Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What the hell happens next?
This poll is closed.
They literally set fire to the ring by accident 2 2.22%
They literally set fire to the ring on purpose 6 6.67%
Film 6 months of content accidentally using WWE prop belts 6 6.67%
Rehire Jeff Jarrett 23 25.56%
Start splicing in archival footage of AJ Styles and pretending it's current 23 25.56%
Accidentally switch the live Pop TV feed to the WWE Network 6 6.67%
Lose the keys to the production truck, film 6 months of content in the parking lot with a Samsung 7 7.78%
Sue a fan who flips the bird on air, lose all company rights to said fan 13 14.44%
Somehow everything gets good and they start making money (Comedy Option) 4 4.44%
Total: 90 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Vince didn't have any money in The Scorpion King or the Rundown.

We've heard so many stories from guys who leave WWE and say it was so hard to take outside projects, let's not pretend TNA is any shittier here.

For me the difference is that WWE is directly responsible for Rock and anybody else who gets movies' initial fame.

Ain't nobody gettin' hired in Hollywood because they blew minds in TNA or GFW or WTF or whatever they call themselves now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RZApublican posted:

Not surprising, TNA takes every WWE castoff.

:golfclap:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I remember when Scott Hall noshowed a weekly TNA show and was scheduled to team with Waltman and Road Dogg, JJ cut a long smug promo about how he wasn't surprised Scott wasn't there.

We've come full circle, I guess.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I think you could probably make an argument that Gail will be remembered more for her TNA work - especially the Kong stuff - than anything she ever did in WWE.

But yeah, its kind of absurd that people like Angle, Hebner, and the Dudleys are "in there" and not guys like AJ, Lynn, Storm, Roode, whoever.

Ultimately because of TNA's rep the point of their HOF is more about getting them publicity, and their feeling is honoring Sting is gonna get more attention than honoring Jerry Lynn. Which is unfortunate, I really like Jerry.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

Jerry Lynn has always been the wrestler's wrestler. Hell, ROH tried to hook him up with a top babyface spot and the crowds went ugly on him.

In fairness that was a bit past Jerry's prime, plus everyone knew it was them trying to latch onto "The Wrestler".

Gonzo McFee posted:

ROH crowds always go ugly on top babyfaces eventually.

That too. Especially if they win the title.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It's sad because they've done so much more damage to the wrestling industry than good, but I initially was excited at the idea of the NWA having the platform of a national audience (on paper, anyways).

I wish it could have been different, as many jokes as I've made.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

stab posted:

Two great guys. I hope they do well.

Theyre hampered by the fact that theyre primarily french speaking dudes and are slowly on their way to the kevin owens way of speaking english

Aren't they students of Kevin's?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Boy, Rosemary's having a rough year

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Gama Singh was a big stampede star who mentored Don Callis back when Don still wrestled. Gama was actually good though, so he's no Jinder....I assume he won't be wrestling, he's like 70.

Edit: 63, but close enough

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Explosions posted:

Every champion comes out like Ultimo Dragon.

FESTOONED with the motherfuckers.

I now want to hear Nick Gage say this

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rick posted:

Rest in peace Spike TV, the network of choice for extremely dumb television (generally produced by J.D. Roth) during most of its run, which was always my thing. Eventually the network started to get too serious and I had to bounce, but it was nice while it lasted. TNA was always a perfect partner for it.

I remember after Enterprise failed I was reading articles about how Paramount was dead (which honestly seemed dumb to me when I read it but at least for a while Hollywood seemed to be really cold on Paramount stuff). Now it has its own network. I think the lesson for TNA to take away with it is to let J.J. Abrams reboot them and retell their iconic storylines with completely different wrestlers.

....the J.D. Roth that hosted GamePro TV?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Amusing twitter name too

(Jacob Cohen is Rodney Dangerfield's real name)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

He was already in LU and if i recall they had their fill of dealing with his nonsense.

IIRC, he walked because he wasn't the show's main focus after they suggested he would be

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Demp posted:

Because when ROH, NXT, House of Hardcore, and even Style Battle are going on at the same time, why in god's name would you choose to go to Impact?

Plus Joey Janela's Spring Break II

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

joylessdivision posted:

I thought Teddy was retired/in prison for some nonsense?

Also it's 2018 and he's still bringing his loving cat along with him.

The original kitty died I think someone said, maybe coconono.

He was arrested for DUI/resisting arrest, but I don't know what happened with those charges. It was a while ago and probably his first charge in Texas, so it might have just been a fine and a week or two in jail or something, I've no idea how the law regarding DUI works in Texas.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

grack posted:

Is it something that WCW would have done? If yes, TNA would probably do it.

And they'll probably do it in a way that hurts them even more

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

bout a week ago tna switched to paying their roster in bitcoin

Is it weird that I'm not sure if you're kidding or not?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was hoping they meant Newark Delaware personally

Trying to invade CZW territory, eh?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

whoa wait whens there been CZW in delaware

I would hella go at least once

They used to run regular shows in Dover and Smyrna, back when Zandig originally owned the company. Tajiri won the CZW title in Dover (and lost it the same night)

Plus the tournies, as Coco said

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I know lol TNA and all but how did that dude manage to make it all the way to the ramp without someone backstage going "Hey, you can't be wearing that nazi poo poo on camera"

By being a 6'9 neo-nazi who is also tight with the company owner. You can't win that fight mentally or physically.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm still trying to get past the idea of neo-nazis putting on lucha shows, with actual Mexicans and everything

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If you've never seen in it, watch the episode of Best Friends with Teddy as the guest. It is loving nuts, and the only time I've ever seen Chuck look truly uncomfortable with his guests' actions and words. We watched it live on PSP TV and it was a surreal experience.

Which is saying something, as he had Bill Carr on an Officer and a Gentleman, and Carr's a weirdo, but more in the "Get a load of this guy" sense, rather than "Are we an accessory to a felony right now?".

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 11, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Is that the one where he tells the story about the police showing up, and he pulls out a gun and puts it to his own head and tells them,"Let me tell my side of the story or I'll kill myself!"?

Because that poo poo was loving insane.

I believe so. He also gives an account of the story of his rape charges, unsolicited, IIRC. Best Friends ain't exactly hard hitting journalism.

Fun fact: TNA still owes Dustin 600 bucks.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

That's because it is his best album.

You and I often don't agree on music....but I agree with this take.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rovert posted:

Would have Este turn after the second segment they were introduced.

No incest angle? I feel like you missed the obvious joke here.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RZApublican posted:

I'd see the Smashing Pumpkins if they had Tim Storm opening for them

Be real, you'd leave after the opener

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

He wouldn't even be in the bottom 10 of bad entries.

Yeah. Like, if you make believe like WWE treats those who accomplish a lot as the most worthy of the hall for a moment like other sports present themselves as doing, Jarrett has a LOT of gold, just between WCW and WWE, not even counting the straps he won in TNA, USWA, and AAA.

4 world titles, 6 IC titles, 3 US titles, and a tag title. Also former European champion. Compare that to people who didn't achieve poo poo like Koko B. Ware, Johnny Rodz (who contributed far more as a trainer than as a worker), and Wendi Richter. Or scumbags like the Warrior, Mae Young, Moolah, or Jerry Lawler, and Jarrett seems like he absolutely belongs.

When I wiki'd him, I also found out he used to have a finish called The Grand Old Dropry (jumping DDT), which is cooler than any other finishing hold name he's ever used.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 17, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MrBling posted:

Vince can't make any money by putting Jerry in the HOF. There might just still be some slight amount of business to be done with Jeff.

Even if there isn't, Jeff being inducted is a lot more interest grabbing than Jerry is

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

I hope he stumbles on stage drunk and starts throwing tacos at the money marks

Say what you will about money marks but I will not tolerate wasting tacos

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

freeranger posted:

Thought it had other meanings. Thanks.

I'm a little disappointed now, I really wanted them to have ripped off Saints Row

I'm sure they will in time, it's absolutely possible someone gets bopped on the head with a dildo and loses a match that way

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fart blood posted:

So did my ex but I still loved her.

Is that how you got your username?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Sami Callihan is the worst. I can't think of any promotion that wouldn't be improved by dumping his rear end.

AAW is pretty dependant on him he sorta carried the company for a bit along with the OI4K, Eddie Kingston, and the Lucha Bros.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was speaking more generally about some Indy guys in general, not that specific match

And besides, WM weekend is also the biggest casual fan event too. Why try to compete with 20 indyriffic events only 5% of the audience knows about and not try to hook in the other 95% who are there.

I mean, say what you want, but there is a reason Kaiju is outdrawing them

Yes, because nobody wants to be seen dead at an Impact event

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I've never seen so many dead dogs in trunks in my life.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The dogs are in the enclosed vehicle

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

It's the same thing as the "but I have black friends so I can't be racist" defense. All it means is they think they've found one of the good ones so clearly they can't be labeled as negatively as all the other racists/nazis

Notice how Russo got involved with the company too, despite all the previous abhorrent poo poo he said about Mexican wrestling. His opinion on it hasn't changed, he just found a way to be paid by one of those companies so clearly this one in particular is good in his opinion which makes it okay, see he's not really that bad now right guys

Alternatively the list of companies willing to pay for his work is really short

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fart blood posted:

I don’t know. It just comes off so...corny to me. I’m not saying there isn’t talent there. I think Dalton Castle is very charming and I’ve been a Jay Lethal mark for a while. But the whole promotion just feels like the B-movie equivalent of a wrestling promotion. The Troma of pro wrestling. Only boring instead of cool. I don’t know, am I making sense?

Troma's a really off-base comparison, since their whole thing was guerilla filmmaking on next to no budget which caused their stuff to come off as funny (sometimes intentionally, sometimes not).

ROH is owned by major media conglomerate who refuses to spend much money on them, but because they have some extremely talented guys, it's sometimes good anyways. It's not really a valid comparison. I sort of agree that exclusive deals hurt them, but I also feel that as they grew, it was something that was bound to happen. Ideally you want your talent to be seen as something special people can't get elsewhere.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Explosions posted:

Hopefully they've learned a lesson about whether their shows need El Patron (not really) and whether their shows need Willie Mack (extremely yes)

A lesson the entire wrestling world could stand to learn, Willie Mack rules.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 7, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

It's not a bad lineup but it made me wonder if this is literally their entire pool of talent (and some LU guests) so I checked Impact's "Active Roster". People on the list not booked for this PPV:

Abyss
Andrew Everett
Bhupinder Singh
Bobby Lashley
Braxton Sutter
Caleb Konley
Chandler Park
Fallah Bahh
Garza Jr.
Grado
Gursinder Singh
Johnny Impact
KM
Kongo Kong
Laredo Kid
Rohit Raju
Sonjay Dutt
Suicide
Tyrus

So the short answer is, "yes, basically".

OTOH, they're not a company that can afford to have guys for utility purposes, and recognizing that isn't a bad thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
the game show channel shows Impact as well, does Impact get anything for that?