Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I'm like 10 pages back but...

30.5 Days posted:

gently caress you we discovered the metal we get to decide how it's spelled

You dunderhead, you boob!
"The discovery of aluminium was announced in 1825 by Danish physicist Hans Christian Ørsted. The first industrial production of aluminium was initiated by French chemist Henri Étienne Sainte-Claire Deville in 1856."
The same guy, a Brit, coined both aluminium and aluminum. Typical peanut brained American exceptionalism. (:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
My favorite thing about the raids article is the sheer lack of practicality. Like maybe you get this battalion ashore, but you are sure as poo poo not getting it off in the same commercial boat.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Rutibex posted:

Iran already has nukes they are just being coy about it

Unless they're waiting to get a bunch before announcing it, I doubt it. The whole point is deterrence. I hope though.

Weka
May 5, 2019

THS2 posted:

china’s collapse is imminent

They're a bizarre people, collapsing upwards.

Weka
May 5, 2019

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Anarchists hate him even more now

Weka
May 5, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

[Asia/Oceania] australia is no continent theyve played you for fools

While Australia is clearly the end of the south east Asian archipelago, I support this because I can talk about New Zealand and Pacific Island stuff here.

Weka
May 5, 2019

4% of the population is pretty high. Meanwhile

America posted:

Crowley County, Colorado: 48%
Forest County, Pennsylvania: 38%
Issaquena County, Mississippi: 37%
West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana: 35%
Wheeler County, Georgia: 32%
Hudspeth County, Texas: 31%
Concho County, Texas: 31%
Garza County, Texas: 30%
Union County, Florida: 29%
Lake County, Tennessee: 29%

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-10-04/the-10-us-counties-with-the-highest-incarceration-rates

Weka
May 5, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

Frankly I didn't know that part of the history. However if I look at the popular show and movie that set in the Korean war, only thing I can think of is the M.A.S.H show.

FYI M.A.S.H is set in Korea but about Vietnam and is pretty anti the war.

crepeface posted:

lmao, contradicting themselves twice in two sentences

Diplomats are not independent investigators. Neither is Bachmann, she specifically said in her statement that she isn't.

https://www.ohchr.org/en/statements/2022/05/statement-un-high-commissioner-human-rights-michelle-bachelet-after-official

Weka
May 5, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

bu-bu-but byzantine placenta cakes!!1! :qq:

Sounds like you're supporting baklava being Turkish?

stephenthinkpad posted:

I feel that the news of HK flagged ship (China) sending drones to US ship in California should be a bigger news than just reported by a military blog.

Also why is that drone flying so long on the photo. It's lower than the high point of the ship (whatever your naval lingo call it).

This is the news breaking. They did some actual journalism.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

the placenta cakes ‘baklava is Greek’ people point to is much more similar to babka. Central Asian cuisine, on the other hand, has a long history of pastries with a crust of dough like “locust wings”

Doner however was copied from the Greeks and you can enrage Turks by telling them that.

I just meant the ottomans were the inheritors of byzantium.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

I've heard Chinese suggest that the only reason Italy has noodles is because Marco Polo stole the idea from China.

Pretty sure Marco Polo is fictional.

Tankbuster posted:

I talked about it with FF in the WW3 thread but the raj's military went through several changes prior to - during, and after - the 1857 rebellion.

Just a small point, the Raj, aka direct or crown rule, didn't begin until 1858.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Every year, usually in the summer, some Taiwanese political talk show guests will talk about bombing the Three Gorge Dam in the event of military unification, "to flood half of China." Never mind Taiwan only has missiles on the F16 that has the range to reach 3GD, which has a tiny playload.

Hopefully the new dam will take the trash talk target from 3GD. I wonder how far is it from Taiwan?

They've got over 50 of these cruise missiles which they claim can hit Beijing. 3 Gorges is just within the minimum range given by wikipedia, 1200-2000 km.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4569567?fbclid=IwAR2KNYJeSj1wWVXoUkOk1dTIPn2oDX6C8qUtzqPx79GzM1-3gL7qSveliso

Weka
May 5, 2019

ikanreed posted:

The last (war crime) bombing of a dam was done by the US Air Force in Korea in 1952. The sustained bombing campaign involving 250 bombers only succeeded in destroying the electrical infrastructure and superficial damage to the dam itself.

Try 2017, in Syria.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/20/us/airstrike-us-isis-dam.html

Weka
May 5, 2019

fart simpson posted:

people just dont know that stuff. i had a chinese friend tell me i was lucky because in america university education is free, unlike china where her family had to pay to send her

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought most places in America had two years of free college?

Weka
May 5, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

Which bad Hollywood shows did you watch that gave you the idea American college is free?

This line from wiki actually.
"Community college tuition is free in 47 states to qualified individuals"
But I guess I failed to take into account how extreme that qualifier is in America.

Weka
May 5, 2019

SuperKlaus posted:

You killed em do you really gotta scalp em too Chen?

The works of Chen Weihua deserve preservation for posterity.

Weka
May 5, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/CleveArguelles/status/1542344922149203970

I would be extremely interested in finding out which countries this person thinks isn't a democracy despite having experienced peaceful transfers of power

They're saying 60 countries have never had a peaceful transition of power.

I for some reason thought you had made this joke.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I Love Annie May posted:

There are people who seriously think Japan invented anime to make people forget about their war crimes, believing all art has secondary ends which are always in support of the current status quo is mainstream opinion today.

Doing a worse crime is certainly one way to make people forget about your previous crimes.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Lol didn't zenz count Nazi soldiers who died invading Russia as "victims of communism"?

It's from the black book of communism, which I don't think has anything to do with Zenz or the victims of communism memorial foundation, although the later has I believe drawn on it.
Iirc it never outright states it's counting nazis but there is a discrepancy in the figures used which coincidentally is about the number of dead nazi soldiers.

Weka
May 5, 2019

How many tanks did Pol Pot even have?

stephenthinkpad posted:

Who will go first?

Russian pizza hut is his phylactery so at exactly the same time.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You can't just invent "Han Supremacy" like it's always been a thing.

Edit: And White Supremacy isn't just codified xenophobia, it is a centuries old colonial construct upon which the totality of Western civilization has been formed. China didn't go through that period of colonialism.

Wasn't China in an expansionist imperial phase during the height of western colonialism? Like that's when Tibet and Xinjiang became part of the country?

sexpig by night posted:

Describe a traditional Uyghur mosque

Aladdin.

Weka
May 5, 2019

indigi posted:

like honestly the idea that Arabic script isn’t important to Muslims globally is so weird to me. it’s like saying the Jewish diaspora places no value on the Hebrew alphabet

not all American/African/East Asian/etc Jews can read Hebrew just like not all Uyghurs can read Arabic. it’s still part of their traditional culture in imagery and architecture cause it’s important to their religious history

is it all of Uyghur Muslim culture, obviously not. is it part of it? yeah lol.

is it cultural genocide or ethnic cleansing or whatever for China to remove it? definitely no. but does that mean China removing it is a means of restoring traditional Uyghur imagery? also no

Uygur language is mostly written in Arabic isn't it?

mawarannahr posted:

I think there’s a difference between “you’re basically not allowed to exist at all and we will kill or deport every one of you who exists, even if you hide it” and “you are allowed to exist in the parameters in the identity we built for you, should you accept it, and don’t ever think of doing something we think threatens the state and the systems of production, otherwise we will apply a cruder, less discriminating form of violence to you and yours.” there are basically no Armenians (or Greeks) to speak of in Turkey. there are a lot of Kurdish people and the people who wanted to kill all of them have not been able to (if this was their goal they failed miserably).

I can’t watch the video atm, if you have a text source that would be good because I haven’t watched this yet. sorry if this post is a mess it’s early.

I've read previously of a lot of Armenians converting to Islam and denying their Armenianness and continuing to live in Anatolia. I found this wiki article saying something similar, one guy claims one region of 35,000 people is 75% people like this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Armenians

Weka
May 5, 2019

Antonymous posted:

arabic script is not arabic language. We don't speak latin even if we use the script and a few words from the language

Yeah but what is the chinese government allegedly deleting from mosques?

indigi posted:

is Turkey the only other nation besides the US that has carried out multiple discrete genocides in the last century? (I know you could quibble about the US’ direct involvement but providing military training, endorsement through inaction, or gunking up the works at the UN counts imo, not to mention the diet genocide we’re still doing to Native Americans)

There's this group that was pretty political in ww2 called the nazis.
Also for instance the OUN.
Almost certainly the British but I'm drawing a blank aside from Bengal.

Weka
May 5, 2019

indigi posted:

oh yeah UK definitely. arguably two just in British India between the famine and the partition. the Nazis did a bunch at once so I count that as one ☝️

So for Turkey you've got the 3-4 during and after WW1 plus the stuff this century with Kurds. Anything else I'm missing?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

There has been a lot of ethnic cleansing that has happened in the last century. If you want a recent example you can look at what ISIS was doing. Lol

It's a very different thing though. Maybe even sometimes ethnic cleansing is good, ie Germans after ww2. But yeah I don't think there's a century without a fair bit of it.

Weka
May 5, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

If you use your car for commute, a plug-in hybrid will mostly use its onboard battery not the gas.

The term "zero emission vehicle" badge doesn't mean a thing. Your large Lithium battery in the EV caused a lot of pollution to produce. If your countries doesn't rely on nuclear power, the electricity used in the EV also causes a lot of pollution in the power plant.

Seeing as this is the Oceania thread, renewables are also a viable option, we're over 80% in NZ.

Weka
May 5, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

Woke up at 4am and found out Abe is shot.

I saw a photo showing the distance between the shooter and Abe there was like close to 10 meter between them. The shotgun has to be totally homemade to not spread out. Anyway the timing is very weird to kill him now.

I also struggle to think of anything positive Abe did.

The thing that generally stops shotgun pellets from spreading is called choke. It is a narrowing of the barrel towards the end and comes in various degrees. A home made shotgun probably has no choke and thus will spread out the most. Unless it's firing solid slugs.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

3/3 from 10 years ago goddamn

Correctly predicting the UK being run by dunces is hardly noteworthy.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Maybe Japan wants to swoop in when NATO balkanizes Russia and grab Vladivostok.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Antonymous posted:

there was some online super hero game that had those exact 3 genders

"at least three" - joe biden

So when he said "listen up fat" it was the equivalent of "listen up man"?

stephenthinkpad posted:

I have a theory that from longer view, the west simply can't do manufacturing as well as East Asians.

Semiconductor fabbing ultimately is more of a manufacturing job than a software job. So once the production hub moved to Asia, it will stay there and stick no matter how much US throw money at it. And the US is not throwing that much money at it anyway.

I listen to a one hour interview of the TSMC founder (who led a very interesting life, he went to US during Chinese Civil war, and worked for TI) He basically said building more fabs in the US doesn't make economic sense and is not going to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgTLx93vyrU

gradenko_2000 posted:

fabs are sort of like in a catch-22 because A. you need a spot that's very geologically stable so that tremors don't spoil the extremely sensitive processes that you're doing, but B. they also need lots of water

and those two things don't exactly intersect in very many places

Taiwan isn't exactly geologically stable.

Weka has issued a correction as of 00:55 on Jul 22, 2022

Weka
May 5, 2019

Imagine being an immigrant to America and even noticing cinnamon consumption levels amongst an ocean of shocking and appalling things.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Antonymous is correct in that cinnamon is a western flavour (I guess, don't ask me about all the Euro meme countries), which of course doesn't preclude it from being an Indian flavour, but crikey dick those d&d rule looking posts.

Weka
May 5, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

China eats a lot of garlic

what’s the deal with Bulgaria

Conservatism apparently.

https://merosconsulting.com/bulgarias-spice-trade-slowly-opening-new-flavors/

Weka
May 5, 2019

BrainDance posted:

potatoes rank the highest on the satiety index and today on facebook I saw a video for "devilled potatoes" which was just devilled eggs but with potatoes instead of eggs and I'm gonna make it.

I am pro potato

ok, your move.

edit:
look at that poo poo it's not even close

Please post how it went.
Also TIL that ketamine is more filling than white bread.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol can british subs even reach australia without sinking

I think they're designed to sink.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Cerebral Bore posted:

the chinese are too smart to shoot down pelosi. why would you take down someone who single-handedly renders the government of your main geopolitical rival completely ineffectual?

doesn't the uk have like literally four nuclear subs? even if they sent every single one of the fuckers i doubt that you could call it a fleet even being as charitable as possible

5 attack subs and four ballistic missile subs.

Mantis42 posted:

God between that tweet thread about how much national GDPs reflect the actual productive economy and their sad little navy it's really amazing how completely hollowed out the modern UK is. There's no "there" there, they don't make anything, they don't have that many resources, their military sucks, and so on. They're really just coasting on the surplus they stole from their colonies and the fact that they speak English. They're the failsons of history.

This is kinda a myth as far as I can tell. They have the 9th highest manufacturing output in the world with 1.8% of world total, with a large transport sector. Measured in real pounds manufacturing output doubled from 1958 to 2007. Productivity in the UK's steel industry increased by a factor of 8 between 1978 and 2006.
Obviously service stuff is increasing at a much higher rate and they're hardly a great power, but a hollowed out most powerful nation on the globe is still doing just fine as far as a smallish island goes.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's hard enough to get people to understand that the "City of London" is an incorporated entity distinct from the city of London, before explaining how the UK eats off of the City of London being the world's money launder.

I looked up their election process recently and if you could somehow avoid being killed it looked pretty easy to just take over.

Weka
May 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/Dragondescendan/status/1553772815555313664

stephenthinkpad posted:

I check the Berlin airlift, the air corridor was in range of 110 miles. Now in case of Taiwan, the closest commercial airport to Taiwan is probably somewhere in Philippines, about 1000 miles.

I don't know what's the closest military airport. Japan gobbled up a lot of tiny islands in east China sea.

400 miles Taipei to Okinawa; 700 to Manilla; 800 to Busan in South Korea.

Tankbuster posted:

lol wtf? When did we align with the US lol.

For about three seconds while the ink was drying on Quad documents.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

It's literally just this racist comic again, but with more coherent chopsticks physics:

MORE coherent?! dang I'm learning all the forbidden chopstick techniques.

Weka
May 5, 2019

thechosenone posted:

Are there any examples in history where a kingdom or whatnot got whomped and it's inhabitants laughed at their king/whatever aristocrat for being an idiot? Besides records of people being executed or otherwise punished for such that is.

NATO lost a war to a Afghan students organization and I literally laughed for a month straight. Happiest I've ever been.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lmao at the map

It's one thing for OSINT nerds and military reporters to breathlessly announce Chinese war planes in the ADIZ which extends over mainland China but I feel the ministry of defence doing it is too much.

Weka
May 5, 2019

What if China waited until Pelosi was on the ground then destroyed the airport? Taiwan would be begging for help within the week.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

the wiki article on the serfdom in tibet "controversy" is funny, theres an anonymous American missionary talking about the communist oppression, just your usual Tom Dooley level CIA lies, and then some anglo diplomat is quoted next saying none of that is happening in my personal observation, pip pip

I like how the first part of the main body of the article just says that Tibet is not real and thus there could not have been serfdom there.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Attorney at Funk posted:

the same reason anyone posts on sa

they're murderously depressed

I'm very happy actually and this thread always makes me happier.

You don't want to see the bottom half of that pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

In Chinese, hongqi means "red flag."