Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

BrightWing posted:

Question from me and my raid group: what happens if O7s rot explodes?

60k+ hit to the entire party. Don't let it, essentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Man I've tried to come up with a "these are the problems with Eureka" post like four times now, speaking as a FFXI expat who was very familiar with the FFXI system that they were obviously trying to emulate, and I can't. It just gets jumbled up in a frustrated red haze of anger.

I legit can't believe they hosed this up to such a degree. There is an entire, well-documented plan for introducing a self-contained area that players are free to explore and grind through to obtain artifact gear and new relic weapons, it's called Abyssea, the fuckers in the XI dev team were able to pull it off nine times and reversed course after a pretty disastrous expansion in the process. It was pretty much the best attempt in XI to respect the players time and provide good returns for effort invested, and it was the closest XI ever got to the more modern MMO sensibilities that FFXIV does so well.

And instead they just lazily added grinding mobs and an unreasonable storefront for your artifiact gear and weapons. Man, gently caress off. Just because unreasonable hell grinds are what people remember from FFXI doesn't mean we liked it, assholes! You remember trauma longer then pleasant times.

Gonna be legit honest here: I have been giving the dev team the benefit of the doubt since early Heavensward but at this point I would almost prefer the redirect their focus back to the smaller instanced content. It seems every time they take a step away from 4-man and 24-man linearity, or 8-man raids in simple geometric arenas, they immediately faceplant. PoD was basically the only exception to this in like three years.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Verranicus posted:

I like that everyone on the OF is saying "its just hitting mobs for rare drops" after months of "make something like Dynamis from FFXI" and that's exactly what Dynamis was

Dynamis was actually fairly linear progression through a quasi-instanced area, and while there was a lot of hitting mobs for rare drops it was neither random nor endless in it's fighting. There were specific groups of mobs that had to be pulled in specific orders that necessitated a bit of strategy and positioning oh god someone pulled the death house in dynamis-windy PANIC and it always culminated with a boss fight.

Pretty much every 24 man raid in XIV is Dynamis, with 90% of the excess fat removed and better production quality.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Eureka is intended to best be played in a group of 4-8 of a relatively standard party composition.

etc etc etc

I did exactly this for a couple hours, so let me provide some context for people thinking, oh, it's just day 1, people haven't figured out what the gently caress yet:

It's still awful. It's still you getting through 1/3 of your rotation at a mob that does nothing and then falls over, and then you go kill his buddy, and then you go kill his buddy, and then you go kill his buddy, and then the first mob has respawned. Loops around a loving tree. Was it faster then some group that didn't know anything? Sure. Fast enough? It would never be fast enough.

What's really funny, what had me in stitches listening to reports from friends, was that it's actually faster leveling to join and then a couple of minutes later leave instances to cycle through them until you land one one that has an NM spawn, because they give so much more xp. So here we are: after two expansions, and three attempts at diadem, the optimal way to level is still camping loving fates. What a world.

THIS is what's going to kill Eureka, the dual facts that A) reasonable progression in collecting crystals is (presumably) locked behind high elemental levels and B) The process of getting powerful enough to qualify for A is just incredibly boring. Boring even for MMO hellgrind standards.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

wait in what crazy world is fate camping still the optimal way to level

I guess a better way to say it is we're back to fate camping being the optimal way to level. I was pretty tilted when I wrote that. I've been tilted for awhile over this, really, but I doubt i'm alone. Monster Hunter is getting me back to an even keel, though.

It's probably not optimal at higher levels but I didn't get that far; up to like level 5 though, a NM kill will give you 2000-3500 xp, and it takes no time at all to zone into a Eureka, poke around for a minute, and then exit and re-enter. Everyone's doing it, there are dozens and dozens of separate instances up, and you go into a new one every time. Eventually you find one with an active NM and go kill it, then repeat.

If you get super lucky this is orders of magnitude faster then finding a party and grinding mobs; if you get unlucky it's about the same but far less mind-numbing because you don't have to pay any attention. Additionally, you get the lockboxes from NMs for glamour gear, mounts, and minions, and NMs drop the second kind of crystal (anemos crystals) which Geralt will break down into multiple regular crystals. Or save them for relic, I guess.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Shere posted:

Eureka is bad independent of every secondary issue it has because it's basically patronizing as gently caress.

"Here's a baser-urge grind that involves making hp bars get empty ad-nauseum."

That's what a major developer of an extremely popular MMO thinks is content in 2018.

Talking out issues with the piddly poo poo like the best strategies for it, the crystals taking up inventory space for some loving reason, the random drops being untradeable, etc. is stupid because it legitimizes the base content in doing so. It's all dead on arrival tied to something as conceptually anachronistic as Eureka.

It's sort of funny because after doing the NM train life for a lockout or two I sort of get what they're going for with Eureka it's just scaled all wrong.

Eureka actually comes alive when you fight a boss that can survive 5-10 minutes of the entire instance pounding on it while dropping a few simple but deceptively tricky mechanics to make sure you're awake during the process. I mean, poo poo, Number almost sold me on the entire Eureka concept by itself whenever the summoned Garms sent the fight spiralling wildly out of control. That stuff is a laugh riot. Not to mention that in terms of raw numbers efficiently murdering your way through the available NMs is faster levelling, faster crystal acquisition, and gives you some of the cosmetic stuff like minions or glamour gear that people enjoy.

Plus, right now, we only have common access to something like 6-7 NM fights in an instance when datamining indicates there are NMs going straight up to elemental level 20; the player base just isn't leveled up enough yet for later ones.

This actually does harken back to the FFXI inspiration for Abyssea where all the roving pack mobs were just means to an end. You murdered trash mobs to pop the bigger bosses which is what you were actually there for. That was the intended content, not sitting in place killing regular mobs. FFXIV has changed that concept considerably to accommodate the fact that instead of separate groups working on separate goals it's an entire instance collaborating but the core idea is there. Frankly that's comforting compared to my initial impression which like everyone else was pretty scathing.

Right now it's just a bit too slow to be properly enjoyable. If they had cut the required trash kills by a third or even a half of what they are now, and reduce the respawn timers for NMs to maybe 60 minutes, that would keep everything flowing better. It's possible that having access to higher level NMs will fix this problem, at least.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Number broke my brain and had me sware off Eureka due to the culling. It was a good reminder that I hate poo poo tier mechanics that exist due to "legacy".

Eve Online at least let me afk while killing NPCs ad nauseum.

Man that's the best part when you're trying to stay on top of the Garm and someone else pulls aggro and it walks two steps and vanishes. OH poo poo! Where's the Garm?! You have to walk out in a spiral searching for it until it loads back in.

It's annoying yes but in the long run Garms haven't yet killed an entire NM attempt for me and there are (should be) plenty of people raising the many dead bodies that build up. As long as you've gotten even a couple minutes of damage against Number you've secured the full reward so the fight getting out of hand just seems funny and exciting.

Fake Edit: It helps whenever you get a Number fight where tanks know to drag the Garms directly on top of Number too, which makes it a lot more straightforward.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Cythereal posted:

So, finished Xelphatol and have to say... the Warriors of Darkness are the silliest, dumbest bad guys this game has offered yet, and I'm including the Hildibrand story lines by that measure. Am I supposed to take these gothy idiots seriously?

The Warriors of Darkness are pretty much entirely saved by Arbert's voice actor. They sat that guy in a studio and said "be angry. Be really, really, really angry, all the time, and just send that fury through the microphone" and drat if he didn't do exactly that. They're still kinda stupid and the payoff of their plot is really not worth it but you have to respect that Arbert gives 110% in every cutscene he's voiced.

E: The entire WoD plot in general fails because it's entire point is to elaborate upon the multi-expansion meta-arc of Ascians being dickbags trying to collapse reality for Evil Reasons. But this goal fails before it starts because no one really gives a poo poo about the Ascian plot as they're consistently overshadowed due to the actual expansions playing up elements in Ishgard and later Garlemald as expansion-focused antagonists.

Those same antagonists are more compelling then the Ascians will ever be because they have entire expansions fleshing them out while the Ascians just lurk around in the background being the most generic of generic evil they can possibly be. They won't really be interesting until they decide to approach Zodiark and the Ascian plans directly and we all know that probably won't be until 6.0 at earliest.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 18, 2018

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Nessus posted:

I don't quite get why Zenos appeals so deeply to people, though. I mean, I understood his role and he carried it out, and this is certainly a Final Fantasy archetype, but it seems like there's some part of him that appeals to many deeply, and which I just don't perceive.

Zenos' english VA is, by loving miles, the best voice in the entire cast. Every once in awhile I load up the CS immediately before the royal menagerie so I can listen to him belt out his monologue again and chew the scenery to absolute shreds.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Nothing in the Titan lead-in makes a lot of sense, honestly.

Y'Shtola going "well this is gonna be really stupid" and peaceing the gently caress out for the entire arc makes perfect sense.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Guys.... I'm slowly starting to come around on Eureka....

It is a well established fact, core to the design of all modern MMOs and indeed much of modern gameplay in general, that the brain can deceive itself into believing the sense of satisfaction of a slowly filled progress bar is actually the emotion of Fun.

It isn't, but your brain doesn't know that, and so you think it's fun. Happens to us all. Happening to me too!

I suppose I'd be more worried about this but jeez guys I'm only 30k tnl to relic level and do you see how many crystals I've farmed

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Dungeons may be easy but you can still engage and be really good at them and noticeably affect the speed of the run and therefore feel like you did a good job. Eureka is like, how the gently caress can you even be good at it?

Running a dungeon feels like I’m playing a video game, eureka just feels like waiting.

The problem with Eureka is that everyone levelling will spend some massive amount of time vastly underleveled for the fates that the NM zerg will drive them to, so that fights are basically ineffectively hitting for double digit damage and then dying immediately to something they can barely see and don't understand. The end result is that levelling in Eureka is dragging their corpses from blue circle to blue circle until bars fill up, and alt-tabbing to youtube to watch videos of cats in the meantime.

This is a problem caused by an effect which has been causing problems in games for decades and will cause problems straight into the infinite future - your player base of millions is much better at optimizing progressing then your dev team is, and after like a week only the most optimized path is used. So instead of sticking to NMs near your elemental level and grinding regular mobs in the meantime you're pulled into Danger Noodle Death gently caress Hell Land all the time and end up breaking the content as opposed to engaging with it. Granted, the dev team is not doing themselves any favours by how terminally boring every other option for progression but the one currently in play across all Eureka instances is, but even if grinding mobs was somehow super fun people would still be doing the Blue Circle Cycle if that was faster.

If you're actually an appropriate level for a NM fight then suddenly instant kills aren't necessarily instant and you get a decent return on actually doing your damage rotations and have to engage with the content then they're actually kind of fun. They're not raid fights, but each one has 1-3 unique mechanics that force you to pay attention to positioning or what the mob is casting or whatever. But that was pretty rare unless you were burning hard at the start of Eureka's launch and now people tend to overpower any NM fight that's below Fafnir.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Foxhound posted:

Finally knocked out the latest patch content today and am glad that my initial impression of Asahi being a smarmy jerkoff proved to be true as gently caress.

I had the same initial impression and when it proved to be true, well...

(Current MSQ spoilers)
I was sort of disappointed because Seemingly Good and Reasonable Garlean turning out to be Secretly Crazy and Evil is such a boring and expected "twist" it just made me roll my eyes. It would have been a smarter move, frankly, for Asahi to be everything he appeared to be in first appearances because at least people wouldn't have expected him playing it straight and it would have added some much needed ambiguity to the Garleans, who have been slowly devolving from Gaius' more nuanced take ever since 2.0 wrapped up.

Having him be evil just moves the Garleans even further into generic evil empire territory and everyone rightly skewers the Ascians for exactly the same thing when they stand around twirling the metaphorical moustache.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

I haven't play since Stormblood launched; are warriors still garbage? I sort of want to play again.

Based on this I'm assuming you are familiar with early SB warrior but I'll drop a quick explanation for people who perhaps are not.

The core issue with Warrior was that so much of your DPS revolved around fitting as many cleaves as possible into your buff windows. Optimal play involved an extremely rigid procession of GCDs to make sure your gauge is at the right level at exactly the right time. You spent almost the entire time you're not in zerk preparing for the next zerk.

4.0 warrior had a super high skill ceiling, easily the highest of the three tanks. Worse, your DPS dropped like a rock the more you moved off the ideal rotation, either through player error or the thing you're fighting forcing movement or downtime. They probably could have made tweaks to how it worked to accommodate people who had difficulty with it, but what they actually ended up doing is shrugging and tossing nearly the entire concept.

Now, berserk is dead, long live inner release. IR is all you have now. During IR, every attack that normally uses beast gauge uses no beast gauge at all so you can drop 5 cleaves in the window without issue. In addition it forces a double crit on each attack. Instead of having to get all your ducks in a row before a buff window now you just hit one button and unleash the loving fury.

So on the one hand that's much better for warriors of all skill levels because the core contributor for DPS is now braindead easy. On the other hand people are (rightly, in my opinion) complaining that perhaps Warrior is now too braindead easy and not as satisfying to play.

Oh, and they called a complete mulligan on Shake it Off, admitting their original idea was pointless and stupid. It is now an AoE shield like Succor which powers up by consuming defensive buffs if they're active (IB, Vengeance, Raw Intuition) and gives Warrior some nice defensive party utility.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Someone at Square Enix really needs to sit down and study, for example, Steam games and their pricing behaviour, to try and grasp just how much money they would be making if they cut their cosmetic prices by 50-75%.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The patches are formulaic even down to the type of content added, which only breeds apathy. 4.3's basically a mirror of 4.1. It's dull.

I swear I'm not trying to jump down your throat here because I agree with your core premise that new XIV patches all tend to have identical structure but I find the notion that this is a bad thing by itself to be a bit objectionable. Frankly, it's also a bit strange that people keep bringing this up when the content release schedule is not only well established by this point but has also been shaped by the reactions of the playerbase anyway.

I mean none of this is new. Raid patch -> Alliance patch and repeat until expansion has been the backbone of the release schedule since 2.0, and that was years and years back by now. The draw of new XIV content is not that some fundamental structure changes but that the contents of an existing structure change. In a vacuum Coil and Alexander and Omega are all the same thing, it's the new fight within it that's interesting and prompts engagement. Same for 24 mans, and 4mans, and beastman quests, and pretty much everything else. That won't stay exciting for the 3 months between patches but it's not intended to.

Also, it's really worth emphasizing that every time they have moved off the safe and predictable content release they are doing now, they have gotten burned. Every single time. Before the game launched they overpromised content and got burned when they had to delay the first 24 man; they gave people a harder raid that would take longer to clear with Gordias and it crippled the endgame community; they devote blood and sweat into a brand new type of battle content and we get Diadem and it fails twice; they stretch their creative muscles for something entirely new, make Verminion, and people bitch it's not more combat; now they add Eureka as a way to stretch player attention through the off patch and people freak the gently caress out that it takes too long and is too boring.

At least they're sticking to their guns with Eureka and intend to add more to it with subsequent patches. PotD was pretty dull in it's first incarnation as well. The point of all this is, from a player perspective it might start to look monotonous. From a developer perspective, being new and exciting has gotten them yelled at consistently and by being safe and predictable they have broken total subscription records in Stormblood. What they are doing is working, for the game, and it's not going to change.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

I had to take an extended break from the game and just recently came back and while I'm certain this is probably opening a can of worms I gotta say it: What the gently caress is up with Eureka? Why is a mix of FFXI and Diadem considered to be a positive thing in 2018? :negative:

On the whole it's not.

Some players had been making an argument, over time, that all content in XIV hewed to a modern style which was more simplistic and easily conquered, farmed, forgotten, and that this wasn't necessarily the best idea. They aren't entirely wrong because there is a legitimate criticism to be made about the sheer volume of content which is left behind and forgotten in the perpetual treadmill that is XIV's update process. This is mitigated a bit by SE consistently, reliably adding more tread to the treadmill every 3-4 months like clockwork for years.

But the argument held a bit of water. So when coming up with battle content for SB the devs took a couple common critical comments - the above complaint, as well as complaints that all relic progress in previous expansions was endlessly rehashing old content in a boring grind. So they decide to address this in Eureka, which for all it's faults is at least brand new, and by keeping it entirely segregated from the rest of the game they can tweak it's internal progression to be something more like FFXI - longer time requirements, slower progression, a sense of growing power over (most) of the play environment.

As is regrettably common with fresh XIV content ideas they bobbled the ball a bit. They looked at FFXI for things to emulate, checked off HUEG GRINDE and called it a day. They actively ignored a bunch of the mechanics that were in the FFXI content they were trying to emulate. So a lot of people don't like it because it's too simplistic a grind, and they REALLY don't like that Relics are now bound to this content for Stormblood, because if they want a relic they have no choice but to engage with it.

At the same time there are people who enjoy having a slow grind, enjoy the sense of gradual progression, enjoy slowly filling up storage with relics and gear. It's a lot easier to do multiple relics in this system then going through Light grinding, for example.

Fair disclaimer, I don't hate it as much as others, but I'm also not one of those people who liked it so much they have all the weapons and all the armor (I know some people who did this). It's a good sign that they have admitted the first Eureka was a bit threadbare and subsequent Eurekas will have more stuff to do to make the content a bit more varied. And considering that they're adding an entirely new area one patch later, and that we're expecting 4-5 patches worth of this, Eureka is definitely going to be big and expansive by the end. Time will tell if it will actually end up as well-remembered as PotD.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

I respect and appreciate SE making the Ridorana gear so unspeakably ugly that no one will be bothered by the fact that you can't roll need on pieces anymore.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

UHD posted:

gaius's base beliefs were "more for the empire" and "gently caress you" so I dunno how right he really was

The sympathetic argument is more that his beliefs are "we have to stop all Eikons everywhere". The fundamental premise of his argument was right but the scale of his response was unacceptable.

He is in no way wrong arguing that Eikons/Primals are a horrendous, nearly insurmountable threat when anyone who really wants one bad enough and has access to a big enough supply of the most ubiquitous energy source on the planet can summon one. Worse yet when anyone who summons a primal gets a short term victory but just ends up killing the planet off in the longer term when all the aether gets sucked out of it.

The issue is that Gaius and the Empire in general's solution to this problem is to spread absolute totalitarian control across the entire known world and destroy any group, nation, or individual that has even the potential to get a primal up and running that do not submit to that control. As he states clearly when you fight him in the Praetorium he has pretty much everyone in Eorzea on that list as he considers the Twelve to be more or less the same thing as, say, Ifrit. Increasing the dominion of the empire is never actually going to work because people aren't going to give up on their gods and beliefs just because a man in cool armor points a gunsword at them and tells them to, so the end result is going to be a lot of genocide and since that's unacceptable to protagonists worldwide, hence the conflict.

I doubt that Gaius is ever going to come around to the good guy notion of spreading peace and removing the reasons for conflict in the first place, which incite the summoning of primals. I guess I should say I hope he doesn't, because the very best antagonists are the ones where you can follow their argument partly, but not all the way. I bet he wasn't very happy to learn those Ascians he was working with weren't actually all that interested in stopping Eikons but were more about encouraging as many as possible to flourish; hence all those masks on his belt.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Thundarr posted:

The eikons weren't even a thing in the modern era until after the empire's wave of conquest began. It wasn't until the fight over Silvertear Lake ~15 in game years ago that everything went to poo poo as far as primals goes and Gaius had been conquering other nations in the name of the empire for at least a decade prior to that. So yeah his answer to primals is "conquer more" once they showed up but the bringing the light of civilization to the benighted barbarians of the world through force is at the very core of his ideology. Or at least, was. I doubt he's changed too drastically in that regard, but we can look past that for now if he's badass enough to kill Lahabrea-level Ascians with no Echo or Blessing to help him and he's on our side.

I'm pretty certain that killing Midgardsormr over Silvertear unleashed the Eorzean primals (for those who aren't familiar with this go look up the original 1.0 opening cinematic) but that Eikons/Primals as a whole were around elsewhere and causing problems before that point.

One of the closing bits of the 4.3 plot is when Maxima is giving Alphinaud some lore on the Burn, which is an aetherically empty desert created when an Eikon was summoned there and leeched the life out of everything. Most critically he talks about how the original founding emperor of Garlemald took one look at the Burn and instantly decided he needed to repurpose his burgeoning empire to start dealing with any being that could do that.

They might be retconning their own historical timing though, who knows.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

To turn back to a topic a couple pages old now I was thinking more about the Burn and the Garlean timeline so I dug out my lore book again which has a complete timeline that works something like this, in in-game years:

1517: First Garlean Emperor, Solus vos Galvus, is crowned and begins a campaign of conquest and expansion
1522: Ilsabard conquered in it's entirety
1523: Solus leads the Garleans into Othard, discovers the Burn, and proclaims that all Eikons must be exterminated
1552: Garlemald conquers Doma
1557: Garlemald conquers Ala Mhigo (having attacked after the revolution which unseated the mad king, a revolution tacitly supported by Gaius for exactly this purpose)
1562: The battle of Silvertear hands the Garleans their first absolute defeat since the start of the campaign. This, combined with the first disastrous attempt at harnessing Dalamud for the meteor project and a sparking war of succession, brings about the halt of Garlean expansion as troops retreat back to held provinces and defences like Baelsar's Wall
1570-1572: The events of 1.0, leading up to the Calamity
1577, roughly: The events of 2.0 and onwards.

So killing Eikons has been a pretty fundamental part of the Garlean military philosophy for almost their entire history.

Bonus fact gleaned from searching through various parts of the lore book: Gaius was 57 years old for the events of 2.0. What purpose does this have? None! The lore book just goes into literally that much detail. I love this thing.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

how do people using legacy controls do the part of o8s where you have to backpedal towards where Kefka is teleporting while staring at the statue?

I've never had a problem with it because the timing is a lot more generous then you may think. I'm assuming you're talking about the end of the graven image phase with tethers, mind, where the party is all clustered in the centre. Even if you want to play super safe and not move from dead centre until the last look/don't look resolves, popping sprint will get you safely to the edge before his teleport attack goes off. Sprint may not even be necessary.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Sade posted:

HoH is pretty fun. I adore the art absolutely everywhere and am glad to have it as an option for combat jobs. I'm glad that Apex seems to be a little shorter this time but I hope it's as hard as the last 20 or 30 floors of potd were. Petrifying pomegranates and magicites are a big flavor improvement over rages and absolutions. I wish there had been a few more new pomeranians but I'm entertained and I hope to see at least a Susano magicite before the expansion's over.

Apex 31-70 is pretty much equivalent to PotD 101-150, in that it's not totally braindead but you have to go pretty far out of your way to get into trouble. 71-80 is starting to get a bit more challenging and then 81-90 absolutely skullfucks you with nasty, durable mobs, massive winding floors, and a propensity to stack gloom with amnesia, restricted items, or all three at once. Edit: Also Blind is unbelievably infuriating to have to deal with and it shows up a lot.

I've been to the top twice now and both times we're doing floor sets in 15-30 minutes and then 81-90 shows up and takes nearly the entire hour they give you. Those 10 floors are pretty much the challenge when climbing the Tall Dungeon. 91-100 actually has slightly easier mobs to handle on average, although it still requires very careful play. Frankly the last set of floors, much like PoTD, is easier then the penultimate set because you can unleash the petrifactions and magicites you were (hopefully) holding until then.

I think the biggest tower climbing tip there is, beyond standard gameplay practices that carry over from palace, is that with only 100 floors you basically won't make a 21-100 attempt if you're starting fresh, even with a good party of 4. You'll need to stop at some point and grind your weapon and armor up and extra 30-40 levels before you reach the hard stuff; we did this by running 21-30 a bunch but you could also just have two parallel climbs, stopping the first one at 60 or 70 and taking the second one up.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 8, 2018

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Reports from reddit said people were able to purchase tickets without using their access codes. Some unverified friend-of-a-friend report I got suggested SE forgot to turn on the access code restriction when the queue first opened. That probably explains why tickets evaporated this year.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

I guess I should go into more detail.

(snip)

I agree with pretty much everything you write here about Lakshmi and Susano but I think you are overlooking or ignoring one critical detail here - both of these fights were the very first pieces of endgame content added to Stormblood, and indeed were the only endgame in Stormblood for the first month of release. As such, you can make an argument that these two fights are tuned to be more simplistic because the player base approaching them on release would still be getting familiarized with new abilities and skill rotations which they would have only been using for days or weeks compared to the years of Heavensward gameplay. It's no surprise that Tsukuyomi, which is a fight that comes a full year later, is more complex and demanding of a player base who should be far more familiar with their own characters at this point.

Compare and contrast Bismark/Ravana with later HW trials such as Thordan, Sophia, etc. and you will see the same disparity.

It's one thing to approach content design from the micro perspective of 4/8/24 players fighting a boss in a hopefully entertaining way, but you can't dismiss the macro perspective of the entire game being a machine designed to keep player skill and player gear on a hopefully smooth upward progression. Susano and Lak were basically the first few easy steps up that incline.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Leal posted:

Oh right, and the dungeon for that stretch is AURUM VALE :shepface:

Did you know that 4 out of 5 parties disband in the first room?

The fifth party has someone just start screaming uncontrollably as soon as they zone into piss yellow and green tunnels and disconnects, presumably because they threw their computer out the window.

maybe that's just me i dunno

The other three members sheepishly admit they'd rather spend 30 minutes running loops around a housing zone themselves, and all abandon the duty to do just that. Everyone ends up having a much better time then running Aurum Vale.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Mymla posted:

Lmao at the notion that it's possible to have just 10 favorite ffxiv songs.

Just for science I narrowed down my XIV albums, having got every official release as I have more money then sense. When I excluded the arranged albums (both primals albums and the orchestra) and included the entirety of Before Meteor, I was shocked to see the song count was 504 tracks, or 32 hours and change. Granted there are duplicates in there from later albums including Before Meteor stuff, but removing those and maybe the FFT/FFXII tracks from Stormblood you are still left with some staggering song counts and play times.

There's a LOT of music for this game.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I’m glad my friends and I got back into this game after stopping just before the finale of the original story. If I’m at the snowcloak dungeon now, how far off is Heveansward content ?

You're through roughly 80% of the bridge content between 2.0 and 3.0. Immediately after Snowcloak is an 8-man trial. Cutscenes and plot separate that and a second 8-man trial, then one final 4-man dungeon, then the third and last 8-man trial, one big set of cutscenes to set up 3.0, and then you're good to go. You'll know you're done with Realm Reborn stuff when the credits play again - it's all HW after that.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

AngusPodgorny posted:

If Pagos starts to die off, SE can just keep it alive the way they did other stuff, by inserting it into the relic chain. Every relic stage from now on just needs to require crystals from every prior iteration of Eureka.

I may be getting extremely unlucky but, as I had spent basically no time in Pagos until they revived the train, it seems like it's already dying off a little bit.

It could be that I only enter at off-prime times due to work and raiding, but there's barely any shout chatter in any of the instances, and most people there seem to be shouting for chain pts still. I've had exactly one instance that had a good, dedicated train going around with shout directions and ToD timers, and a lot of nothing. It's made worse by being pretty low level pagos wise when it seems most groups looking for people want high 20s or low 30s by now, so even finding a group takes longer.

This is all way, way different from my Anemos train experience, which was people getting snapped up for the train instantly on shouting and no one cared about your EL for the most part as long as you weren't a level 3 asking to get carted across the zone.

And frankly the way they're running progression in Eureka in general seems... I dunno, punishing? Someone I know got bored of Eureka and is like EL12 or something right now, so they can't even step foot into Pagos properly. Now, they don't care about Eureka and we joke about what a bullet they're dodging, but it makes me think about some hypothetical person who does want a relic and started Eureka late or something, and they're effectively not going to be able to make one, either now or through the rest of the expansion. It makes me think of myself who is EL23 and doesn't really want to be in Pagos at all, but stopping now virtually guarantees I will never be in another Eureka zone due to how far behind the curve I will be. How many of these things will there be? That's a lot of potential content in a game I enjoy to just give up on. It just seems wrong somehow in how it's designed, but at the same time I don't know how they could do it otherwise.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

BrightWing posted:

Now I remember, that motif at the end is a slowed down Torn from the Heavens. Or at least, that's the song I remember it from most.

That's the Realm Reborn motif, and it showed up a good dozen times in the original 2.0 tracks and it's been put into tracks for "climactic" moments in the story as well, such as the themes for Praetorium and Baelsar's Wall.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Vermain posted:

Koji's story about Metal is that he invented all of the lyrics while fighting to stay awake on the very last train home from the central office every night when they were pulling 80+ hour workweeks to finish up HW. I believe him.

This is partially true but you've got the song mixed up. Koji went into this about... 3 year ago? There was a panel at PAX West that he and Soken attended (Soken did Metal live right there in the room it was pretty great) where he went into the whole thing.

The whole sad story goes like this:

Koji had to write lyrics for the new songs in HW. He started work on song lyrics for Bismarck and Ravana (in the process he invented a gnathic language for Ravana in one day).

But hang on, you say, there's no gnathic language in Ravana's song and Bismarck doesn't have lyrics! This is because after finishing the lyrics in later discussion they decided the songs weren't really working for the primals so Soken came up with NEW songs for the primals and the older ones became Locus (from Bismarck) and Metal (from Ravana) respectively.

So Koji has to scrap all the previous lyrical work because what works for a giant sky whale maybe doesn't work for goblins inside a giant robot and fast-track new lyrics for both songs. This is why Metal leans heavy into gobbiespeak and a lot of Locus is a bit, uh, eccentric? Koji put the line "72323 Send" up on a powerpoint and said "this doesn't actually mean anything" and everyone laughed.

The other really good piece of random trivia from that panel is the guy doing the incredibly deep voice for Ravana's lyrics was just some dude working at SE that Soken overheard and immediately felt needed to do the backing lyrics. No singing training or anything, they just brought him in, he belted it out, and Soken used autotune to make it work. Soken is pretty great.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Even the itemization in WoW is starting to become more like this game, I guess its what the people want

I think it would be more accurate to say it's not what the people don't want.

Which sounds like a bunch of lovely wordplay but what I mean is, no one is going to hop up on tables and burst into song at the prospect of trading a sword with crit/det in for a sword with slightly higher amounts of crit/det, but at the same time no one is going to cancel their sub due to not having interesting substats on their gear.

Or if they are going to cancel their sub over that, not enough people will do so to make an impact on the aggregate sub numbers. We're winding down SB now and they have two expansions worth of evidence for that fact, at this point.

E: If you want to see what an actual impact on sub numbers looks like I bet if the nightmare scenario someone mentioned a little while back of BLU being eureka-only materializes we'll all find out pretty quick

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Am I just uniquely unlucky or is this some new pub meme to as a tank pull, then immediately switch out of tank stance in order to passively aggressively force the baton onto the OT? Seen this almost daily in alphascape. Just loving tell me you wanna OT, christ.

It sounds like they are either expecting enmity support from the rest of the party, or they are cargo-culting the notion that main tanks don't need to be in tank stance for 99% of a fight.

And that's true, and has been true since Shirk was added to the game. But that relies on your off tank knowing when to voke+shirk for an enmity boost and usually has a ninja on hand for their enmity support as well. If you don't have those (like, say, in a PUG alphascape fight where you probably know no one else) then you're rolling the dice on if you get the 2-3 extra people to let you maximize dps while continuing to MT or if it just flies everywhere.

If I'm running something with my static I'm out of tank stance 3 GCDs after I pull but I don't do that with randoms.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Do not do Pagos.

I was banging this drum for months and months but with Pyros on the horizon I decided to humour the little voice in my head that never shuts up about potentially missing content one last time and decided to just devote a weekend to it. I'll be done and Pyros-ready tonight, four days later. So for anyone who was... lets say, "tolerant" of Anemos and Eureka in general, but turned off by Pagos on release, here's a totally unasked-for mini-review of what Pagos is like now.

TL;DR in advance: It is exactly like Anemos now, objectively faster and also subjectively slower to complete.

Expanded breakdown: So in each of the Eureka zones you have two goals while you're in there - hit the max elemental level, and complete a relic up to the latest stage. Anemos coupled both of these goals nicely in that by hitting max EL you were almost certainly positioned to complete a relic right away or were very, very close. On launch Pagos had decoupled this progression by making you do two separate grinds - one for EL, which was worse and slower due to nerfing NM spawns and rewards to encourage chain parties, and one for the relic, which involved grinding Light in that way every relic hunter has so enjoyed across expansions.

The end result of every buff to Pagos has been to, essentially, increase the speed of EL progression back to and then faster than Anemos levels, and ease the grind for relics. Due to buffs to Light generation from killing NMs, it's had the additional effect of recoupling the two sets of progression so that getting to max EL gets you most of the way through a relic.

Relics require three things now: crystals forged through collecting Light, crystals collected from killing NMs, and reward items from the EL35 NM, Louhi. If you do nothing but NMs, never touch a chain party, never touch a light party, you'll be about 2/3-3/4 through the materials for a relic by the time you have capped EL and your mount back, and it's not that much more effort at that point to finish things off - a day or two at most.

So what are the criticisms now? The biggest one I have is that they buffed the rewards from NMs, sure - buffed to way past what you were getting in Anemos. This is where objectively faster in the TLDR comes from. But they didn't touch the spawn timers at all - NMs are more spread out, have more weather requirements to pop them, require more kills. No one wants to go through the effort of constantly trying to pop these in order, so most of the time instead of a train rolling around the zone you have 1/4 of the instance killing mobs and 3/4 of the instance watching Netflix while at base camp. A nm pops, groups spontaneously form and kill it, then disband and start waiting again. You get through the whole process faster, but spend way more time AFK not playing the game. Subjectively slower than Anemos.

Also the entire zone design is poo poo. It's poo poo. Nearly inexcusable. There's only a single path to the entire north half of the zone, filled with mobs that will one-shot your EL25 rear end with literally no recourse after a half second in the wrong spot to draw aggro, you just eat poo poo and die. There is a delightful period between EL25-30 where you want to be on the north side for NM pops but have a nightmare of a time getting up there and no way to teleport safely. Don't expect the crowd to wait for you for NMs you have to walk to, either, and even if they do you'll lose a few to aggro and death along the way. This was a common complaint even on launch, but hey, worth bringing up again, I say.

I'm EL20 and I gave up after Anemos, how do I make a really bad life decision and get into Pagos now: Step one: go back into Anemos. There are still NM trains, join one. NM train in Anemos to ~23. Doing the full set of challenge logs is approximately 2.25 full levels worth of exp, and people tend to make challenge log parties in Anemos because everyone is capped at 20 so there is no level disparity. Use challenge logs to get to 25, at which point you can go into Pagos and do the "story" quests to unlock the Light mechanic for relic. Spend the rest of your time in Pagos. Have a television show to watch or something. Other good points to blow challenge logs for two levels: 28-30 to unlock the NW aetheryte, 30-32 to unlock the NE aetheryte, 32-34 to get to a level where you get treasure credit from all NMs.

Hey you didn't mention the story or the cool FFXI items: There is no story. You will never see any of the FFXI items. Just let it go.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

it's bad content. some jackass on the dev team ("komuato" or something?) has both a boner for FFXI's bad everquest-style game design and, for some godforsaken reason, the ear of head developer yoshida. thus, we suffer through the dev team wasting time on this godawful poo poo.

It's actually pretty funny because you can see that they had a bunch of ideas for old school EQ content in Pagos with Adaptations and Mutations and special loot box drops only from chain parties with the express intent that they would make you do all these things, grind trash mobs and also grind NMs (because the relic required drops from both) in order to progress.

And it was horrible, and went over like a lead balloon. And I can absolutely picture a very awkward meeting in Square Enix somewhere, with a graph showing the player participation dropping like a rock, and someone important says, paraphrased, "this isn't Diadem we can't just shrug our shoulders at a failed experiment and move on this is multi-year core content we have six of these planned, loving fix it". Now it's Anemos, half the content ideas can literally be ignored, while Pagos is still the current most relevant Eureka zone.

Just as importantly for Eureka-casual shitheads like myself, as far as adherence to the old-school hardcore grind philosophy goes, they blinked and we all know it now. A Pagos relic might have taken 3+ weeks on launch and now it takes days, and all we had to do was wait for them to lose their nerve about it. Even if Pyros starts as a horrific overly-complex grindfest we know it won't stay that way. The train will be there eventually.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is the only part I cared about. :negative:

At least I managed to buy the Wind-Up Tarutaru on the Market Board. Shame I won't get the Morbol in a dress.

I'm going to be really mad if - ok well, I think I'm going to be mad no matter what on Pyros launch - but I'm going to be extra mad if the FFXI items in subsequent Eurekas are as rare and difficult to acquire as Pagos ones.

Making the items give actual bonuses was dumb, because for some reason it inspired them to drop a bunch of extra restrictions on how you get them. Hey, you FFXI expats remember OHat, right guys? Well look, it's Hakutaku! Oh, you expected to get your cool nostalgia glamour straight from the NM like you have been led to believe from Anemos haha gently caress you go run bunny coffers for a week straight until the RNG gives you the eyes for a cluster or pay 20mil+ on the market board, loser.

Glamour items only. Direct from NMs, and not crazy rare NMs like Cassie either. Reasonable drop rate. This isn't hard guys you literally figured this out already

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

CYBEReris posted:

or, you can pay $20 for Tales of Pyros and jump to Elemental Level 69

Goddamnit I literally thought up this joke and ran back to my laptop to try and post it

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

sephirot is my favorite trial because i am a xaela dark knight main and thus Fiend is my anthem

Sephirot is my favorite trial because since it exists, every time someone in my raid group misjudges the size of a boss arena and accidentally walks off the outside into a death pit I can shout THE EDGE IS CALLING TONIGHT into voice chat and everyone laughs

Fake edit: it might just be me laughing

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Saying Absolute Virtue is gonna show up in Eureka is a really funny joke but, that's not gonna happen, no way.

Just reading the name put me into a fugue state and when I snapped out of it I was halfway through the process of cancelling my subscription in full fight-or-flight mode

Absolute Virtue? Nope. Nope. Nope. Substitute in every single nope meme gif you are aware of into the rest of this post that's still not enough Nopes.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

noooooooooooooooooooooooope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Thundarr posted:

I never played FFXI and have only heard second hand stories about how bullshit AV was, but how were they only doing 1500 damage per hour prior to that?

I did play FFXI and was indeed quite hooked into the endgame during the AV era so I actually know exactly the incident that screen is (likely) referring to.

It actually was 30 hours but not continuous fighting. The way the endgame progression (a term I use incredibly loosely) culminated to spawn Absolute Virtue for an attempt was to kill another powerful enemy, Jailer of Love, which itself required spawning and killing a collection of lesser bosses in order to access it.

JoL had a reputation as quite the unkillable boss itself for a long time before AV completely overshadowed it, due to an incredibly potent auto-regen that was enough to counteract the combined offensive power of an alliance of 18 players (which was the largest group you could do these fights with). A solution to that was eventually found by killing the add groups that JoL would periodically resummon to shut the regen off, but that was 20+ minutes of busywork before being able to even start killing JoL, a boss that took a good half hour by itself.

Anyway, you do all that and kill JoL and suddenly Absolute Virtue spawns, hits your group with a meteor, and you all die. This isn't a punchline, that's literally what happened, or close enough. AV had instant AoE attacks, could summon adds at a whim, could charm your tank and then go murder your backline, so on, so forth. The sheer offensive power of AV ended most of the initial attempts almost as soon as they started and no one ever moved to "how do we kill this" because everyone stalled on "jesus christ how do we not die".

Eventually there was one really good, potential kill attempt that took advantage of some pretty blatant targeting glitches that prevented AV from actually doing anything to players, which was the only way a group could even get close to it, let alone damage it. We're talking abusing cutscene triggers and terrain generation so that AV couldn't use any skills. Inevitably they screwed up, (AV having a potent regen as well, making damage very difficult to inflict) and it used benediction to heal to full and erase hours of work. The group that's making the attempt is getting super tired now, so many of them log off and go to bed, while others in the LS take over and continually aggro AV and get murdered, resetting it from passivity so that it doesn't despawn.

Everyone wakes back up, tries to glitch out AV again. They manage, sort of, but not as effectively as before. It doesn't matter, because in short order AV found a target and when it started attacking once more it benedictioned again. That's what the screenshot is - the second one. Now people know it's a nearly impossible-to-damage superboss that shits out party-wiping damage and can heal to full whenever it wants. That was the beginning of the true legend.

There was a way to stop the repeated benediction casts but it was so obscure and arbitrary that the secret was kept for half a decade and eventually the devs straight up told people what to do, years after AV was relevant