Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

It's an attempt to reassure themselves and their white supporters that they're not racist, because racist is the worst thing you can call a white person.
To be fair like 90% of leftist Internet is people desperately trying to prove they are more Not Racist than the next guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

That's a bit misleading because it's just discretionary spending, in terms of all spending entitlement programs take the cake.

Not to say that the military budget isn't overlarge as a consequence of graft, bloat, and buying poo poo we don't need, but entitlements should be reformed too.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

By "reformed" you mean "expanded dramatically" right?

UBI or bust
I think it would be possible to vastly expand the services these programs deliver while reducing their cost. And ultimately, even if the budget numbers were higher, they would be offset by an increase in tax revenue in a "virtuous cycle."

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Calibanibal posted:

Anybody who has watched one of those new employee videos would know what to do when one of your coworkers commits a war crime -

1. Talk to your coworker about it in private
2. Talk to your boss about it
3. Talk to your boss's boss about it
4. Talk to HR about it
5. Call the Department of Labor
6. Call the police
7. Leak to the press
8. Leak to wikileaks

Manning skipped straight to #7, half-assed that, and then moved on to #8
The military is not a Wal-Mart.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I would love to see a “mandatory response” proposition. You get sent a postcard, and have the option of not voting, but you are required to check a box to that effect below your candidate choices. At least in a Downsian sense this is nearly equivalent to mandatory voting since you’ve removed the costs associated with the act, and it’s far more politically marketable in the US.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Boon posted:

I opened up CNN to see how they're handing the FCC regulation roll-back (it's a footnote) and saw instead "Al Franken's Deafening Silence" and though to myself "I bet this lovely click-bait article is Chis Cilliza.

I was not surprised.
My question is whether Wikipedia et al will stand up to this the way they did SOPA and cut off service in protest.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hobbes was right.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.amazon.com/Irish-Became-White-Routledge-Classics/dp/0415963095

The Irish and Italians "Became white" through a few different mechanisms -- partly wartime military service -- but also to a very large extent the fact that they weren't black. In America, you're either Underclass or Overclass, there's no inbetween.
This was recommended to me by a couple professors, thanks for posting it as I've completely forgotten to read it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Well, this is one way to purge Congress.

quote:

Scott's office on Friday provided documents indicating Everson worked in the congressman's office from September 2012 until the summer of 2013 in the first part of a two-year congressional internship. According to Dailey and the documents he provided, she was not fired but was moving on to the second part of her internship.

quote:

Everson's accusations against Scott are similar to accusations she made in a 2011 lawsuit after she was fired from Chicago’s Office of the Inspector General.

The lawsuit claimed Everson rebuffed a proposition by the office’s chief investigator and then was fired in November 2010 for misusing furlough days.

About a year later, Everson filed the lawsuit seeking $50,000 for damages for wrongful termination and defamation. Everson withdrew the suit in 2012 after the defendants moved to have the case dismissed.

quote:

Standing next to Everson on Friday was her lawyer, Jack Burkman, a Republican lobbyist and conservative radio talk-show host. Everson is employed by Burkman’s firm, according to federal disclosure documents. Burkman garnered media attention in 2014 when he announced that he was gathering support for a law to ban gay athletes from the NFL. No related bill ever surfaced in Congress.

On Everson's LinkedIn profile, she says she worked as a "Legislative Counsel/Legislative Fellow" from September 2012 to October 2013.

She also says she is a "Sexual Harassment Expert" and women's rights advocate and that in 2014, she founded a group aimed at ending workplace harassment.
:thunk:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

That actually looks pretty bad.
Welcome to the flip side of mass hysteria and trial-by-media! Doesn't matter if its a really blatant smear, the Dems will eat it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Are you one of those people mad that Franken had to resign?
No? He had multiple, credible accusers. This is probably a smear.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

khy posted:

I don't want to accuse an innocent man of wrongdoing, but neither do I want to be the one to ignore the cries of a rape victim. What's my options here?
We used to have these things called courts.

Condiv posted:

you would think 3 dems well to the left of manchin winning in oklahoma would make that p obvious, but people seem hellbent on sticking to the "centrism is the only way to win" narrative :shrug:
The whole "all white men are trash yas kween" faction of the party isn't helping their southern popularity either.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 16, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Cenk Uygur is perhaps the most annoying person I have ever seen or heard of.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

"Progressive" "Centrist" "Leftist" are all names white people use to blame each other for poo poo while not doing anything about white supremacy, so don't drag the Civil Rights movement into your leftist pissing contests cause it aint got poo poo to do with yall
I miss goons.txt

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I think it might even be worse to be the sort of person who tries to forcibly insert "nuance" into issues where something actually is clearly wrong or harmful.
This kind of thinking is really intellectually sloppy and willfully stupid. There is not a single issue where the discussion is not improved by nuance.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I am sucking myself off at this very minute and it hasn't stopped me from posting,

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

This is so sickening. I thought we had moved beyond abusing emdashes like this

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think the main driver, at least in the Second scare, was just that it was really, really politically convenient. McCarthy was kind of a nobody before McCarthyism.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Mate, American politics has been a pissing contest since 1776.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Like a lot of things in The Baffler, this is frustrating, because it's mostly great and right and yet a little bit extremely wrong. You can demand better Democratic leadership without suggesting that a president without a college diploma would somehow be a good thing. Experienced, educated, "high-quality" candidates and progressive ideas are not incompatible. Bernie went to the University of Chicago. There's also plenty of great political science to deploy against La Raja and Rauch.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

Posner's a dangerous, powerful jerk.
Posner is occasionally brilliant in privacy law but yeah, it's a lot of this.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

The fact that Dem centrists say with a straight face that gun control, particularly gun control of vanilla semiauto AR15s is more politically feasible and popular than single payer healthcare remains insane
Tribe is no centrist, but his positions are all very predictable and boring and a few are outright stupid. The guy also happens to be one of the greatest Constitutional law scholars ever, so it's all very frustrating.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Koalas March posted:

INT. SOMETHINGAWFUL FORUMS LIBRARY - DAY

KOALAS MARCH grabs a dusty book. After thoroughly examining it, she blows the dust off in a large, swirling, expanding cloud.

She cautiously slides it open, and then traces her finger over one of the pages. She stops and pauses at a certain passage...

KOALAS MARCH
(reading)
Much like your posting.
*DISTANT ORC SCREAMS*

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I know this is beltway baseball but oh my god these Georgetown tears are delicious

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/375995-two-months-out-white-house-correspondents-dinner-parties

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

quote:

“Are you committed to continue to grant programs that are identified, I believe, as the Japanese American Confinement Sites grants program which were funded in 2017? Will we see them funded again in 2018?” Hanabusa asked.

“Oh, konnichiwa,” Zinke replied, deploying a Japanese greeting typically used in midday.
gently caress you.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'll support replacing Pelosi when I hear a good plan for exactly who we're replacing her with.

It's fine to be lolrandom accellerationist burnitall or whatever but let's take a look at Steny Hoyer, her likely successor if removed

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1010280125961785344

oooooh ok yeah let's stick with Pelosi until you have a worthwhile replacement lined up
Hoyer aint great, but he's way, way, way better than Pelosi.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

gently caress.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

One big systemic issue is the tendency of Democrats and leftists to ascribe their political failures to systemic issues, as if this lame excuse means they can shirk responsibility. Yes, there are problems with our democratic institutions and system of government; no, that does not excuse your total failure to present your voters with a worthwhile ideological platform and to act on an attractive, clearly articulated governing agenda.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Details from the Ellison divorce records were reported in the media. No evidence of abuse from Keith, but apparently those records allege that he, himself, was a victim of physical abuse. They really should have kept those records sealed. :(
A lot of media coverage of the allegations sure is going to look silly!!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Almost all of these “Democratic” consulting firms will lobby for whatever horrible poo poo if you throw enough money at them: see also, GPG and Saudi Arabia. Their Democratic-ness doesn’t extend much deeper than obvious social issues like gay marriage.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Centrist Democrats pump up idpol because they know it will get rich urbanites who have already got theirs to vote for them, even as they turn around and gently caress minorities, the poor, and rural voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

I mean, sure, the electoral college isn't exactly a fair and equitable system where everyone gets an equal vote. But that doesn't mean Trump's win (and Dems' loss) is any less legitimate than every other president. Hell, it's at least definitely more legitimate than Bush v Gore, and liberals didn't declare Bush illegitimate and call for him to be impeached or otherwise removed.
Yes they did.

• Locked thread