Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
the new wolfenstein games are best played on easy difficulty and just loving obliterating nazis as hard as you can

extremely fun that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I pre-ordered RDR2 for Xbox One X just now, it shows the install size as 88.57GB. So a little bit smaller than the supposed 105GB being thrown around.

does that include a day 1 patch

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

BattleTech posted:

PS4 is listed as 105, Xbox is 88. I really wanna know what the difference is.

almost certainly just uncompressed audio for regions where the xbone version shouldn't be worth the increase in file size right

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I added a bunch of games to my download queue the other night and went to bed. Now they are showing as installed in my Games folder but when I try to launch them I see a "Make sure you're signed in to Xbox Live, and look for it in Microsoft Store. (0x80270254)"

When I select "Manage games and add-ons," I see that the game is installed, and can even prompt the uninstall option, but can't launch the game.

Anyone else ever see this? What gives?

e: Uninstalling them doesn't actually free up any space. I guess the system turned off due to idle rather than finishing the downloads and then turning off and just populated the games as being done? Ugh.

Hopefully this 71gb Forza Horizon 4 file is at least partially downloaded. Gonna retry that once The Master Chief Collection finishes.

e2: The files are indeed partly downloaded. That's kinda lame. I wish the console wouldn't turn off to idle while stuff's downloading. :argh:

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 18, 2019

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Talkc posted:

spank me daddy attitude

New thread title plz

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I've been playing Gears 5 on pc and haven't seen an achievement pop up yet, are there no achievements on Game Pass Ultimate on pc?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

get that OUT of my face posted:

God, I shudder whenever I hear the term "whales" used in the context of video game business models. It's dehumanizing, disgusting, and wrong.

just like gamers themselves!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Control loving slaps, I loved the setting and story.

I wish it ran better though, and I played on an X.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

The only technical issue I experienced was after unpausing the game it would chug bad for a second or two. It did get a little annoying after awhile.

I felt like the whole game was framey, and the menus were frustratingly laggy. It felt like it was chugging at times. The controls felt thick because of it.

I understand it's because of all the particle physics of poo poo blowing up real good, and the effects are nice, but I probably would trade a solid 60fps throughout for that.

Different folks are more forgiving of that stuff, just kinda my biggest complaint about that game. Also some of the boss runs are annoyingly far from the checkpoints, and I'm a Souls fan.

e: but that stuff against it, I would not bat an eye at people calling it their GOTY. That game owns overall.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

i cant believe these people, probably trump voters, are laughing at me

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

El_Elegante posted:

Like the player character? Or is there a baby shaking peripheral?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx5n0nDXQJ0&t=619s

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Barudak posted:

It will be $500 and come with a disc copy of fusion frenzy

that's more like it

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

The proper way to play the new Wolf games is by dropping the difficulty to easy and just rip and tearing Nazi scum as a godlike Terror Billy.

I love all those games (TNC is fantastic, I love how ridiculous it is), but I insta-uninstalled Youngblood when I got to the first fight, headshotted a dude and saw numbers pop out of his still-living skull as he shot me back.

I like making numbers get bigger and looter shooter stuff, but I want no part of that in my Wolfenstein games.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Does anyone itt know how EA Play handles their new games? I see that some newer games like Star Wars Squadrons are on GamePass through EA Play, but I'm wondering if EA supports their platform like Xbox does with putting stuff up day one.

Wondering if I'm going to regret buying Mass Effect Legendary Edition through Steam since I can get it there $10 off for owning ME3 if it's just going to be included with my GamePass sub.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Okay, cool, thanks for the responses. I'll probably just end up buying it, then. Thanks.

joylessdivision posted:

Pretty sure there's a discount on Legendary with EA Play/Gamepass on Xbox. I pre-ordered it a couple days after it was announced and it was discounted a little.

I think it's 10%, and I'd save a little more on Steam. Buuuuut I do have a Series X coming in this weekend, and maybe I'll want something to play on that this Summer. Probably just wait til a week before release and just flip a coin.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Blue Raider posted:

I really like the remake, but it added a ton of stuff for better or worse (especially its dogshit ending). Midgar makes up maybe 10% of FF7, so if you’re digging the story and gameplay so far, you’ll likely love it all the way through.

I played 8 before 7 and it had realisticish character models, and it was a little hard to swallow the FF7 sprites at first. It’s a good enough game that that wore off, though.

People keep saying stuff like this, but in original FF7 Midgar takes close to 8 hours of gameplay to finish and holds 30% of the game's scripted dialogue.

Source: Tim Rogers' insane youtube review of FF7R

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Laserface posted:

Which is kinda baseless. There's no gameplay shown or anything. The next big shooter has to be more hot than BR is now and I don't see halo doing that.

They showed gameplay last year, dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZtc5-syeAk&t=208s

I don't think it's gonna be "massive" or whatever, but their objective to make a Halo platform that sets up the next ten years of the game could be cool, whatever that looks like, whether it's a live game or a looter thing or something we haven't seen before. I imagine they'll break it out and be a f2p thing, but beyond that :shrug:

e: I specifically mean whatever the multiplayer thing they havent shown is. I fully expect the campaign to be a middling open world deal that might still be fun enough.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 1, 2021

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Has anybody experienced or heard about a Series X (or Series S, I guess) having a crash of nowhere problem? No overheating warnings, nothing, just a beep, my controller vibrates for a second and then a black screen and the console is completely off, while my controller flashes the Home button, like it can't find a signal. I reboot the console, no warnings about turning it off properly like a computer might do or anything like that, no corrupted data, everything's fine, like nothing happened. Very weird.

It happened twice in the first week I had it, about a month ago back to back in an hour while playing Madden 21. I figured it was a problem with Madden, uninstalled, and haven't seen anything like it since. Have had the console running for probably 100-150 hours since, lots of gameplay, but I also turned off power saving and left it idling at the home screen while I do other things a lot, just to see if it would do it again, to see if it was maybe a power supply problem but it's been fine until just now while playing Nier Automata.

The first couple times it happened the console was plugged into the same surge protector as my pc and playstation, and no other device has this problem. I moved the plug to the wall socket directly anyway, as the troubleshooting said to. And that's where it's plugged in when it just crashed now.

I know Series X's can have bad power supplies, but I figured that problem would be a lot more consistent. I've had this thing on a lot since I got it-- but could it be that random? I can probably go through customer service for a replacement just citing a power supply problem, and probably will before the year warranty is up, but, ugh.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Ray tracing on console is going to be a total poo poo show of compromises for a long time sadly

Considering the new consoles are RTX 2000 level, it's gonna be like that until the .5 upgrade versions.

It takes a special combination of good DLSS, ray tracing and all around optimization for me to maintain high frame rates on my pc's 2070 Super. I think the only game I've played more than 10 minutes with it on so far is Control.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

Has anybody experienced or heard about a Series X (or Series S, I guess) having a crash of nowhere problem? No overheating warnings, nothing, just a beep, my controller vibrates for a second and then a black screen and the console is completely off, while my controller flashes the Home button, like it can't find a signal. I reboot the console, no warnings about turning it off properly like a computer might do or anything like that, no corrupted data, everything's fine, like nothing happened. Very weird.

It happened twice in the first week I had it, about a month ago back to back in an hour while playing Madden 21. I figured it was a problem with Madden, uninstalled, and haven't seen anything like it since. Have had the console running for probably 100-150 hours since, lots of gameplay, but I also turned off power saving and left it idling at the home screen while I do other things a lot, just to see if it would do it again, to see if it was maybe a power supply problem but it's been fine until just now while playing Nier Automata.

The first couple times it happened the console was plugged into the same surge protector as my pc and playstation, and no other device has this problem. I moved the plug to the wall socket directly anyway, as the troubleshooting said to. And that's where it's plugged in when it just crashed now.

I know Series X's can have bad power supplies, but I figured that problem would be a lot more consistent. I've had this thing on a lot since I got it-- but could it be that random? I can probably go through customer service for a replacement just citing a power supply problem, and probably will before the year warranty is up, but, ugh.

So I sent it in for repair on Monday and just got shipping notice that it's coming back, be here Tuesday (but probably able to get it from the shipper on Monday).

Serial number on the order form looks the same, and I don't see anything regarding what they did to repair. On the Device page on my Microsoft account it says "No Issues Found" under the console's status, the same as it states under both my Xbox One's.

I was hoping they would replace a power supply or just snap send me a new one, but I bet they opened it up, saw nothing obviously wrong and are just shipping it back. Be cool if there was some sort of notice as to what they did/attempted rather than this automated crap :sigh:

At the very least I'm hooking it up with my Xbox One X's power and hdmi cables when it gets back, maybe one of those was weird and tripping something in the motherboard or psu. :shrug:

My warranty runs until next March. I guess if the problem presents again I'll call and get a real person on the line and make a stink or something.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

insane to me that there exist people that did not like re7

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

So I sent it in for repair on Monday and just got shipping notice that it's coming back, be here Tuesday (but probably able to get it from the shipper on Monday).

Serial number on the order form looks the same, and I don't see anything regarding what they did to repair. On the Device page on my Microsoft account it says "No Issues Found" under the console's status, the same as it states under both my Xbox One's.

I was hoping they would replace a power supply or just snap send me a new one, but I bet they opened it up, saw nothing obviously wrong and are just shipping it back. Be cool if there was some sort of notice as to what they did/attempted rather than this automated crap :sigh:

At the very least I'm hooking it up with my Xbox One X's power and hdmi cables when it gets back, maybe one of those was weird and tripping something in the motherboard or psu. :shrug:

My warranty runs until next March. I guess if the problem presents again I'll call and get a real person on the line and make a stink or something.

Got my repair console back and the return sheet says they checked basically everything they could that did not actually involve opening the console: HDMI port, SSD, fan, Ethernet port, disc drive, eject button, power button, on board speaker, mechanical noise, controller pairing, wifi and USB port.

Extremely bummed that they did not bother checking the PSU when I sent it in citing a power problem. As far as I can tell there is no way to actually speak to a human being through Xbox support, at least through the website or email. I guess I could hunt a 800 number down but I suspect they've automated everything post-COVID, so kind of at a loss as to what you're supposed to do beyond trying to find a new unit in a store and returning your existing defective console in that box, hoping they don't actually check serial numbers.

Good luck finding one to do that trickery with though. :sigh:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I still don’t get why people think any more Bethesda games are gonna be on PS, apart from the few stragglers already locked in to contracts

We live in a world where Xbox games are on Switch and PlayStation games are on Xbox

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

And all of those come with circumstances that make them the exceptions that prove the rule.

my point is there are no rules, we live in an age of chaos!!!

but yeah phil spencer said those games would be exclusive to platforms that have gamepass so they probably won't be on playstation unless sony gives in and lets microsoft put gamepass on ps5, which isn't gonna happen.

i imagine that's going to be the company refrain in the coming years as a way to leverage other platform holders like sony and nintendo and maybe steam to host and advertise gamepass.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

John F Bennett posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW6DVmAuMXs

The King’s Bird ($19.99 ERP): Available June 1 to 30
    Shadows: Awakening ($29.99 ERP): Available June 16 to July 15
    NeoGeo Battle Coliseum ($9.99 ERP): Available June 1 to 15
    Injustice: Gods Among Us ($19.99 ERP): Available June 16 to 30

Has every other game already been on GWG orrrrrr whaaaaat

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

my uncle at square says get ready to enjoy ff16 only on xbox this holiday season!!!!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Jedi Fallen Order owns, it's Soulsborne for babies with cool Star Wars poo poo

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

viva pinata 3 is a f2p gacha game with tity anime ladies and six season passes a year

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Oh it’s coming to Switch???

vita only, sorry

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Majere posted:

So uh 8 month later, still can't buy an xbox anywhere? (Not paying a scalper $1000+)

check back in mid-2022

e: Series S shows up in stock and sticks around more, often on Microsoft's webstore

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

infraboy posted:

Can someone convince me to keep the series X I got off Target if I already have a PS5 and RTX 3080 equipped PC?

Not really interested in current gamrpass offerings, I could see myself playing cross platform games on it as the most convincing argument to myself.

No, sell it

I use mine all the time and I have a gaming pc, but I like GamePass

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

this dark alliance game loving sucks. it can't hold a framerate on a XSX, every input feels like you're playing on a tv with awful input lag, and it's boring.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

in contrast to dark alliance i installed minecraft dungeons because i just wanted to play something like diablo, and it is delightful.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

installed doom eternal to check out the ray tracing and the reflections of the character model make the mirrors in duke 3d look good

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

What’s the best way to pick up a series x these days? Is there a recommended Twitter follow or discord?

wario64 on twitter posts whenever they go up on online retailers, and they tend to stick around for long enough to get one if you see his post within a handful of minutes or so

you could just set an alert whenever he posts and have your information already saved in bestbuy and the microsoft store, and wherever else he links to

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

irpoweroutlet posted:

The 360 also had a system wide setting that would set all games vertical look to invert. Don’t know why that disappeared either

Because invert look is Wrong

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

The wrong way

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Max Payne on PS2 broke me of my invert perversion. Aiming with standard controls makes more sense to me now as I imagine my crosshairs are my eyeballs looking around or actually just pointing a gun at stuff.

The real sickos are the people who invert mouse look on PC.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

John F Bennett posted:

My first fps where you could look up and down was actually Halo 1, the one I played before that was classic Doom and you couldn't look up then, I played it with the arrow keys on pc.

When you start up Halo 1 there is a test to check inverted vs abnormal look and I guess the first one just stuck with me. Probably because of having played a lot of flightsims on pc back in the time.

So no matter what direction you hit during that Halo 1 tutorial, the camera should pan up. It was dynamic IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

The first online shooters I owned were Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 Arena

On Dreamcast

Playing on dial up