Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Penpal posted:

I don't know if anyone good at aiming who uses a higher DPI than 800 + low sens, kinda dumb how marketing for mice is all about how high the DPI can get. 3200 DPI for what? A 1080° noscope?

Bigger number = better according to most people, regardless of what you're talking about.

I'm also terrible at aiming (I was recently crouched 10 feet from a guy and managed to shoot 2 feet to his right with a pistol, quickly corrected and missed 2 feet to his left, then finally lined him up and would have taken the kill shot if he hadn't calmly blown my face off) , but also old and historically terrible at shooting games, so I'm not sure my DPI is really the problem. Couldn't hurt to lower it even more tho I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Is it too simple to just make it so the plane doesn't auto kick you at the end? Anybody that doesn't manually jump is just removed from the game and get no points.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, don't penalize me for sucking :mad:.

And yeah, I've had good, fun matches where I got no damage points at all (I'm pretty bad), so that doesn't seem like a great solution for me.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

I wish I was good enough at this game to wipe out an entire squad solo in 10 seconds, casually try to start a conversation with one of them, and the only real reaction I'd have is to laugh when one of them team kills his guy with a grenade. Every time I get a kill, my heart is beating furiously like I just hit the go ahead 3 in Game 7 of The Finals.

I got my first suicide grenade kill yesterday (it wasn't intentional, I tried to toss the 'nade into the room the enemy had just ducked into, but he turned around, came back out and murdered me before I could throw it). Gotta admit, it was incredibly satisfying.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

But take the pan off.

I got one a couple days ago and got a good finish with it, but it really seemed like it highlighted whatever weapon I had on my back at the time. It would have looked like a floating, sentient M16 was creeping thru the grass, but nobody saw me (until the last guy who killed me because my aim is terrible).

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

qkkl posted:

What is it with game devs not making obvious quality-of-life improvements that would take 5 minutes to implement? My guess is it's there way of saying "this is OUR game, not yours, and we will do work on things WE choose."

I would assume it has more to do with the "easy" fix not being nearly as easy or straightforward as you think it is and they have other more important things to do first, rather than that they're petulant man-children throwing a temper tantrum like you assume here (and like most of the vocal fan base of any video game).

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Does it actually happen though? I see videos of other people doing it but I assume they're manipulating the video, because I've taken plenty of shots at people from distance and nothing ever really comes of it.

Well, yeah, that's why people post their clips when it happens, because it's hard to do and rare. I take plenty of shots at people UP CLOSE and miss, but I'm not assuming people are manipulating the video because I can't hit the broad side of a barn.

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah I get them from time to time. Not all the time, and not super-reliably but now and then. I'm not particularly good at the game overall but I've found I've got used to eyeballing the zeroing and stuff for targets 1-300m away when I'm using a red dot. Helps also if the target is not moving around too much or running directly toward/away from you so you don't have to lead.

You can legit snipe with a K98 and a red dot if you have to - of course you're not gonna be as reliable as with a scope and if somebody further away is in a sniper battle with you and has a scope they'll likely win, but if you believe in yourself and you have half decent judgement of bullet drop then you can get kills easier than you might think.

I really like the red dot on most guns to be honest. I can ADS with the red dot and not lose all my peripheral vision or have to take a sec to readjust my vision when that smudge off in the distance jumps out at me from 600m away like I do with an 8x. If I can see someone with the red dot, then they're in my range, if I need an 8x to see them, then I ain't gonna hit them anyway.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

I'm the idiot with only 8gb who claims to not have any trouble with this game. But don't listen to this because I'm itching to upgrade anyways.

Me too! I don't seem to have any problems, but maybe my frames are low (I'm too old to distinguish between 40fps and 60fps) and that's why I lose so many firefights? It must be that

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Scoss posted:

At this point the common wisdom I've heard so much is "once you get your basic gear, don't hide in a bathtub, go hunt other players!", but that usually manifests as me getting murdered by a camper in a second floor window as I'm running down an alleyway.

How do you guys strike that balance between playing aggressively and waiting for opportunities when you are in an unsafe situation?

I think the point of that advice isn't that it's the most succesful strategy in terms of staying alive til the end, it's supposed to be used to give you the practice in firefights to get better. Striking the balance just comes with time and experience.

It's also given as "advice" by players who are really good at these types of games, and want all the noobs like me to play super aggressive so they can (even more) easily kill me.

Edit: btw, why does everyone assume that if you got killed out of nowhere from somebody in a house that that guy must have been "camping"? He could just as easily (probably even more likely tbh) have been on the 2nd floor of a house looting or whatever and happened to look out a window and saw you. Even if you open a door in a house and someone crouched in the corner behind the door blows your head off, it doesn't mean he was camping. If you hear someone come into the house you're already in, it makes alot of sense to set a trap for them. That's not really "camping" either imo. I think camping happens alot less in this game than people think, it's just an excuse people use when they get killed sometimes.

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 25, 2017

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
I guess it's just a (very) vocal minority that insist that everyone follows their "pistols at high noon" philosophy :shrug:

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Scoss posted:

Well, I'm not actually mad about campers and I have no interest in "blaming" them, nor do I care if they were waiting for 10 seconds or 10 minutes. Also I'm here literally asking for advice on how do to better, so I'm obviously holding myself responsible for my own blunders.

I will try being a little more cautious with my movements in areas that I suspect still have baddies in them. It's easy to get the wrong idea about being "aggressive" and thinking that means sprinting around like a madman. Watching Shroud get away with that kind of thing probably doesn't help, we certainly can't all play like him.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was criticizing you, it's just something I've noticed people say alot in shooter games. I just always assume if I die in a video game that I did something wrong, or the other guy was just better than me that time (and most other times as well).

And yeah, watching a guy like Shroud and trying to do what he does is like watching Lebron James play basketball and trying to do what he does in your next pickup game. You're not good enough to do that stuff, and you're just likely to make yourself look stupid trying it. I treat that stuff as entertainment that has little to do with making me better.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Wait, low level players are sniping streams in order to hop into games that streamers do and driving vehicles around the complexes they are in and honking at them? This is the complaint?

That owns. Why don't the ungodly streaming guys just murder the honking people and get a chicken dinner?

They do for the most part. This is a problem that affects like 0.00001% of the playing population, it doesn't even matter. Most of the popular streamers are so good at aiming and clicking that you could throw up a flare at their location to tell everyone exactly where they are at all times and they'd still kill 10 guys before going down, and that would make for interesting viewing on Twitch.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't know how you all constantly get people yelling racial slurs, I've heard two or three in maybe 60 games, and my avatar is black.

It's really only one or two people per match at most, often times none. Because they are, I'm assuming, 14yr old boys who think saying the n-word is edgy, they certainly are quite loud about it, as 14yr old boys tend to be when they learn a new swear.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Regrettable posted:

I tried the Asia server last night and got my easiest top ten so far, but it didn't count in my stats for some reason. Also, I had someone sprint directly at the front of my buggy and try to pull off a headshot with a pistol at the last second. It did not end well for them.

The stats are server dependant, you may not have been looking at your stats from the Asia server? Did you wait long enough for the match to finish as well?

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Stealthgerbil posted:

Its even more intense to win by shooting every fucker you see.

For 10 seconds at a time until you die and have to start a new match.

I go 50-50 between playing aggressive and stealthy, and they're both fun in different ways. The stealthy one lasts longer tho, because I, like alot of people, don't have quick enough reflexes to shoot at everyone and actually win that way.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
I haven't really noticed any of the sounds being too loud or painful, do you guys all use $500 headsets that crank the volume up to 11 or something? My mediocre headset doesn't get loud enough that the plane or gunshots are too loud :shrug:

And the sound is loud enough to hear footsteps clearly, probably 50% of my solo kills come from hearing steps and waiting for the guy to come into the building I'm looting and lighting him up.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Shroud went on to say that the longest he's gone on a video-game streak without going outside was 2.5 months while living with his dad. dude is basically a video game monk

At that point, it's not monk-like, it's a crippling case of agoraphobia.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
The desert map looks pretty cool so far, tho I've only played a couple quick drops in the big city. Seems like there's a lot of open spaces even in the crowded city, wide open plaza's and such. The sawed off shotgun is going to be a useful pistol slot weapon, tho I just took 4 shots at a guy at close range with it and missed every one while he killed me with an S12K, so at least my terrible aim has crossed over to the new game build

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

Maybe it’s just RNG for me, but I’ve had a tough time finding them. Judging by the amount of people getting blue zoned, I’m can’t be too alone.

I would assume alot of people are getting blue zoned because they're either not used to the map or are simply exploring it and finding out where things are/what strategies to use; I wouldn't read too much into it when the map has been available for less than a week. All the loot and vehicle spawn complaints will fade out once people figure out where things spawn.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Philman posted:

the bug where everyone gets dumped out of the plane at the same time needs to be put in the main game.

When it happened to me, I immediately thought that 1 in 10 or 20 games should randomly drop everyone at the same time.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

knees of putty posted:

I like the new map because it’s different, but not necessarily better. I like the 20% of games on the old map, just to see a bit of green for a change.

The visual aesthetic of the new map suits the style of gameplay much better than the original map I find. It feels desolate and post-apocalyptic, which is the type of environment I would imagine this type of game should exist in. For those of us (all of us probably?) who are always paranoid about being shot out of nowhere from 500m away while running across an open field, we should love the terrain undulations that allow you to get cover quickly even when there's very few trees around. There's actual strategy and tactics in those open area encounters, it's not just "say 3 Hail Mary's and pray you make it across this 500m of completely flat open field before someone sees you, because otherwise you're hosed" like what happens alot on Erangel.

And I like that there seems to be less (or more spread out) loot - it makes what you do find that much more valuable. It's supposed to be a survival game, being able drop and find a good AR and sniper with attachments, lvl 2 gear, a bunch of health and a UAZ within 3 mins like you can usually do on Erangel removes the "survival" element to a certain extent.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Yeah there are a million legitimate complaints about this game, but fact remains thay if you don’t loving suck, you score in top 5 consistently. That being said, I have no idea what world some people ITT live in where this game is non stop cheaters and high ping shots that shouldn’t work.

I am not dumb, of course I think that this game is really shittily made and would benefit from competent devs, but jesus christ, reading these pages gives insight into some loving bizarro world that I’ve yet to see in my 200 hours. I can’t think of a time I met someone who is positively cheating, or whose ping decided the chicken dinner.
I play daily with a squad that often has one aussie, two europeans, and one american and when we die, we die to being owned. On the other hand, we don’t suck so we win a bunch.

Ease up a bit, and focus on shooting and moving and winning. Stick together, don’t over extend, watch out for the zone.

Odds are that you whiners just loving suck.

Everything after the bolded sentence is all cool and whatnot (tho a little aggressive), but how do you say that 95% of the player base sucks? Isn't that illogical? Consistently getting into the top 5% of a game is an awfully high bar to set for "not sucking".

But yeah, people whine about cheaters/the refs in every competitive game or sport, it's what humans do. I've just learned to tune out most of the whining about cheaters and "game breaking" bugs (that never break the game). Gamers love to bring up the one time 3 weeks ago that they died to what they thought might have been a bug, and claim the game is broken because of it, all while continuing to play it for 5hrs a day.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Jarmak posted:

Oh so everyone sucks besides you because you don't see any cheaters but you don't even play the game mode we're talking about.

I play mostly TPP, both solo and squads, and I haven't seen an obvious cheater in weeks. Both live and test.

You claim to see 2 or 3 every night.

It could be that you are just unlucky and I've been fortunate enough to get into matches that just don't have cheaters on them. Alternatively, I could be lovely enough at shooters to just not recognize when someone is using hacks (a distinct possibility, I'm...not great. Hell I can barely consistently get into the top 5 every single match, which is apparently the new standard for "not sucking"). Another alternative is that you're somewhat overestimating how often you see hacks - you're going to remember every time you die to an obvious hack, and you're going to focus on that and blow it up in your mind so that all you remember are the games you got hacked and forget about the 25 matches you had in between those games.

Probably it's some combination of those three alternatives. What I do know, however, is that not focusing on how many times I see hackers allows me to not see so many hackers and just enjoy the game. Your way seems a bit more stressful and frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

patonthebach posted:

Sucking is a problem and lots of people just get mad when they lose legit, but there are a mass of cheaters again since 1.0 . And I dont think thats even arguable. Whether its 1% of your deaths or 25% of deaths is hard to say, but to say its not happening is just ridiculous. Cheating might be the biggest problem this game faces right now.

There is a huge difference between 1% and 25% that can't be just handwaved away. 1% is the absolute bare minimum level of cheating you can expect from even the most well run competitive game with the best anti-cheat programs. 25% makes a game literally worthless to play. Cheating is certainly happening in PUBG, probably at a higher than average rate, but nowhere near a game breaking level, at least for me. It's an insanely popular game and is going to attract alot of attention from hackers and cheaters.

I don't think cheating is a huge problem for the game, but that doesn't mean I don't think it's happening at all. I don't focus much attention on it, so maybe I don't notice the times I've died to a hacker. Which is fine tbh, I still enjoyed the game blissfully unaware of it, and just get motivated to do better next game. Or at least not to throw myself off a cliff next game.

• Locked thread