Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

bloodychill posted:

Unrelated, someone's FTL victory posted recently in the last chat thread inspired me to do a run in Engi A and I came extremely close to my first Engi victory. I was in last phase with final boss ship and almost had it but ran out of drones because I had gotten stuck in a lovely bad loop 5 minutes into the first phase and had to reset it by flying away and fighting him again letting him completely heal :smith:
That was me, and after I did that I beat the game on the hardest difficulty with Crystal B, which I'd just unlocked.
Turns out that's apparently "easy mode" according to some shitheads,
so I then made'em eat crow by then beating the hardest difficulty with Engi B, the most notoriously awful ship in the entire game :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

oddium posted:

i don't think beating the game with a different ship really embarrasses the people who told you crystal b is really easy. which it is
crystal b was my first attempt at hard and I aced it, but they said it was meaningless since crystal b is soooooo eeeeeeasy. So I beat hardmode with the worst ship instead.

Help Im Alive posted:

They should put FTL on a console so I can try it
isn't there a mobile version, or did they scrap that one?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yep, that's bad. Their "Trump's First 100 Days" clip is pretty good though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo3fT0xPeHs&hd=1

The "can't I have Fox News read it and then base my opinion on that" line is great

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

exquisite tea posted:

I don't know anything about Darksiders but... I like what I see.
The very first thing that happens in the first game is humanity is wiped out when the forces of heaven and hell erupt onto earth and War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, descends to stop them. It's basically a Legend of Zelda game.

edit: here's the intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wv6Fj1onQU&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

That looks like loving garbage. Anime ruins everything.
So you're saying that your posting is anime.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jay Rust posted:

It isn't anime because

Nooooo
:(
dark souls: it's anime

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
maybe dark souls is more of a hanna barbera cartoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kr7KDCsIws&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Anime is trash

e, dogs are good
What about an anime dog.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Macarius Wrench posted:

Well, any suggestions?
You are making a dangerous request with such a vague question, but I would either recommend asking in the anime recommendation thread which often gives good results, or just start with the "I am new to anime/manga and don't know where to start" page on the ADTRWiki.

If you enjoy sci-fi and politicking in a show that kind of predicted a bunch of the political poo poo going on in the last decade like two decades beforehand, Legend of the Galactic Heroes is one of the best shows of all time, animated or otherwise. It also has one of the oldest threads on the entire SA forums.

edit: it's got one of my favorite characters of anything, Yang Wenli. This is one of my favorite scenes in the show.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 2, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FirstAidKite posted:

Are those supposed to be smiley faces?

I'm pretty sure those are just smiley faces and I love it that this badass martial artist just wears an outfit covered in smiley faces. He looks like he's just wearing some dad pajamas.

That's just karnov fanart

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just got this beautiful boy and he is basically perfect in every way

the way his legs transform to form the pistol grip for his gun form is downright magical. I transformed him once and then back and will probably never transform him again because his transformation is about 100 steps long, but boy howdy was it impressive.

Walther P38 Pistol mode(not my photo):

he basically explodes apart in order to reform into the gun mode. It's amazing and one of the most impressive feats of engineering in a toy I've ever seen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cowcaster posted:

please keep your physical toys for children out of this forum dedicated to electronic toys for children
I'm on to your plan to stop me, Cowscream.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shindragon posted:

Oh wow, did they finally stop the orange tip for guns for him? I kinda hated that because how ugly it looked.
Nope, just had him shipped straight from Japan. Anime-Export does preorders for Transformers at 30% off, which can save you a ton on Masterpieces like him, even if shipping eats up a lot of the savings.

Red Bones posted:

Bioshock infinite was bad, and contributes to a long line of bad videogame narratives that try to make players feel bad for things the player character was railroaded into doing.
It had a lot of style, though, which is the tragic part. Columbia was a really, really amazingly designed game world. The story was just awful.

I really enjoyed the infinite fractal lighthouse scene though, that was really well done.

edit: some fucker apparently drove an SUV straight into a packed car auction house the next town over so I've been hearing nothing but helicopters hovering overhead for the last like three hours

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 3, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

posting g1 transformers is ok because there is a g1 transformers video game that is pretty decent

yeah but it's not perfect, exhibit A:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jay Rust posted:

I'm feeling very listless today... Could someone recommend a video game, any video game, for me to play?
Terraria. The hours will just melt away.

Or if you want a pretty big challenge, FTL

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

In Training posted:

The only game in 7,8 and the X series that is great is like, X1. And it's not the end of the world if they miss out on that game.
X2, X4, and to a lesser extent X3 and X5 are great. Especially when put up against 4, 5, and 6 from the NES games.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

In Training posted:

I hadn't played any MM game until December of last year and played beat 1-10 and X1-3 and played X4-8 and even by X2 those games got unfun, I vastly prefer the NES games. Except X1 is fantastic, of course
did you ever play the zero games? they're pretty good. better than most other megaman games, really.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Enter the Gungeon. Even more disappointing because it starts out promising and fun but quickly becomes grindy and unsatisfying, with a shitload of weapons that are utterly worthless or take forever to kill anything.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't really get mad at what peeps want to call food, sorry
I'm real mad about "people" calling Hawaiian pizza not food.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
good ol' classics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9x_koRZ2bA&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0yuDfcOhvA&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mutata posted:

Fanart is good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wamdoodle posted:

So you agree then?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

oddium posted:

ah dang i want to play prophunt now. say a gamer prayer for tf2

the last six months of my time with tf2 was basically all prophunt. god what a good idea for a mod, can't believe they never did anything official with it, it was a ton of fun. Especially being something ridiculous like a control point and unable to hide anywhere(unless you knew how to abuse LOS with certain props, like CP's were invisible from underneath) so you just had to play keepaway from the dozen pyros chasing after you

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Meme Emulator posted:

Video Game Jokes:

Q: Which FF6 character likes Skyrim the most?
A: Relm Arrowny

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Desperate Character posted:

:siren: HOLY poo poo RISK OF RAIN 2 AND IT IS GONNA BE IN 3D :siren:

lol no thanks

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Halo good

Halo 2 good, end bad

Halo 3 good, end good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Shame on you if you shame a bro for listening to video game music on he own time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
People's hatred of the library probably stem from co-op or especially solo legendary playthroughs, where rocket launcher flood routinely showed up out of nowhere and basically any splash from a rocket would instagib you.

The White Dragon posted:

lol if you've never hosed to boosters tower
An ex of mine thought the hotline miami soundtrack was good lovemaking music. Some of it, sure, others...not so much

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU9DE69wwos&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zaphod42 posted:

Well also the second half of Halo's campaign was already "do that again backwards" but Library sticks out as especially copy & paste.
I actually enjoy when games reuse areas in the way Halo did, in that you went through it normally, and then your second time through it's totally, completely jacked and hosed up. Not like how the Library does it, but rather "remember Truth And Reconciliation? Well go backwards through it, and now everything is on fire and exploding and also you can fly now without exploiting"

also Halo was really, really good with mission names, and naming in general. The Pillar of Autumn. The Silent Cartographer. Truth and Reconciliation. 343 Guilty Spark. THE MAW.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

glam rock hamhock posted:

Even on the level of fighting game story modes sse was garbage and I'm glad they didn't bother doing that again.

I don't care if it sucked, the cutscenes were outstanding

Captain falcon doing an anime slide into a bunch of pikmin and killing them ruled

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If Microsoft wasn't retarded and just put mcc and rare replay on steam, they'd make a shitload of money. It's been long enough, I can't imagine those are still huge sellers of xboxen nowadays

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Call of duty sold so poorly there they offered refunds because nobody could find multiplayer matches.

Suck it up and go to steam microsoft.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
God drat, it's the end of an era. VGCW's final episode is tonight. I fell off after the eighth season, but before then it was a staple of my Tuesday nights, VGCW is genuinely one of the most creative uses of a video game ever. Bazza, the guy who ran it, would create/download custom characters in WWE2K14 and pit them against each other, using the story mode to create elaborate storylines for them. Thing is, he never actually played it, just set the characters to AI and let them go at it, which resulted in some very organic storylines forming. My absolute favorite was Phoenix Wright vs Evil Alternate Dimension Phoenix Wright, with an amazing reveal(first video, then second):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O-KIQ0fbmY&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzLFBSYdFmI&hd=1

Another favorite is definitely when Ash Ketchum absolutely refused to give up and wound up becoming champion after a grueling knock down drag out fight that got even the haters rooting for him, going from one of the most hated jobbers to the people's champion in an instant. It's kind of insane how addictive VGCW wound up being. Also ironic that it was more real than professional wrestling in that the matches weren't predetermined.

Season 10's intro, shows off a wide variety of characters and the robustness of 2K14's character creator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InCQDKdVssg&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 9, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

Woah nostalgia, that got used for one of the earliest reviews of Final Fight I read when I was like woah look at those huge sprites :monocle:
You may enjoy Woolie and Matt's Boxart Critique, where they pick a game series or two and do a semi-exhaustive breakdown of the cover art(and other art sometimes) for that series over the years.

Here's the one for Final Fight and Streets of Rage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlEvRHu9nwc&hd=1

and the rest of'em: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL57hJfweW_2thnlFfzUN0PpI5KkGYxaZ8

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Why is this an hour? :psyduck:
When I say "every boxart" I mean "every boxart", including different regions. Like how the infamous Megaman 1 and 2 boxarts from the US and Europe were those total shitshows with Bad Boxart Megaman, Silver Dildocannon Megaman, and Dr. Light Hiding Behind Crash Man As Megaman Shoots An Actual Gun At Quick Man. While gushing over/mocking the artwork, they also discuss the composition, little touches, etc. They also said it's basically an excuse to get SOME use out of the art degrees they both have.

raditts posted:

Why would someone be wearing their own merchandise if they didn't want people to recognize them
If I had to guess who it was, it was probably Matt, and if he was wearing his own merch, it was probably the Sweet Babies shirt, which he likes a lot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, I had totally forgotten yahtzee is a person that exists on this planet still.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The one thing I remember from yahtzee was him describing some bad clive barker game with "it's as twisted and impenetrable as a granite octopus" which was a pretty rad way to describe something being terribly designed.

There's a forum user on here with that name, avatar, and title text I believe.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I saw RedLetterMedia's Guardians of the Galaxy 2 review and Mike and Jay both loved it a lot
it's a very good movie so I can see why!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://my.mixtape.moe/ejuhxz.webm

• Locked thread