Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me. Only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our life styles are probably comparable, I simply am not there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lazyhound posted:

so I ordered some of the film these purport to use and those videos are probably faked because it only really works on the screens I’ve tried if you align it exactly right.

The glasses are like that mural for influences - if it's a real product it sucks, but as an art project it owns

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

bring back old gbs posted:

who gives a fuuuuuck the future is digitally gaslighting broken brained rich people by making snapchat filters that re-upload their photos slightly modified with bigger/smaller features

jsut completely ruin their psyches with the thought of someone seeing a photo where their chin is extra pointy and it got more likes than their original upload. and you know their entire family is grieving over it lmao

Do Hollywood style EMPs exist? Could I set up a luddite hippy camp that sets off an emp at random points throughout the day to stop this Panopticon nonsense?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What's that? Dumb water bottles? Clearly you need Rebo

quote:

How do you make sure the credits go to collectors?
Our partners from Plastic Bank have an established reward system that uses electronic currency to reward people for the plastic bottles they collect. To ensure the rewards go to the hands of the collectors we will use :siren:blockchain:siren:. In simple terms, REBO will report the number of bottles users drink and Plastic Bank will report when the collectors get the rewards.

Who funds the credits?
The credits will be funded by individual and corporate sponsorships.

Their video pitch is a real trip, you keep expecting there to be a punchline, but it never comes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KupJgVupEtk

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I think you can make the argument "trace elements are cool and good, lets make sure all our water is great" without it being all dystopian, but the framing of doing this specifically for depression does kinda weird me out.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The dumbest thing (okay, one of the dumbest things) about Yud's AI game is that "I, a moderately intelligent super genius human, can convince you to release me" doesn't have much to tell us about "a super-intelligent AI will always convince you to release it". Because even if you can resist Yud, he's not an superintelligent AI, so you've not proved anything. The game can only ever prove him right!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

mysterious frankie posted:

The other branches, as I remember it, ail have ads that focus on selling themselves as a gateway to a fulfilling life serving an important cause; Marines stuff is more like “be Ghost Rider and ram a jet ski made of boobies right into the side of Darth Vader to stop him from killing a noble samurai with the One Ring.” which makes me think they mainly want to entice only the loneliest psychotic dorks to join the Corp.

Royal Marines had an advert way back that was literally "do you want to be the badguy in a horror movie": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf-ptEYBEtE

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Amphigory posted:

I was driving my daughter home from nursery last week and an advert came in the radio watch was essentially:

"How has your day been today? A bit boring?"
*sounds of helicopters and massive amounts of machine gun fire*
"I bet you weren't hanging out a helicopter firing a machine gun... Join the army"

Bit shocking

There's a fascinating bit of cultural analysis that could be done looking at all the different military branches/countries and how they try and portray themselves. A lot tend to focus on perseonal potential and the drive to "be the best" but its amazing to me how the navy and air force ones are almost entirely non-violent. I think the UK must be really short of military engineers, there's a navy ad thats basically "if you can fix a bike you can learn to fix a car. And once you can fix a car you can learn to fix a ship engine. And once you can fix a ship engine you can learn to fix a massive gently caress-off cannon".

There was also one a few years back that tried to make logistics sexy, and it very nearly succeeded.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What am i looking at here?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I still don't understand what "owning" means in the context of an NFT, because the piece of art is not the NFT, and owning the NFT gives you no legal rights over the art, right? So this is the equivalent of my mate selling me a plot of land on the moon for 20 quid. Neither of us have anything to do with the moon, my ability to interact with the moon is unchanged, all I've gained is a piece of paper saying I own a plot of land on the moon.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Good to see the algorithmically generated youtube vids have moved beyond peppa pig at the dentist

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

smarxist posted:

Blindsight & Echopraxia are in my top 10

I feel like Blindsight is a more interesting book, but Echopraxia and its techno-lovecraft still rattles around the back of my skull now and again.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Lol at u losers living in 3 dimensions. I only need one unit: length. And it's looooooong

https://www.bulwer-lytton.com/2019 posted:

Space Fleet Commander Brad Brad sat in silence, surrounded by a slowly dissipating cloud of smoke, maintaining the same forlorn frown that had been fixed upon his face since he’d accidentally destroyed the phenomenon known as time, thirteen inches ago.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

silentsnack posted:

also computers would need to get a lot better at improvising and filling in missing information and filtering out noise, which is kinda hard if you don't train your AI to apply thousands of heuristic guesses across billions of simulated hypothetical scenarios and/or develop AGI that can modify itself and invent new skills on the fly... neither of which is even remotely feasible

Or, use loving LIDAR, which is how everything that isn't Tesla decides where things are. But that's not cool and flashy enough for Musk.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Then apple stole the file system for the ipod and no one would shut the gently caress up about apple.

Creative really went nuts with their names for a bit though. Mine was a Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox Xtra something something. It had a dumb, long name, but worked awesome.

I do not understand how a file system can be important enough to be worth stealing. What was special about it?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Why are the leg and shin pads sticking out so much? How is that comfortable/usable?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

silentsnack posted:

Due to the way physics works, armor that isn't bulky doesn't have as much of a damper to absorb kinetic energy before the padding is compressed and the full force of an impact gets transmitted to bones and tissues and such.

Also i'd imagine a lot of things are intentionally overengineered to give more protection than the application really requires, since our brains are dumb and "less risk equals safety to gently caress around" quickly translates into careless injuries.

Oh I was thinking they were meant to be more like elbow and shin pads for for skating. Which given how thin they are I guess are protect against you shredding your flesh rather than breaking bones.

Next question: why tf does this dude need such heavily armoured knees.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

grade school in denmark in the 90s had a couple hours of needlework each week & you had to take a "driving test" and get a "license" before you could use the sewing machines

That seems useful, and "here's how not to shred your hand in a machine" is a very transferable skill.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

This is an unused Gina-centric episode of B99, right?

Right???

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It being psychosomatic would change the appropriate treatment, but wouldn't change the pain and suffering she felt.

I don't know if it's psychosomatic or physiological, but one is not more "real" than the other.

(although people will often use psychosomatic pejoratively, but I will given posters here the benefit of the doubt, until they prove otherwise)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I love how half-arsed the elder-aid and transport explanations are. Dude just wanted to build a robot deer, and then came up with excuses afterwards.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Culture books feel like a weird premise to me. why do the humans have any agency at all, they are basically pets

This is indeed the question of a solid 90% of the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Svaha posted:

This was an actual character in an Iain M. Banks book. I think it was his last one where the entire human race becomes so anarchist that we transcend reality into a higher plane of being.

Not the human race, a different species. But yeah, there's a human in there with poo poo loads of penises. He wants more, but they can't safely expand his vascular system to accomodate any more dicks. It's also a compeltely pointless flex - he fully admits that he's got more dicks than he needs, logistically he can only use a fraction of them at once.

The Hydrogen Sonata is all about existentialism and people's search for meaning and purpose - sometimes that's art, sometimes that's science, sometimes it's an excessive amount of dicks.