. Still can't tell a joke worth a poo poo, though.

e: Just noticed it's not even Loss, it's an edit with Ethan running away. That's how little control Buckley has over his own brand.

That's gain.jpg. loving incredible

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

The animals in these pictures were definitely dead at the time they were taken. I've seen them posted often but I guarantee they were just posed corpses

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

CaptainViolence posted:

literally every excerpt i've ever seen reads exactly as if someone who hated the book wrote a parody of it. it mangles my mind that something so poorly written has any hype at all. it somehow makes me miss when twilight was huge, and that makes me quietly contemplate what the sweet release of death will finally feel like

If I've learned anything from these last ten years of my life, it's that you can never lose money by underestimating the quality of work that people are willing to consume. I feel that you can write a book where every sentence is no more than ten words long using only words you learn in elementary school and it will sell millions so long as you put enough references into it. Watch out for my next book: Monster Island Romance, where a gamer is sent to a world populated by hot monster ladies and has sex with all of them because they are extremely turned on by his ability to quote game, movie, and science trivia at them. It will sell billions

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

oldpainless posted:

I have not read the book.

There's no need to brag

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

This is both excellent and accurate

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Hjalmar posted:

Cricket seems pretty bad, but the worst game? Tough competition. Does it even cause much permanent brain damage?

Only to the viewer

:downsrim:

I'll be here all week, folks

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Paladinus posted:

DnD podcasts are the second dumbest thing next to Minecraft lets plays.

On the other hand, The Adventure Zone is dope as hell

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I only drink instant

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

bike tory posted:

It started with The Last Airbender and Dragon Prince. Then he watched Your Name and really loved it, which was fair enough because it's a great movie. But now he's watched several series on Netflix that I don't even know, one of them is called Revisions?

Have your dad watch One Punch Man. I think it’s on Netflix

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Gripweed posted:

American comic books wish they were anime. Comic books are all dumb superheroes trying to act serious. Meanwhile, anime is dealing with actual important stuff

Dungeon Meshi is extremely good, yes

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

that we're all so familiar with the fuckups of greek gods and not anything about them that might seem to merit veneration is in part due to christian propaganda, so who's got the last laugh now :catholic:

Nah, that was the attitude of Greeks at the time, too. The Greek gods were forces of nature. They were something you respected and feared, but also tried to avoid. Just look at their myths: being loved by the gods never ended well. Sometimes it was even worse than being despised by the gods. Your best hope was to just never be noticed by them. The only god who was actually chill was Hermes and that’s why he still has cults that persist to this day

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

bike tory posted:

I thought "snatched" was a drag thing?

A lot of drag terminology has its roots in AAVE

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

The only bad part about that story is that he got arrested

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Ok

gently caress you nyc you piece of poo poo.

As a former New Yorker, this but unironically

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

bike tory posted:

tell that to the 10 person max in my apartment building's tiny elevators. You'd have to be very familiar with the other people to get more than 6 in.

?????

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

The text translates to something like “closer than you think” so I’m still not sure if it’s intentional or a very good accidental joke

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Remember at the end of the IT book where all the 11-12 year olds hosed the single girl in the group so they could form a bond that linked them together forever? I wish I didn't remember.

For some reason in the movie they just make a blood bond instead.

It was specifically so that they could get out of the sewers, with the implication that IT's magic or influence or whatever would separate them/keep them down there forever if they didn't have a strong enough bond. This is something that they sort of randomly deduce on their own without anything actually hinting at it

What I'm getting at is that King is a bad writer who came up with the most contrived reason possible to write a preteen sex scene in one of his books. At least it was memorable I guess!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That seems weird to me.

Here's the load Firefox is currently running on my machine:

I've got 70 tabs open currently and like half of them are a few years old at this point. My data use is even less than this example. Most of my tabs are articles and I've got decent ad block so maybe that's making more it efficient

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

so like what are y'all even looking at to have so many tabs open?

I can't imagine just browsing the internet and reading random websites lol

Like half of my tabs are photography and coding reference materials. Then I have some random articles I keep meaning to get around to reading, tabs for other thing I keep meaning to follow up on, and a few for e-mail and other poo poo

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I was in NYC this year for a convention (for work, not anime titties) and I stopped at a pizza place, standing room only, long line. $3 cash only, two slices and a can of soda.

It was loving good.

lol, I think I even know the specific place you went to. But yeah, it owns. That was lunch for me every day when I was working as a courier there

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

Are the people on the right some new subculture I'm not aware of? They like like slightly updated versions of Morrissey fans from the late 80s

Upper middle class east coast liberals

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Top left could definitely work for bottom left but not so much vice versa. Same with the other side

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So tired of people trying to do this. "Oh no, the infinite monkeys on Reddit guessed the big gimmick, better throw everything into the trash and push out some random garbage."

If people have used what is in your books/show to extrapolate where it's going, that means you've done something right. So what if a few internet nerds get to crow about how they "called it"? 99% of your audience will have never heard of them and will enjoy what you're making.

It's especially stupid because we already have a literary tool specifically for dealing with this: the red herring. If your audience has a pretty good guess about what the big upcoming twist that you've been building towards is, then just throw in some misinformation to throw them off. Have them suddenly start going "wait, poo poo, this changes everything" and making new theories. Then by the time you get to the big twist they're thrown off twice over and you don't have to compromise the cool plot you wanted to do. It's incredible that so many writers are more interested in antagonizing their readers than having the confidence to stick to a good narrative they already made

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I still haven't forgiven Kojima for making me play as Raiden and probably never will.

Revengeance was extremely good though?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

Meanwhile she's off in Hawaii for weeks at a time with the personal trainer....well I learned that last part from memes so probably not true.

That tweet was an obvious fake but Shapiro owns himself enough on the regular anyway

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I always thought the “shaken, not stirred” thing was just a reference to Bond’s own attitude towards the poo poo he deals with on the job. That is, no matter how bad or hosed up things might be, he’s only ever shaken up by them, not stirred

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

People bought into the “fast food is terrible for you!” rhetoric so hard that they’re afraid to eat common combinations of bread and meat with sauce. Supersize Me probably did more harm than good in that now lots of people think they’re nutritionist geniuses because they don’t eat certain types of food but also don’t bother actually examining what they do eat

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Sep 22, 2020

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

The piss explainers have logged on

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

PBFing is a time-honored forum tradition

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

“On average, we live pretty well: worse than last year, but definitely better than next year“

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Blue collar work seems to be a correlation more than a cause because every person I know with a physical labor job who actually eats well and doesn’t smoke looks loving great for their age

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

bike tory posted:

love the smell of cigarettes

the cancer is the problem imo

Cigarettes smell real good when you're a smoker. They smell super bad when you're not

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Man, I bet HOAs wouldn’t be such dogshit if they were collectives that helped all the members maintain their poo poo and keep it up to code. Like, oh word, someone’s fence looks to be in bad shape? We’ve got this pool of money we can dip into to hire a painter and replace any broken parts for you. Instead it’s a bunch of control freaks threatening to gently caress people over for having a lawn that’s half an inch too tall

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

This is great news for bears who have always wanted to be human women

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Alterian posted:

At my public high school we dissected a pig fetus. The AP bio students dissected cats.

We had a student who, during the fetal pig dissection, on his own, decided to attempt to remove the vertebrae while leaving the spinal cord intact. He apparently succeeded and last I heard he went on to become a surgeon. Cool poo poo imo

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Memento posted:

There's a news article I can't find right now about why the population in Russia is declining, and it basically boils down to "we've been taught our entire lives through government policy and state-run media that we're not worth anything, so gently caress it, we're not worth anything". It's pretty depressing, actually.

Ah, so America and Russia DO have something in common

…Though that actually contradicts what I know about Russia. Both of my parents are Russian and spend pretty much all their free time watching RT and poo poo. They’re both extremely oorah-nationalistically proud of being Russian and are convinced that Russians are all the best, greatest, kindest, most competent and capable (not to mention most humble) people on the planet who can do no wrong. Maybe it’s different actually in Russia, but at the very least their exposure to state-run media has only made their egos bigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I think it’s hosed up that everyone hasn’t bothered to memorize the names and locations of places they’ll almost certainly never go to in their lives in this era where we can just look up basically anything we might need to know with the touch of a button. I’m profoundly disappointed