Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Ah yes, extreme gentlemen of the internet, please deign to elaborate in precise detail what makes Denis Villanueve's directorial body of work dull and routine in tyool twothousandnineteen, known otherwise as the 10 year anniversary of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I dunno, at least MCU films have recognizable characters with personalities and growth and change. I legit can't remember any characters from blade runner 2049. Did Arrival have any characters with personalities? Can you think of words to describe them more than their profession? I honestly don't remember a single person from his films.

Like, let's try and summarize the cast of Arrival, which I've seen three times:

• uhh linguist girl she has some family crap or some poo poo
  • other science guy
  • some military people that are forgettable
  • the two aliens
  • chinese? ambassador guy right at the end or something

Whereas like just from the first Iron Man I can think of at least three words to describe Stark: a gambling, egotistical, abrasive rich white guy
Or Potts: a rich white girl with a poo poo work/life balance who cares for her boss too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I watched this dumb movie three times and I still don't understand it! What a crappy director.

You know what has amazing, intricate, and subtle characterization? COMIC BOOK MOVIES

I understood Arrival and 2049 fine, it just didn't have any characters, you could have just had the one guy or taken out all of the other characters except for the linguist and you would have the same movie. Whereas the MCU has gone to lengths to give each character a real personality and history, to flesh them out. The events that happen don't matter except for how it develops and changes the characters. They're not good movies but they do that one thing very well and it shows and makes them memorable.

They're concept movies. You watch them because you want a good concept to sink your teeth into and explore rather than characters you want to explore. It will probably fit a fair adaptation of Dune because Dune is half concept book and half court intrigue anyway. Just don't expect much of the court intrigue aspects in whatever thing he makes.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 31, 2019

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Honky Dong Country posted:

I assumed this wouldn't work because of the stills evaporating the water and leaving behind anything else.

(Granted with actual distilling it's a little more complicated than that but we're talking sci-fi tech here so I just assume there's ways around having to throw away potentially contaminated portions)

They just have the reverend mother drink it and convert her piss to clean drinking water right?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

The Bloop posted:

Is there any fetish you can't find in Dune?

idk I didn't see anything about feet

Feet: The Only Fetish You Can't Find In Dune™️

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

kiimo posted:

Fremen feet probably look like burnt hangar steaks. They probably jerk off to videos of offworlder water fat harkonnen feet.

hmm this implies there is also a water fat penis

what does a not water fat penis look like (I don't want to know)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Thanks I was just about to type it out haha

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

D. Ebdrup posted:

I remember this seeing a bunch of years ago and desperately searching for it as if it was a real product. It isn't. :(

Half tumeric (for the circumin, which is supposedly pretty good for you except for the fact it's ridiculously bad at being bioavailable).
One Quarter Paprika (For the taste)
One Quarter Pepper (For the piperine which helps makes the circumin bioavailable so it actually works a bit)

Maybe stick some cayenne pepper or some cloves or fenugreek in there for shits and giggles yanno

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

magic cactus posted:

It is by piss alone I set my balls in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that balls acquire piss, the toilet acquires stains, the stains become a warning. It is by piss alone I set my balls in motion.

:vince:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

magic cactus posted:

Honestly, Dune would be way better as a Game of Thrones style prestige TV series imo. Having it be a couple of seasons worth would allow you to really get a feel for the world and the political intrigue. I'm not sure a two hour movie is a good format for such a narratively dense work. But from what I remember, the dude doing cinematography is the same guy from Blade Runner, so if nothing else it'll be pretty to look at.

We legit had 10 pages talking about this less than 100 pages back. smh

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

DandyLion posted:

So you're saying its like a melange of colors & lights?

You had me at "melange" :vince:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

DandyLion posted:

Needs more nipples.

Paul Atreides drinking blue sandworm milk

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Kanine posted:

after seeing bladerunner 2049 i have nothing but optimism for the new dune movie

Did you actually try to watch it as a film though or did you just use it as visual lsd

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Kanine posted:

wow i loving hate it now! thank you so much somethingawfuldotcom forums user DebonaireD!

I didn't know talking about something was supposed to magically make you have the opinions, wow. learn something new everyday

DebonaireD posted:

Really? Cause I never hear anyone talking about the characters, story, acting, etc. or anything besides the production and effects.

That's because there was barely a plot, the plot that did exist was pretty much all over the place, and could have taken up a paragraph. Nobody watched that film for the plot, and if anyone did, they most likely left the theatre about halfway through.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Brian Herbert looks disturbingly like Colm Meaney from the tiny avi

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's okay. Not bad for a first record you put on the web.

That's a remastered version. The originals were sliiightly different, rougher, and better imo.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

someone repost that article that someone wrote about why dune never became a star wars, how the nature of it makes it v hard to become like that

The first draft of Star Wars was literally set in the Dune universe but ok

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Fremensier

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
i have apparently 300 pages to read through so instead of doing that im just going to post one word instead. here goes

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
beefswelling

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Flakey posted:

Your post was made poo poo fashion. Who taught you how to do this?

Hush now, and don't be rude

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Tree Bucket posted:

Okay fine, have a quick and nasty one

Typo???

lmfao laughed so hard i blacked out, 10/10

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Jewmanji posted:

For all of the talk about 2UNC I feel like the best part is gonna be Alia. No idea how they’re gonna pull it off but I’m sure Denis thought of something absolutely unsettling.

are we not sure that the second film's picture title isn't going to be "DUNC" but "ANIDA"

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
we worship he who is reincarnated tenfold

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

the what now

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Soul Dentist posted:

Ratatozsk posted:

Though I hate each Harko-nen
From Vladimir to Beast Rab-en
Oh you’ll never make a worm god out of me

Oh my gosh I was wrong
It was the golden path all along
Oh you’ve finally made a worm god
[Yes we’ve finally made a worm god]
Yes you’ve finally made a worm god out of me

galagazombie posted:

*enter the baron Harkonnen*
I hate every Fremen that I see
From A-treides to Atreideez
You’ll never make a chair dog out of meeee
*Giant stone head from cover of Dune: Messiah appears in background*
Oh my god, I was wrong.
Maud’dib was Paul all along.
Yes you’ve finally made a Chair Dog
Yes we’ve finally made a chair dog
Yes you’ve finally made a chair dog out of meeeeeeeee!!!
I love you Dr. Yueh!

when dunc2 comes out ill revisit this with better fremen cutouts and using the nuke as the background

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 26, 2024

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

galagazombie posted:

I know Billionaires and Oil Barons are evil and all but really how are they not running out of servants?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Maudib Arakkis posted:

lol if you think that wasn't on some white savior mess

1. what are you on about (i just skipped forward a bunch of pages)
2. ill assume and cut to the chase that — paul is explicitly the bad guy in dune, if you listen to frank herbert talking about it he says he made paul as the ultimate monomyth character specifically to show why the monomyth sucks poo poo and why we shouldn't believe in or trust god men leaders to secure our future

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
literally frankie boy says it explicitly in this 1 hour interview with him:

https://youtu.be/A-mLVVJkH7I

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

StashAugustine posted:

Yknow you could at least have found an interesting angle like criticizing the casting or restarting the "is saying jihad more or less racist" argument, please do a better job trolling next time

"is saying jihad racist" — Meranda Ketita, who I believe is algerian-american, says in her video[1] that that word choice is explicitly chosen because Algerian resistance to French Colonialism, and indeed any bipoc resistance to colonialism have always been termed "holy wars"/"jihads" by the colonisers.

[1]: https://youtu.be/k_IaHOTO1qY

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Just lol if you think Frank Herbert was pulling some racist poo poo rather than critiquing racism and white saviour mentalities when he's on record stating that he meant Dune as an explicitly anti-Western, anti-Monomyth, anti-White Saviour work, and he went out of his way to write the sequels to explicitly clean that whole thing up.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 7, 2024