Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Except Essentials if you count it.

If you're counting iterative mid-editions, 3.5e sold worse year-on-year than 3.0e did, and sold fewer copies in total over the course of its five-year run than 3.0e did in three years.

At any rate, the new edition outselling the previous edition has only been the rule since 3.0e. 2e sold worse than 1e for sure, and I'd be surprised if any subsequent edition's best year beat 1e's best year in terms of copies moved. And, of course, no edition of the PHB has ever come close to the 1.5 million copies that the Red Box Basic Set moved over the course of its lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Paolomania posted:

We are living in a timeline where GotG, with even less of a household name than D&D, made “generic party-based science fantasy” into a blockbuster franchise.

Guardians of the Galaxy has the Marvel brand name attached and was the latest entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe series of films. No D&D product could possibly benefit from anything comparable.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

A dungeon crawl at heart is an alternate universe take on a heist.

"A dungeon crawl is just a badly planned heist" is the explicit premise of the section of the Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide for using the Leverage/Cortex Action ruleset to run the dungeon fantasy genre.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Meinberg posted:

Nope, White Wolf kept Exalted too, OPP is just licensing it. All they got is Aeon and Scion.

OPP also co-owns the Scarred Lands d20 setting with Nocturnal Media. OPP has handled the bulk of that material, especially since the death of Stewart Wieck, who practically ran Nocturnal by himself.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

clockworkjoe posted:

https://www.evilhat.com/home/refocused-resized-hat-mode-activated/

Evil Hat scaling back because non-RPGs are not selling as well as they had hoped.

Luckily, they have a Cthulhu-themed Kickstarter launching early next year, which should hopefully help stanch the bleeding from their failed ventures.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Swedracula is a derisive nickname because he won a contest to cosplay as Dracula and got to be used in official art. He's heavily involved in the VTM nordic LARPing scene.

I thought he paid money to cosplay as Dracula as part of the V20 crowdfunding campaign.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Are they still building essentially empty cities?

Most of the so-called "ghost cities" aren't anywhere close to being empty, although very few of them have come anywhere close to the level of anticipated occupancy that they were built to accommodate. For example, Kangbashi District in the city of Ordos was built with the intent of relocating between half a million and a million people there from desertified rural Mongolia, but "only" around 200,000 people live there today. That's nowhere near the estimated number, but is only small by the standards of Chinese megacities.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Andrast posted:

I have read all the books on my bookshelf. Is that weird or something?

Yes, absolutely.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Not only was Diablo an official D&D setting, it's part of the core multiverse: in Die Vecna Die, the adventure that set up the in-universe changes from 2e to 3e, the Golem spell is reprinted from the 2e Diablo book with a note that Vecna's minions acquired it from a particularly diabolical world.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Dexo posted:

I mean he was on literally far and away the most successful version of D&D

As far as I know, 5e has yet to meet the sales figures that were set by 1e, let alone the multiple million-selling iterations of the Basic Set

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

moths posted:

If Lou Zocchi turns out to be an escaped nazi I am through with this hobby.

At one of the first Gencons, back when it was a con almost purely for historical wargames, Lou Zocchi physically ejected the guys selling "historical" Nazi "memorabilia" from the premises

Or at least that's how I heard the story

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Tibalt posted:

I'm not sure the context that moths is referring to, but in my experience/perception someone who is 'friendly' with a bunch of exes is either a serial dater, or an 'open relationship' harem builder or serial cheater - they're clearly keeping their previous options open.

I wouldn't consider it a red flag they're a bad person, but I wouldn't get romantically entagled with any of the people involved.

'serial dater' huh

just how many people can one date before it gets pathologized

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Joe Slowboat posted:

This is the official Exalted position and has been since Ex1, but unfortunately both 1e and 2e didn't really follow through: They released modules/adventure paths with wide-ranging metaplot-like events. Thankfully they didn't follow the 'multiple books continuously developing the same story' approach, but Return of the Scarlet Empress did real damage in 2e.

Return of the Scarlet Empress is probably a bad example, given that it was nearly the final book in the Exalted line when it was published. There wasn't a whole lot of 2e after that for it to affect, even after Onyx Path picked up the license a couple years later.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

Both 2chan and 4chan are owned by Nishimura. That's who moot sold 4chan to and the guy who originally made 2chan and has been moderating the full Trump era of 4chan /pol/

You're still confusing 2chan and 2channel. 2channel is the original one that Nishimura and the 8chan guy ran together. 2chan (Futaba Channel) is a twenty-year-old spinoff site that was never owned by either.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Arivia posted:

They brought the OGL back for 5e after not using it for 4e, so they can’t be TOO mad.

Nearly everything in the 5e SRD is the 5e versions of stuff that was already in the 3e SRD, with a few exceptions (mainly warlocks and dragonborn). The SRD has only one subclass for each class, only one background, only one feat, etc. They're fine with people using the OGL to create new derivative works (most of which you didn't need the OGL to legally create and sell in the first place) but they're not going to allow a Pathfinder situation to come up where a third party can repackage and resell the entirety of the game.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

If the "buckets theory" ever actually held true in the 80s (and that's a big "if"), it definitely broke down in the 90s, where much of the D&D player base fractured into multiple mostly-incompatible player bases who only bought material for one or two campaign settings and ignored all the rest of them, which meant that a significant majority of TSR's output wouldn't ever sell to a majority of the players who were still actively buying D&D material. The buckets didn't expand the player base by any meaningful degree; settings like Ravenloft or Planescape were still AD&D through and through, and anyone who'd moved on from D&D wasn't going to pick it up again now that it had different theming but still retained all the same rules.

On top of that, most of the material they were producing at the height of campaign setting glut diversity was kept at a price point where it became marginally profitable or outright unprofitable; once someone actually ran the numbers on what a boxed set cost to produce versus how many copies they were selling, the price jumped up from $20 each to $40-$50 each in the space of about a year. I've never heard anyone who worked at TSR at the time describe the breadth of material produced for the myriad campaign settings of the time as something that increased overall revenues, but I have heard many of them say the exact opposite.

The various campaign settings that were killed off, as beloved as they might have been by the relatively small fraction of players who ever paid money for them, were killed off specifically because they weren't selling well enough to justify making more material for them. (I believe the sole exception was Al-Qadim, which was intended to be a one-year limited run but sold well enough to merit extending the product line for another year or so.)

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

theironjef posted:

Every version of D&D has so far been the most financially successful version of D&D.

Not strictly true; 5e outsold 4e which outsold 3e which outsold 2e, but as far as I know, 5e hasn't yet outsold 1e. And of course nothing ever came close to the various iterations of the D&D Basic Set, which collectively sold almost three million copies from the original late-70s Red Box through the early-90s Black Box. I don't doubt that D&D as a brand is bringing in more money now than it ever did in its 80s heyday, but the rulebooks themselves are only a fraction of that.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

A revamped Spelljammer that can just push Starfinder out of whatever tiny niche it has once and for all seems like a possibility.

There isn't really much thematic or mechanical overlap between the two, considering that Starfinder is crunchy futuristic science fiction and Spelljammer is very strictly not that. Genre-wise, Spelljammer has about as much in common with Starfinder as it does with Shadowrun.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Also Witch and Sorcerer kind of throw off the assignment of spell schools to stats as simply as that.

Likewise with champion and monk.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Splicer posted:

It's the new lineages thing so you get +2 to whatever, +1 to whatever, a bunch of being dead stuff (like as you said no sleeping) then you write "skeleton" or "frankenstein" or whatever under species.

I'm not really seeing how that's significantly different from, let alone "considerably superior" to, the skeleton ancestry in Pathfinder 2e.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s because immersion and realism are separate things and one doesn’t necessarily lend to the other, especially for all people.

"immersion" has supplanted "simulationism" as the hot term that's bandied about constantly despite being utterly meaningless on its own, because people use it to refer simultaneously to both systems that emulate realism and systems that emulate genre fidelity, as if those two goals aren't inherently contradictory

or rather, they're contradictory unless you operate on the unstated assumption that old-school-style D&D is (against all common sense) both realistic and successful at simulating a genre of fantasy fiction that exists outside of its own tropes

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Warthur posted:

That and it was one of the orange hardcovers, and dropped before that had been devalued. In 1985 a new hardcover rulebook for AD&D felt like a big deal still, after Unearthed Arcana, the two Survival Guides, etc., less so.

Yeah, I don't think it's a coincidence that the settings that topped 200k units sold were the ones that had hardcovers on the market during 1e's heyday or 2e's launch window.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

every version of D&D has outsold the previous one. the market didn't "reject" 4E, 4E out-performed an edition which itself spawned such a huge wave of imitators and compatible games that it saturated the market

like if 4E counts as a "rejected" RPG than 5E D&D is literally the only RPG to ever be accepted lol

as far as I know, 5e has yet to sell as many copies as 1e, so until it does the market has clearly rejected 5e

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

So they're releasing the SRD under Creative Commons... minus the entirety of the sections describing races, classes, spells, monsters and magic items.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

I imagine that stuff will be filled in come the release of One D&D.

quote:

• The core D&D mechanics, which are located at pages 56-104, 254-260, and 358-359 of this System Reference Document 5.1 (but not the examples used on those pages), are licensed to you under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0). This means that Wizards is not placing any limitations at all on how you use that content.
  • Our copyright rights in the other content included in this System Reference Document are licensed to you under the Open Game License 1.2.

They wouldn't have cited specific page numbers in the current SRD if that wasn't an indicator of exactly what is and isn't being released under CC once the new OGL is out.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

The material published in the SRD they just put out that is under CC-BY licensing - CC-BY specifically, not CC-BY-SA or CC-BY-ND - includes this:

You cannot use the specific expression (backstory, description, art, etc.) of the vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich still.

But his name for a vampire is now free to use.

So are the monster names beholder and mind flayer, though again, not their specific expressions, which were not included.

The 5e SRD, unlike the 3e SRD, has always been full of stuff like this that technically wasn't permissible to use as-is because the proper names theoretically fell under the domain of "product identity" without being individually called out as such. That they shoved the extant SRD into CC without any changes to excise their IP shows exactly how rushed and panicked they must have been in making this move.

At any rate, some of the monsters in the SRD like the mind flayer have seen enough unlicensed use in commercial video games over the decades to set a pretty good precedent for Wizards having failed to defend their trademarks on them, if they ever had any in the first place.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

So sale numbers for Pathfinder 2e were low at release? I guess that's not surprising if a lot of the foundational player base was built around not wanting to convert to a new game edition and slowly tapering off from there. Looks like they're making up for that now though, at least in the short term.

I don't think that the actual sales of PF2e were ever low, even relative to 1e's peak; Paizo has been pretty clear all along that 2e blew away their prior sales expectations, and that several of the years that 2e was out were their highest-earning years ever. If anything was flagging at first, it was the player numbers, though that's almost to be expected given how much of the existing Pathfinder player base engages in the game primarily through long-running adventure paths, which would preclude switching systems for months on end.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The classes should clearly be Hero, Homeless Guy and Detective.

is Columbo dual- or triple-classed

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Making it 4-bit with D&D gets fraught because the obvious source of more traditional classes is "nature" which gets you barbarians and druids and shamans and all that fun stuff... and then you have to make up new things to fill out the grid and you start realizing that taking classes and making them "less civilized" actually feels kinda gross. You start feeling like you've got on jodhpurs and a pith helmet.

"Primal" and "psionic" are the same power source but with a different emphasis: one draws from the essence of the world around you and the other draws directly from your own essence. The primal power source eats psionics to expand the Barbarian/Druid cultural baggage with more of an Avatar: The Last Airbender vibe. (If nothing else, psionics has always been an awkward fit into the game that's only stuck around out of deference to tradition, so I'm all in favor of eliminating it outright by folding what little of it remains conceptually coherent in a fantasy game into the primal power source.)

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Angrymog posted:

And those are just an evolution of the Kits from 2e's brown books.

If anything, the direct precedents of PF 1e's archetypes are the endless variant class rules that Paizo published in the last few years of Dragon magazine. 99% of kits don't swap out class features like archetypes do; in post-2e editions' design space, they're effectively replicated by taking a feat or background instead of altering the class chassis itself.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Splicer posted:

It's also unclear if being unable to detect enemies actually does lead to existing enemies becoming undetected, and I've a feeling the answer is "ask your gm". The problem isn't keywords, it's that the person who wrote this condition text is an idiot.

In the more detailed section on detecting creatures on page 466, it specifically points out that a creature would be hidden to you if you're blinded (and if it moved out of the space where you had last seen it, it would become undetected).

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Narsham posted:

You could avoid the whole problem by simplifying: just define other "precise senses" as behaving like vision for the purposes of the perception rules. A lot of them intuitively should, I expect: Truesight is sight, after all. Something like Blindsense or Echolocation or Tremorsense can just be written as "treat this sense as a type of vision for purposes of other rules" and you're finished. That covers both perception/blinding and anything else that requires sight (spell targeting, say). And if the "blinded" condition means "loss of sight or any sense that is treated as sight," then blinding effects work perfectly well on creatures with alternate forms of vision. For Echolocation, say "immune to the blinded condition, but treat the deafened condition as if the creature were blinded"; for Tremorsense, just "immune to the blinded condition."

This is pretty much what's in the rulebook already:

quote:

DETECTING WITH OTHER SENSES
Most abilities that designate “a creature you can see”
or the like function just as well if the user can precisely
sense the subject with a different sense. If a monster
uses a sense other than vision, the GM can adapt ways of
avoiding detection that work with the monster’s senses.
For example, a creature that has echolocation might use
hearing as a primary sense. This could mean its quarry is
concealed in a noisy chamber, hidden in a great enough
din, or invisible under a silence spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

That wasn't a rep, that was their CEO and the director of BG3. They canned work on expansions and BG4 because everyone they worked with at WotC got got in the Christmas layoffs and they saw the writing on the wall about working with Hasbro. They're not going to burn WoTC over it, because they want to play nice for future opportunities with other licensing situations.

The CEO said very explicitly that they were doing something new because they wanted to, not because their relationship with Wizards/D&D soured.

https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/1771467986701819943

As tempting as it is to directly blame WotC for Larian moving on, that reading isn't actually supported by what he's said unless you decide that he was lying (but only when he said nice things about WotC, not when he said things that were critical of them).