Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Human Crouton posted:

Does Evil Morty have any real conflict with Rick C137? Evil Morty never actually targeted C137. They only crossed paths because The Citadel naively blamed C137 for Evil Morty's crimes.

Evil Morty could be pissed at C137 for ruining his original plan, but he seems too pragmatic to actually seek revenge on a enemy that doesn't even give a poo poo that he exists.
There's no way Evil Morty isn't C137's original Morty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's obvious. Our Rick is the reason Evil Morty is evil. He's likely our Rick's original Morty. It's why he treats our Morty like poo poo to keep him in his place.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

empty whippet box posted:

But the rick and morty of the show are both c-137, unless that's a lie. Which it could be.
Is it ever explained if C-137 is the show's universe, or the show's previous, now-Cronenberged universe?

That notwithstanding, a lie would be involved, but it's not like Rick never lies.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Evil Morty's Rick was the Rick we saw in that episode. He was being controlled as an electronic puppet by Evil Morty, but he was still a Rick once upon a time.
But how do you know that was his original Rick?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Barry Bluejeans posted:

They keep saying something about the "Central Finite Curve," which is probably the way's show of addressing that without actually addressing it.
It's perfect. I can conjure up images of exactly what it is, and they work for me, but the show doesn't have to dwell on it, and other viewers can imagine it themselves.

It's the kind of Star Wars explanation for a thing that would later get ruined by a tie-in novel (or a prequel movie) by loving explaining it.

QuoProQuid posted:

Reverse Rick Outrage was dressed like the "Rent Is Too drat High" guy, but was Rick Guilt Rick supposed to be a reference to anything?
White guilt.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Its really just the math concept of cardinality of infinite sets.
I'm not a math guy. I just pictured it as the space between two variablues of infinite universes where the universes were similar enough to have a Rick and Morty. Anything outside of that wouldn't have them, and the farther you get out from each end of the finite curve, the more you're gonna' get blender dimension and dimension of butts.

But the show didn't have to explain it. It gave me the tools to come up with something satisfying for myself, and then just leaves it there. I don't need The Force explained by miticlorians. The answer to "how does the force work" is "very well, thank you."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

maskenfreiheit posted:

just thought of something: while there are infinite universes, there isn't infinite time to explore them all

so Rick saying they can only pull this off a few more times can totally jive with an infinite worlds theory.
There are infinite worlds. There aren't infinite worlds with Ricks and Morties, is how I interpret it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That doesn't make any sense, if there are infinite world then by definition there are infinite ricks and morties.
Did Butt World produce a Rick and a Morty? No. Because only so many worlds produce Ricks and Morties. And that's the finite curve. With the caveat that even outside of the finite curve, there are Ricks and Morties. They're just so different from our RIcks and Morties as to not count to the citadel. This was explicitly stated this episode. Woodworking RIck existed outside of the finite curve.

Infinity on this side_________________First world to produce a RIck and a Morty ———————————— ALL WORLDS THAT PRODUCE RICKS AND MORTIES ————————————— Last world to Produce a RIck and a Morty_____________________________________Infinity on this side too.

That's the central finite curve, again, with the caveat that some border worlds produce Ricks and Morties so unlike our RIcks and Morties that they don't really count to the citadel. Beyond that, there'd be another border of realities that don't produce Ricks or Morties at all.

That's why it's a finite curve. Within the infinite universes, there are a limited number of universes close enough to our own to produce Ricks and Morties. That number, however, could be functionally infinite in the way that .99999999999999=1, but now we get into the difference between linguistics and mathematics. Mathematically, .99999999999999 totally equals one, but linguistically, it doesn't, and linguists will argue one way, and mathematicians will argue the other, and they'll both be right from within their own framework.

Then you have to consider that even infinity is a linguistic construct, and that if every decision ever made is when universes branch, there are a finite number of decisions that could ever be made, even if the number is so inconceivable as to appear infinite, but it wouldn't truly be infinite, because it would be quantifiable to a being with enough time and distance and energy to discern.

Long story short, none of this matters, beyond how fun it is to think about.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Except Rick himself says that he has 'infinite grandkids'

LividLIquid posted:

Then you have to consider that even infinity is a linguistic construct, and that if every decision ever made is when universes branch, there are a finite number of decisions that could ever be made, even if the number is so inconceivable as to appear infinite, but it wouldn't truly be infinite, because it would be quantifiable to a being with enough time and distance and energy to discern.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm just sayin'. We've been told there's a finite curve. Which means infinity exists outside of what is explicitly called finite.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Crabtree posted:

So how likely is it that Evil Morty was C-137's original "cocky" Morty?
Been saying this.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm honestly wondering if the fans of this show being terrible is going to change how they make the show. I mean, it can't not, right? Once you figure out that terrible people are drawn to your art because they see themselves in it, you'd probably start second-guessing lines of dialog like the aforementioned evil/smart line.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

A completely wrong history of the internet and fandom
Dude, I was on BBSes. Usenet. Prodigy. Compuserv. AOL chat rooms. poo poo has been this way the whole time.

It's nerds arguing about nerd stuff and bullying and Nazis looking for other Nazis and spreading hatred and it has been the whole time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

kickascii posted:

Was Megan Ganz the one responsible for the season5 finale? Good god, that episode was an abomination. I cant believe Dan would have a crush on such a hack.
What the gently caress is wrong with you?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Typical posted:

Hello Goons. No word on rick and Morty stuff but please continue to watch our youtube channel about animation. Since I know you guys love cartoons so much. Today I have two things for you

I've been working on a personal project for a few months now. So please enjoy this 90 second short film I made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGjkZUqfAd0
That rack focus was the poo poo!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So, wait. What was with that Morty reveal at the end?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

crazy cloud posted:

um, hello. clarissa explains it all, all that, ren & stimpy, are you afraid of the dark
That Snick lineup never happened. You've confused All That with Roundhouse.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

South Park's central thesis is that caring about anything but your own selfish desires is dumb and bad.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Trey Parker has written every single episode of South Park, if Six Days to Air is to be believed.

Which isn't to say that you're wrong about the quality dipping when he's distracted.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It isn't fan art if you're charging for it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kinda' disappointed we yadda yaddad past last season's cliffhanger.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Shindragon posted:

I'm assuming he means if this Beth is the real one or the clone.
She, and no. Rick was estranged from the family. He was suddenly back, and we can infer what happened between with what they gave us, sure, but that's my problem. I didn't want to yadda yadda past that.

It's like if the "we're at Shoneys and everything's fine now" turned out to be real.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Shindragon posted:

Oh fair and my bad on the pronouns.
No worries. Thank you.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If characters don't grow and change and nothing important ever happens to them, why would we ever get invested or care?

I like jokey jokes as much as the next gal, but even loving Homestar Runner characters grew and changed.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Or maybe women can write gendered slurs without being part of the patriarchy
You don't understand how patriarchy works.

And that episode was a giant bummer and I'm tired of watching cynicism win out because that's just every day of everybody's life now, so if this doesn't culminate with some plot about how our Rick created evil Morty and is on track to do it again or something, this is gonna' be my least favorite episode ever.

Last season ended with the show rightly siding against Rick's worst impulses and then we yadda yaddad past that development with one line of dialog in the premiere when it would've been way more interesting to explore it and now we're just playing them for laughs again and if people don't grow or change, why am I watching this? People being cruel just because "lol cruelty" isn't funny anymore. Particularly not when it's an old white bigoted rear end in a top hat who thinks he's too smart for anything he thinks to be wrong.

How do you watch videos of your fans torturing McDonald's employees and eating McNugget sauce off of the dirty ground and not learn that maybe you're cultivating the wrong audience?

Please be going somewhere with this, but even if they are, this is a bad idea.

Garfu posted:

Hey did you guys know Dan Harmon was the voice of Heistotron and Elon Tusk??
The first credit was actual Elon Musk. Can you do that, wrt union rules and lawsuits?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The guy lost more money than anyone you ever know will ever have and he still has more money than everyone you ever know will ever have. That's not an advantage, it's a vampiric dragon masquerading as a family...

To put this in perspective, if I started when Columbus sailed for America and gave you $1000 of 2019 US currency every single day, you would need another 2000 years to have even one billion dollars, let alone the massive wealth that people like Elon Musk or the Waltons hoard...
This. I can't loving believe people who stick up for billionaires.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Okay, sure, but considering how many of the shittiest people on Earth right now watch these things and think the bad guy is the good guy, maybe we could stop telling stories about geniuses being cruel because it makes every cruel person think they're a genius.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Motherfucker posted:

I just watched the first episode of the new season and its like watching your dad try and walk back 30 years of casual racism and you're gritting your teeth because... its better but its not good and they're like 'Liberalism, good stuff amirite' and you're like rubbing your loving temples like... "I guess??"
It's dumb that you're getting dogpiled, because yeah. It was exactly this.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

https://twitter.com/Bee_Kirby/status/1202352647145082880?s=19

I mean...

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I honestly don’t think entertainers are under any sort of social responsibility to explain their moral compass to their fans.
And yet whenever I point put the problems with showing toxic people being badasses, people feel compelled to argue with me about it instead of letting my opinion be harmless.

Almost like they think words and ideas actually matter.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This doesn't really follow - people respond to your opinion because you wrote about it on a discussion board. One can simultaneously believe that Dan Harmon has no obligation to explain himself and still be interested in discussing how you feel about it.
My point is that a stunningly large portion of the population will argue that ideas seen in media have no effect on how people make up their minds about things. Like, seeing racism doesn't make one racist.

But if this were true, ideas seen on social media wouldn't be exempt, and they wouldn't feel the need to argue.

But it's obvious that they don't actually believe it even before extending it to social media, because the people who use the argument to defend things like racism in media go absolutely apoplectic when a main character in a Star War is black or a woman. So, y'know, they clearly think representation matters and have concluded that only they should have representation.

In the case of Rick and Morty, decades (or centuries, really) of geniuses in media being portrayed as cruel has convinced every cruel person that they're a genius. And we should stop doing that so goddamned always.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

If Bugs Bunny cartoons came out today you’d ask him to finish the episode with a prolonged “violence is never the answer” monologue so the kids would understand not to dress up like Opera Vikings and seduce their enemies into traps where you can effectively kill them with a mallet
No I wouldn't, you're being willfully obtuse, and you don't ev n have a point here beyond making up a thing I didn't do and being mad about it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Once again, anyone on Earth who gets their political or personal ideologies from cartoons are people you should just go out of your way to avoid engaging with,
Tell that to the McDonald's employees.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Can somebody explain to my why I should keep caring about any of this if we're going to jettison everything that's happened before now?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

This show killed off every single character and then rebooted itself into an identical replacement universe, where they buried their own clones, and Morty reflected on that and said

“Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”

Why should you care??
You're actually proving my point. That could've been a throwaway gag that they never mentioned again after the Cronenberg world, but it became a really important part of Morty's story. So much that several episodes later, he laments the fact to his sister.

This season, more than any other, seems to be ignoring every development that's happened before now. Last season ended with Rick being kicked out of the family. This season began with him being yadda yaddad back into the status quo.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

:psyduck: WTF. I didn't know other people did this.
Holy poo poo! I had no idea I wasn't alone! :psyduck:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sometimes the internet is an awful place that coddles and rewards nazis.

But sometimes the internet is a wonderful place where you learn you're not alone about weird childhood compulsions.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

World War Mammories posted:

so who can say if its bad or not,
Did my glibness not come through and you're telling me off, or are you riffing on the thing I was doing there?

Because for the record, I will punch a fuckin' nazi.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jonas Albrecht posted:

No saying about dick size not mattering is true.
In my experience, most people who think this are people who think having a big dick makes you good in bed.

Spare me from ever having that experience ever again, please and thank you.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But not redheads. Ick!

EDIT:

I ain't gonna' go so far as to say comic books are bad, since I've been a fan of the medium for several decades...

But comic writers and editors are definitely bad.

Imagine putting "the rare-ish color of your hair, which is tied to your genes, makes you gross" into a medium currently dying because it continuously fails to make new, young fans, despite being what must at this point be the most successful IP on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TheFattestPat posted:

It has everything to do with tons of low quality crap and politics being inserted into everything.