Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ishin posted:

So what time EST are servers supposed to come back up. (Knowing that they will extend maint like always)

5 AM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm really excited for fantasy Japan. All of the new areas look a lot more visually exciting compared to Ishgard.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

I started playing 3 weeks ago and just got my Scholar to 49. Kinda disappointed with these changes.

I also want to pick up Dark Knight as my secondary, and that's bad now too :(?

Play whatever you went. None of these changes are bad, some are just disappointing if you have been playing the same class for 3 years and were hoping for more.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

staplegun posted:

Really? They turned FA into a pure knockback spell? Well, throw another button into the WHM graveyard, I guess.

That's good. No one should of been using a knockback in their damage rotation and now they can't.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Minrad posted:

you can just rent the infrastructure from amazon at this point

It's not even close to being that simple.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

How bad is the game doing today? Is it just raubahn/pipin ex that's making things impossible, or are constant disconnects happening too?

Raubahn/Pipin seems to be the only truly broken thing right now. No DC's and most other stuff seems stable.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The idea that server instability is better is a real dumb idea. That's a good way for a server to crash and lose data.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Astroniomix posted:

Computer science is less a science and more mystical voodoo bullshit. MMOs in particular have a tendency to run on barely functional spaghetti code where even something as simple as changing the back stab damage multiplier on a rouge's ability causes all of the NPCs in the barrens to die.

I refuse to believe an mmo rebuilt from the bones of a previous one could be full of spaghetti code.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I am enjoying being a squishier tank. Being a WAR with high dps numbers was fun but I would rather have actual ranking being challenging instead of tanking being easy and I need to get all of my challenge from squeezing out damage.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I wonder if the dude with the bad attitude actually gets kicked for a reason besides his HP.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Please, whatever you do, do not ska in dungeons.

Pick it up, pick it up, pick it up,l *cast rez on the Dragoon*

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shere posted:

Here's my hot take on WAR:

Every Stormblood WAR skill is garbage. This isn't the only problem, but most of it.

The charge move costs meter for some reason. I never want to use it for any reason, and since I can't infuriate outside of combat anymore I often can't anyway. The most easy feel-good kind of skill to hit out of the park on a crazy axe murderer feels like a complete burden.

I couldn't figure out why I would ever use Upheaval, then noticed it was off global and it's still loving garbage. It's just a more gauge efficient fell cleave like who even cares. I will never time it with Thrill of Battle on purpose so the bonus effect blows too.

Shake it off is notably the only tanking skill WAR picked up in SB and also pretty much worthless outside of special circumstances designed to make it worthwhile that don't exist yet.

Enhanced Infuriate takes the only satisfying cooldown alignment WAR has and throws it off to no benefit. Moreover, you can do 6 cleaves in a row but it can only benefit from 4 at most because two have to come before infuriate.

Inner Release is bafflingly only usable in Deliverance, even though it has tanking utility and could offer you the chance to keep Inner Beast up for 20s or whatever if it at least worked in Defiance.

They took a tank class, gave it no new tanking abilities, four throwaway skills and one good one you can't use while tanking, a draconian gauge switching punishment, and it still does less dps than a PLD for way more thought involved to even make it close.

Other questions:

Why does Unleashed cost beast gauge?
Why does Holmgang not even pull in trash mobs in dungeons anymore?
Why does Enhanced Infuriate say it reduces the cooldown per enemy hit, when it doesn't do that?
Why did bloodbath go away entirely?
Why does it feel like flash was the most important thing Warrior lost?

I agree with pretty much all of this. WAR just doesn't feel like a tank but is also missing the damage it needs to make it feel like a strong off-tank. It was pretty much in the right place at the end of heavensward and feels like a victim of the overall tank changes.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cool Bear posted:

Has anyone else noticed these allegories from the original first opening story:

unexpectedly bad meteor weapon from the garleans :: atom bomb from america in ww2

primals summoned by beastly denizens of isolated eorzea :: hawk military leaders of japan who controlled the emperor and with whom many disagreed

the Garleans attack because they want to destroy the primals :: the americans attack japan to stop them from conquering east asia because of these hawks, these primals

This story written by Japanese people who are intelligent and surely very aware of their own history must have been either consciously or subconsciously affected by the events of history. Is this common knowledge? Am I wrong?

Please post the source

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Compelling.

Compared to Yda, Lyse has a different name, different appearance, a different personality, different motivations, and different relationships with different characters. The only thing they share is being a Monk and I guess the Ala Mhigan backstory, something that's shared with many other characters in the game who also have different names, appearances, personalities, motivations, and relationships.

Lyse feels like a different character because she has stopped hiding who she really is and is now doing something that she really cares about. The Scions were her sisters thing more then hers which is what made her a second fiddle and comic relief. Now that she is doing something she cares about she has become more serious. It's character development or something.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shiva's j-rock is still the best theme.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

FFS, Mord, POST THE GODDAMN SOURCE.

http://reinoel.tumblr.com/post/162237325118/aaaaaaahhhhhh-i-really-love-them-looking

(I will not be held responsible for anything you may come across linked from that tumblr.)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SettingSun posted:

So WAR. It feels so weird to play them now. 3/4 of their new skills don't help them tank at all, and Shake It Off is marginal in that regard. They have too many beast gauge spenders that have marginal gain, and some (Onslaught) should really generate it instead. Their generators are on weird places in their combos, and there's very little reason to use their enmity/DPS combo as a result.

I hope it gets a little love soon.

I'm turning around on WAR. It needs more generators and needs to lose the gauge loss I stance swap but I'm starting to enjoy the rotation. I do wish that it felt like it could be a main tank and an off tank. Right now it feels like it was entirely built to be an off tank.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

None of my friends who pine for classic WoW ever talk about the game, they miss their guild, the people, ect.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They did the first kick today and so far it has really helped the queue on Balmung. Bad idea... good?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They are currently being with a ddos. If the lag stays terrible then invest in a vpn.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Truga posted:

if you can figure out a system where people will still run more than once per week, but isn't also worse in every single way, I'd love to hear it.

Drops+Token garunteed in x number of runs.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

consider this: it was lldr, and I Do Not Care

You forgot to tell us how we don't pay your sub.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I really don't see anything wrong with them having a consistent development plan.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

I think it has to do with how this expansion treats the WoL in general. At the start of HW, we had basically nothing, and spent the entire 3.0 patch proving ourselves to the Ishgardians. At the start of SB, everybody already knows that we're an unstoppable hero figure, and they treat us as such. When the MSQ is constantly mentioning how you saved X NPC years ago, or that they can just toss you at the latest evil god to spring up like it's no big deal, having to go collect poop can give you a bit of whiplash.

But the Xaela are cool and I wanted to help them anyway, so it's no big deal.

Yeah, I took that whole scene as being that 1. The Mol and the Au'ra in general don't know and don't care about who you are.
2. Everyone picks up poo poo there.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They made WAR good again!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's upsetting the number of pubbie tanks in extreme parties who tell me that using Shirk is too complicated.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Harrow posted:

I'd love to hear from someone who plays WAR whether the patch changes are as good as they look. It looks like they changed a lot of the things people were dissatisfied with, right?

Also: Astrologian changes. Thoughts on those? I've been hearing that this Balance nerf was a long time coming, but I wasn't expecting the Spear change, which looks like a straight upgrade to what it was before. And new actions to ditch Royal Road and Spread cards seem good, though it's silly that they have to take up space on your bar, I guess.

It's kind of amusing that neither of the jobs that I play much of even appeared on the patch notes. Red Mage: was great before, still great.

Those changes cover 90% of my complaints on paper and will probably cover 100% of them once I'm in game. Not being penalized for swapping stances means my whole kit is open back up to me.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That is the coolest thing I have seen in my life

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Concurred posted:

Yo so re: Susano EX, what's the idea when the storm cloud is in front of him and someone gets tagged. Do you run to some gently caress off location and expect the group to move so the don't get blasted, or do you run to back of arena but don't move off alignment so the group moves as little as possible, but enough to not get shocked?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Concurred posted:

Ok good. So the times when I did that and someone yelled at me for moving, they were dumb.

They were real dumb. If you stayed in the middle the cloud would of hit everyone and everyone would cry.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SL the Pyro posted:

My static tank was doing O3S practice and had this for a WAR co-tank.

I'm so mad right now that dude got carried to O3S and I can't find a group that can get past 2.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I had the impression Zenos intentionally held back on the response so that he could have his grand showdown with you. That was a lot more important to him then protecting the Empire.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pikavangelist posted:

It's, America, not merica. I say Australia, not starlia.

I love my country and have respect for it, it's why I served my country for 9 years.

Respect. Learn it.

It's, Limsa Lominsa, not limsa. I say Gridania, not dania.

I love my city and have respect for it, it's why I served my city for 7 years.

Respect. Learn it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I do full pulls as a WAR and never needed goad. It's great to have but entirely unnecessary of you know what you are doing.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

i like the guy in that reddit thread repeatedly posting about how getting banned in a video game for being an rear end in a top hat is literally the same as living in nazi germany

Perspective is not gamers strong suit.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

corgski posted:

Oh god there's some poor woman getting sealioned in that thread for talking about how she was stalked and harassed across multiple servers until she quit the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/apq79p/important_changes_to_prohibited_activities_and/egc7prj/

Also yes I touched the poop.

gently caress Reddit. That dude is gross and it's wild that he isn't being run out on the first train out of town.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, it just surprises me everytime.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

I sometimes worry I'm in some sort of "FFXIV bubble" because I enjoy the game so much, but then I hear horror stories from WoW vets and I feel better about my decision.

e: I'd be curious to hear about the highs and lows of WoW over the years. I'd like to know what they've done in contrast to FFXIV to cause so much subscriber loss.

It's almost mind boggling to think about how FFXIV started out as a total mess and now it's so successful.

The new WoW expansion hasn't been great. The new zones were really cool but the story has been awful, the gear progession is all messed up with the Azerite Traits which is weird because they had a good system figured out with the artifact weapons, and the devs until recently were really digging in their heels.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kurieg posted:

My main complaints with wow right now are the story, and the endgame activities.

Raiding isn't fun and they removed class sets so there's not even the vanity reason to play. M+ was balls hard at release and took forever, compared to legion where even the longest dungeon took maybe half an hour. Now the timers are basically assuming you have a rogue and invisibility potions to skip pulls, and also have lots of CC.
What's that? Your class doesn't have cc? Sucks to be you.

And they've leaned hard into "faction war" as a story which has mostly amounted to "One faction is openly evil, gets multiple victories. Other faction isn't explicitly good, only gets symbolic victories, if that. Actual big bad gloats about how stupid we are and should be working together against them."

Oh my god M+. It's an amazing idea and honestly should be the future of raiding but blizzard is determined to gently caress it up every step of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Minrad posted:

RE: Sub chat, while squeenix still doesn't publish numbers the new lucky bancho data crawl is out and puts it at over a million active subscribers currently.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/c08439/new_luckybancho_data_1m_active_characters/er2pei1/

That jump between data crawls is insane.