Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Artum posted:

Whats a good brand of black primer that I can get online quickly in the uk, off amazon or such?

You might find it difficult to get spray primer delivered as Royal Mail refuse to carry it.

If you're close to one, get Halfords black primer, best one I've ever used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone tried removing the various insignias on the primaries aggressors and traverse to male them look more generically sci-fi? Someone upthread was saying aggressors reminded them of Mobile Infantry and I wondered if anyone has tried it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

I think there are a lot cheaper options for generic SF military minis, though.

Well I quite like the primaris models. Have plenty of Infinity stuff already, and just looking for a change of pace really.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

One of my friends found that using some GW colour sprays over Halfords Matt Black primer actually caused an adverse chemical reaction in the GW spray, even after weeks of curing time for the Halfords paint.

Edit: Saint Duncan uses the coloured spray as undercoat.

GW spray paint has always been pretty weird and awful. It used to fuzz like crazy when I used it in high humidity. Halford cans have gone on perfect almost every time.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

ineptmule posted:

From my eyes-and-hands-on experience - and of products that people here applaud as being excellent - no competitor of GW yet makes plastics of an equal quality.

Mantic, Dreamforge, North Star, Wyrd, Warlord - all of their plastic products are at an equivalent point in quality to where GW was 15 years ago.

I'd love to move away from GW but as someone for whom modelling is the main thing I enjoy from the hobby, no other company comes close to the potential from their basic boxes of minis.

At this point the only plastic toy making companies who produce better fitting plastic are Lego and Bandai (who can do single cast, multi-plastic, articulated parts). I don't think even the other Japanese companies are doing stuff as good as GW these days.

Also Warmachine are quite firmly bottom tier when it comes to plastics. Only plastic army men/cheap boardgame pieces are worse. Most CoolMiniOrNot big box miniature-boardgames have better casts and quality than Warmahordes plastics'restic'. Their new hard plastic stuff might be better.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 4, 2017

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

It's from the old Empire Knights kit, Rogue Trader had small shields like that on Terminator sergeants and I wanted to replicate it.

As for the bolters, I built the thing in 7th and I liked the look of it better without them on - in hindsight I shoulda built them on it but I'm not gonna take the doors off at this point.

I really like your photo backdrop, where did you get it from? I've got a lovely one printed on paper but it's really fragile.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

There's the Forge of Mars series and the Horus Heresy book Mechanicum, I think they're all by Graham McNeill.

There's also Priests of Mars, which is kinda like BSG/FTL Admech edition.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Snidesworth posted:

Statuesque Miniatures. Go for the heroic scale heads.

Heroic scale narrow fits slimmer models (like Sisters of Silence) better.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

richyp posted:

Primed black for about 25 years, switched to grey about 5 years ago and realised how many years I'd wasted a) painting additional layers over black (or intermediate layers such as grey/white to get white, or brown to get yellow) b) painting in general c) that I've got less than a week before I turn 40 and am supposed to grow up. Same thing happened at 30 but meh.

Zenithal prime everything for the best of both worlds. It's amazing how much less work you have to do when everything 'underneath' has been painted black and you can safely ignore it if you miss it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

DiHK posted:

I think that if you took a water colors course and planned your poo poo out real good you'd probably do a really great job with white primer.

I should take a water color course.

I'm a big fan of rustoleyms new candy apple red. I have blood angels.

Speaking from experience, water colours handle completely differently to acrylics, even when you wet blend or glaze. They are always semitransparent and if you layer with watercolours you end up with a brown mess.

Also classical watercolour painting techniques absolutely hate the hard lines and angles of our miniatures.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Felime posted:

Watercolors also require amazing planning to make them look nice, which transfers to models, if not super directly.

You can overpaint models very easily unless you've gone into full THIN UR PAINTZ mode.

Also IMHO it's less about amazing planning and more about 'feeling'. You don't really go into a piece with "I want to do a rock in this exact shape right here." You kind of splodge colours around and see what feels like the best shape for a rock and then you make it so in the painting process. My art teacher (who was into classical watercolours) never did do anything but the barest of sketches before putting paint to paper - you have some degree of planning and conceptualization, but probably not to the degree that you need on a miniature.

To quote him when I showed him mini-painting, "It's the skill of no-skill." i.e. it's closer to paint by numbers than traditional art.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

These are the dudes i'm talking about. Skill on this level is outstanding. Truly artists in every sense of the word. Like I said earlier, even on here there are some incredible artists.

There are some other dudes as well that do really great freehand art on the panels of titans that depict prior battles. i don't know their names, but you can't say there's no skill involved there.

Oh I sort of understood the point he was getting at. It wasn't that there was a lack of technical skill, but that painting a free-standing model didn't carry the same degree of "artistry" traditional art did. I personally preferred graphic design-type projects myself, and I knew he had a low opinion of those as well.

Most miniature freehand is impressive because of the crazy brush control required to achieve it, not because of the composition of said freehand is inherently artistic. I've freehanded plenty of poo poo onto my models but I don't think I used any additional skills I didn't learn painting with poster paints in primary school.

This was ages ago, but I suspect he would not argue that constructing a diorama like some of the aforementioned master painters was art, or the act of sculpting a miniature. Also I think that stuff like monochrome models would very much appeal to his sense of 'artistry'

Alternatively he could just be an elitist watercolour dick...

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
A question for Repulsor-havers, can a Razorback or Predator turret fit into the turret ring?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheBigAristotle posted:

Yeah, I've been doing that, but obviously not enough. It's just when I thin them a bit more, I feel like I can't get the brightness I'm looking for. Plenty more models to paint in order to get it right, I suppose.

If you aren't looking for a very precise shade of yellow, Iyanden Darksun is an excellent choice. Covers very well even if diluted, and has a very rich and not cartoony appearance.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

Had a nice game last night against my buddy's Dark Angels where the bored-out-of-their-minds wife and kids of a Magic player milled around our table, kids attempting to climb it and poking at models while their mom yelled at them vaguely but never actually told them to stop, nor did she ever actually address us at all or ask if it was cool if they watched. I yell at little kids in front of their parents all the time at work and it was taking every fiber of my being not to here. Ultimately I ended up conceding turn 2 when they just couldn't get the hint and I could no longer concentrate. When one of the kids asked how the game was going and I told them I was losing a little girl said "he always loses" and a little boy said "you should try harder", which was cool. There were like 4 or 5 of them.

Of course I hold nothing against the kids for seeing cool little toys and wanting to play with them, but who brings their family to a game store and just has them wait for hours while you finish a game? Who lets their kids crawl over someone else's poo poo and doesn't even look them in the eye or apologize? Really should have said something but didn't want to cause trouble for the shop.

Tell them if they break it, they pay for it, and if they can't pay you will accept indentured servitude instead.

Worked for me as a kid. Fear of being locked up washing dishes forever in a back room kept my hands firmly to myself.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

SteelMentor posted:

Oh gently caress me Valdor's a handsome boi, he might be going on the shopping list.

Also goddamn, I dunno who's doing the Custodes paintjobs for Forgeworld right now but it is gently caress ugly. Valdy's not bad, but that piss yellow gold they've got on everything else is awful. Not that the Trump gold on the 40k Custodes is any better, but the burnished gold scheme they used for the BoP models/Dreadnaughts looks so much better.

Ironically this is the gold shade you get with the true metallic paints. The orangey-yellowy gold one we're used to is more brassy than anything else.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah, I'd say easy DIY casting kits will have a bigger impact on the market, though I wouldnt be surprised if people started printing out upgrade sprues rather than pay out the rear end for a gun barrel or pauldron (if 3d printing gets cheap enough to be commonplace).

Also to get really great 3D printed parts you need the fancy wax immersion models which are neither cheap nor easy to handle from what I've read.

A lot of the models are mastered with 3d from one of these fancy machines but still a manufactured traditionally for this exact reason.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Corrode posted:

Van Saar look awesome, the Chaos team is awesome, new terrain is awesome. Great stuff. Also lol at GW attending trade shows and using them to launch product like a real company.

I wonder what the Infinity crowd will think about the quad-eye Van Saar helmets. They're extremely anime (in a good way).

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Another UK goon here looking for anyone interested in the Necron half of Forgebane.

Email me at z4miniatures (at) googlemail (dot) com

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Duct Tape posted:

Dredging this up from a dozen pages ago, but I gave this a shot the other day (scraping/plastic glue) and it seems to be holding strong. Thanks!

If you've got pure solvent glue you don't even need to scrape, it will bond everything including the paint into one solid mass.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yeah you do. Paint weakens a poly cement bond.

Only if you've overpainted the area heavily. If all you have is some primer, most of it will brush off with the glue.

FWIW the glue I'm referring to is less 'glue' and more 'industrial paint stripper'. So this digression is probably irrelevant :v:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Two Beans posted:

Gonna be fun turning that techmarine into a warpsmith. Greenstuff robo-tentacles!

ijyt posted:

Making greenstuff tentacles and posing them suuuuucks, I recommend a pack pewter cables from Dragonforge (scroll to the bottom)

Get a tentacle maker and use greenstuff covered paperclips to make the cables. Decorative, sturdy and infinitely poseable.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

Emphasis on low-melting point of course, since Pewter isn't exactly the strongest of metals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wf3ZmhXuOc

It isn't the strongest of joins and you can't even manipulate the solder properly since the soldering iron will melt the pewter as well.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Just got back from Salute. Spoke to the Anvil guys and they have the entire 'basic' not-sisters line ready for production. They look very good, a bit chunky and there's nothing remotely cheesecake about them.

Photos are of the actual production casts.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 14, 2018

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

They almost look like a cross between the old Sisters of Battle and FW's Solar Auxilia which is one of my favorite ranges. However, I'm personally not sold on them, but knowing that official GW models are in the works probably isn't helping.

I commented to the sculptor/co-owner that I thought they were a bit stumpy looking, especially compared to GW's recent offerings, and he mentioned he might consider stretching them a little. Due to the shape of the backpack and a non-corseted waist, they have a more rectangular look, whereas the Sisters really emphasize the hourglass figure with corsets and the backpack sticking up over both shoulders. They could probably stand to take more 'inspiration' from the sisters, but I get that Anvil's entire schtick is about modularity, so there are limits to what they will do.

I think the helmets probably look a little too big as the proportions on these are different to the regular sisters. I saw one with an unhelmeted head and it definitely looks a lot better.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

I pulled this from update #2 off the kickstarter. Might have been what you saw in person?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1637892615/daughters-of-the-burning-rose/posts/2162369

I think you're right. Bare heads will be the way to go with those.

Yes that's the one. I hope their heads end up as good as the Statuesque ones.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is there anything to stop you from grabbing a lump of blu-tak and just sticking your model to the ledge or whatever it's supposed to be balancing on?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Finally decided to take the plunge into 40k and splurged on a pile of Admech and Custodes.

First painted guy crossposted from the other thread

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's your technique for the metal?

It's very similar Duncan's from the painting video.

Prime Halfords Black
Base Leadbelcher spray
Wash Nuln oil diluted 50:50 with Vallejo Thinner medium
Drybrush VMA Steel
Pick out details with VMC Copper and VMA steel
Wash Agrax Earthshade diluted 50:50 with Thinner
Drybrush VMA steel over Copper areas and any other bits which have been dulled too much by the second wash.
Weather metal areas selectively with heavily thinned VMC Orange-brown and copper areas with Nihlalkh oxide.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Awesome, thanks. That looks like a perfect way to quickly get my robots painted.

I've updated the original post with how I did the weathering on the metal.

It's surprising easy, and I really like the VMA Steel - highly recommended. I just bought the Leadbelcher spray and realise that GW wasn't overselling it when they recommend it for basecoating everything metal. It really is excellent.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Booley posted:

I cannot wait to see what you do with your custodes. Are you going for the normal gold scheme or something more interesting?

I'm thinking of going with the Warders scheme and dark armour, except using dark purple instead of black. Similar to what I did on this Kingdom Death mini:

Edit: ^^^ I saw Booley's comment about his White Custodes, it's beautiful but I'm not mad enough to do it! It's only easy on the Armiger since it's super grimy and weathered and the white's intentionally blotchy. Doing crisp clean whites is a lot more troublesome.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 21, 2018

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Excellent work. Would you mind walking me through how you painted the base? I really like the contrast of the grey and brown.

Rocks and gravel were basecoated VMC Dark Grey.
The rest of the base was basecoated VMC Black-Brown and then covered in Agrellan Earth.
When dry, the entire base was washed with Seraphim Sepia and Agrax Earthshade - Apply these in blotches across the entire base, not mixed together.
Then drybrush everything with VMC Dark Sand building to VMC Pale Sand in the brown areas and VMC Basalt Grey to VMC Deck Tan in the grey areas. The brown and grey highlight colours can be applied to either area depending on how brown/grey you want the overall base to be.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 22, 2018

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

By the way, since Blood Angels have shown up a number of times here I figured this would be worth sharing:

Gunpla wings pack that's coming out soon, multiple balljoints for easy posing before using greenstuff to hide said joints, should be useful for librarian dreadnoughts, though they're likely way too large for infantry.

Booley posted:

But these wings aren't any of those. They're vaguely modern-artifical. They're clearly not organic or angelic, but they're also not the overwrought mechanical wings that you see from the imperium, or the high tech wings you get from eldar.

They're also gigantic compared to the typical 40k miniature. 1/144 gundams are about 15cm (ish) tall and those wings are big even for them.

Maybe if you wanted to put wings on a knight or riptide but they're going to be off scale for everything else.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

New webway gate terrain. This is really beautiful.

Looks a bit Giger-esque with the statues on the sides.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

gender illusionist posted:

Thanks, I'll go for that - I take it the 'air' line are just pre thinned for airbrush but work fine for standard use?

You should probably thin them a little bit more for the airbrush but they are perfect to brush on out of the bottle.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Forums Terrorist posted:

yeah the model colors are expressly designed for airbrushing, they cover like poo poo when brushed. you can brush touchups to sprayed coats but that's it

Echoing Beer4theBeerGod - I've moved over to buying Model/Game Air paints wherever possible now since they're so much nicer to use even for brushpainting.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

goodness posted:

How did you do the white on this magnificent machine

VMC Tan Earth base
Wash Agrax Earthshade
Stipple with VMC Dark Sand
Stipple with VMC Deck Tan
Re-wash crevices with Agrax Earthshade
Tidy any highlights with Deck Tan

For the white stripes I laid down some masking tape and stippled VMC White into those areas.

The stippling technique is from winters SEO on YouTube. Use an old 0 or 1 brush and cut down the bristles, then load with thick paint, wipe excess off and jab aggressively at model.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

Picked up Know No Fear today to convert all of the Primaris into Deathwatch mans. I didn't realize that some of the Easy-Build stuff had shoulder pads sculpted directly onto the bodies. That took a lot longer than I wanted to bother with it.

But in the end, I have a product that I'm reasonably happen enough with. Please forgive my lovely-rear end picture, I only took one while I was at the FLGS building and I didn't feel like getting all dozen of them back out when I got home. :v:

Any tips for those of us thinking of doing the same conversion? Did you just carve the sculpted pad off? Or did you just excise the whole shoulder?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

I tried both at once point or another. Cutting off just the shoulder pad was really tedious, but I think it's the easier option for the Inceptors and Gravis Captain. Replacing the shoulder entirely worked much easier on the rest of them.

In particular, where it was possible I assembled the arms after cutting off the original parts but before gluing on the new shoulder. When I put the new shoulders on, they're lined up with the arms, but the arms and shoulder are not actually connected by anything. I get the feeling that trying to attach the shoulder to the arms before attaching it to the body would suck.

Hmm, doesn't sound too insane then. Would using some greenstuff under the shoulderpad have made things easier? At least you can fudge the shoulder into position?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

How in the world do you remove mold lines that quickly

The GW mold line remover is shockingly quite a lot better to use compared to a knife, and much less likely to gouge out detail.

Also if you use a pure solvent to glue your plastics (dichloromethane/tricholoromethane/Plastic-Weld) then you can brush it onto some mold lines to melt them.