Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mister Kingdom posted:

I started watching the 70s Britcom Robin's Nest and there's been a few casually racist remarks in just the first four episodes. Throwaway lines, but still.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well if it's racism you're looking for, British shows from the 70s are the loving motherlode.

No matter how bad you think they are - they're worse.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Now do "Love Thy Neighbour"

There was actually a sequel series to Love Thy Neighbour in 1980 which was set in Australia, with Eddie emigrating to Australia and continuing his hilarious racist ways in suburban Sydney, except this time he didn't have a West Indian neighbour to bounce off so he just wandered around being racist at random people. It was execrable.
It also co-starred Robert Hughes who Australians will be familiar with as the dad from the beloved late 80s-early 90s sitcom Hey Dad! who was later revealed to be a serial child molester (it turned out that the cops had been trying to bust him since at least 1985) and he was finally arrested in 2012, sentenced in 2014 and paroled and deported last year.

Snackmar posted:

I remember when I first learned about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_and_White_Minstrel_Show and how it was on the BBC for twenty years.. I thought "that can't possibly be real" and holy poo poo I was wrong

mind the walrus posted:

Holy gently caress this is bad.

People were fighting against this show in 1962, and it ran until 1978.

After the TV show ended the troupe kept touring theatres and doing live shows until 1989

Minstrel shows were also pretty popular in Australia and blackface performances continued for a LONG time. Popular 70s/80s/90s TV variety show Hey Hey It's Saturday used to have the occasional blackface act in their 'Red Faces' amateur talent show segment and when they tried to revive the show in 2009 they brought that back too which did NOT go over well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEtjaZ8ZuNU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember Tony Martin was going to do a segment on it for Get This but there wasn't a single moment from the show he could put to air.

It's all on Youtube if you wanna watch it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g_y7q9AprI

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

the_steve posted:

This. It's PR for cops. They're all good people trying to do the right thing, but those darn technicalities stop them from bringing down all of the super mega criminals that run rampant and that's why it's not only ok, but cool and good and right, to break a suspect's arm while denying him a lawyer.

Last Week Tonight did an episode about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNy6F7ZwX8I

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CJacobs posted:

Semi-Charmed Life is still one of the greatest examples of this phenomena. The public will sing along about extorting their girlfriends for amphetamines if the tune is merry enough!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSA6pZjoFQg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps03G7WUTXY

(Note the changed lyrics in the Chipmunks cover)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

In the past you had private investigators as an option, but that isn't really the same in stories set in the modern day.

Naw they're still super popular, a lot of them just morphed into amateur enthusiasts like Miss Marples, Jessica Fletcher, podcast hosts, etc.. Sherlock Holmes adaptations are still going strong as well.

You've also got Magnum PI and The Equalizer (both recently rebooted), Monk, Jack Reacher, etc etc etc.. The classic 'Sam Spade' hardboiled noir PIs were just one variation on the genre.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Brawnfire posted:

I liked Jessica Jones because she was a hard-drinking PI who had a fictional reason not to be brutally killed by bad guys at the end of every episode. I mean, she comes close, but *powers*.

Bruce Willis was pretty hardboiled in The Last Boyscout but that film is 32 years old so I guess it doesn't count if we're talking about the current state of the genre. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Like on some level even Columbo is copaganda, but I mean he's also an ideal of policing most people, even lefties like me, would say is something they could get behind; doesn't carry a weapon, badgers the rich and powerful, only gets involved in genuine crimes rather than serving capital, etc etc.

Like part of the issue with modern copaganda is how the ideal of what policing should be. The old copaganda that attempted to portray cops as your friends who are concerned with justice has given way to a new breed that depicts cops as your masters you should be thankful and deferential to.

The Jack Reacher movies and TV series always skips around this line, they usually include a few corrupt smalltown cops who Reacher has to outmaneuver and defeat as he untangles the big mystery but they usually also include honest cops who have noble intentions at heart but were unable to bring the bad guys to justice without Reacher's help because they were held back by the system. Reacher himself was a SOLDIER COP who always bucked against the system and eventually went rogue because that was the only way he could actually get things done. It's thinly veiled copaganda hiding behind Great Man Theory with a sprinkling of "a few bad apples"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSGXKyntOaw

Pretty much every superhero IP pulls the same thing, the hero has to become a vigilante who operates outside the law because that's what the fictional situation calls for, they deal with the threats that are outside the scope of the legal system which is already struggling to deal with regular everyday crimes. It's pretty much a continuation of the Wild West lone gunslinger hero genre which was itself built upon previous genres.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

the holy poopacy posted:

"the only one for me is you
and the only one for you is me"

is equal to

and for you is me"

is not equal to

and you for me"

you can't just reverse the preposition and preserve the same meaning

I'm pretty sure that the bolded part was the intended meaning but the guys who wrote it mangled it to fit the meter. The Turtles themselves weren't great at writing lyrics either, check out their other big hit:

quote:

Elenore, gee, I think you're swell
And you really do me well
You're my pride and joy, et cetera
Elenore, can I take the time
To ask you to speak your mind?
Tell me that you love me better

I really think you're groovy
Let's go out to a movie
What do you say, now, Elenore, can we?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeAtre3Bxg8
:pwn:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kchama posted:

You still had the exact same bullshit about everything, but the chuds now like all the 90s stuff because they were kids then and didn't care and still hold onto that nostalgia today. There was absolutely outrage over everything even the slightest bit 'left-wing' in the 90s.

There's also a lot of people co-opting stuff they loved back in the 90s even though they clearly never paid that much attention to it. A few years ago there were also a bunch of Twitter accounts going "Oh my god, when did Rage Against The Machine become so political? They used to be one of my favorites, they just lost a fan!" but as far as I can tell they were all ragebait trolls. GOP politician Paul Ryan actually did say he was a fan but "he likes Rage’s sound, but not the lyrics" and he actually had a bit of a feud with Tom Morello when Morello said that Ryan was "the embodiment of the machine that our music has been raging against for two decades".

The appropriation of The Punisher and the Punisher skull logo by the right is also pretty :chloe:, especially when it gets rolled into Thin Blue Line stuff. The Punisher killed quite a few cops in the comics ...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pocket Billiards posted:

Bumblebee Man is based on one specific Mexican comedian no?

Yep, Chespirito's superhero character El Chapulín Colorado

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Samovar posted:

I don't like it.

Show some respect, that man fought Hitler!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WWfks75YjM

Note: media may not have aged well

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

thebardyspoon posted:

Oh some footage of him wrestling with young men on stage years ago as part of some "silly game" called "hide the sausage" on a stage show he was on years back resurfaced, it basically seems like peer pressured sexual harassment of audience members to me.

Just in case it's not clear, the sexual harassment and humiliation was the crux of the joke. It also wasn't just a onetime thing from a small show, it was a regular part of their worldwide live tour at the height of their fame

quote:

Walliams performed a 'Hide the Sausage' sketch numerous times during the Little Britain Live tour in 2006 and subsequent worldwide tours including Little Britain in Australia in 2007 and at charity events. Walliams portrayed a fictional, gay, former children's entertainer and sex offender named Des Kaye who invites volunteers from the audience or celebrity guests to play the game. Recordings of the sketch include footage where Walliams attempts to kiss participants, manhandles them, pulls their trousers and underwear down, and simulates anal sex. Volunteers are seen "grappling to keep their genitals covered." The sketch was criticised by gay rights campaigners and attracted criticism and concern from members of the public.

quote:

Footage from a 2007 BBC documentary titled Little Britain Down Under shows Walliams inviting male teenagers, said to be aged sixteen to eighteen, to play 'Hide the Sausage' on stage. Walliams asks the volunteers to confirm their ages and says "Bingo" when one claims they are sixteen years old before adding, "You're a big boy for 16 aren't you - that's what I'll tell the judge."

Walliams is seen pulling down the trousers and underwear of young men before he appears to kiss their buttocks and simulate anal sex. The volunteers attempt to keep their clothes on.

During the documentary, Walliams reads a letter he claims was written by a victim of sexual abuse who criticises the Des Kaye character. Elsewhere in the documentary, Walliams says, "I love cruelty, it's my favourite thing in the world."

quote:

Matt Lucas discussed the 'Hide the Sausage' sketch in his 2017 autobiography titled Little Me and claimed that some audience members reacted with violence. Lucas wrote that. "During a game of 'Hide the Sausage', he would almost always wrestle the trousers off some poor lad" adding that, "You could never get away with that today. In fact he didn't always get away with it then. Sometimes David would get a clout for his troubles and I'd see him in the wings afterwards, nursing a sore ear."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Walliams#Controversies

Also this:

quote:

In 2009, Walliams dated eighteen-year-old model Lauren Budd. Budd claimed Walliams had approached her agent, Premier Model Management for a date with Budd.
Walliams was 38 at the time

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

credburn posted:

"Western RPG" is used basically to specifically say it didn't come from Japan.

Oh boy, that's some classic olde timey racism. Here in Australia it's not uncommon to find antique furniture with this stamp on it somewhere:

They verified that the furniture was made with "European labour only" so people would know it wasn't made by Chinese immigrant labour.
https://blogs.slv.vic.gov.au/such-was-life/european-labour-stamps-on-australian-furniture/

E: does furniture count as media that didn't age well?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Randalor posted:

There are cartoons widely considered to be anime made outside of Japan and its a term that doesn't single out a specific country. I'm not the one that first suggested it, I just listed it with other terms people could use to describe RPGs that doesn't say "This game is from Japan, even if it's not from Japan".

I got dragged in CD for suggesting that the animated 1986 Transformers film was anime even though it was animated anime-style, most of the animators were Japanese and Toei Animation vice president Kozo Morishita traveled to the US for a year to supervise the art direction, and the Transformers characters themselves were all originally designed in Japan.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is Gargoyles anime?

Only if Batman: The Animated Series is also anime, most of Gargoyles core creators came across from there and they both had a pretty similar look. I'd call both of them Western-style animated series which outsourced a lot of the work to Japanese production houses, and they leaned heavily on the style of the 1940s Fleischer Superman cartoons.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Volcott posted:

Thundercats is an anime. The last unicorn is an anime.

Anime is blood.

Am ..... am I an anime??? :ohdear:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

John Murdoch posted:

Captain America punched Hitler for purely apolitical reasons.

Maybe there was a mosquito on his face and he was trying to swat it, there's simply no way of knowing

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vandar posted:

That's the thing.

They're not the same couple.

Yeah their defining trait is their sameness to the other couples, which is different than being the same as the other couples. It's a nuanced but important distinction.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure you could take most of those movies, divide them up into their 3 act segments, randomly mix them up and air them and a lot of viewers might not notice any difference. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

:effort:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Don't forget Xena Warrior Princess. ;) Lucy Lawless has been trolling the poo poo out of Kevin Sorbo on Twitter for years now

Here's one from just a few days ago
https://twitter.com/RealLucyLawless/status/1642961004933054464

Word has it that he's always been super mad that her spin-off show beat his in the ratings, got bigger budgets and won more awards

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Apr 17, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Via the comicbook movies thread in CD, someone mentioned Dwayne McDuffie and his satirical TNNT pitch:

.... which started a discussion about Night Thrasher

Everyone posted:

Not for nothing but Night Thrasher actually debuted as a Marvel character in Thor in Dec. of 1989. I don't recall him using a skateboard.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Let me jog your memory, lol

His action figure even comes with a skateboard!

E: some trivia from the link you posted:

quote:

Tom DeFalco based Night Thrasher on newsstand market research. One time he was visiting Marvel Comics' newsstand distributor he asked their representative if any particular magazines were selling to teenage boys. He pointed DeFalco to skateboarding magazines like Thrasher, which DeFalco studied and based Night Thrasher on them.

His name literally means 'Dark Skateboarder'

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Her Instagram seems to be strongly LGBTQ+ supportive, strongly BLM, she's a huge fan of Greta Thunberg and Kamala Harris, etc.. :shrug:
https://www.instagram.com/realreneeoconnor/?hl=en

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dopilsya posted:

Out of curiosity, what makes you say that? I don't know that I've seen anything that implies she's even leans conservative.

She's got a bunch of "Support our troops!" posts on her Insta mixed in among the BLM and LGBTQ+ posts, that's about all I can find.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
One time Kate Mulgrew (Captain Janeway from Star Trek Voyager) narrated a space documentary and it turned out she and most of the scientists who'd appeared in it had been misled by the producers and it was actually a pro-flat-earth documentary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Principle

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Len posted:

My mom was once complaining about how my grandmother still brought up poo poo she did as a teen/young adult that was embarrassing and that I should tell her not to do that if she starts it.

So I immediately said she should stop bringing up that I played with fire as a teenager and she just kind of looked at me like it was a shock I didn't enjoy having her remind me of embarrassing dumb poo poo constantly

It turns out that it's sometimes super difficult to not not repeat the childrearing mistakes your parents made even if you're aware on some level that it's lovely, hurtful behaviour. There's a part of your brain that got taught that this is how families treat each other which can never be fully overwritten and it takes work to keep suppressing it.

Of course there's also a lot of people who never figured out that their childhood environment was at least partially lovely and toxic and they're proud to raise their kids exactly the same way they were raised, because "My daddy was a saint, how dare you!!" instantly overrides pretty much any other input and they're simply not ready to start unpacking that. Any pushback on the way they raise their kids becomes an attack on the way they were raised, etc etc. and the cycle of abuse rolls on.

There's an old quote that goes something like "If you insist on traumatizing your kids because "My parents did it to me and I turned out fine" then you did not, in fact, turn out fine."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My parents were always aware that I was a "miserable child" (in their words) but apparently they just saw that as an annoyance and did their best to ignore it and it didn't occur to them to do anything about it or even look into it. A few years ago we were talking about childhood stuff and when I mentioned the horrific bullying I received at school they were genuinely surprised to hear about it, they had no idea it had happened. I was so shocked I couldn't even respond.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Wait, what the gently caress is this? Young Hercules starring Ryan Gosling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUHUVnJIbpE

I've never ever heard of that but it apparently ran for 50 episodes??

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Most of the city states had patron gods and their local stories put them as chief protagonist. As mentioned Athena was Athens, Sparta had Ares and Olympia had Zeus for just a few examples.

Toshimo posted:

The Important Haircut is a trope from time immemorial: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ImportantHaircut

Speaking about Important Haircuts and Spartans, they were super proud of their long hair and used to style it before battle and decorate it with ornaments

quote:

In the earliest times the Greeks wore their κόμη (hair of the head) long, and thus Homer constantly calls them κᾰρηκομόωντες (long-haired).

This ancient practice was preserved by the Spartans for many centuries. The Spartan boys always had their hair cut quite short (en chroi keirontes), but as soon as they reached the age of puberty, they let it grow long. They prided themselves upon their hair, calling it the cheapest of ornaments (kosmon adapanotatos), and before going to battle they combed and dressed it with especial care, in which act Leonidas and his followers were discovered by the Persian spy before the battle of Thermopylae. It seems that both Spartan men and women tied their hair in a knot over the crown of the head. At a later time, the Spartans abandoned this ancient custom, and wore their hair short, and hence some writers erroneously attribute this practice to an earlier period.

I wonder if any of the chuds who decorate their trucks with MOLON LABE decals realise that their beloved Spartan warriors spent hours before battle tying up their hair into man buns and decorating it with scrunchies and hair clips. :allears:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sucrose posted:

Probably similar to how fashion among the European upper classes for hundreds of years was to drape yourself in an absolute poo poo-ton of fabric, until textiles got so cheap that anyone could do it at which point that fashion abruptly stopped.

See also: 'beautifully manicured lawns which were only possible if you could afford a team of gardeners to constantly maintain it' vs 'the invention of the lawnmower'

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Brawnfire posted:

Everything I've read that mentions fulling suggests fulling sucked major loving rear end, between the lifting of huge skeins, monotonous hammering and agitating, skin-peeling chemicals, being constantly wet, getting paid like dirt, etc.

I figure I'd probably be a fuller

Regular joes were only paid half a dollar per day for fulling, but anyone who'd been ordained got paid a full dollar

It was still hard work, but it was much better to be a buck minister fuller

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

fartknocker posted:

Pretty sure both those were things long before HIMYM.

Yeah there's versions of the "half your age plus seven" rule going back as least as far as 1879: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_disparity_in_sexual_relationships#%22Half-your-age-plus-seven%22_rule

Although I swear I recently saw a news article which claimed that the guy who invented the rule just died, I must be thinking of something else

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

darkwasthenight posted:

Not heard an irl y'all, but plenty of 'youse' and 'yins'. Tha's fills the same role for older lads round here although not as common as singular 'tha' or 'thee'.

Yeah here in Australia I hear 'youse' all the time

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kwyndig posted:

There was a comic book that had edgy takes on the Flintstones like instead of the sex cave everybody gets married and raises their own kids

That part where one of the anti-monogamy protesters had a "God Hates Dads" placard was pretty funny. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Randalor posted:

I've heard some of the Scooby-Doo reboots were actually fairly good. Just not the last one.

Hanna Barbera had been rebooting/revamping Scooby Doo since Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics in 1977 and Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo in 1979. A Pup Named Scooby-Doo came out in 1988, 35 years ago.

ponzicar posted:

Like Jabberjaw? Hanna-Barbera did a huge amount of "recycling" with their hits.

Yeah they kept trying to replicate the success of Scooby Doo over and over and over and over with the "3 to 5 teens plus [wacky character] who solve mysteries" format: Goober And The Ghost Chasers, Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels, Speed Buggy, The Funky Phantom, Clue Club, Jabberjaw, The New Shmoo, Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space, etc etc

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hanna Barbera churned out a massive volume of lovely cheap by-the-numbers cartoons for decade after decade, I can only imagine that the conditions in their production offices were like something out of Glengarry Glen Ross except they were screaming about cutesy cartoon dogs instead of closing real estate deals

ABC!
Always!
Be!
Cartoon dogging!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nah. A lot of assholes that happen to have talent use that talent to cover up their crimes. Being skilled didn't make them lovely

We just had to spend the last few weeks arguing that exact point here in Australia after famed comedian/satirist and beloved national icon (but also extremely lovely transphobe and pedophile apologist) Barry Humphries died. Turns out there's a whooooooooooole lotta people who were more than happy to overlook his outspoken bigotry and his years of vilifying trans people and got outright angry if anyone mentioned it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pentaro posted:

I also had this particular assumption, but about Top Cat. That cartoon was shown almost daily in Mexico when I was a kid, it's still remembered fondly. 30 episodes, if Google isn't lying.

Yeah it was HUGE in Mexico. The 2011 CGI Top Cat film and its 2015 sequel were produced in Mexico and originally released in Spanish and had to be dubbed into English for the US release. They only got a limited theatrical release in the US, the interest just wasn't as high.

A similar thing happened with the old Japanese giant robot anime series Voltes V. It was huge in the Philippines (even though President Marcos banned it and the fans had to wait until he was ousted to see the final few episodes) and so the upcoming TV series & movie were produced in the Philippines and most of the the dialogue was recorded in Tagalog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux-MNKChlrs

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aces High posted:

Vercingetorix is the former chief whose shield the current one is carried on, the chief in all Asterix adventures is named Vitalstatistix (in English, whole lotta other regional names)

To add to the confusions, apparently he was given several different names across various English translations: in some US comics he was called Macroeconomix and in some of the films he was called Tonabrix or Bombastix
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asterix_characters#Vitalstatistix

Also a whole lot of the original French puns simply couldn't be translated into English so the translators just had to do their best: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_translations_of_Asterix#Lost_in_translation

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Laterite posted:

there was like 12 episodes of turbo teen ever made and yet i think about this at least once a week:

It just occurred to me that this was probably a low effort ripoff of Transformers but I just googled it and they both came out in September 1984 and Turbo Teen actually beat Transformers to air by about a week.

Apparently it was a low effort ripoff of Knight Rider

quote:

It was broadcast during the growing popularity of the Knight Rider television series and mirrors much of it. The car that Brett turns into looks like an amalgam of a Third Generation Chevrolet Camaro and its sister car, the Pontiac Trans Am; the later model Knight Rider's KITT is based on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

the_steve posted:

I'm honestly surprised Captain Planet hasn't gotten a gritty made-for-Netflix reboot.

It hasn't been for lack of trying:

quote:

Multiple attempts have been made to create a film adaptation of the series. The first occurred in 1996 when Boxer and Pyle wrote a film adaptation of Captain Planet originally titled Planet.Five years later, Michael Reaves revised the concept as Dark Planet or Planet. The storyline was darker than the series, and set in a post-apocalyptic time period. However, the script was lost when Turner and Warner Bros. merged in 1996. The film reached the design stage before it was abandoned.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Planet_and_the_Planeteers#Film

..... but the people who developed the cartoon really really believe in the message behind it which has been a barrier against people cashing in on it since inception: they insisted that merchandising tie-ins for the show had to be made sustainably, etc etc.. They also founded the Captain Planet Foundation and the Planeteer Movement which are both still active across the globe