Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Alpha3KV posted:

The Hero damage type did not exist until Frozen Throne. In Reign of Chaos, each hero uses one of the other damage types. In this case, Thrall does Normal type damage, same as the grunts and most other melee units. Be aware that Blizzard's WC3 site only gives TFT information, and the expansion made a big overhaul to damage and armor types. The in-game tooltips will give the info accurate to ROC.

To further clarify, all heroes dealt Normal damage, including archer heroes like the Priestess of the Moon.

Magic Damage as an attack type also did not exist until Frozen Throne. Extra little tidbit; and when it did get introduced, units that dealt Magic Damage became actually unable to autoattack units that were immune to magic. Which, if attack-moving near something like a Golem, would result in said casters just running up to the thing.

SirSamVimes posted:

It's probably this. Other Frozen Throne balance changes didn't make it in, so Archers still deal crazy damage.

And to continue this little thought, some balance changes over the course of patches DID make it into the campaigns; for example, an ability for a hero we'll see later, Storm Bolt, was usable on many different types of targets; this was made use of in a mission during the campaign. However, a later patch disallowed Storm Bolt from targetting mechanical units, which meant that a hint telling you to use Storm Bolt on the mission objective targets was now misleading, as you are no longer ABLE to use Storm Bolt on that target, having to resort to whatever ranged units you may have access to. I'll leave out the rest of the details for when we actually get that far.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

Are you sure about that? Because if that's the mission I'm thinking of, Storm Bolt still worked last time I played through which was about a year ago.

If you're thinking of a particular mission with boats to sink, then the only way Storm Bolt will still work is if your game is un-patched; the boats are considered mechanical, and thus illegal targets for Storm Bolt after the patch that changed that.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

I just made sure Warcraft III was fully updated and tested.

The ships weren't considered mechanical, probably specifically to allow Storm Bolt to work.

Huh. That must be a recent thing then. Those ships were tagged as mechanical for a very long time. I just went in and checked myself, as well.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The big reason people go for five peons/peasants is because that's the magic number where, assuming your hall is as close as possible to the mine, there is always a peon inside with minimum standing around. Any less and there will be gaps where there's no one inside, resulting in wasted mine-time, resulting in slower gold income.

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah and this is before they realised that having spellcasters also do respectable ranged damage as well as having powerful spells was a wee bit broken. That's another of the major balance updates that only made it in with the expansion.

Even better, this particular spellcaster has a powerful spell that makes whoever it's cast on (and it can cast it on itself as well as others) even better at autoattacking. So a lot of people would just spam nothing but Shamans.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
One last note on Grom, the novel that served as Thrall's intro to the series (to replace the cancelled game) portrayed Grom as a lot calmer, more clever, and less murder-lust-y; the one big thing I remember is him scolding his warriors for kidnapping a human child, and ordering them to return him to his village unharmed, so as to minimize risk of human soldiers searching for them and retaliating. I've personally always attributed his behavior in this game, as we'll see later down the road, to the circumstances of the plot, rather than simply how he's been since the end of the Second War.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact: Many years later (several expansions into WoW, when things can no longer be considered spoilers for this game), Khadgar does this exact same thing to King Varian Wrynn down south in Stormwind.

Instead of vague doomsaying however, Khadgar gets right to the point: "The Burning Legion has returned." Bam, job done, Varian jumps into action.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

It does end on a hopeful note, with the beginnings of a new human nation under a certain archmage and finally burying the axe between the Alliance and Horde, but... then WoW happened.

In short, reality ensues. Average people have a very hard time letting go of strong grudges and old hatreds, no matter how hard their leaders try to work together. Hell, the Rexxar campaign in Frozen Throne already starts to show how shaky that "peace" is.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

To the contrary, they're brown-skinned, reflecting that they never drank demon's blood. The distinguishing traits of the Shadowmoon were that they were a scholarly, mystical clan who uniquely among the clans valued intellectual pursuits above the physical.

The white/grey skinned orcs are the Shattered Hand clan.

Edit: And in any event, goons corrected me. The guy on the Q&A stream said the brown-skinned orcs from alt-Draenor would be an Allied race, not an Alliance race - no affiliation specified.

Sorry for the derail.

I would have commented on this, but you corrected yourself.

For clarification, "Allied Races" are Blizzard's take on the old Sub-races people in WoW have wanted for a while. So, Highmountain Tauren (aka Moose Tauren, Canadian Tauren, etc), Nightborne (related to Night Elves, but joining the Horde because they get along with the Blood Elves), Lightforged Draenei (shinier than ever), and Void Elves (Blood Elves that dabbled in void magic and got exiled and joined the Alliance) are all playable right now for people who preordered BFA and unlocked them. More coming.

Though if they're not specifying the Shadowmoon exiles, and merely talked about the brown-skinned orcs, then they'll almost certainly be a Horde allied race, not Alliance. People have been asking for playable Brown Orcs since Burning Crusade.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Xenocides posted:

The Frostwolf clan participated in the First War but not the Second. Thus, no wolf rider units in Warcraft 2. The spot was filled by Ogres.

Many clans had Wolfriders, not just the Frostwolves. However, Gul'dan convinced Doomhammer that the Raiders had been loyal to Blackhand (whom Doomhammer betrayed and replaced as Warchief) and were plotting against him, so Doomhammer disbanded them.

But yes, all colors had a clan/kingdom name associated with them for both human and orc in Warcraft 2, but not all of them showed up in campaign, and as the BtDP clan names didn't appear outside campaign, the Blue Draenor Orcs' name never appears in-game, but appears in the files as the Flowerpicker clan. In the base game, the yellow color for both factions is simply listed as "Horde traitors" or "Alliance traitors", with neither showing up in the campaign.. Gilneas, the the black human faction also never appears in any of the campaign maps, which fits the lore of Genn Greymane refusing to contribute more than a token force, determined to simply defend his own lands and nothing more.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact: AI Paladins popping Divine Shield immediately is actually a change to their behavior that happened at some point during the patch cycle of Warcraft 3.

In a completely unpatched game, AI Paladins will actually wait until they're almost dead to pop their Divine Shield. You can sort of see the mark of this in the cutscene where Uther faces the Blademaster; as soon as the Blademaster Image starts to attack, AI Uther pops his shield, which looks a little awkward in a cutscene.

That's because he's not supposed to do so.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

My initial read of that is that it's more of a nerf to them than anything else, since a fully-leveled Paladin can be immune for 45 seconds... Every minute.

Well, depends on whether you want them getting attacked, or do you want enemies attacking OTHER stuff that the Paladin can heal?

Cause they started off only using it in emergencies, then got changed to use it at every opportunity. If we're speaking of the Paladin's personal survivability, it was a big buff to AI Paladins.

And it certainly makes a certain future level more difficult in the process.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Thalyssra in the current expansion is another strong and interesting female character, though she makes a certain... questionable... decision and whether the game will do anything interesting with her in the future remains to be seen.

If you mean joining the Horde, I don't agree that it's so questionable. In terms of Horde and Alliance representatives she's met, the Alliance one helped her only because it meant hurting the Demons' efforts, made it clear she didn't trust Thalyssra and her people, and left as soon as the issue was over.

The Horde representative was sympathetic to their situation, related to it, and stuck around after the problem was over to build diplomatic relations.

Seems a clear choice who to side with, if you ask me.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Warcraft 2 actually had a keyboard shortcut for slowing down or speeding up the gamespeed, and I actually used that frequently in my most recent playthrough of it, mostly for bursts of casting stuff. Like, about to fight, set gamespeed to minimum, have Ogre-magi bloodlust everything, crank gamespeed back up. Closest you'll get to the Computer-style "everything casts their spells simultaneously" level micro.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

painedforever posted:

I did not know that!

I always thought it was MechCommander II which had that "pause game to give orders thing". Or am I thinking of something else?

To be fair, you can't actually PAUSE the game and still give commands... but slowing the speed down to the slowest setting is pretty drat close.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Personally, I can't help but suspect they have more up their sleeve.

For a dead game like Warcraft 3, would they really hold an Invitational like this, have everyone involved and invited keep quiet about it, all this fuss... for widescreen support and more players per map?

They didn't even invite enough big name players to take advantage of the increased players-per-map, according to what I've seen.

And it doesn't explain the presence of the player who, I'm told, usually REJECTS tournament invites.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Kith posted:

There are a variety of unused audio files for The Culling. Nearly all of them were deemed "too disturbing" and were cut as a result.
  • Mal'Ganis: Obviously...you are not as strong as the Dark Lord believed. Now, feel the wrath of the Scourge, as you drown under the flood of the living dead!
  • Peasant: The roof is collapsing! Run!
  • Peasant: What did we do to you?
  • Peasant: You're suppose to be our prince!
  • Peasant: You're suppose to be the Defender of Lordaeron!
  • Peasant: The King's men are attacking! Run for your lives!
  • Peasant: The walls are falling in! Get out!
  • Peasant: What have you done? What's going on?
  • Peasant: Mercy, milord!
  • Peasant: What have you done!?

Actually, I believe the Mal'Ganis line does get used.

It's the line that plays if Mal'Ganis gets 100 zombies before you do.

As for the way he makes them disappear, he actually uses a spell to make it happen, they don't just use triggers and play the casting animation. The spell even has a tooltip, which talks about storing the zombie in some sort of pocket dimension or something for later use.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
To be fair, a significant chunk of that is simply a case of "Blizzard doesn't update old content to current lore". For good reasons. If they did, there would probably no longer be content there to do.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Xander77 posted:

It demonstrated the exact opposite. The exact literal quote, directed at Uther, is "These people have all been infected! They may look fine now, but it's just a matter of time before they turn into the undead!"

Worth noting is that Arthas is, at that point, the only one who realizes that the plague itself is what's turning them into undead.

All Arthas tells Uther is that they're infected, and that they're gonna turn into undead. As far as Uther knows, these are two separate events, only related through the fact that the Plague will likely kill them, allowing someone ELSE to raise them as undead. Uther is not told that the Plague itself is what will turn them into undead.

He doesn't know.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

: No matter. He can't hide from me forever. Captain, tell Thassarian to establish this site as our primary base.

Just for reference for those who haven't played WC3, since Thassarian as a character hadn't been introduced yet, DN editted this line slightly. In the game, Arthas tells the Captain "I want you to establish this site" etc. Curiously, the Captain speaks with the Knight's voice here, instead of the Captain's voice. A small, but very noticeable detail.

Also, a very important detail about Steam Tanks: They are the only attacking unit in the game that can only attack buildings. It is completely helpless against other units, aside from its spectacular durability to all things not siege damage. Steam Tanks are destructive as all hell, but if it's not a building you're after, the Tank is worthless. The expansion changed their design slightly, and their name, but also gave them an upgrade that allows them to attack air units. Still helpless against ground units, but it gave the Steam Tank (now called the Siege Engine) some more versatility. Meanwhile, the Gyrocopter, renamed to the Flying Machine, was turned into a dirt-cheap unit with rock-bottom stats all around. It's really depressing.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

MagusofStars posted:

The part that I’ve always thought makes no sense about this part? Muradin.

So we were trapped in this frozen hellhole continent expecting to be nothing but a cold corpse eaten by spiders, then the chance for escape comes. Awesome, thanks Arthas! ...Wait, what the gently caress? You want to burn the entire fleet, trapping us here again? No, I am not okay with that.

Muradin knew Arthas when he was a child - he taught Arthas how to fight, even (mentioned in the WC3 manual, I believe). He wants to help his friend. He questions burning the ships, but when Arthas shows he's determined to stay the course, Muradin decides to support his friend. We'll see how long that lasts, though...

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

The first human king killed so drat many trolls that in WoW, troll NPCs instinctively freak the gently caress out when they see the king's sword and run away because countless of their ancestors were killed by that blade.

Not a joke - Arms warriors in Legion acquired the weapon "Strom'kar the Warbreaker", and it has a passive, hidden effect that's not mentioned anywhere on the weapon, and doesn't come up in current content because Trolls aren't involved in Legion: Nearby troll NPCs get afflicted with a Fear effect that lasts two minutes.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

lobster22221 posted:

The only thing that remotely slows him down is the inability to heal himself.

Wait, buildings could as well? I never knew that.

Well, that and Frost Wyrms. Orbs didn't have the "attack air units" feature in the original campaigns; he has to use Holy Light to gradually take them out.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Mazerunner posted:

You know, something that just occurred to me is that for Humans, their last-ditch defense (or cheesy rush strat) is to outfit their peasants with weapons and engage in melee... while for the orcs, it's to hide away in burrows and shoot from range. Just kind of a funny thematic reversal I guess.

Thing is, human peasants are people who could, if needed, train to be soldiers, and the very fact that they're able to pick up equipment and be decent with it shows they're already hardy, tough people who would just need some training and discipline.

Orc Peons however, are the idiots and cowards among the orcs who are horrible at everything but menial labor. Their defense is to hide them away somewhere they can try to do something from safety because the Orcs have already decided that sending them into melee combat is a waste of time.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

achtungnight posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the individual Orc clans from WC2 were disappearing too.

Honestly, aside from a few notable examples, most Clan Identity was largely killed off by the Internment camps. Though I imagine many Orcs still remember what clans they came from or descended from, most of them simply identify as members of the Horde by the time WoW rolls around. Those notable exceptions are those Clans in the Horde who had a notable population that never got interned, like the Warsong or the Frostwolves. Another clan name or two might still be around, but might not be used quite the same way; there is a spy/assassin organization in Orgrimmar named after the Shattered Hand, but there are few other links to the clan.

achtungnight posted:

Something else I’m curious about- WC3 was the first Real-Time Strategy game I played where the campaigns and different forces were woven into a connected story instead of individual and possibly mutually exclusive plots for each separate force. Starcraft was also like that IIRC, and Starcraft 2 even more so. Has anyone played any other games in the genre like this? I have not, but now that I think about it I am interested in knowing if they exist.

Age of Mythology did this; you played as a specific character/group of characters, and the forces available to them changed based on where they were in the world, and the situation unfolding around them. There's a LP of it going in this very forum, which has finished the original campaign, but is taking a break before starting up I think the first expansion's campaign next.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

McTimmy posted:

There weren't that many clans actually put into the Internment camps, all told.

Of the fourteen clans

Frostwolf, Dragonmaw, Bleeding Hollow and Warsong evaded capture entirely.
Stormreaver, Twilight's Hammer and Burning Blade were wiped out.
Laughing Skull, Shattered Hand, Bonechewer, Thunderlord, and Shadowmoon all started and ended BtDP on Draenor.

Only Blackrock and Black Tooth were captured, and Black Tooth split off after the camps were liberated. Orcs from all clans were captured (Blademaster heroes are Burning Blade specifically) but the bulk of the clans were otherwise free.

It makes Grom's "only chieftain never caught!" even more silly.

The Bleeding Hollow evaded capture initially, but many of them ended up fleeing back to Azeroth toward the end of the events of Beyond the Dark Portal, getting captured and rounded up for the camps. Source: Warcraft 3 manual, partially retconned by BtDP novel in that Kilrogg is killed instead of fleeing, but I don't think it stops parts of the clan from fleeing to Azeroth. This may fall into the "Orcs from all clans were captured" bit, though.

Regardless, the orcs that got interned did end up losing most or all of their clan identity. The Orc clans that still have a decent "clan" presence by the time WoW comes around are the ones who maintained a significant "uncaptured" presence.

This does include the Blackrock and Black Tooth Grin, though; not as many BTG's got captured as one might think. Rend and Maim took a number of survivors from the Black Tooth Grin and Blackrock Clans and evaded the Alliance forces until they moved on, toward the Portal, at which point they snuck in and took up residence within Blackrock Mountain, fighting for control of it against the Dark Iron Dwarves. Of course, by this point the Black Tooth Grin clan simply started calling itself the Blackrock clan again, since the only reason they'd split off in the first place was because of Doomhammer's betrayal of their father, Blackhand; and Doomhammer wasn't around anymore.

As for Grom's "only chieftain never caught" thing, that was, to be fair, before a lot of this lore was developed.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 15, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Calax posted:

The Frostwolves themselves were effectively wiped out during Gul'Dan's purge of the ranks after Warcraft 1. Of the rest in the Warcraft 2 manual, 2 were wiped out by other members of the Horde (Twilight Hammer and Stormreavers), three were tossed into the camps (Blackrock, Gap Tooth Grin and Bleeding Hollow), while one descended further into Demonic Anarchy (Burning Blade). And then there was the Dragonmaw who basically hid in a mountain until the Day of the Dragon.

After which they were tossed in the camps. Though it's noteworthy that by that time Zuluhed wasn't with them; Zuluhed actually screwed off to Draenor with a portion of the clan.. Players killed him personally in Burning Crusade.

Worth noting, the Lord of the Clans novel was before the Novelization of the first and second wars, and thus both Kargath and Kilrogg crossing to Azeroth before Khadgar closed the portal had not yet been retconned. Neither appeared in the novel at all, though both appeared in the cancelled "Lord of the Clans" game it was based on (though that had a whole bunch of other various lore tidbits that would later be retconned... though I'm not convinced that's the right term, since they never made it to release to become canon in the first place)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is because Grom is actually kind of an idiot who happens to be very good at moments of directed violence, but is bad at long term planning.

He has his moments; like in the Lord of the Clans novel, when he got pissed at his men for taking a human child captive, knowing that its parents would track it down and probably find them. He proceeded to order then to take it back where they found him (blindfolded of course, just as they brought him here).

He also relents to Thrall's wisdom when Grom wants to storm the camps immediately, but Thrall points out that Winter's approaching fast, and feeding an army would be hardest. Thrall uses the delay to seek out the Frostwolf clan.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact: Not all of those bandits inflict poison. Only the "Assassin", the guy throwing spears actually inflicts poison.

However, he has a small AI quirk that causes his to switch targets with every attack to spread poison to as many targets as possible! This is also true of the Gnoll assassin unit with poison arrows.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
To clarify, the player character doesn't actually represent any particular character; DN is simply doing that for his own narrative purposes.

As for Death Knights formerly being Orc units, well. Things get a bit complicated. You see, Arthas is the first of what gets called "Second Generation Death Knights". The first generation of Death Knights were created by Gul'dan in the Second War (AKA Warcraft 2), and were the souls of slaughtered Orc Warlocks bound into the corpses of fallen human Knights from Stormwind. The Necrolytes from Warcraft 1 were sacrificed to be... essentially used as glue and batteries to make it all work.

Thing is, most of those Death Knights ended up following Ner'zhul into the Twisting Nether after the events of Beyond the Dark Portal tore Draenor apart. They, along with the loyal Shadowmoon Orcs that went as well, were torn apart and remade into Liches to serve Ner'zhul's will in death. Yes, Liches like we fought in the previous Human Campaign.

Arthas is a new generation of Death Knight with similar powers (but not the same; no Death and Decay for Arthas!), but also a much stronger bent toward physical combat. Many Second Gen. Death Knights were, like Arthas, Paladins that ended up losing their faith and falling to darkness.

There is another, Third generation of Death Knights later, but those are just WoW player characters. The less said about that here, the better.

And finally, yes, the Shade does have attack quotes. It does mean that if other, more aggressive units decide to use their voice, it still works because they have attack quotes!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

In fact, there's a curious example of this; a character we'll meet a few chapters from now who is never controllable while alive, anyway has lines for, as painedforever categorizes them, "What", "Warcry", and "Pissed". But not for "Yes" or "Attack". As a result, she's completely silent when you're giving her commands except for the occasional right-click on an enemy hero, when the Warcry triggers.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
It's up to you. We might see some things in cinematics we weren't meant to at the sides of the screen, but other than that, it won't affect much.

Although worth noting, don't be confused when you update, and get into game and it's still 4:3, the menu screens are not widescreen, but in-game it will be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I really hope this isn't dead. :(

• Locked thread