Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm really enjoying Gears 5 but it's so weird. It feels like I am playing gears when I'm shooting at things, but literally everything else is like "We need to make a Sony game" which isn't bad, but it's sort of jarring cause I feel like I am playing God of War or Horizon but it's all GOW characters and monsters. The color palette is almost like, playful for lack of better word, which is funny when there's all these monsters running around barking "torment and pestilence!" I"m not sure it totally works but it's also pretty entertaining so whatevs.

I was really disappointed in it because I loved Gears 4 so much. I abandoned it aaages ago when I got it in some promo then gave it another shot on game pass. The robots and new cast put me off first time but it ruled so much. It's like an awesome teen slasher action movie.

Then 5 was just nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I loved the gears 4 narrative. It would have been boring without the teen drama vibe.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Real hurthling! posted:

Gears 4 had all these robot enemies that just made me wish i was playing the much much better binary domain

That's why I bounced off it. I hated the intro. Once you get through that into the meat it's great. Having the super clean modern world where robots are the enemy and stuff is pretty chill is a good setup for the rest of the game and contextualised the new characters tho.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

1glitch0 posted:

Are all the Gears games one storyline?

Yeah. Gears 4 introduces a new main cast while the original football team boys are now coaching staff.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Laserface posted:

When you consider the price of the official storage solution it makes it almost a no brainer to get the X

I have first world internet storage is meaningless.

If I had kids or no PC I'd get an s for game pass old games.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

External Organs posted:

drat, the ascent is loving beautiful.

It actually sucks tho and I let myself stupidly believe the hype

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hatty posted:

I’m not sure what the big deal is Sony moneyhats exclusives all the time. console makers buying exclusivity is just how this industry works. Like are people this upset that final fantasy VIIR or XVI will never release on Xbox?

Yeah idgi. All the companies hoard what they can hoard. Team Xbox people complain about exclusive hoarding and cheer corporate acquisitions. Sony fans grind their teeth over MS cash buying up games and gloat over final fantasy exclusivity.

Just chill out and buy both machines. Game pass is cheap to run on my PC and even cheaper since I play a major release then turn it off for a few months.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

The big guy at the end of the ice chapter of gears is legit one of the worst boss fights I have done in as long as I can remember. Wtf where they thinking making a boss that takes like 15 minutes to kill and then making every one of his attacks a 1 hit kill? I’ve died like 10 times on this because at some point there is always a bad camera angle or ice pillar that prevents me from rolling out of the way and I have to start the entire thing over.

It's one of those fights where I feel like I could do a better job of winning using my own human body and abilities rather than a powerful video game character's.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cloks posted:

maybe Sony will work on putting out as many as four games in a year now that their feet are being held to the fire

There are more than four this year.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

American McGay posted:

Horizon, GT7....................... Ragnarok assuming that's not delayed and....

Forspoken. Ghostwire. Stray. Sifu looks good. Babylon's Fall looks very bad.

Forspoken is my hot tip for shittest major game of the year. It will be worse than Days Gone.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hatty posted:

I thought people like days gone? Never played it because modern zombie media is dull as dirt but I heard the actual game was sound

Some loud likers say it's good. I got it off PS collection and ehhhh. It wasn't a very good game.

American McGay posted:

I'm hype for Stray. Is that just console exclusive aka is it coming out on PC too?

Stray is PC too. So is Sifu I think, it looks rad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

I still can't wrap my head around the Star Wars franchise in it's entirety being worth 4 billion dollars and a company like activision being bought for 70 billion. poo poo, even minecraft was bought for 2 billion, like 7 years ago. That's half of Star Wars and it's one game made by basically one guy in his basement. The money getting thrown around in the game industry is hard to comprehend.

When you buy corporate minnows Activision and Blizzard, you also get the silent behemoth, King.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, it really is interesting to see how they go about it. Traditionally the answer would be that of course their big Activision games would not come out on PS anymore, but with Microsoft it's genuinely up in the air.

On the one hand, Minecraft is out on everything. On the other hand, they've said big Bethesda games like Starfield will be Xbox exclusives.

I mean ultimately it doesn't matter to me but it'll be interesting.

Pretty sure it's as simple as old things remain on market, new things go to game pass.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I bought PS3 purely for the aesthetic and I'd do it again

exquisite tea posted:

Video game publishers are beginning to discover what music industry owners have known for decades... Just remaster/re-release your back catalogues unto eternity for very little overhead instead of risking millions on projects that aren't guaranteed to sell.

Yeah Sony are the largest or maybe second largest music label in the world they know how to play the game

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Big Xbox is good for American national security imo it will be allowed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've been using game piss on PC for over a year on and off and never looked at this thread once because I didn't want to talk about low rent indie games and old Xbox games with Republican voters.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hatty posted:

$400 in the US :eyepop:
I bought the 1TB for $190 and it seems to more than enough if you’re not a call of duty player

Median incomes in Aus dollar pretty much pan out to that difference

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Escobarbarian posted:

What is “cope”? I never heard the term until this acquisition

It's some cspam thing

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I got to the open world part of that game, went "ew" and never touched it again lmao

I forced myself through it and there was nothing on the other side. 5 was a massive letdown playing it back to back with 4. I got to the end and was like yeah any enthusiasm for playing another one of these is dead and it was all down to making horrendous choices with flavour of the month "open world" bits and a story that straight up sucks. Felt like a huge missed opportunity because I considered 4 to be really strong once it warmed up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I wish I liked hitman games.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Blue Raider posted:

I wish I liked the new ones, but they just feel like watered down Blood Money

I liked the demo of the first game because the triad guys would yell "this guy's packing!" in a comical way when you pulled an Uzi outside the Chinese restaurant but beyond that I've always found them a bit boring.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anno posted:

Is CoD really waning as a series? I know Vanguard didn't do too hot but I thought Warzone (and mobile for that matter) were still huge.

Warzone is steadily on the way down and Vanguard didn't do great but still a top selling game for the year.

I think cod will always be popular but will probably keep sliding away without a surprise hit release that changes it up or just goes the extra mile.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anno posted:

That’s the part I wasn’t aware of. I thought Warzone was just as strong as ever.

In related news:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1486107899948642310

Yeah been on the decline for a while.

Not surprising that Activision have distribution signed for cod titles years in advance.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Vanguard was the first COD game to not outsell the previous year, I think ever. I don't know if I'd call that a while.

Thing I read was that it sold like 30% less but was still third best selling for the year

Also was saying Warzone has been declining for a while

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Any PC game piss players have a go at this vampire themed Crusader Kings (if it's even like that) game? It sounds fun but idk if I want to dedicate ten hours to learning a spreadsheet/strategy game and then have it never do anything interesting.

E: apparently it's on console too, also seems more like Might and Magic?

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 26, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Real hurthling! posted:

Whats the title

Immortal Realms Vampire Wars

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

Which is the better version of Republic Commando, the original Xbox version on Series or the remaster they did last year?

The remaster is "better" graphically because it's pretty crisp and runs smooth, but it's the exact same game which feels pretty worn out compared to modern games. I still think it's fun tho and that it's worth playing the remastered version.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Darkness is a baller game! The sequel is also really good.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah, I'll probably get the remaster on PS5 then. I assume it's the same case for KOTOR?

KOTOR is a horrendous game to play.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm always confused at the battery life of my Xbox controller since it doesn't really do anything. It also feels nasty to touch but I don't want to start complaining about the controller I'll be here all day!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

American McGay posted:

What the hell is wrong with you? The Series controller rules and it lasts about 3x as long as a DS4.

The DS4 was bad on battery. The X controller feels horrible and is too small. Feels cheap.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sorry you don't live a lux life.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

JBP why do you have a hotspring in your head

Idk I don't know anything about 4chan

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Escape Goat posted:

Try wiping the Dorito nacho cheese residue off

Isn't that why they went with the disgusting plastic grip finish in the first place? The nacho cheese might make it more comfortable, good suggestion.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

?!!! What?!!! No way

Yeah I get maybe 6 hours playing a game that doesn't use the haptics, but something like Returnal eats it up fast. I don't really have time for long sessions tho so I just plug it in and it never runs out.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 27, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Escobarbarian posted:

It lasts for several hours after the low battery thing comes up, maybe that’s confusing you? But yeah I easily get at least 10 hours out of it even when playing haptic-heavy stuff

I think you got one forged by cerny himself

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

I'm kinda getting bored of Nobody Saves the World too, but for the opposite reasons. In ARPGs I generally like to find a character build I enjoy and focus on doing that well but the game throws so many gimmick challenges at you that you can't really settle into a build before having to chase more XP.

The Ascent round 2

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Love some Xbox gamer drama

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah mine doesn't run out but I feel like I get the warning all the time. Tbh whenever the warning comes up I look at the time and think Christ do something else for a while so maybe that's good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Twerk from Home posted:

Microsoft are almost certainly planning to introduce a streaming only Xbox that's like $70 with a controller or some poo poo, that's clearly what the Xcloud beta is ramping up to.

How many people in the world will actually be able to play and enjoy streaming games in let's say 2025? Most governments seem to stop developing residential infrastructure the moment Netflix works.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I love Destiny and played both games a lot. The writing in Destiny 2 is legit good along with the shooting and gameplay being fun. I burned out on 2 a while ago but I really enjoyed playing it with mates doing raids and stuff.

Also it's a good game to get high and play because you're basically running around in beautiful 70s panel van art casting spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nah the "lore" I guess you could call it has good writing, but it's all text. Whoever does the text walls kills it.