Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

irpoweroutlet posted:

I think it really depends on how new your tv and receiver are. If you have an older receiver and a 4K tv, you probably want to run hdmi from the Xbox to the tv, and then run a cable from the optical out on your tv to your receiver.

If you have an hdmi 2.1 receiver, you can probably get HDMI Arc/eArc to work. Here’s some info on it:

https://www.lifewire.com/audio-return-channel-1846845

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong here, I haven’t really dealt with much in the way of modern surround systems.

You're right, except ARC has been around for a long while, so there's pretty good odds the receiver will support it even if it doesn't support latest HDMI specs. That would let you avoid needing an optical cable.

Or buy a new receiver so you don't need to change inputs on the TV :retrogames:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Laserface posted:

Does that mean that there is a bunch of people buying series X that didn't have bones itt? Everyone redownloading poo poo seems to suggest that.

This is what I find so odd about all the reviews I've been seeing. They're all like "well there's no strong reason to buy it because you can already play everything on your Xbox One" and I'm like, I never had an Xbox One. The backwards compat is a huge feature and the whole Xbone catalog is a great reason to buy the thing. Why does every reviewer assume everyone has an Xbone?

PS4 was whatever. I miss Forza and Halo, guys.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

There is only one true gaming headset. I refuse to recognize any others.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I care about Halo a lot and oooof. Still, better late than crap, and I have good feelings towards Staten.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Watched that Halo MP trailer and I'm gonna be so annoyed if I can't buy an Xbox by the time that comes out.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

If you want a series x, use the hotstock app (its free). I started looking last Thursday and secured one this Monday. Hotstock is the way to go for Xbox because local targets are regularly getting stock in stores that you can buy via the target app (I used the Twitter method for PS5)

Thanks for this tip! Target never panned out despite a ton of notifications, but Best Buy popped last week and I was able to snag one which I picked up tonight.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The Witness is one of my favorite games of the past decade. Don't bother with the audio logs, they are meaningless trash. Just enjoy the excellent puzzles and cool art and environment.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

I’m sure there was more to The Witness than the puzzles, but I didn’t enjoy the puzzle enough to play dozens of variations on it.

I did enjoy The Talos Principle tho.

No, the puzzles are pretty much it. It's all about discovering the rules of each symbol and then exploring those rules, corner cases, and how the rules interact with each other. It's a masterpiece of puzzle game design and nonverbal communication. It's fine if it's not for everyone, but it's really good at what it does.

Also cool art.

It is nothing at all like Myst. It has more in common with those puzzle magazines at the grocery store checkout aisle than Myst.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

elf help book posted:

Let's get some Myst achievements

Draw a dick in the green square grid. -- 15 GP

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

I read all three Myst tie in novels as a kid

Were they good?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Twelve Minutes isn't perfect, but it was worth the 3~4 hours. Cool idea, decently executed. Worth playing. It's the kind of thing I hope GamePass is able to fund, I love short little experimental games like that which I may not have otherwise paid for.

Really dumb that they reset my progress after the ending I got. I would've liked to have explored more of the endings, as the one I got was extremely ambiguous and I guess from reading articles other endings are somewhat more clear, but I'm not playing through that again from the beginning.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 24, 2021

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I like racing sims and doing hundreds of the same lap over and over again aiming for perfection so please don't mess with Forza thanks. You can do whatever you like with Horizon.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Myst is a cool game. It's also from 1993, so you know, temper your expectations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

It says "halo" on the box.

Honestly, yeah. I've been playing Halo for twenty years. Thousands of matches. I know how it plays and the way it feels and the weapons and the maps and the characters and the multiplayer medals and the way matches flow and the universe and the in-jokes. Halo is home and I'm excited for the next one.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yeah, the high TTK is the biggest thing that keeps me on Halo and away from other shooters. It's fun being able to react to someone getting the drop on you and even turn the fight around and win it. When I play other shooters it's more about who can click on the other guy first, so the focus is much more on sneaking than combat.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Couple weeks ago I went to Best Buy to get a new SSD since mine fried. Asked a guy where the internal drives were and he walked me over to a pile of spinning disks and I was like, I didn't even know they still make these.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

So... I'll be that guy for a moment and ask what websites should I turn towards to grab a Series X? I picked up a PS5 earlier this year thanks to Wario64's twitter feed, but is there any other places I should keep an eye on?

I used the Hotstock app. Took a couple weeks but eventually snagged one from Best Buy.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I got through the first 3 planets in Exo One and I'm not really sure I understand what this game is trying to be. I don't know what exactly I was expecting from the preview videos, but I wanted it to be a fast-paced atmospheric space racer like Skyroads. Instead you spend about 75% of the time in this slow awkward ball form trying to get enough momentum to glide for about 10 seconds before you come crashing back down to earth again. The controls feel bad and I struggled a lot trying to keep myself airborne for any length of time. There aren't any hazards or failure states as far as I can tell so the entire game is just you rolling from one end of the map to the other, trying and mostly failing to stay in the air. I don't understand how people tested this game and were like "the cool flying through otherworldly clouds part? Let's make that something you can do for a only a couple seconds. The rest of the time you're a fuckin' egg."

FWIW I has the same experience. Last night I got to the 6th or so world where you roll around in this huge metal ball that obscures your vision, got stuck in a corner on some level geometry, and decided it wasn't fun enough to continue, and went over to Tetris Effect instead.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Tetris Effect review: this game is an amazing work of art and I hate it because I'm terrible at puzzle games.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I can't believe places like Wal-Mart and Amazon actually allow scalping. especially on items they are currently carrying and are just out of stock on. With how much they blur the lines between first and 3rd party sellers it just makes them look bad. I see it a lot with Lego too.

Like, Ebay sure. But actual retailers shouldn't be doing that.

Amazon, Wal-Mart, Newegg, and any of those other platforms that allow 3rd party sellers are all basically just eBay now. It sucks and I've stopped buying from them. If I want eBay, I'll go to eBay.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I liked 12 Minutes. It's not going to blow your mind but it's a fun little point and click era adventure game. I think I was done in 4 or 5 hours iirc.

Forgotten City was fine. I got one ending and don't feel like going back.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Filtered.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lammasu posted:

Anyone here played DOA 4? I have it on my wish list(which doesn't work) and I find the idea of playing a fighting game as a Spartan Mommy interesting.

I played a poo poo load back in high school. Good game. What do you want to know? From a lore perspective it's pretty weird to watch a Spartan in full armor get thrown around by tiny high schoolers.

E: Also the Halo arena takes place in a very memorable scene from Halo 2 which is pretty neat.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 30, 2021

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

FunOne posted:

I have 5 Microsoft Fun bucks expiring on the 1st. I have Gamepass Ultimate. I don't have any IAPs / cosmetics that I want. What else can I do with it?

Death's Door

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

Depends on age, but on game pass
-Paw Patrol (one on GP, one not)
-Donut County
-Minecraft
-Minecraft Dungeons
-Rain on your Parade

I've been delighted by Rain on Your Parade. Cute game and tons of fun references to other game series. Easy recommend if you're looking for something chill.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Red Warrior posted:

Goldeneye soon?
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1477108966513467392

Wonder if we'll get like a simultaneous Xbox/Switch drop.

There's no way. There's no way, right? Right?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Goroga is cool, easy recommend if you like short, artsy games.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Ubisoft are the undisputed kings of making games I have absolutely zero interest in. Bethesda in a distant second place.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

tensai posted:

I will take them at their face and I think it might have been an accident. But man, the internet freakout today was something.

You will NOT screw with me in the middle of my FF6 romhack playthrough, Mr Xbox.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

404notfound posted:

Speaking of lag, I can't seem to get rid of a bit of delay in my setup of an LG CX, Series X, and Roku Smart Soundbar (set up with eARC). I've tried messing with all the audio options on both the TV and the Xbox, and certain combinations have less delay than others, but I can't get it down to being as good as through the internal TV speakers. Would anyone happen to have some ideas to fix it that don't require buying another expensive piece of equipment?

Maybe you tried this already, are you sure the TV is in "game mode"? I think it's in the picture settings. Anyway that fixed a bunch of latency and dropped frames issues on my LG, worth checking.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The best button on any gaming controller is the Skip Cutscene button.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

welcome posted:

poo poo, no way am I going to finish 5 in two weeks and I'm also now going to be 0/3 on finishing a FF before it leaves gamepass lol.

How did people feel about Octopath? Thinking about buying it and probably never playing it but maybe playing it.

I liked it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

Is that good? I've never heard of it.

They're Japanese visual novels. Not dissimilar to Ace Attorney (Phoenix Wright). They're popular within that genre for a reason, but if you're not into that kind of thing, they aren't going to change your mind.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You could pay for seven JWSTs with just one Activision.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lammasu posted:

Should I talk about Danganrompa here or is their a VN thread? The search function is super fucky,

You can talk about it here but also there is a thread for it. Here is a thread that contains an alphabetized list of threads about specific games: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952822

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

dr_rat posted:

I could see Gamepass doing the supermarket junkfood thing, of not increasing the price, but just including more higher tier stuff, so basic pass is still cheap to get people in, but mostly has the old library, with one or two newer release, then most of the AAA being behind high tiers, or outright purchases.

I think MS is well aware it doesn't want to price people out. Having a huge amount of subscribers paying you small amounts of regular cash still adds up to quite a bit. If they can get more off gamers who are more then welling to spend more, they will definitely try to though.

Making suckers pay extra for the AAA trash sounds like a good deal to me.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

There was an article where they mentioned it was a combination of more powerful hardware allowing for more efficient compression (hence no version of H3 on previous gen consoles) and reworking the file structures of the game so there was nothing episodic about it anymore. I imagine that there used to be a boatload of duplicate files.

Edit: Not sure why I typed that out instead of just finding the article.
https://www.pcgamer.com/how-hitman-3s-devs-shrank-the-entire-trilogys-install-size-by-over-80gb/

Cool article, thanks for the link. I'm really glad the Hitman trilogy has done so well, IOI seem like good people.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I really like it when people are mean to other people on the internet. We could really use more of that in these trying times.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

It’s wild that the installment that was supposed to be a return to form for battlefield possibly killed the franchise for an indefinite amount of time.

I can’t believe I bought the deluxe version of it :sigh:

I feel like everyone goes through that last pre-order or launch-week purchase where they get totally screwed, and that turns them to the never-preorder, wait-for-reviews camp.

For me, the last straw was Destiny. Never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

I've kinda fallen off gaming in the past few years, but I recently had The Forgotten City recommended to me. It sounded like something different, so I played it and it was fantastic.

Anyone have any recommendations for other games in this vein? I've seen both "12 Minutes" and "Outer Wilds" recommended - are either of them any good?

Outer Wilds is one of the best games of the past decade.

12 Minutes is a fun one-or-two sitting experience. Go in expecting an old-school point-and-click adventure game and you'll have a good time.