Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I noticed in the teaser stuff that Talion is still using the broken longsword as a dagger. I really liked that the Wraith reforged your gear as you completed the legends and it feels weird to step back from that, or at the least make that stuff non-canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

For those of us who didn't play Arkham Knight, please explain

Arkham Knight was released on PC in an unplayable state. It was pulled from Steam and refunds were issued. Even after they "fixed" it the damage had been done.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Skandranon posted:

I do like the rune system, having your powers progress and/or be configurable is nice, and getting upgrades is fun, but in the case of SoM it could become TOO easy. It sounds like the new orks have much more options for wrecking your day so hopefully you can be both super powered AND still get your poo poo pushed in from time to time.

I agree that the rune system was awesome, it's just the game didn't step up its difficulty to match the versatility runes provided.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Kumail orc has me dying. 10/10 game. The game director was probably only half joking when he asked Conan if he wanted to voice an orc. Give me a Conan orc, Monolith.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Calaveron posted:

What else did Kumail voice that also made people mad

That Salarian administrator in Mass Effect Andromeda comes to mind.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't usually follow game releases this closely, do people usually lose their minds like this? Did the FOB funbux in MGSV have a similar effect?

Yes, I don't get it either but people get ravenous about spoilers.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I decided that PC was my go to for this game. How's the kb/m expected to control? Just wondering if I should dust off my 360 controller.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Micro transactions are lovely. That which we can all agree. This game will sell bonkers regardless of that, so abandon any hope of the publisher learning any lessons or anything.

All signs point to this being an awesome game in spite of them. I guess the final verdict will be out on them tonight/tomorrow but I'm not concerned with them.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Game is good. The only thing that disappoints me is in the opening where the Ring is immediately stripped from you. What a huge cop-out. Otherwise this is so far everything I wanted and more.

PC port is also good, at least for me. No issues at all so far and kb/m controls are real good.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't think Talion is displaying proper reverence for his dead son when some of these dagger drops are reskins of Acharn, other broken longswords.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'll reserve my judgement of the final segment of the game to when I get to it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I wish it was possible to skip the fixed orc captain intros during story missions. They're gold the first time but I died a few times in one of the story missions surprise entry by my Nemesis, a vaultbreaker guardian and I'm tired of waiting for this orc to shut up so I can maybe not die this time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pierson posted:

Nah I don't mean the hierarchy stuff that happens in the background I mean (and it's been a long time but I'm pretty this was how it worked) that playing the game properly (building up combo meter to instakill the tougher orcs) was directly at odds with Nemeses since instakills meant they never came back, so if you were halfway decent at fighting you never got these cool stories about people being stalked by the same orc across the whole game. Like, the Nemesis who met me at the gates at the end of the first game was some runt I'd seen twice.

Also people post more about the Conquests please it sounds like it's basically the reason I'd buy the game. :v:

I've had more than one orc cheat death in the 3 hours I've played so far. One of whom more than once. First time, came back scarred and his epithet changed to 'The Survivor'. The second time he came back with a bag on his head lmao. He got really tough after that so I've been ducking him.

I'm at work like some adult so I haven't even completed the first act yet, so I have nothing on conquests for you, sorry.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Phi230 posted:

I have this guy that I literally can't hit. He dodges everything

For guys like that you have to exploit their fears. They'll drop their immunities for a time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Just started Act II. I'm glad Talion and Celebrimbor finally got their ring back. Makes me feel a lot better about the first act.

Some more musings:

-I like that the quote for Galadriel in the appendices is her Terrible Beauty monologue for maximum edge. (Is that a spoiler? I'll spoil it just in case.)

-WB STILL can't get the rights for the Simillarion so the "Fair Form" Sauron can't be called Annatar.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Holy poo poo skulking around Gorgoroth is amazing. Chilling under Mount Doom itself and being able to see Barad-dur in the distance is awesome.

Edit: Also my nemesis appears to have followed me there, after cheating death from our first encounter. Leave me alone you jerk!

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 11, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Snuffman posted:

Without spoiling too much, could anyone tell me how many areas we visit/how deep into Mordor we go? I'm in the second area, but still in Act 1, I guess.

Spoil one thing for me, do we go back to the Black Gate or the Sea of Nurn?

There are five areas, each of them very distinct. They're also all over Mordor. As far as I know you never revisit the SoM areas, but I'm only in Act II.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hihohe posted:

Well trying to posts pictures on your phone sucks but now that im home i can do it right

This deserves to be in the OP.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There's nothing to be done about it. The microtransactions could have just gotten you hats to put on your orc buddies and the reception would be the same.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Tenacious J posted:

That, AND I can’t stand how stiff the cloaks look. This is 2017.

And just like the last game, cutscenes are pre-rendered. This ultra-high quality modern game with 4k textures and cinematics doesn't do in-engine cutscenes. The last game had no excuse, as great care was put into the weapon models (and I'm one of the few who really liked the weapon reforging). This game though it's especially egregious given the amount of customization Talion is capable of.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

I hear people already have thousands of gold just from playing the game.

I wonder how? I have zero gold but I haven't exactly been looking for it, nor really doing any of the dailies.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

I didn't even notice that dailies were a thing. Where do y'all see those?

They're under the Challenges heading in your quests.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

These orcs are a Vince McMahon away from forming their own wrestling federation, and I'm loving every second of it. The captains with a hype man crack me up every time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pffft...lore. That was thrown out the window long ago. I'm a super LotR nerd but this game is awesome. It's like a blender of a bunch of What If? scenarios. What if someone had the power to match Sauron? What if you met an Entwife? What if there was another One Ring? What if Shelob was a hot chick? It rules.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Does this need to be on a SSD?

It's not on mine, and load times are minimal. A couple seconds, perhaps, after a mission or when starting the game/changing regions.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Holy poo poo, the one thing I didn't think they'd bring back from SoM (and my favorite thing about it) is here: Talion's starter gear (Urfael, etc.) gets reforged after certain quests.

12/10 game for me now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The overlord of my Seregost is named Skoth Giggles. I cannot wait to confront him.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Caidin posted:

The end of the first game was odd because it seemed like Celebrimbor was gonna pack it in and let Talion go on to the afterlife after getting about as much revenge that could they reasonably manage but then Talion is all like "Nah man, we got this! New ring!"

Now in the actual sequel he barely even seems to care about it.

Really? Celebrimbor is always "New Ring this, dominate that. Forget about these humans, they're just gonna die and the war with Sauron is all that matters." Frankly he won't shut up about it. He was easy to turn from peace because power corrupts and he really wants to get back at Sauron.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Calaveron posted:

So like literally every exchange Talion and Celebrimbor have had in act 1 dude has to bring up the palantir

Basically any quest that doesn't directly advance Celebrimbor's goal of combating Sauron causes him to loudly complain about how much time Talion is wasting.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The most recent captain I tangled with had the epithet "The Complainer". True to his name, everything he said including his combat banter was a complaint. He even complained about me branding him.

I love this game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pleads posted:

What's the point installing warchiefs if I just have to fight the overlord 1v1 anyways?

Man 1v1 would have been a pleasure. The last Overlord I fought it was me, him, and the dozen uruk/ologs he war-horned in every few minutes. He was a beastmaster too so summoning didn't help me.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 16, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hihohe posted:

Wasnt Aragorn technically a half elf but he chose Man instead of Elf and Arwen was his cousin.

Tolkein knew what was up with the lineages of monarchies.

Aragorn was a Dunedain, a Man with Numenorean lineage. Basically humans+. No elf in him, but the Numenoreans were blessed.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The Nimenoreans were basically from Tolkien’s version of Atlantis, right? So are they really human+ or were they what the human baseline was supposed to be like, but after their scattering and the collapse of their civilization everyone eventually became human-?

Long story short, in the First Age some of the Edain (humans of the First Age) help the Elves defeat Morgoth. Those humans were granted their own island and a boon to their lifespan, wisdom and height. A whole bunch of other Edain remained in Middle Earth proper and descended into the normal humans. Numenorians succumbed to their hubris and their island was destroyed. Survivors make their way back to Middle Earth and descend into the Dunedain, who retain all the bonuses god gave them. A bunch of those jerks, Aragorn's direct ancestors, found Gondor, by the way.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I just started Act IV and I, uh, kinda already miss Act II.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Starting a siege mission. Enemy Overlord comes out onto his balcony to begin his pre-battle speech, but he has an Olog with him in chains. The Overlord makes a big, dramatic show of bragging that he found my spy, and then executes the Olog by throwing him off the balcony.

The screen cuts to my army, where one of my captains leans over to me and whispers, "Wait, we didn't have a spy, did we? Did he just kill one of his own?"

The siege begins. Before I move a muscle, the screen flashes "AR-GOLOK THE HUMONGOUS: ENEMY WARCHIEF KILLED."

GOTY.

This is the game that keeps on giving.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

New orc of the day: "The Poisoner". Ambushes me on a quest to poison grog, lectures me on how I'm supersaturating the grog and wasting poison. Orcs and chemistry DO mix!

Edit: vvv I forget his title but every line of one the captains started with "OKAY, OKAY!" That quirk I remember wasn't related to his title so it especially stuck with me.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 17, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Speaking of Bruz, after his shaming he somehow became the bodyguard of a Warchief. His betrayal line was "It's HIS fort. It was always his!" I feel really bad about this. Worse, in missions with random allied captains he always shows up, going on about the fort. :(

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Yea I got the unexpected guy as well. I don't think there are as many unique orcs as goons are gushing about

I've been playing for 30 hours killing tons of captains and haven't seen the same title twice, though unless it was memorable I probably wouldn't notice. There are of course a finite amount of titles that orcs can have and if you play enough or restart you're going to see the same ones again.

DLC Inc posted:

After Act 2 do I get to revisit the other old areas?

You get to quick travel after you conquer your first fort.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I had an Ork turn into "The Unshamed," I made him my bodyguard.

I had The Unashamed as well. Joke's on him, I shamed him again and he became deranged. I sent him to infiltrate a Warchief and while on the way to the mission site he ambush betrays me with a captain he kidnapped and slices his throat in front of me, yowling incoherently the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think Minas Ithil is the smallest of the maps which makes the captains especially dense. It gets a little better once you're in other areas.

• Locked thread