Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone in a region with Neo Geo games try a Neo Geo game? I got Waku Waku 7 to test out how viable D-buttons are (shockingly not all that terrible?) and the audio is out of sync.
Is this your experience?

Also, is everyone's joycon strap bumpers scarily tight? I feel like one day trying to force one off I'll bend the rail.

Edit: Also, also, Voez is pretty nice. There's almost too many songs.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

Hooked it up to my nice 4k OLED HDTV and the menus look surprisingly shittier than my regular old PS4, like they're purposefully using 720p assets (screenshots and icons and such) and upscaling them.

The menus are definitely 720, just like the WiiU.

e: Is all of Snipperclips single player accessible?

ee: and

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone in a region with Neo Geo games try a Neo Geo game? I got Waku Waku 7 to test out how viable D-buttons are (shockingly not all that terrible?) and the audio is out of sync.
Is this your experience?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 3, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Played some two-player Snipperclips at a food court today and nobody snatched the Switch off the table!!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I got paranoid about dock-screen scratch reports and did this beautiful job.

RIP lovely t-shirt.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bowmore posted:

I haven't had any Zelda framerate issues on my 40inch tv

Were you handheld for the first ten minutes? One of the definite chuggy areas is the walk down to meet the old man.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-4OC-A5JW0
I'm finding it pretty impossible to get the full message with the naked eye, but I did see a few letters, so thanks Reggie!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 5, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shoulder buttons rotate you. They're key, but I didn't find it too too bad using the little unstrapped nubbins.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Beastie posted:

] Won't be using my dock again until my glass protectors get here on Monday.

You can slip one of the foam bags from the console packaging snugly over the front of the dock. Not saying it'll fix your scratch, but you wouldn't have to worry about getting any more.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

FireMrshlBill posted:

I really wish I am Setsuna or Shovel Knight were $20.

For the future, since I don't think credit carries over between accounts, Shovel Knight is $12USD in the Mexican store.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349910

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is The rumble neat in the Dragon Quest demo? Pretty sure I previously heard that you'd feel a difference striking armor or slimes.

e: My strap bumpers are still scary tight two days later.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

I have a ton of cheap microfiber cloths for my glasses and devices, any reason why it would be a bad idea to cut one up and use doublesided tape to stick scraps to the parts of the dock that make contact with the switch?

Do it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is The rumble neat in the Dragon Quest demo? Pretty sure I previously heard that you'd feel a difference striking armor or slimes.

Tried it out and that was total BS (unless they were talking about DQXI.)
Also, it's one of the most poorly preforming games I've ever seen.

Edit: Okay docked looks way better here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfbfUtSQzz8
I was on handheld with maybe half that framerate.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 5, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Circle Nine posted:

I know it didn't launch with it, but has Nintendo given anything at all of a timeline on when VC is going to start on the console, and specifically when GCN VC is going to start? A $300 Zelda machine isn't super appealing to me as good as the game looks, but if they add a solid block of Gamecube games that'll probably push me into buying one sooner rather than later.

The only thing they've said about VC is that when online play goes behind the paywall, there will be a free old game or two you can play free for a month. I think they also hinted that these games will have extra online functionality. Multiplayer, leaderboards, ect.
That's all we've heard officially.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In my experience, the kickstand does the job :shrug:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tabletop charging solved:
https://twitter.com/spica_esper/status/837708096499691520

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anidav posted:

While I find Zelda impressive. Stamina is way too imbalanced. Most of the shrines outside the plateau require a gently caress load of climbing making the game slightly linear towards Kakariko Village.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anCN5fnJViw

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well some people want to avoid scratching their Switch while docking them. A screen protector is going to look better than scratches on the bezel.

Covering the offending plastic inside the dock works too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Healbot posted:

It's the same resolution and effects settings on both docked and handheld mode.

Docked looked 1080 to me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Does flipping the right joycon upside down work?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Infinitum posted:

lol at people having issues getting the joycon sliders off.

They're tight for sure, but I think they're designed that way to stop Wiimote-in-TV style incidents

Put the little T clip down, then push up firmly. That's it.

Watch again. They're shoving them in upside down.

edit: I don't wanna tempt fate by saying this, but the glitches look and sound really neat :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 7, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Conot posted:

Docked is 900p, Undocked is 720p

Dragon Quest? Docked looks pixel sharp to me. Either way, it sure isn't the handheld's resolution on TV.

e: I guess that poster could be saying that it doesn't switch it's rendering mode on handheld and is downsampling.
That'd actually be a useful case to judge the higher clock mode.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 7, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Seriously how do you move the icons on the home menu?

By playing the games?

These look classy as.
http://imgur.com/gallery/LDRVN

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shaddap

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Any word on when the eShops are next updating?

edit: Never mind. Forgot there was an eShop thread.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 8, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

Is the $25 shovel knight worth it? Or is the $10 good enough?

Don't start playing with the second DLC campaign. The play mechanics for the extra characters are all funky cause they're assuming you've played the base already.
Get the full one. It's totally worth it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 8, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Infinitum posted:

OK Shovel Knight is pretty much perfect on the Switch in handheld mode

I don't think anything beats the 3DS's 1:1 pixels, D-Pad and 3D (if you want it.)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There were two games that could make you proud of being raised a Master System kid. Dragon's Trap was one.
Now let's get a remake of Alex Kidd in Miracle World.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sunshine is the only 30FPS mainline Mario game. Hopefully if they put it out in VC they can remove the lock.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just got the PDP Joycon soft grips with the extra comfort booty at the bottom and I can highly recommend. They make handheld so much better.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We got Voez at launch. I recommend it.

Edit: And since the US is now getting Neo Geo, I'll say again, the game I tried (Waku Waku 7) had delayed audio.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So is there a new list of Japanese store games in English language worth getting now? Updated for today?

All they got today was Nam-1975.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

pissdude posted:

I also got Voez (it's pronounced Voice btw)

You can't stop me saying Vo-ez :colbert:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

I haven't played Shovel Knight since it rereleased on my Wii U. Do I have access to Plague Knight and the newest expansion for free?

Yup.

edit: Actually, not the new one till April, since it's a timed Switch exclusive.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 12, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Louisgod posted:

Follow up to this, I bought Shovel Knight for the 3DS when it first came out, do I also get it "free" on the Switch?

Of course not!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

enojy posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris has some interesting rumble effects... I was playing it muted while listening to a podcast, and the controllers do this distinct whistling sound when the boards swap between Puyo Puyo and Tetris. They also mimic the original Game Boy sound in Tetris whenever you clear a line.

In Digital Foundry's Fast RMX look, they said the rumble was based on the sound effects for boosting, collisions, ect.
I bet that's what PPT is doing, and it's going to be the go-to cheap HD rumble solution, and it's gonna be real weird hearing the motors produce recognizable frequencies when playing without sound.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I've yet to have the rumble feel like any tangible thing. I'd LOVE for a 12 Switch demo to come out with the ball counting game, so I could finally experience that or finally write it off as baloney.

ethanol posted:

What with the ir light on the back of the joycon and why is it there/pointing the wrong way ?

It's on the back for easy access to your mouth so it can count digital sandwich chomps.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 12, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Oh wow wait, so since I bought the 25 dollar version on the Switch I'm getting another game for free in the future? I didn't even know that and I still bought it. What happens, there's an update in April that adds a game?

This was a few pages ago, but you already have the extra two campaigns. The latest one is delayed for other platforms.
There's a third one planned for later in the year, which you'll get for free.
http://shovelknight.wikia.com/wiki/Planned_Content

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 13, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm super excited about catching up on all the Nintendo stuff from the last decade

Get a WiiU when they turn up super cheap. Without pointer controls, I don't think there'll be a lot of backwards compatibility with the Wii era.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

KOF '94 is worth a look even after '98 cause of the cool stage intros which they immediately dropped for the rest of the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4G0dX-w8QI&t=641s

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Someone made a pad-con.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkal5I0_d-c
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5zlbo2/my_dpad_joycon/

• Locked thread