Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

it kinda seems like they're moving toward strategic ambiguity where the prc isn't actually certain if the US will defend Taiwan or not lol

Strategic ambiguity regarding Taiwan has been the intention of the US for a long time, and the reason a lot of people are freaking out about Biden's remarks is because he just casually threw it out the window in a senior moment because a child in the audience smiled at him or something

But, in fairness, PRC "America watchers" actually follow our media and therefore understand that you really can't take something an American president says out loud as having an impact on foreign policy, so at the end of the day it's probably a wash

(unlike American "china watchers" who half the time study Cantonese or something stupid like wade Giles romanization, if they study Chinese at all, and therefore really don't follow Chinese media or government statements at all)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Kill All Cops posted:

who are these strawmen cantonese speaking americans you are referring to, lol

Oh they don't speak it, I mean they learn to say mgoi in ctown and think that qualifies them for "china watching"

I should have been meaner to them, sorry lol

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

indigi posted:

I had a dream that I won a trip to Taiwan and while I was visiting the PLA invaded. they were all mounted on reindeer and capturing people in Santa sacks until they promised not to rebel anymore. when they got to me they made me go wait in the hotel til they were done. what does this mean

It means you're getting your own nyt column. America needs more insights like this if it's to stand a chance against China

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

In fairness, they changed their tune a few years later lol

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

fart simpson posted:

yep. this is a rice field in hubei that i took a picture of in 2020. no water to be seen, only a few weeks away from harvest

no water in sight. just rice growing in the dirt.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

help us, shanghai party secretary li qiang, my people yearn for freedom

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Best Friends posted:

I used to make fun of the American army uniforms for how grey and blue they were, like nothing in nature. why did China, a smarter country, make their uniforms even bluer. and also bright white accenting the blue? all time bad combat uniforms imo. what’s going on.

no more wars until we can figure out what exactly is going on with the uniforms

Eminent DNS has issued a correction as of 05:58 on Jun 12, 2022

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Remember the woman in like Vietnam who screwed up their whole situation by going to like a record amount of bars in 24 hours in the halcyon days of 2020

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Faygo Federation

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

I was in an Uber in San Francisco a week or two ago and the driver asked me to sign a petition "to eliminate the demon Chinese communist party". I said "I'm good thank you"

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

the bitcoin of weed posted:

just show them this tweet, which incredibly is still up

https://twitter.com/NEDemocracy/status/1337063301113581568?s=20&t=qrmvzp8UUrRje3B2MJ9OTA

then explain what the NED is and has done historically

2004 -- right after Bush got China on board (or at least to acquiesce) with the war on terror by playing up uyghur nationalism/fundamentalism and saying the US and China we're in this fight together, etc

I remember recognizing that poo poo for what it was even back in highschool (though I was definitely just a dumb lib then)

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

I wonder if they have quotas for conflicts resoluted

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

It says right in the name that it's optional though

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

I love when they put those aftermarket vaporwave RGB lights on the reactors, it makes them seem even more futuristic

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Actually I got seeds I didn't order around that time. It was pretty weird, but I assume it was from some website selling personal data and it getting weirdly mixed up with some company's ordering system or something... Just bizarre cascading errors rather than some nefarious scheme lol

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

I smoked the last of that poo poo last year

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

sounds like you should get your memory banks optimized :/

what do you think smoking the plants that grew from those seeds did

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Well, now that this had all been figured out to be just a nothing burger, it's just a matter of time before the western press issues their retractions and updates to set the record straight

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

It's gonna turn out here was there for a couple days for a conference when he just suddenly pops up back in mainland China and goes about his business, but it's not like any newspapers will mention it lol

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

If only the CPC never taken power, these children's parents or grandparents would have starved to death well before having these little brats...

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

genocidal if ya do, genocidal if ya don't

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Antonymous posted:

the plot of taiwan's greatest film partly involves the dad trying to rip off japanese videogames

What film is that?

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

amused by this comment

Happy Maomas to you and yours

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

I found this from the thread (still don't understand how to read a twitter thread)
https://twitter.com/TUmarov/status/1587052974219710466?s=20

WTF, why is EU sanctioning Russia on breast pumps. Do Russians use fancy European breast pumps to make guided missiles?

I hate when people write it like that -- it should be 2022H1 so it can be sorted neatly

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Chamale posted:

I mean, the Wikipedia article says "Xu was sued in 2019 for calling tai chi Grandmaster Chen Xiaowang a fraud." Chen won some gold medals forty years ago, and now runs training classes where he claims to have magical powers.

From what I can tell, Xu Xiaodong uses military Kung Fu to beat up mall dojo types. His other politics aside, taunting martial art frauds until they fight him seems like a noble endeavor.

Goddammit do not let the chuds hear that this was due to a kung fu slander case, we'll never hear the end of it

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

exmarx posted:

happy new year to president xi and every body in the asia / oceania thread 😎👍

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

sonatinas posted:

from a global trade perspective, I used to work in the intl soybean business and when those measures were raised in India it made US soybean more attractive for their Asian neighbors, even with ocean transportation rates. our volumes to Korea skyrocketed (we were already having solid business to Japan) and markets that we never considered started calling us. one notable was Myanmar. they never bought from the USA before so I had to educate them on how the export process works with quality since they were so used to Indian customs. when buying from India there is a ton of 3rd party testing and quality assurance since you’re buying from a ton of small farmers delivering their ag to a processor. maybe there was also an issue with just honest trade but I didn’t want to make assumptions. just a lot more red tape and documentation.

I’d get examples of the documents they wanted and informed them that just doesn’t exist here because of the different food regulations we have in the states or it would be very cost prohibitive to have people fumigate containers or 3rd party quality inspectors on top of our own that have to follow USDA.

they wanted like 100 containers a month and payments went to either Australia or Singapore. we got the business though.

Cspam posters actually working for Big Soy lol

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

"the era of trusting communist China is over,” McCarthy said Tuesday on the House floor."

Read that in a vacuum and guess the decade

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

This is one of the few times I'd like to be a Congress guy so I could make some fiery speech about the legacy of the opium wars, even though I know it wouldn't do anything

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

They just copied (typical) this from Elon musk in glass onion

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Actually I think it's Old Zealand ?

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

You gotta hand it to 'em

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

two-time fee posted:

mostly below sea level within our lifetimes, inshallah.

Hasn't it been below sea level for like thousands of years?

Like, that's what "nether" means right

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Prince Namor of the House of Orange

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

At first I read "being" as "Beijing" and assumed it was some joke like how people in NYC hate on jersey

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Slavvy posted:

What is wrong with dutch people genuinely?

Like idk who the biggest assholes are or whatever but every single dutch person I have ever interacted with has been batshit crazy and irrational, like they were raised in a bizarre mirror universe

The dutch invented the joint stock corporation, and it all went downhill from there

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Absolutely dastardly

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

It depends on what your definition of "is" is

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

If you're mocking my post, we're in a bit of a whoosh situation. But I'm angry regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

I wouldn't call the prose outright bad, it just had a very distinctive and extremely goofy quality that felt like it was communicating a lot about the author's personality and worldview much more directly than is typical in fiction. Little bit of a bummer that the only really interesting characters are dead by the end of the first book but I thought it was all worth the read anyway.

I found Andy Weir's The Martian to be like that -- did anyone who read them both feel that way?