Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world
I am but one french fry, but I’d like to thank this thread for providing one of the vanishingly few pro-Palestinian English language voices I have seen. Especially the morale value of seemingly powerless US protests. I really mean it, it’s inspiring.

I’m sorry I ever thought C-SPAM was just a passel of Putin ballwashers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Not burger posting but godawful chili posting - Cincinnati match and rally for Palestine went great. March got bigger as it went on, which isn’t usual for Cincy. A+ for speakers and organizers, of which I am not one, so thanks, in the unlikely event you’re reading. Death to Indiana

Sorry, wrong “I,” reflex

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Caught up. Thanks for being here, Apparently The Only Good English-Language Gaza War Thread Anywhere

Thinking a lot about Arthur Hiller’s “The Man in the Glass Booth” from the 70’s. Not to spoil, but modern Israel saw the main character and went “That’s our boy”. (EDIT: him and Arlo Guthrie’s draft board psychologist from “Alice’s Restaurant”)

Thinking also about Ionesco’s “Rhinoceros.” I realized at the time the IDF was creating fig leaves for dipshits, but I was on a forum with people I had known online for twenty years who were swallowing the Al Ahli hospital being hit by Palestinian Islamic Jihad uncritically. I thought if I could get them to acknowledge the obvious lies, they would have a breakthrough moment.

You can guess how that went. Hint: a bunch of avatars changed to concentration camp yellow stars for posts about when hospitals qualify as legitimate targets and how I was posting Hamas propaganda. I said something about using Anne Frank’s skirt to wipe the blood off their chins that stayed up about two minutes, and haven’t been back. Maybe they changed into rhinos, maybe I never really knew them.

I’m holding out hope for the next couple of generations, at least here in America. They don’t seem to have their moral compasses hosed yet.

Jai Guru Dave has issued a correction as of 19:22 on Nov 13, 2023

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

Nairbo posted:

I mean this in all sincerity, your posting is giving me some hope. That, and the undying resolve of the Palestinian people, are keeping this from a feeling of pure sorrow and despair.
An empty-quote to Al-Saqr in spirit.

If anything, we've been under-selling Israel's defeat here. Netanyahu isn't Hitler, he's Publius Quinctilius Varus. At least Hitler could win against a starving ghetto.

And there is no way Israel is prepared to handle that the IDF has flaws that will take a generation to fix, and until then they would lose a shooting war to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. That society, thank God, is screwed, blued and kangarooed. We just don't know what its successor will look like. The West Bank occupation is done, we just don't know exactly how and when.

Now we know why James Glynn caught the first plane back home.

Jai Guru Dave has issued a correction as of 04:17 on Nov 16, 2023

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

err posted:

How many Americans are in this picture

About 330 million

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

Centrist Committee posted:

the correct term is magazine 🙄

I always mess that up

So yeah, it looks like his balls have been magazined

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

VomitOnLino posted:

Whats your take on the slave revolts which ended up killing many innocents as well, and John Brown?
Cornpone posting:

Brown and his family didn’t kill anyone who didn’t deserve it until Shepherd Hayward at Harper’s Ferry, and that guy was just unlucky.

Take W.E.B. DuBois’ word for it, those border ruffian Pottawatomie fuckers had it coming.

Jai Guru Dave has issued a correction as of 02:57 on Nov 21, 2023

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

X about the IDF’s answer to Lyudmila Pavlichenko

I am become Death, Picker of Nits, but isn’t attacking a military base one of the no-questions-asked definitions of Not a Terrorist?

I mean, if only the wee bairns had some means of defending themselves

Too late to fix her, I guess

Jai Guru Dave has issued a correction as of 14:05 on Nov 21, 2023

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

RedSky posted:

Forgetting about the occupied 6 my son.

Great Britain managed in the space of less than thirty years to engineer three stupid, heartless and destructive partitions with repercussions felt today and for decades to come

….just involving countries starting with “I.”

Jai Guru Dave has issued a correction as of 01:02 on Nov 23, 2023

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

Mumbling posted:

Thank you all for the advice. My ignorance on this and difficulty arguing is really embarrassing

Been there/kinda still am in some ways.

Edit: what was your family member’s reaction to Tree of Life? That’s the kind of anti-Semitism that needs fighting, and not to belabor the obvious but no one suggested the way to do so was to bomb hospitals.

Jai Guru Dave has issued a correction as of 02:41 on Nov 23, 2023

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

Brucolac posted:

It's a shame that they chose such a confusing etymology but the Germans have hosed this stuff up for basically forever

“What shall we call the language family of most of Europe and India?”

“Aryan?”

“Great! Now, the Middle East. We have a language with millions of living speakers, none of whom we will ever meet or care about, and a basically dead literary language like Latin. What do we call this branch?”

“Semitic? After Noah’s son?”

“You are on a ROLL today, Herr Professor Schicklgruber!”

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

Egg Moron posted:

Even though there is a paper trail a mile long indicating that it is official Israeli policy to lie their rear end off about everything, I believe these women

What’s amazing is when even the propaganda makes them look incompetent. The aftermath of the kibbutz “rescue” looked like it was led by Bill Murray, John Candy and Harold Ramis to begin with. Which means that Hamas dotted every single IDF within a five mile radius that actually had been trained to run a tank. Further, either these Valkyrior were ordered into the tanks to mount a rescue, or came up with the plan themselves. Rather than wait for literally anyone, active or reserve, who actually knew how to drive one of those things.

This is the story they want out there? This is one-half court-martial, one half “Kick Me” sign.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
“I mean, that’s really what Hanukkah is all about.”

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
“Were there no Liberia, no African-American would feel safe”

“Were there no Mexico, no Latino would feel safe”

I’m starting to think this concept isn’t exactly workable.

“Were there no Missouri, no idiot would feel safe”

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

I know this is 6 pages ago (drat this thread moves fast) but I just wanted to point out that in the past 10 years there's been a Yiddish resurgence, thanks in part to a fantastic musician named Daniel Kahn who's taken old 100+ year old Yiddish songs (quite a number of them antizionist) and modernized them:
https://youtu.be/tQMRwk8WDd4?si=UwVDE-XdZpixXINJ

There's even a Yidstock

Thank you for posting this - I couldn’t remember whether it had been posted earlier, or not at all.

As for Joe Biden being upset with Netanyahu - the United States has bankrolled the Israeli armed forces for decades, with Biden as a significant cheerleader and facilitator. Up until, say, October 6, most people believed all that money created one of the better fighting forces around.

Come to find out that the IDF is - factoring in return on investment and the complete inequality of the resources of the opponent - pound for pound, dollar for dollar, and man for man the worst military in the history of the world.

Both the US and Israel would have done better if they had used that money as defense - as in, literally stacking dollar bills in columns to form a ten-foot thick barrier at the border.

Wouldn’t you be upset?

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

Sancho Banana posted:

Expanding on this:

"Reservists were demanded to enter Gaza without training - half a battalion left"
Were professional IDF ground personnel simply wiped out on October 7?

Because I can’t think of another scenario where reservists were that quickly “trained” before being ordered to the front, only to loving mutiny. And then get away with it.

Was it explained to them that Hamas raped and burned babies? You’d think that would have motivated at least more than half of them

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
What is going on in the West Bank, by the way? I would have assumed a general uprising by now. is it simply not interrupting Israel when it’s making a mistake? Or is PA leadership being super-cynical?

When answering, keep in mind I am an American, and ignorant of all matters, arts and sciences that do not involve cheese melting on top of meat.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

Al! posted:

it's pitiful and he has no business being at the front at all, none of them do

A three billion dollar army, and no one can be bothered to train someone how to secure a room.

Oh, my mistake. It’s a 23 billion dollar army.

EDIT - blanket guy is 27?! Amy Winehouse was a better soldier at 27. He made Radar O’Reilly look like Genghis Khan. Gene Wilder in “Producers” looked tougher with a blanket. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar the worst military force in the history of the world

Jai Guru Dave has issued a correction as of 03:36 on Jan 24, 2024

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

carcinofuck posted:

well dont leave me hanging what's the other 1/3rd of that 2/3rd mate?

It spells disaster for you at Sacrifice.

EDIT:

Rubellavator posted:

I like the part towards the end where the angry anchor says that people won't believe [lies about sexual assault] because of [outrageous lies about everything else]

Oh, my God, I thought he was just going to turn and stare into the camera over an Alexi Sayle-style “HEAVY IRONY” graphic.

I wonder why they broadcast it? Unless they’re just laughing at being able to say “You can’t trust us” and then keep running the con

Jai Guru Dave has issued a correction as of 13:41 on Jan 25, 2024

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

Jizzny Princess posted:

There's no gore, but it's so unsettling and sinister I didn't think I should post it.
Nor should Channel 14, broadcasting POWs being a war crime and all

Hell, from the description it starts with a war crime that hasn’t even gotten to the real war crimes yet

They ALL end up confessing, do they? Well, THAT’s a statistical unlikelihood outside of external factors

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

Clip-On Fedora posted:

They should all just loving leave

Nothing is more boring to read than another example of My Journey Into Forming My Opinions, so I apologize in advance.

Hamas taking civilian hostages was (and I guess continues to be) a war crime. I just don’t give a gently caress about it anymore.

Make Tel Aviv Jaffa Again would be ethnic cleansing. And obviously this would be a crime against humaWHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND MOTHERFUCKERS

Israel’s actions after October 7 have proven it to be an ongoing threat to the lives and security of everyone in the region. And it’s not being done by a dictator or king - the voting public approves of every atrocity and wants more.

Palestine, Lebanon, Jordan, Arabia, Iraq, Yemen, Somalia, Iran, Turkey - however far you want to draw the circle - should not have to tolerate a regime committed to a policy of ongoing and future war crimes. Zionist Israel is as intolerable as apartheid South Africa, white supremacist Rhodesia, or Nazi Germany. It has to go.

My preferred solutions are a secular Palestine with freedom of religion enshrined in the constitution, or a demilitarized Jewish state with the 1947 borders under the supervision of the United Nations. Neither of these would involve the ethnic cleansing of majority-Jewish areas. But it’s, um, optimistic to think this would be done without resistance in favor of the current regime. Then what?

I also don’t think these are entirely academic possibilities anymore, since Israel now seems entirely bent on defeat in Gaza, Lebanon and the West Bank. What will protect Israel? The skill, courage and intelligence of the IDF?

Which brings us to Tel Aviv.

Gerard Weinberg’s World War II history “World At Arms” addressed the topic of the bombing of German and Japanese cities, and concluded that since the aerial destruction of civilian cities was an Axis innovation, well, tough poo poo. The same line of thought was applied to the Polish-German border after the war. Since the Germans were committed to the idea of moving people to fit borders, rather than the other way around? Karma, dude.

I know this makes me sound hideous, but because of what Israel has done to Gaza, because that is so clearly what they have planned for Lebanon and the West Bank, and because of the sheer number of opportunities Israeli citizens will have to choose an off-ramp between today and when Palestine plays the Uno-Reverse card and presents the butcher’s bill? Tel Aviv’s fate will be the biggest Who Gives a poo poo since Sherman beautified Atlanta.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jai Guru Dave has issued a correction as of 15:10 on Mar 10, 2024

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

madmatt112 posted:

I’m so confused about the Russia Ukraine thing. What am I missing about them that would make me say “oh, Ukraine has been doing something that actually does justify Russia’s action over the last couple years”?? I feel like I’ve got a huge blind spot here somehow.
I agree with you. And I did ask similar questions in the Ukraine thread, and got sincere and well-reasoned responses that I just did not happen to agree with. I thanked them and vamoosed.

If your starting point is that the America-led capitalist West is the single greatest threat to the planet’s future, and that’s not an insane position to take, then the road to supporting Russia becomes a lot straighter.

Ukraine supporting Israel, it should go without saying, factors into this, and explains some of the strident responses you’ve gotten here. The whole “harden your heart” business is both understandable and funny - I’d be pro-Russia if I were Palestinian, too.

EDIT - crap, I’m a time traveler from the distant past. Are people still the same, with their funny ways?

Jai Guru Dave has issued a correction as of 23:27 on Apr 16, 2024

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

The Mayor of Sderot is indirectly telling Israel that they will never return to their stupid little town

======

‎Sderot Mayor: The return of residents is linked to the invasion of Rafah‎
‎The mayor of Sderot told Israel Today that anyone who thinks that the town's residents will return without the Israeli army entering Rafah and occupying its land is very mistaken.‎

Their town’s residents escaped with their lives, so they are way ahead as far as just desserts. Hope the show in 2014 was worth it, fuckers. Wander the earth, despised and hated

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

How! posted:

this one even has mein kampf, a gun, and a hoe

Sounds like Adolf and Eva’s honeymoon

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

Weka posted:

Perhaps in general but less so at universities and colleges, whose students after all were exempt from the draft.
Until graduation. My dad kept transferring in order to avoid fleeing to Canada. Depending on how low or high your number was, there was a good chance that Vietnam was a real, looming problem for you.

I’ve got all the time in the world for the kids protesting today, it’s clearly about right and wrong for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

drat even worse than the leaders who caused the mass suicide at Masada?!

thats crazy
Much, much worse, no? The besieged at Masada had already lost their war and were outnumbered. Netanyahu is fighting an enemy who he had totally surrounded, and whose access to food, water and materiel he himself controlled, and still does to a large extent. Meanwhile he had a blank check from the United States, and the unrestricted support of his population to do anything he wanted.

This will end up being taught at West Point, or should be. “You’re Israel in 2023. Draw up a losing plan.”