Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Waxmane Baku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I want two sets of Rigging Runner.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

LordAbaddon posted:

...pileofcombos.dec against a bunch of newbies just starting out in edh with a bunch of bad midrange decks and precons and loudly reminiscing about the Regan presidency the whole time.
:stare:
Surely the Reagan thing is an embellishment?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
It'd probably be okay to unban Snuggler's Copter now that Ligtning Strike and Abrade are both in the format. Right?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Angry Grimace posted:

There's no such thing as insider trading in Magic that makes no sense.

Starcity Games and the Zendikar fetches.

Aside from some less-than-ideal card choices, I don't think the legacy pirates deck looked unplayably bad? I play burn and would never ever ever want to get paired up against that troll pile.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Or maybe look into Skred for myself?
If you like playing mono red control, I recommend it. Turn 3 Koth is my favorite play beside turn 1 Steel Overseer.

Edit to clarify: I favor Mind Stone over SSG because, even though a potential turn 1 Blood Moon or turn 2 Koth is game-breaking, it is absolutely not worth having a playset of Grey Ogre lurking in my deck waiting to ambush me with disappointment when I need fliers or burn.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 3, 2017

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Modern FNM, ran more or less stock Affinity but with Lightning Bolts. I'm really not sure why people haven't tried Bolt already, it's amazing. 3-1, lost to Bant Spirits. Spirits is such a bullshit deck.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

uninverted posted:

Pretty sure lightning bolt is only better than galvanic blast in games that you could never, ever win.

AlternateNu posted:

How many time do you find yourself in a situation where Bolt is noticeably better than Galvanic Blast?
Efb;

ThePeavstenator posted:

Affinity doesn't run Lightning Bolts because Galvanic Blast exists.

Hold onto your loving asses. Y'all ready for this poo poo?
I run both. :unsmigghh:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

AlternateNu posted:

That's a whooooooooole lot of non-artifact slots.

Nearly twice the regulation amount, in fact! I could only find 3 last night so I only ran 3, but when I find the last one, I'll make room for it too! I'm not using the set that's in Skred.

4 Arcbound Ravager
3 Master of Etherium
3 Memnite
4 Ornithopter
4 Signal Pest
4 Steel Overseer
4 Vault Skirge
4 Cranial Plating
4 Mox Opal
3 Springleaf Drum
4 Galvanic Blast
3 Lightning Bolt
4 Blinkmoth Nexus
4 Darksteel Citadel
2 Glimmervoid
4 Inkmoth Nexus
1 Mountain
1 Spire of Industry
-
1 Ancient Grudge
1 Back to Nature
2 Etched Champion
1 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Ghirapur Aether Grid
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Nullmage Shepherd
2 Spellskite
1 Walking Ballista
1 Wear // Tear
1 Whipflare
1 more thing

Sideboard needs to get retooled a little, and I may not run the 4th copy after all, but that's what FNM is for; a low-stakes testing ground for completely bonkers builds.
One fellow piloted a Shared Fate deck to a 2-2 finish. :3:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

If this lets me use Earthquake to take out more than one opposing planeswalker and still damage my opponent, I'm really quite fond of this change. Also they need to release some promo foil Alpha Lightning Bolts to celebrate, since the text will then be correct.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Pumps, basically, and keeping a good hand. Rancor + critters oughtta work in most situations. If you don't play Aspect of Hydra, Rhonas's Last Stand is a good include, I think.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
It's me, I'm the one who's been running Back to Nature in my board for a year. After reading this thread, I think I want a second. And I will start mainig two Nissa Stewards. In Affinity.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Carl Killer Miller posted:

What are some good lands to get into if you're starting off modern?

Fetches, shocks, fastlands, manlands, checks, pains, etc for your deck of choice. If aggro, prioritise fastlands, shocks and pains. If control, fetches and shocks. Do you know which deck you'll play or what color(s)?

Trip report, "Affinity", 3-0-1

Round 1: Death and Taxes, his game never really comes together and I run him over with small critters, especially fliers. 2-0 After, he played burn and won handily.

Round 2: UW control, he never gets his sweepers in time and is unable to keep up with my tiny fliers, apparently the second time he's lost to to "Affinity," the other time
(last week) also my doing. 2-0

Round 3: Eldrazi Taxes, went to time in game 3 wherein I ran him over with Ravagers and a Master. Highlights of this match include losing a total of 8 cards to Gonti over the course of the match. What a frustrating experience. He got my loving Aether Grid AND Plating off a Wear // Tear he jacked from me. Goddamn. 2-1

Round 4: Split for 5 packs (12.5 store credit), gave him the token since I won a random. Funny how WotC is making sure there's enough promos at each store now that it's no longer a standard-legal eternally-playable spell on the line. 0-0-1

Takeaway: Nissa is indeed too spicy for my deck, I guess I'll go back to Bolts. Back to Nature once again an MVP as all of my opponents main 8-10 Paths. Maybe she can sideboard vs white since they'll make sure I get all my basics. :thunk:

Slowly but surely turning all of my money into store credit, :tenbux: at a time. MNgoons and neighboring state goons ought to get in on Regionals, November 4 at the Minneapolis Convention Centre, start time 10:, $40, modern.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mikujin posted:

Next time, you both may want to re-read Gonti and Wear//Tear.

Did just now, please elaborate?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Aha! Thank you. Now I'm REALLY glad I pulled that game out!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Count Bleck posted:

But can he teach me, a Merfolk player, how to make the matchup not horrid?

Do what I've been doing and cut your opponent into a series of unkeepable hands until he or she gives up and keeps Signal Pest, Blinkmoth, Opal.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

there's eleven.
The Snow-Covered ones, everyone who is as confused as I was for like 15 seconds.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Don't think they'd make a mega-polymorph counterspell.

A drat shame.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Testekill posted:

1) how exactly do Planeswalker cards function? Jace has three abilities and one of them has a -9 on it which I don't understand.
2) I got these two treasure cards in my booster packs which have different backs. What's the deal with them?
3) I got this double sided card. One side is Dowsing Dagger and the other is a land. The land side says that it transforms from Dowsing Dagger and I'm at a loss about how it's supposed to function

1) Play one ability of each Planeswalker you control each turn. The number bottom right is how many loyalty ot starts with, the + or - are how many counters are added or removed as a cost.
2) tokens, back not really relevant.
3) play dagger as equipment, transform when equipped creature hits opponent.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Have you considered being sterilized so you don't doom some poor kid to a life of having you as a parent living under capitalism?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Ban fetches, unban Top.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

myDad posted:

Anything new about the deck lists?

Not one of the top 8 at the time of the tourney, but an Infect player did get me on turn 2 or 3 the first game of our match. The other two I drew removal. Glistener Elf, Groundswell, Might of Old Krosa, Mutagenic Growth, I believe. Honestly, I wasn't paying a lot of attention, I forgot that was a thing Infect could do. Losing to Infect on turn 2 is far less tilting than losing to Lantern on turn 30.
Pretty much just jam toxic weenies and pump them all to high hell. I don't think my opponent had Become Immense, not sure if the free cantrip loss makes it less useful.

Edit to clarify: But certainly well after the Gitaxian Probe ban.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 30, 2017

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Reasonably sure it's Treasure Map.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I've done one rare redraft, it was in rtr and I pulled a foil deathrite. My last opponent was beating me and smugly said "I can't wait to get that card" so I said "suck my dick" and took my cards and left while the lgs owned yelled at me.

The end

While I can't condone :airquote:theft:airquote:, I can neither condemn your actions here. I have a pretty honed sense of fairplay, but gently caress that guy.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

OWLS! posted:

:10bux: rare-redraft drafts are the best for actually playing the game.

Raredrafting when there is prize support is fine tho.

Politifact rates this statement as: TRUE.

I didn't like redrafting at first, then I got better at draft and WotC got worse at printing valuable cards in sets, so now I'm pretty okay with it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Decklist?

E: nvm, got it. In this deck, if your opponent starts out with a leyline of sanctity do you just scoop that game? What in the sideboard deals with it?

Attack with Swans, use Seismic Assault to pitch lands at opposing critters when needed? Unless there's some peculiarity that makes this not work.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Most upsetting modern decks:
1. Lantern
2. Bant Spirits
3. As Foretold
4. Scapeshift (if only because the pilot invariably is a shady/sloppy fucker who tries his damnedest to conceal the precise quantity/state of his lands at all times (as well as forgetting exactly how many he's played each turn) generally short of outright having them in a perfect uniform stack)

Dishonorable Mention for Eldrazi (all kinds) and Tron (all kinds).

Edit to add:
Is it unreasonable to, going forward, make Scapeshift opponents play slowly and allow me to count publicly visible objects after each action he takes? 'Cause I really can't figure out another solution that isn't legally-actionable aggravated assault.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 25, 2017

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Spirits is everything awful about faeries except immune to Volcanic Fallout as well. gently caress Spirits.

Oh, and their 2/3 flying counterspell counters uncounterable spells.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

GeneX posted:

Spirits is fun to play both with and against so I'm not sure what the problem is, exactly

I'm also not sure why As Foretold is suddenly evil
What magical pile is this that doesn't lose to having its spells countered by creatures that can't be wiped by damage or wraths? To be clear, the compromise with blue has always been you have to pick between countering spells or playing creatures during your opponent's turn, with separate cards and the mana cost of separate cards, naturally restricting how many of your spells the little fuckers can counter. Nope! Whatever deck you describe, Spirits preys on it hard unless it's a turn 0 or 1 kill 'cause Queller can counter your 4-mana spell as early as turn 2.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I'm guessing the As Foretold deck that Tubgoat doesn't like is actually U/x Living End.
Honestly, I just wasn't prepared for As Foretold, and it pissed me off he was able to go off turn 3 and counter 2 spells a turn cycle for free once he landed a second. It's a very streamlined variant and I'll be fine when I add a second Back to Nature to the 'board.

Lantern is frustrating because they can prevent you from drawing any card they don't want you to draw when all you need is a literal single card out your deck. Does something from the 'yard? Pyxis is here! No, gently caress Lantern and gently caress everyone that plays it, go lose a bar fight with a steroid-abusing meth head.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

suicidesteve posted:

I, too, really hate known tier 7 deck Bant Spirits. It has such good cards as Spell Queller and Noble Hierarch and

It is truly oppressive having to play around a slightly worse Mystic Snake.

That may be the most disingenuous argument I've ever read on these forums, and I flit between the Trump thread and the Suck Zone constantly.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

rabidsquid posted:

that's a funny deck that gets hard countered by like, a single 2/2 for 2.

Which bear is that? I'll start 'boarding it. I have way more beef with Spirits; As Foretold is cute and clever, just frustratingly consistent, but being back on Affinity means I can 'board five colors.

I'm excited for the new block structure and direction but not confident in WotC's ability to print remotely powerful cards ever again. Also this new cardstock and face is a real kick in the dick.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 25, 2017

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Star Man posted:

Something tells me that a sequel to Fallen Empires would be pretty miserable.

Sorry if I ruined your dad jokes.

Fallen Empires 2 would actually have more powerful cards than the original. :v:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Storage lands probably not.

Would this be horrifically broken?

Less-Bad Storage
Land
T: Add <> to your mana pool.
T: Put a counter on Card.
T, remove X counters from Card: Add X C mana to your mana pool.

Edit: It doesn't strike me as unplayable.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 26, 2017

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Sickening posted:

There is actually plenty they can do. If the power level of cards was more balanced across all the rarities and standard was less of a shitshow, card prices would make more sense. Masters set releases at this point basically doom standard to rolling the dice to see if a new card they create actually makes waves outside of standard or not and that isn't looking all that promising.

Scarab god is going to be bulk once it rotates. Chandra is going to be sub 10$ in a hurry. All that is going to be left is a few roleplayers + the fast lands holding any value at all. Nothing major or significant.

Khans might be the last good standard set we get for a long time and even it had problems.

Chandra's fine in modern, won't dip sub 25.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

DangerDongs posted:

If Energy gets hit too hard what will stop Mono Red?

Chandra spiking to 65 apiece and no players who can afford her wanting to play standard.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

If the removal is stapled to a creature it's not really creature removal

But it is able to be eternalised with Scarab God!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Lone Goat posted:

"Affinity" is the Ship of Theseus of deck names, where they've replaced all the cards from the original but they think it's still the same deck.

Ship, a much more evocative name than Robots. Thanks!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Matsuri posted:

...either make conservative plays, to their own downfall, or reckless ones... to their own downfall.

Luv2notplayMagicVsBlue

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

PJOmega posted:

I don't see how they could even think of making it be the judges who pay for the check.

Welcome to the year 2018! If you can still return to your own time of the mid 1990s, I implore you to PLEASE become employed at Wizards of the Coast, LLC and steer their management in the direction of competence, even every 5 years or so. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

PJOmega posted:

For all their faults they're at least semi-competent. With access to Hasbro's lawyers on retainer.

Good, Hasbro's lawyers can balance sets for constructed then.