Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Lasers, spaceships, junks, planets, and trains already exist. They're not science-fiction.

OK, but this movie is set a long long time ago when we didn't have them so it is science-fiction. If I knew how to put a smug robot emoticon thingy here, there would be one here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

300 is also for example science-fiction, because while Persians existed, they did not have cave trolls in their armies.

I think only if the cave trolls were from outer space or had been genetically engineered.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

To call these three movies a trilogy just seems a bit weird to me, like we're only doing that because its star wars and we know we're supposed to. With the prequels, after the second one everyone went back to see the little poo poo finally become Darth Vader as we all knew that was the point of the whole affair. I'm far too young and beautiful to know what the deal was with the original trilogy but I presume it was a more organic affair and franchises didn't need to sustain billion dollar companies for the next eternity anyway.

With this lot though, its right another movie, to... er do what exactly? What story is getting finished off here? Especially given the chinese whisper style story telling between the first two. All the old people are dead, theres the sith school shooter, supergirl and the bumbling blokes to somehow put a lid on this centuries long story of galactic politics and warfare. Before we get some more. Probably with the same characters anyway.

I don't think I like star wars.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Darth Maul is an alien anyway, why didn't they just say there was nothing important in his legs anyway and he grew them back.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

porfiria posted:

Was Darth Maul's penis (before he lost in the reactor core of Theed City) red, black, or red and black?

Good question. These are the kind of things they need to push in the marketing for the next star wars to get me to see it. We need answers to questions.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

glad she is dead posted:

I had an argument with someone today who was annoyed at TLJ because "it didn't allow Luke Skywalker to be his true self".

Like... what?

Now luke's dead we'll never get to see him pick up those power converters from Tosche Station (although of course its been swallowed up into the sprawl of niima outpost these days so probably not as much fun anyway).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

multijoe posted:

Think about when a guy in a cartoon winds his punch up like a crank, it's the same visual principle

I wind myself up before posting. Mainly by reading all the preceding posts!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Question Friend posted:

Just watched the original fight and auralnauts didn't loop it in FFC

Btw I'm not saying the Anakin vs. Obiwan fight isn't sweet. Even if it goes on too long it's still probably the sweetest fight in Star Wars. That part is just funny

I dunno what FFC is but I googled auralnauts and in 'jedi dance fight' they both loop and replay after a quick cutaway the spinning light sabre scene. In the film you can count obi wan's light sabre making 4 distinct trips behind his back, in 'jedi dance fight' during the first showing of the clip, his light sabre travels behind his back 9 times. I used youtube's 0.25 speed setting to perform these observations, they cannot be questioned friend.

In the film I still think it looks a bit daft, but no more so than when they actually contact with each other's light sabres as why not try to hit where the other guy's sword isn't although I am not an expert sword fighter and I guess you have to worry about the other guy hitting you as well so there's a balance to be struck between offence and defence I suppose.

Anyway.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

It was literally Kylo ren who killed him.

You see him do it

He does it

What the Christ

That light sabre very shortly afterwards explodes. It was clearly faulty. Snoke's death was a workplace accident.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Do they have members as such? Is alt right not more like a political/behavioural position rather than an actual club with fees and membership cards? Like the difference between sith and the dark side, I think alt right is just being on the dark side rather than being a sith. I dunno who is a sith.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Nah, I think snoke is an elderly darth maul once he'd got over that whole awkward, juvenile heavy make up and body modification phase. We've already seen him glue himself back together somehow once, so snoke will probably return in the next movie again.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Its the same scar and in the same place, he just force regrew his face slightly to the left and now always turns his head a little bit to the right to look straight ahead.

Its quite obvious in some shots.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It kinda makes sense that a bunch of horny jedi were setup in a jedi boarding school in the middle of nowhere with a useless jedi master that drove the school into the ground and 16 odd years later a genetically super jedi shows up on the same planet with no idea where her quickly disappearing parents had gone.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Except it does contradict Ben saying her parents were paupers

Star wars kinda has form for dudes named Ben not being totally straight with some young prodigy about who their parents are.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It? wtf?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Eh? wrong hobbit? I'm confused.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah it was boring and made no sense. Like maybe at any point someone was going to do something... But didn't. Fine whatever now we are on a planet. A massive gravity well. But there's a cave. With a door. It's garbage.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Regarding rotten tomatoes:

Raccooon posted:

So take what they say with a grain of salt

First smart things you've said all thread.*

*I dont know you or your posts maybe you've said a bunch of smart poo poo.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Is Kylo aware that his mom’s not dead?

Yeah, he can still see shes on Force Whatsapp.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I quite liked the little touch in avengers where thor speaks tree because he did a class at university, is wookie an easy language for Rey to pick up? Or does she mainly communicate with Chewbacca through like the offering of treats or something?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jesus was just lucky he didn't meet any wise jedi when he was a kid, although isn't there a period of his like unaccounted for?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

They needed to get a movie out, quick.

Why was that?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

jivjov posted:

Im saying that the owners of Star Wars determine what is and isn't canon. If you don't accept this, you aren't accepting reality.

Qui-Gon Jinn (The Phantom Menace) posted:

Remember: Your focus determines your reality.

Who am I to believe here?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

What ever happened to the three wise men? Why didn't they ever come back as force ghosts to advise jesus? And what about the gold, frankenstein and myrrh? How come those never comeback up? Bad writing.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

This is beside the point of the amusing error with the red line that SMG found:

The red line 'mistake' is actually easy to explain and maybe even adds a little I dunno characterisation or whatever. Since Coruscant had been blown up and their finances hugely depleted they had simply asked the nav computer (an eternally trapped sentient being) to recalculate the route avoiding toll routes.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

piratepilates posted:

I mean, they are the same desert really. if it wasn't for the red sea, we'd be calling them both the Sahara

And they're certainly the same planet.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Er... salt?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Raccooon posted:

a black dude smash a white woman

You've used this phrase a couple of times i think. Smash isn't a very nice word is it?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

^^^ Which is presumably why they changed Tatooine to Jakku when the locals started calling it that.

jivjov posted:

Oddly enough, Coruscant Prime

Ha! What garbage. If I was setting a course in star wars, fiddling with the controls whilst eating my Kit-Kuat, I'd probably end up incinerating myself into a star.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

jivjov posted:

Teletubbies perhaps?

Its pretty obvious they lived on Naboo...

Canonical source:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Raccooon posted:

In the PT, do they ever really explain how the Jedi temple is funded? Do they get money from the Republic for being ambassadors or something? The Jedi have no worshippers so where is that dough coming from?

They're ancient so, a bit like the catholic church irl, they've got centuries of invested wealth and property. They're the richest land lords and capitalists in the galaxy.

Like Yoda himself is how ever many hundreds of years old. He's loaded. The reason there's nobody else on Dagobah? Yoda owned it, it was his retirement planet. Whereas Luke has bugger all by his retirement and is in an assisted living nursing home.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 4, 2018

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

Yoda can't have been a very good investor if after like a thousand years he retires to a planet-sized swamp in Florida.

Impossible to see, the future is.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

sponges posted:

I am not surprised cnut strictly watches children’s movies, but it’s a disappointing thing to read on a film forum.

In the star wars thread?

You seem to have misunderstood their, quite clear, explanation. If they only watched children's movies how are they able to compare and contrast the qualities of such film making with more adult fare?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

^^^ Sure it does, he recognises its a middle of nowhere place. The fact he doesn't expound on the fact and have a nice conversation reminiscing with Rey about it, is both because his time there was horrible (everyone died) and he's being a generally unhelpful miserable git to her anyway.

As someone else already said, its doing these movies a favour to consider these planets the same places with a name change, it makes the story more interesting and joined up. If you're picking the worse version of these movies just because some made up executives somewhere decided that they'll sell more tat that way, thats just sad.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 4, 2018

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The question TFA raises about snoke was: 'Is he big?'
TLJ's answer was 'nah'

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

porfiria posted:

It's going to be at least a little funny if Coruscant or Tattooine show up in the next movie.

I fully expect this to happen, but why do you want these movies to get even worse?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

jivjov posted:

Why do you assume the mere presence of Tatooine or Coruscant would make the movie worse?

I think you know why!

Because their explicit appearance in such a way as to muddle the clear story we have from the existing movies, where coruscant was destroyed and tatooine was renamed jakku, would place us firmly in the hands of the story group, for whom story is very much secondary to marketing. These are not the people who I want to see making movie making decisions.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

There's no yetis in the desert.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

jivjov posted:

"But but they could have just used Tatooine, all barren wasteland planets have to be Tatooine and any non Tatooine barren wasteland planets are secretly just Tatooine after a name change" -people in this thread

This is dishonest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

We've been there and there are shots in the movie that are not canon. Like thingymebob's scar on his face. And... I can't recall... blue lasers maybe? It was nobody's finest moment.