Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Apparently D2 development began the day they announced it was being "delayed" a year

If true, it's actually impressive what they managed to accomplish despite all the issues that plague the game. I really feel sorry for the non-lead developers however, who probably put in absurd amounts of crunch to satisfy the "vision" of the higher-ups who have no idea how to manage projects. Must have been absurdly stressful and strained a lot of personal/family relationships, just because some idiots up top don't know what they're doing.

Having said that, however...

quote:

He also talked about how Eververse came to existence. He said:
What Bungie decided was we can't do this any more this is too hard for us to do (referring to releasing a DLC every few months) the tools that we're working with are really hard to deal with. it's hard for us to make this much content. it's just hard to make content in general. And they said we're going to do a smaller or drip feed of smaller stuff and we're going to put up the Eververse and make money that way, and Activision said okay. it was a part of their renegotiated deal and they got to a point where they didn't have to be cranking up so much content

gently caress this game. Very fond memories of D1 but the above quote basically confirms suspicions that the D2 roadmap is turd after turd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Roman posted:

Definitely have to keep in mind that reddit/streamers/people like us are the weirdos in all this and not the norm

Aren't player trackers showing that the playerbase has really tanked, especially compared to D1? It seems that a good chunk of casuals have ditched it as well as the hardcore players.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The problem is that in D1, it took 18 hours to load a map in for editing, and then another 18 to render it back into a form ready for distribution. I doubt they've changed that much, so it's probably so much of a headfuck that they have to do as much as possible in one pass.

Plus, we don't know how the scripting logic and hooks work, so it might be that safely hooking new triggers into areas other quests cross might be a logistical loving nightmare.

I suspect that this is why most of the DLC takes place in areas you can't free roam in.

Didn't Bungie say that the whole reason they were ditching the 10 year plan and making Destiny 2 rather than continuing to update the base game was because they were completely revamping their engine so that the problems you described weren't an issue any more? I'm pretty sure they said that was one of the main goals behind the development of Destiny 2.

It was weird reading about those engine issues however because I remember a devlog from before D1 launched and it showed the creation of part of the Moon and it seemed like they had a really solid and easy-to-use engine. They sped the video up but the guy was sat there dragging and dropping assets and crafting areas really easily. I forget which part of the patrol zone it was but the speed at which the guy created a huge area and then spawned in to run around was crazy impressive.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 4, 2018

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

SlimGoodbody posted:

But also yeah I'd love a bunch of weapons that were explicitly designed to be fun in a videogame that remembers that fun is the ultimate goal of videogames, but instead we got the D2 spreadsheet meta

The Gears of War and Ratchet & Clank games were really good at this, creating unusual weapons that you wouldn't see in other games. It's disappointing that Destiny, with all of its potential, just relies on a lot of standard weaponry that you'd see in a COD game.

I wish Bungie would spice the game up and make it so that current exotics are legendary and then introduce some exotic gear that actually significantly impacts playstyle. The current exotics aren't very exotic, their perks are really weak and should be the kind of thing you find on legendary gear instead.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Genuinely surprised that they swallowed their pride and are reintroducing 6v6 PvP, that's the best news out of all of this and will actually make the Crucible worthwhile and fun again, I just hope they don't gently caress it up and limit it to one crappy mode or something. They should just drop 4v4 entirely now, leaving it in the game is dumb.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

All they need is 6v6 Clash, Control, Mayhem and Rift, maybe on random rotation or something where it picks the mode when changing maps. Then have a Rumble mode and revert Trials back to 3v3. The new modes all suck and should be binned along with 4v4. Adding some more power ammo packs to maps on alternating cooldowns would be good as well, but I know Bungie is weary of letting people have too much fun.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Chilichimp posted:

I miss the sprawling military installations of Mars Cabal.

come to think of it... literally ever planet from D1 is cooler than the current crop except for, maybe, Titan, which is so small and underdeveloped that you don't really get to experience it.

I'm surprised they haven't tacked-on more D1 content to DLC to pad it out and make it feel more worthwhile. CoO would have been a great excuse to bring back Venus and all the Venus PvP maps, for example, and if the next DLC focuses on Rasputin why not bring back the Cosmodrome and PvP maps from that location as well? Seems like an effortless way to really boost the content in the game, especially if they're already recycling old exotics anyways, why not bring more old content back as well?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

wintrrmute posted:

this is the correct and good take abgd IS BACK baby

What's interesting to me is that so many of the D2 changes seem to be a superficial understanding of fan feedback (better story, more "lore", cohesive flow from story, events, adventures, etc) and internal goals (simplify to grow user base)

But literally what was the goal for 4v4? if the goal was (presumably) getting the pro crowd,

1. why do they assume pros would rather 4v4 vs 6v6, given there are professional play in the 6v6 universe today?
2. how could they prioritize 4v4 over private matches / ranked play?

it just doesn't make sense fam

There's an interview floating around somewhere from pre-launch that has one of the design leads talking about how the entire crucible team at Bungie told him 4v4 would be a bad idea but he had the final say and seemed really smug about it. Would be interesting to know if he still holds his position or if someone sensible has replaced him, and what his reaction to the reintroduction of 6v6 was.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Destiny 2 really has tanked on Twitch but it's interesting to see that the only people who stream it now are only playing PvE, and PvP seems to be dead despite what seems to be a very deliberate effort by Bungie to make it more streamable (e.g. player intros for matches and the new HUD). Comparatively, looking at the Twitch page for the first Destiny has a lot of streamers playing PvP. I'd have thought a company as large as Bungie would be in full panic mode and pushing out updates encouraging people to play as quickly as possible but the public reaction of the studio seems to be that of a rabbit in the headlights, they're not really moving or making much of a visible effort to fix anything. Will be interesting to see how the year plays out for them and their relationship with Activision, and if they even bother with a Destiny 3 at all in the future.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I checked out the top streamer in there yesterday who was some guy sat in orbit arguing with his chat and doing damage control and I watched him for a couple of minutes today and he was talking about how upset and emotionally draining this is which is funny but also sad.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Waffle House posted:

What was that thing recently where YouTube changed its terms to monetize less people? Or I guess just have an excuse to more finely control who they like?

I think it's related to that guy poking fun at a suicide victim he found in a forest and monetizing the video and YouTube's response was to introduce much stricter requirements for partnership rather than actually addressing issues with popular content creators who expose kids to content like that. It's hosed up but then PewDiePie has gotten away with some bad stuff as well and the consequences only ever affect smaller channels and people trying to get started.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

haveblue posted:

It's older than that, the keyword to google for is "adpocalypse".

Wasn't that after one of PewDiePie's screw-ups?

I think YouTube also banned people from linking to Patreon pages in video descriptions as well which seems like a mean thing to do since I'd assume the people doing so were in need of the additional revenue stream. Another thing that doesn't affect big established channels but really hurts people trying to get started or have smaller but dedicated audiences.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

The entire game is designed around being a slow rear end bitch with no supers or nades and two boring guns that just shoot

All the mods in the world won’t change the fact that the enemies just sit there and do nothing and the pvp is 4v4 crap

I hoped strikes in D2 would be more chaotic and fun like the Omnigul strike with the Hive rush and the staircase fight in Undying Mind but instead they focused on more raid-lite mechanics which really sucks. I get that people like raids but some parts of certain strikes in Destiny really zeroed in on what made the game good and that's lots of enemies, lots of supers going off, a really chaotic environment and orbs everywhere. When you slow everything down the whole thing falls apart which sucks because when the core gameplay loop actually gets turning it's really engaging. Who the gently caress wants to jump through hoops or collect stupid ether trails or whatever, just flood the screen with enemies and let people go nuts.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I never got WotM but didn't that introduce those artifacts based on the Iron Lords that allowed even more customization to builds and was considered to be really good? Shame they simplified everything rather than giving people more options for building unique classes.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

In a way it's actually kinda cool to see a community so big give Bungie the finger and ditch the game because of how badly they've handled everything about it. It sucks for people whose livelihood relies on regular fresh content but maybe seeing the game tank so severely will be the kick Bungie needs to actually try and fix things. I don't think the remaining community will be big enough to keep things going via Eververse whales so something will have to give eventually. Or maybe Bungie is planning on riding things out and unveiling a TTK-styled expansion at E3 with minor tweaks exaggerated to claims of having listened to feedback until people realize a week after launch it's the same old.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

texaholic posted:

Top streamer on D2 twitch is running D1 raids because why not, they got 270 viewers closest streamer has 110 viewers. The D1 raid twitch is some random dudes talking poo poo about destiny and cutting up in general. I could hear a bong rip while they were taking down warpriest.

One of the main Destiny PvP streamers seems to have gone back to playing D1 now. It's crazy how action-packed a single minute of D1 PvP is compared to entire matches of D2 PvP however, and how much better the maps are as well, both in regards to layout and visual design. D2 maps are so flat and bland.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

FishBulb posted:

The biggest mistake they ever made obviously was making a Destiny 2 in the first place

Yeah, D1 getting the new planets and story content in a huge expansion would have been preferable to what we have now. The sheer amount of content would be insane. Players would have a lot of variety for raids and end game content, PvP would still be fun and the amount of gear would be huge as well.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

CheeseFactory posted:

Anthem delayed til march 2018. Lame

It's sad reading that people working on the game are fearing for the future and their jobs if it isn't a huge success. Apparently Bioware is next on EA's chopping block and they're focusing all their resources on getting it done on time but following the reactions to Destiny 2 and Battlefront 2 and EA likely pressuring them to incorporate lootboxes somehow it must really suck to be a Bioware dev right now.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Waffle House posted:

It's interesting how the dark cloud of Lootbox doesn't seem to hang over the Overwatch community at all from what I see. Too many people must be sunk-cost for it to register.

I think it's a combination of the lootboxes being purely cosmetic, the game having plenty of content to keep players happy and also receiving free regular updates with new heroes and maps. If Bungie adopted the same business tactic then CoO would have been a free update for everyone.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Killer_Bees! posted:

“Iron banner 6v6” .... so it’s not even a base pvp mode then? Just a every now and then thing ? I suppose I might log in and when the next dlc drops but until then gently caress these clowns

Yeah seriously, that's pathetic. They know 6v6 is needed but they're keeping it IB-only to help hype the events up which is just lovely of them.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Reddit user posted:

Can you comment on why it was changed from 6v6 to 4v4?

Bungie dev posted:

I think Lars Bakken would be the best person to answer that. But I’ll try to represent my best.

The design team was operating under some high level direction to make the game more about teamwork, coordination, and to slow down the frenetic pace of the game with the goal of making engagements more understandable and create a more competitive feel.

They saw 4v4 as an important step toward those goals. There was a lot of debate and discussion around this effort, and I believe there still is, but that’s the way the chips fell.

I prefer 6v6 and the frenetic, lone wolf insanity of D1, but I’m a map designer/artist and that’s what I am responsible for in the end. Destiny is better at making me feel like a weaponized space-wizard with a gun* than a counterstike soldier with jump boots. I like my destiny crazy ;)

People guessing Esports fuckery were right. What a gently caress-up. Twice in a row they screwed up with major changes late in the development cycle.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Pretty sure this isn't ironic so I'm gonna say I agree.

Raid content isn't regularly accessed and by its very nature has to play differently for a single player. Ideally they don't reuse so much poo poo but I'm fine with it.

The way they handled returning to the Vault of Glass in a D1 story mission was cool, adding some small new areas and hiding secret gear in there. Turning Crota into a story mission kinda worked as well but the stealth thing was lame, but being able to go elsewhere for that exotic quest was really cool, and all they did was make a strike accessible from the story mission and change the enemies from Fallen to Taken, an easy content adjustment that everyone enjoyed. I'd hoped stuff like that would be regular in D2 since it's small but fun remixes of content already there.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Didn't The Division have a really bad launch and manage to turn things round entirely, and same for Rainbow Six: Siege? Bungie makes some huge fuckups and the playerbase is really small going by ABGD's posts, but those other games managed to turn things around from similar conditions. Then again, I don't think those Ubisoft teams have the same level of arrogance and stubbornness that Bungie does.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think the dude's just bummed to see something that could be really fun take a lot of wrong turns, and there's nothing wrong with sticking around to see if it gets better and he's clearly not alone in his views either. I agree with him on most of the stuff he raises, it's just surprising to see how low the player figures are when he posts them because I didn't think it was that bad, but then again everyone's obsessed with battle royale games right now it seems so maybe it would have suffered a big loss either ways?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's good that they're doing this but I think they should have teams like this providing feedback for the duration of the games lifespan, not just 3 months. In theory this is likely for testing their big Fall expansion but a game like this really needs regular outside perspectives. At least it seems indicative that they realize that they don't always know best and listening to the playerbase is actually something they need to be doing, so it's good to see.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

CheeseFactory posted:

Oh look 6v6 was postponed.

Totally didn't see that coming. No sir.

I saw an article recently talking about the state of Destiny 2 right now and one of the more prominent points made was that Destiny never needed a sequel in the first place:

quote:

There never should have been a Destiny 2

Destiny came out in 2014. It was essentially a massively multiplayer online shooter with persistent characters, persistent gear and persistent collections of things like ships, mounts and emotes. Players earned some of these items as trophies for different achievements in the game, and bought some through microtransactions.

Only three years later, Bungie asked players to leave all their collections behind and move into Destiny 2, which was supposed to be a whole new game.

The writers built an explanation for this into the story: Enemies destroy the Tower at the start of the Destiny 2 campaign. The in-game social area where players stored their stuff was gone.

But we end up in a whole new Tower at the end of Destiny 2 that is pretty similar to the old one, except that all our old collections are gone, and there’s a new loot box vendor selling stuff to replace it for real money. It didn’t feel like progression; it felt like a reset that led into a crummier economy.

Continuity encourages commitment. Players feel invested in their collections, in their characters and in the community, and that keeps them playing. When Destiny became Destiny 2, it severed that link. Bungie blew up everything the community had built, and took away everything players had earned and purchased. They came into Destiny 2 without the stuff that had tied them to Destiny, and that made it easier for a lot of players who had previously been heavily committed to the game to leave.

If you want your players to stick with a franchise over the long term, you can’t periodically take away all their poo poo. Why invest as much in Destiny 2 when you have good reason to believe it’s all going to be taken away?

This also leads into the point that one of Luke Smith's favorite games, World of Warcraft, never received a sequel. Instead Blizzard just kept building upon the original game over the years to great success. I think the biggest flaw with Destiny 2 is that it actually exists as a sequel rather than an expansion for the original game. I also can't help but imagine that they won't have learned their lesson and they'll wipe everything yet again to bring us Destiny 3 in a couple of years with a measly four planets and just a single raid yet again, having learned nothing. They should have stuck to the original ten year vision rather than wiping the slate clean.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Angry Walrus posted:

Yeah, their agreement with Activision was to produce multiple games, lol @ anyone who thinks D1 would have just kept going in perpetuity or that it's a thing that could have happened if they pushed for it.

I wonder what happened to that 10 year plan for Destiny then? Really though, for a game that's essentially an MMO-lite in many regards, I don't see why they thought scrapping everything to start over again would ever sit well with a userbase that's very progression-oriented. I guess I'm just bummed that D2 wasn't an expansion pack instead because there would be so much to do in the game right now. They could have still charged the same price for it, but imagine all the planets/strikes/raids/PVP content there would be available to players right now that just keeps on growing constantly. Instead they've just botched a bunch of stuff and their supposed reason for rebooting (updated dev tools) doesn't seem to have panned out for them since it still takes them forever to do anything. I do have a bias since I mostly enjoyed PvP and occasionally jumped into the strikes playlist.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

PathAsc posted:

Hoping for a glitch that let's us fill every slot with exotics

They would probably pull the entire teams working on Comet and D3 to fix an issue that fun as soon as possible.

Speaking of which, tuned in to a KingGothalian stream earlier where he was talking about the upcoming event where he and a bunch of community members have been invited to Bungie to tell them how to fix their game and he said one of the points he and the others intend to make is that they need to greatly expand the live team supporting D2 otherwise D3 will be dead on arrival because everyone will know what's up and won't waste their time with it. I can totally see Bungie getting D2 into a good state after a few years and having a decent amount of content only to wipe the slate completely clean and gently caress it all up again.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I hope the entire crucible team is taunting Lars Bakken all day every day for how much better 6v6 is and how it's reignited the community.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Roman posted:

Deej quoted as saying the "majority" of Bungie was rerouted to fixing D2

https://clips.twitch.tv/SwissArtsyMooseKappaClaus

The link is broken but that's really great news if true. They shouldn't even be thinking about making Destiny 3 until the next console generation.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Nice that there's another attempt at trying some kind of horde mode but I don't get why they still don't just make a proper one that utilizes all the crucible maps and is actually limitless.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Fly Molo posted:

...and you're the one saying skill-based matchmaking shouldn't exist, because you might get laggy opponents, or have to wait a minute or two between matches. Oh the humanity. :allears:

I would rather get my rear end kicked because my opponent has more skill than because they have a terrible connection. It can suck getting stomped but at least it's an opportunity to learn and improve, whereas SBMM putting you up against laggy players teleporting around the map is just frustrating. Connection quality should be the only factor that determines how players are matched. A return to 3's & 6's would be nice as well but hey.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The source is that video above, it has another shot of the worm as well in the background outside as they're talking about wanting to have a huge boss battle in there.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Why wasn't Tei invited to the summit? Should have replaced Datto with him.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

SlimGoodbody posted:

Replace everyone everywhere with Tei tbh, but why do people seem to hate Datto so much? He appears to me to be an innocuous enough video game nerd. He even shares the related interest of being highkey disappointed with Destiny, yet totally unable to walk away from it like that rest of us braingeniou-

Oh, oh wait, I see. It's the revulsion of self recognition

I don't hate him but he said 4v4 is better than 6v6 and I really hope that Bungie didn't listen to him.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Waffle House posted:

I think that's part of why heavy feels cheap right now. The pacing in 6v6 for its droppage used to be slower, but now it's a little more mayhem-ish since it pops every like 45 seconds. I could see people feeling like 6v6 is mayhem-ish, and like there isn't much distinction in pacing other than the obvious ability cooldowns, thus.

In D1, Shaxx hollering HEY, HEAVY'S ABOUT TO DROP FYI always got me goingcon muy rapido, and some of my favorite multikills were made crashing the opposing team's heavy ammo camping party with my super.

Ammo count on heavy guns themselves IMHO is good, and I like how you get only the "scraps" of a brick someone else picked up when you kill them.

The more power ammo the better imo since it makes the game more fun and like you said, it actually gives people something else to run to other than B flag. People get too hung up on this trying to be something overly serious and competitive without realizing that to accomplish that you'd have to change/remove so much that the game wouldn't be recognizable. Besides, lots of other games managed just fine with power weapons being scattered around the map when the match starts and it makes it a lot more fun getting to fight over that stuff and being rewarded if you win. They should go even further and start adding artifacts that you can pickup as well.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

CheeseFactory posted:

I miss year 1 of Destiny 1

I think D1's heavy ammo implementation wasn't that great because it was just two pickups on either side of the map and whenever it was about to spawn both teams ran to their side of the map for it which was kinda dull and predictable. I think having more of it with varying cooldowns would be the best way to go so you don't have those moments where the map is deserted and everyone is huddled around the ammo spawn, even if it's funny to be nearby with a super ready to go.

They should really embrace the setup for Crucible as well and have Shaxx randomly spawning a sword of Crota/Scorcher/Valkyrie Javelin right in the middle of the map and give players plenty of toys to have fun with. Trials can be for serious stuff but everything else should just prioritize fun.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I wish the rumors that we'd fight Exos defending the warmind had been true.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Tei posted:

- Player can, on demand, ask for a satellite laser airstrike / tactical nuke

Yeah, they need an exotic weapon that works like the Hammer of Dawn from Gears of War except instead of a giant laser shooting down it gets Rasputin to drop a Warsat at wherever you point the target laser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

lmao it was super dumb you could get every raid and trials weapon without ever doing the activity gently caress off idiots

Who cares if people get to enjoy some toys in a video game if they didn't meet some specific criteria to assess whether or not they "earned" the privilege to have fun?