Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

Bring back Caroline

I really don't know how Justine and Caroline re-fused to become such a black hole of personality. RIP perfect murder twins ;__;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The top three definitely check out but it gets more dubious the lower it goes, what the heck is with that Sojiro placement???

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also Mishima is somehow above No-Good Tora. This will not stand.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Controversial thought: scruffy teacher Kamakami is cuter than done up maid Kamakami

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Clarste posted:

Yes, change won't happen that easily, but you also just killed a giant god that was specifically standing in the way of that change, so it should happen more easily at least. Also, Sae doesn't leave because she's disgusted by corruption. Or at least I certainly don't recall her saying anything like that. She just decided that she could do more good on the other side of the court. Note that this is immediately after she successfully charges Shido for his crimes, indicating that the prosecution is still a necessary force for good. Like, literally your entire plan as the Phantom Thieves was to get the villains arrested and tried in court with a confession, so it's not like you don't trust the system at all.

In both Shido and Kamoshida's cases action is only taken against them once they've willingly(!?) confessed their crimes publicly and the state no longer has any plausible excuse for ignoring their crimes and even then the authorities are more frustrated that their hand was forced into acting than that the crimes themselves were committed, the Phantom Thieves' main trick through the game is forcing institutions into acting the way they claim they want to but very clearly don't. Again, I don't see any evidence that this has changed by the end of the game, the Phantom Thieves are still considered enemies of society and treated as such even after it's revealed they saved Japan from the brink of disaster Joker is still sent to jail for his trouble until he's freed by the reawakened decency of normal people

As for Sae's reasons for leaving, I guess I'm extrapolating a little from her experiences in being stonewalled in her investigations and finding out the widespread conspiracy among the police and prosecution service to torture and and murder a minor, but I thought it was pretty clear she no longer had faith in the system as a whole and was only able to prosecute Shido as given the circumstances it was impossible not to prosecute him.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Clarste posted:

I thought that was obvious.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think that's controversial.

In this case, I am glad to be proved incorrect

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Clarste posted:

It's implied that she worked extremely hard to prosecute Shido and still only managed to nail him for the most minor of his crimes (bribery, etc). Because the evidence of the metaverse and all that simply didn't exist. It certainly wasn't "impossible not to" get him. A confession is meaningless if you can't show the court how it was even possible. Causality, which she mentions several times.

Joker was sent to jail for breaking the terms of his probation, and was freed when it was proven that he never did the thing that put him on probation in the first place. The idea being that even if he saved society from Shido, that doesn't earn him a free get-out-of-jail card, nor should it. In other words, that wasn't an example of injustice, it was an example of the system working exactly as it was supposed to. As Sae herself puts it, they live in a society governed by law, and that's supposed to be a good thing. People have abused the law to their own ends, and that's bad, but they should be punished for that within the law. That's her perspective even right up to the very end. Frankly, her whole arc is about her regaining a belief in justice, not giving up on it.

I'd have to disagree Joker going to juvie was anything other than a farce, which he did only to save the rest of the team. As you say, there's no proof the Metaverse existed or he actually did anything to change anyone's heart, the only thing the state can stick on him is possession of an airsoft gun and writing libelous open letters to people which turn out not to be libelous at all, the fact that the authorities comes down so hard on him has nothing to do with justice and everything to do with punishing someone who dared to show up the state. Similarly, Sae asks Joker to turn himself in not because it's the right thing but because it'll keep her sister and the others from being arrested along with him, even she's aware there's nothing fair or just about the situation he's been placed in.

Even when Joker is freed, it's not because of a fair and transparent investigation which determined he had done no wrong, it's because his actions had inspired other people to action leading to the initial testimony against him being withdrawn. Any justice in the game occurs in spite of the state's best efforts, not because of it, even going into the epilogue.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fusing then:

Fusing now:

X

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Ryuji is cool but there were parts of the game I wanted to pin him against the wall and kiss him tell him to STFU about Phantom Thieves stuff in public

Its worth it for that scene where Matoko is grilling you and you're trying to deflect her when Ryuji calls up and loudly shouts HEY LET'S GO TO OUR SECRET HIDEOUT TO PLAN CRIMES BECAUSE WE'RE THE PHANTOM THIEVES down the line.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What the christ

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Metallia posted:

Persona 5 is just Chaos Route Lite

Akira Kurusu will be spared when Demi-Fiend destroys his reality

I don't think Demifiend would have much of a choice after Joker kicks his rear end with Satanael

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Did Mishima disappear for anyone else after Haru's dad died died in October, or did I screw up somehow? I never actually finished his social link as he only turned up again immediately before the endgame for me.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sacrificial Toast posted:

He moves to Akihabara after you unlock that location. It's a bit out of the way on the map, so maybe you didn't see it? The only other reason would be that you didn't do enough missions in Mementos.

It must have been because I sacked on Mementos. Given it happened after the public turned against the Phantom Thieves I honestly assumed it's because he was too busy melting down and deleting comments on his website. Kinda sad that not the case now really...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

Could be. I thought the final battle version of "Burn My Dread" actually did a great job of selling that, though--it's tense and heroic at the same time, it's utterly perfect for that final fight. I think they could pull off something that fits with the game's musical style but also sells the "holy poo poo we're fighting the closest thing our universe probably has to a god" thing.

I should also note that I thought the final battle theme for Persona 4 was good even if it dropped the game's main musical style, but that's specifically because it has fully seven minutes of nothing but dread and foreboding strings and percussion leading up to a really triumphant orchestral version of "Reach Out to the Truth" and that sold the whole thing for me. Maybe if Persona 5's final boss theme had somehow incorporated "Life Will Change" or something I'd be more positive because I'm a sucker for recurring musical motifs.

P%'s final boss theme really suffers for also being like a minute long before looping, it sounds like something that should play briefly in a hopeless boss battle before the party rally and the battle begins in proper (which I guess technically is the case, but considering the next phase is an instant-win QTE it's not really much of a consolation).

Really it would have been nice to have an extended straight fight with Yalbadaoth along with a proper final boss theme to compliment it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Moltrey posted:

I have no idea how true it was, but there was always that quote going around that said that YHVH being such a ruthless, crushing entity was symptomatic of some bigger problem in the universe

Man is the real monster, for wishing such an entity into being

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

I much preferred the approach of being Akechi's only friend because it made the joy of eventually stabbing him in the back all the sweeter.

I really enjoyed being nice to Akechi and playing out the whole 'You know, I know you know, you I know you know, etc' game whilst being unfailing polite and gentlemanly in my conduct. Also I think the dialogue for his boss fight works better if you have been treating him with respect and the offer to wipe the slate clean and team up for real feels genuine.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Moltrey posted:

akechi was, is, and will be a sweet child of god

Moltrey, you've got to cut it out with idolising all these dashing anime serial killers

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SJ states you literally have to be mentally ill to side with Law. Law freaking sucks!!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Persona 5 is cool because you get the cool 'rebel angel who sides with humanity against the Great Authority' side of Lucifer without any of his problematic 'unmake creation an usher in an age of eternal darkness' agenda

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

The sixth palace exists and that's the theme that stuck with you?

Shido's palace theme has a really cool sinister majesty, it's not quite Whims of Fate but it's still really good.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHcA3XS2nPs

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

drat, that's good

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ajkalan posted:

I thought final Shido form looked more like a Dragon Ball guy than Armstrong, personally.

Mainline Dragon Ball bad guys usually look super sleek and and refined in their final forms! What you mean is he looks like Broly.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

He's supposed to be the most beautiful right? But all the other angels are loving freaks made of wheels and eyes and leftover parts so really the bar to get over is quite low.

To be fair even if the other Angels weren't all bizarre freaks, Helel would win hands down. Heck, maybe even Lucifer too ...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Moltrey posted:

this is fine

Pillar or Judge, she's not gonna put out

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Someone in this thread or the other said that your Shadow self is an exaggeration and that if the villains met their shadow selves they would disagree with them. Shido would totally high five the poo poo out of his shadow self

There's basically no distinction in personality between Shido and his Shadow and as a result his Shadow's demonic form is far less distorted than any of the others and basically just an idealised version of himself, I thought it was a clever touch.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

I kinda think it still works, maybe even for Kamoshida. I think if he saw the way his Shadow was talking and acting even he'd think it was over the top. Then again, maybe he'd just be jealous of his Shadow's personal bikini Ann, I dunno.

But also after Madarame, the only Shadow who transforms into something truly monstrous is Shadow Sae who, like Moltrey pointed out, is something that the real Sae would absolutely recoil from. Kaneshiro just gets bug eyes but his "big monster" form is just a giant piggy bank he pilots. Futaba's Shadow stays in human form all the way up until it pulls a Persona 4 and becomes her Persona. Okumura's Shadow isn't physically very distorted and, at the same time, is just a more honest version of how the real Okumura acts every day.

Yeah, it's not a hard and fast rule but most of the heist targets have some level of cognitive dissonance separating their conscious personalities from their Shadows and the ones with the biggest gulfs have the weirdest bosses (Kamoshida, Madarame, Sae), whereas Shido appears to be wholly consumed by his desires to the point that he and his Shadow are pretty much one and the same, thus his boss fight being a much more authentic depiction of himself.

Lakbay posted:

Who DOESN'T like Yusuke?

Who genuinely likes Mishima?

I feel a sympathetic pity towards Mishima. I never dunked on him because nothing could be worse than being himself.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Shogeton posted:

Trying to think of famous 'law enforcers' who ended up going rogue and joining thieves.

Cloud Strife

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

On further reflection I guess all the big food/party scenes are paid for by Treasure or other sources so w/e

Still doesn't change my main criticism of him though, which is that there's never any sense that the rest of the gang actually likes him. Like they let him into the group because he's a Phantom Thief and they tolerate his presence, but his relevance to the main plot disappears after Madarame and for the rest of the game he's just kind of there. He's just this weird aloof guy that the rest of the gang occasionally dunks on when he speaks because all he ever says is weird aloof poo poo. Everyone else seems like they could at least be friends outside of Phantom Thievery, but I'm not seeing it for him.

The weirdest psychosis

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

the most sincere goro is ever is when he says 'did i hear something about delicious pancakes'

I bet Goro doesn't even like pancakes, the little sycophant

Bogart posted:

The most sincere Goro ever gets is when he's like 'ahhh i'm dying the other me shot me ahhh' and then he dies.

Definitely this

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Moltrey posted:

what the gently caress

He also says he likes justice and spicy food.

Lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Moltrey posted:

A neat thing I found while looking into our friend Yuuki Mishima, is that some believe he's a reference to author Yukio Mishima, who wrote a famous book, Confessions of a Mask. A book about an awkward, weak boy struggling to fit into Japanese society while discovering he's gay. I bring this up because the author almost has the exact same name as Mishima, the story is quite similar to Mishima's and the book has the word Mask in the title

Wikipedia posted:

Mishima was active as a nationalist and founded his own right-wing militia. He is remembered for his ritual suicide by seppuku after a failed coup d'état attempt, known as the "Mishima Incident".

On November 25, 1970, Mishima and four members of the Tatenokai, under pretext, visited the commandant of the Ichigaya Camp, the Tokyo headquarters of the Eastern Command of Japan's Self-Defense Forces.[18] Inside, they barricaded the office and tied the commandant to his chair. With a prepared manifesto and a banner listing their demands, Mishima stepped onto the balcony to address the soldiers gathered below. His speech was intended to inspire a coup d'état to restore the power of the emperor. He succeeded only in irritating the soldiers, and was mocked and jeered. He finished his planned speech after a few minutes, returned to the commandant's office and committed seppuku. The assisting kaishakunin duty at the end of this ritual (to decapitate Mishima) had been assigned to Tatenokai member Masakatsu Morita, who was unable to properly perform the task. After several failed attempts at severing Mishima's head, he allowed another Tatenokai member, Hiroyasu Koga, to behead Mishima. Morita then knelt and stabbed himself in the abdomen and Koga again performed the kaishakunin duty. This coup is called "Mishima jiken" (三島事件?, "Mishima Incident") in Japan.

The name sure has some, uh, pedigree ...

• Locked thread