Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Sinteres posted:

This is the kind of poo poo cult members would say.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/874297130164289536

Well they pretty much are a death cult at this point. More profit at the infinite expense of every other member of society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/charliearchy/status/874442553919062017

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
drat, 50 shots fired.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Gustav posted:

Republican whining over the coming days is going to be insufferable

That depends on what political affiliation the shooter has.

If this is a pissed off alt right guy, things are going to get awkward, fast.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

shirts and skins posted:

Oh please, as if everything written about the guy wouldn't suddenly morph into "mentally ill" and "troubled".

Well sure that's what the Republicans would start saying, but liberal people wouldn't agree. An awkward situation for sure. And at this point I have no idea what the alt-right community would do. Things have degenerated so much they might even be happy.

But this is all speculation, we have no idea what's happening.

axeil posted:

Well they didn't catch the guy so maybe we're headed for a redux of the Beltway Sniper. That'll be fun.

Where are you seeing that? I'm seeing conflicting reports that he's been captured and is in custody or that he died on the scene.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
No one cares if you "don't feel sympathy" for the victims and are in fact cheering, except for the FBI who is probably monitoring this thread

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
In the future, all Congressional baseball games will be played with assault rifles instead of bats to prevent this from happening again.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Gustav posted:

Oh no, the FBI will charge me with not feeling sympathy for a victim.

I think you'd be really surprised at what counts as inciting and making a "true threat" these days

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

SweetAsselin posted:

Really, how is Hannity/Fox News not being swarmed then?

I really can't help you if you can't tell the difference between a single individual on a forum and the propaganda wing of the most powerful political party in the world.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Blindeye posted:

Ron DeSantis was given leading questions by Stephanopoulos so he could be told "the guy asking you about whether they were Republicans is the shooter!"

Waters getting super muddy

The Narrative is already taking hold despite evidence to the contrary. Honestly it's probably best to just tune out until the afternoon when more solid information is known.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/878448965489963008

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
The Atlantic recently posted an article about how the AHCA could lead to an economic recession by cutting thousands of jobs in the healthcare sector. How likely is it that a recession would occur? I consider the Atlantic a generally reliable source, but it just seems so insanely suicidal to me that the GOP would do this so I'm holding out some desperate hope.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Randbrick posted:

That CBO score does not reflect merely death and suffering, it also reflects the practical collapse of medical care as an industry. If this passes, there will be layoffs overnight across multpile industries. Doctors, nurses, hospital admin, social workers, counselors and therapists, janitors, orderlies, insurance adjusters, my god.

This bill is recession that will hit immediately, and will devastate a load bearing pillar industry in a massive, cross-cutting way.

This is exactly what I was afraid of.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
This one guy tweeted the alphabet at Trump. I don't know why this is so funny to me.

https://twitter.com/TriviumPaolo/status/884364283760582656

https://twitter.com/TriviumPaolo/status/884365073703211008

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

There's got to be a pardon already signed and sealed for him. There has to be.

So in the end, nothing happens. Ugh.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 11, 2017

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Does anyone know the date the platform changes about Ukraine and Russia happened?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

that explains the comey questioning.

Wow, if it's affecting him that much that's not a good sign, is it? Though Jimmy Carter's cancer had spread to the brain and he's survived long past the initial "a few weeks left to live" diagnosis.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
It may be better to compare this to what happened with Ted Kennedy rather than Jimmy Carter, as Jimmy Carter was dealing with melanoma that spread to the brain rather than a primary brain tumor. Kennedy was diagnosed in May 2008, and died in August 2009. He had a malignant glioma.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Good to see eugenics making a comeback

https://twitter.com/MarshallProj/status/888071507683024898

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Rigel posted:

regarding the anti-BDS bill, from what I've read, people are overreacting to it. I mean, yes it is a terrible bill that should have no support, but the reaction from almost every Dem senator when the ACLU came out against is basically "wait, what? The bill really does that? I'll have to look into it, I had no idea."

They hadn't studied it, they just saw something that looked innocuous from what seemed to be a pro-Israel group and said "sure, I'll support it." The legislation probably doesn't even discuss horrifying penalties for boycotting, it probably just says "these activities are now added to the list on this subsection", and you have to dig up all the references and discuss it with lawyers before you figure it out.

The ACLU did the hard work and said "hey dumbasses, stop supporting this"

Sorry but the fact that Senators apparently just blindly support what AIPAC puts on their desk no matter how blatantly unconstitutional it is is pretty alarming. It shouldn't require the ACLU for a ridiculous bill like this to be stopped.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Condiv posted:

i understand the other guys point that this may have been way too complicated for senators to parse on their own, but at the same time that just hints at the fact that our government is flying blind with tons of interest groups trying to pass legislation senators don't actually understand at all

that's extremely frightening and kinda blows the idea of republican democracy out of the water. or at least that our government is a republican democracy

Exactly. If our legislative system is so complicated that Senators rely on whichever interest groups pay them the most to figure out how to write new laws (or maybe it's the other way around...), then this is a sign that serious reform is needed at best.

This is so ridiculous that I'm becoming really curious how other countries' legislative process works. Is a scenario where legislators have no idea what's in the bill they're pushing business as usual in most of the world?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Despera posted:

Though if you are stupid enough to take that deal, probably best you dont breed.

Yeah, gently caress poor people who are desperate to get out of jail so their children don't become homeless.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

skylined! posted:

lol is mcconnell worried about getting primaried

Eh, he's not up again until 2020 and he won the last election ~56%-41%.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

skylined! posted:

lol that's actually within range of vulnerability in a presidential election year like 2020 will be holy lol

I think it's too early to take this a fact instead of a possibility.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

particle9 posted:

I'm not sure calling birth control eugenics is accurate. It isn't a terrible idea to entice people who probably shouldn't be having families to not start families. Eugenics as I understand it is more about selective breeding to create some ultimate ideal. This is more about trying to get people who might have poor decision making abilities not to create life they can't take care of and don't want. If it was forced sterilization you might have more of an argument but even then I don't know that is technically eugenics.

If you aren't even sure that forced sterilization is eugenics then I'm dying to know what you do consider to be eugenics.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/888045938324815872

The fact that they are like two dozen seats away from being able to do this is alarming.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
For some reason Twitter is completely broken for me today. Great loving timing.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

evilweasel posted:

people need to read that politico article, trump has massively hosed up yet again

basically, the House had a problem with their military budget bill: conservatives wouldn't vote for the bill unless it stripped funding for sexual reassignment surgeries, while moderates refused to agree to discriminate against trans people, and they couldn't pass it with moderates + democrats because democrats won't vote for it with funding for The Wall. so, they can't fund the military at all unless they give up the wall. that is...embarrassing.

so Ryan hit on an idea: get Trump to issue an order saying the military won't pay for sexual reassignment surgeries, and the House no longer needs to include it in the legislation at all, it's no longer their problem

so he asked Trump, and Trump appears to have basically misinterpreted what was being asked for and banned all trans people entirely which was not at all what Ryan wanted

and now, even Republicans are like "uh this is a little too segregationey even for me guys" and i bet that bill now gets trapped in a debate over if it should overturn that executive order or not instead of a much quieter funding battle

That kind of stupidity might be the only thing that saves us.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I'm confused. Is Mcconnell going to call the bluff by forcing the vote through anyway or is he calling the whole thing off

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Friendly reminder: the worst part of hurricane season has yet to hit the US.

I sincerely hope goons in the south/eastern US have supplies stockpiled and plans in case of a bad hurricane followed by inept state/federal response.

The next two months or so are the worst for hurricanes. Has Trump appointed a FEMA or NOAA director yet?

Lately there have been a worryingly large number of articles explaining how poorly prepared most parts of the southeast US are for a hurricane, and various parts of Florida and Louisiana have been flooding in recent weeks. Every year Americans are taking a huge gamble.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"translation: "generals have told me what our plans are and told me not to gently caress anything up by not following them"

is that good or bad? are they plans to escalate or deescalate?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Realtalk: does anyone believe the Trump presidency will end without another war?
And before you answer, recall the massive and disgusting praise Donny got for throwing some Tomahawks at a Syrian runway.

I truly thought we would get through 4 years without a war at the beginning of this year but things escalated so quickly ever since I've given up on that hope.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/graham_euan/status/895981809372086273

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/895985378573918209

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Dogwood Fleet posted:

At the same time, we're reminiscing about GBS' greatest hits. There were some amazing threads, but there was always a ton of garbage that came with it.

These days I don't even bother to look there.

Pretty sure I once saw a chart showing a major decline in visits to SA right after the rule change in GBS (October 2013 I think?). I think a decent number of people went even further than you and just stopped coming to SA altogether after GBS went to poo poo.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

You sweet summer child. Trump is a clinical narcissist who is literally addicted to adulation. Trump will make this situation about himself, hamper/impair any serious response, and then blame the Deep State for intentionally sabotaging the response to make him look bad.

Make no mistake, even Obama would be incredibly hard pressed to handle this situation competently. Texas has spent the past 30 years slowly starving all of its non-vital infrastructure of funds and outside of the areas that commerce depends on heavily everything in Texas is running at a fractional capacity. Massively complicating this is the idiotic libertarians running many Texas localities that have no psychological capacity for dealing with an actual disaster, resulting in evacuation orders not being issued and many more people being trapped in the disaster area than really should be. On top of all that Texas has absurdly loose regulations w/r/t oil production and many of those oil facilities are in no way capable of handling this- there will be areas where the flood waters are turned into toxic (and potentially flammable) sludge by massive leaks of petroleum products.

This is very likely the end of Houston as a major metropolitan area and hub of commerce (at the very least it is a several years pause in that), and its is going to deal a massive blow to the American economy once the reality of how much of our domestic oil production has been destroyed finally sets in.

:stare:

The NFIP is already ~$24 billion in debt, what's going to happen to it after this? Will this be the event that finally makes people in other low-lying coastal areas (*cough*Miami*cough*) realize they're living in a death trap?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Just remember how many cities along the east coast are ill-prepared for a hurricane. How many could one day be in a similar situation.

For example, only a month ago WaPo published an article describing how Tampa Bay relies on hope that a hurricane won't ever hit even as it continues to expand development: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/health/environment/tampa-bay-climate-change/

quote:

By a stroke of gambler’s luck, Tampa Bay hasn’t suffered a direct hit from a hurricane as powerful as a category 3 or higher in nearly a century. Tampa has doubled down on a bet that another won’t strike anytime soon, investing billions of dollars in high-rise condominiums along the waterfront and shipping port upgrades and expanding a hospital on an island in the middle of the bay to make it one of the largest in the state.

Once-sleepy St. Petersburg has gradually followed suit, adorning its downtown coast with high-rise condominiums, new shops and hotels. The city is in the final stages of a plan to build a $45 million pier as a major attraction that would extend out into the bay.

Worried that area leaders weren’t adequately focused on the downside of living in a tropic, the Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council reminded them of the risks by simulating a worst-case scenario hurricane, a category 5 with winds exceeding 156 mph, to demonstrate what would happen if it entered the Gulf of Mexico and turned their way.

The fictitious Phoenix hurricane scenario projects that wind damage would destroy nearly half a million homes and businesses. About 2 million residents would require medical treatment, and the estimated death toll, more than 2,000, would top the number of people who perished from Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana and Mississippi.

Florida’s most densely populated county, Pinellas, could be sliced in half by a wave of water. The low-lying county of about a million is growing so fast that there’s no land left to develop, and main roads and an interstate connecting it to Tampa get clogged with traffic even on a clear day.

“If a hurricane 4 or 5 hit us,” St. Petersburg City Council Chairman Darden Rice said, referring to the two highest category storms, “there’s no doubt about it. The plan is you’d better get out of Dodge.”

Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn’s warning was even starker. Standing outside City Hall last year, he described what would happen if a hurricane as small as a category 3 with 110 mph to 130 mph winds hit downtown.

“Where you’re standing now would be 15 feet under water,” he said.

Video simulations of hurricanes that strafed Florida but missed Tampa Bay look like an epic game of dodgeball.

“It’s like we’re in this sweet spot. It’s like we’re blessed somehow, protected,” said Allison Yeh, a planner for Hillsborough County in Tampa.

The last direct hit from a category 3 in 1921 left the area in ruins, but few people lived there then. A single death was recorded.

Now, with 4 million residents and gleaming new infrastructure, the stakes are higher, and Yeh and her fellow planners are wary. They know a major hurricane like one of several that barely missed the bay in recent years would have a devastating effect.

There are few hurricane-proof buildings in the bay area. One is a gallery, the Salvador Dali Museum in downtown St. Petersburg with 18-inch-thick concrete walls and pressured glass supported by steel frames that could withstand anything the aforementioned storms could dish out. The building supervisor could stand at the windows and watch a hurricane pass as though it were on the Weather Channel.

The museum is better protected than one of the largest hospitals in the state, Tampa General, which sits on Davis Island, a spit of earth that was dredged from muck at the bottom of the bay a few years after the last hurricane hit. Buckhorn said a category 3 hurricane would level the island’s houses, including his own.

Tampa General has a thorough evacuation plan, indoor generators that can supply energy for several days, and safe floors with reinforced walls and windows.

But parts of two bridges that lead to and from the island would be cut off by floodwaters, a concern of officials in spite of assurances by the hospital’s managers that there’s a contingency for that, too.

Floridians view hurricanes with the same bravado of Oklahomans who face tornadoes and Californians who brave earthquakes and wildfire: They come with the territory, a fact of life in a tropic, they say.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

if it was ever implemented there would be actual riots in the street

There would, in fact, not be riots. People can put their heads down and tolerate an incredible amount of authoritarian poo poo before they start rioting.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

farraday posted:

This is from 8 days ago.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/08/tropical_storm_harvey_2017_cou.html

Harvey hit the Yucatan as a miserable Tropical wave dropping a few inches of rain, then hit the Gulf of Mexico and exploded into a slow moving wrath of god over 48 hours.

that's some brutal irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I don't know what to believe. On the one hand, I don't want to panic over hyperbole. But on the other hand, I don't want to fall into the trap of assuming that just because something bad hasn't happened yet, or hasn't happened in a long time, then that means it won't happen now.

• Locked thread